Poll: Buchner or Hartman

Poll: Buchner or Hartman

• Buchner

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Hartman

Votes: 58 81.7%

• Total voters

Reactions: notredamerises23
I picked Buchner but there is zero chance I would want to miss out on Hartman. Look...guys get injured all the time...I recruit Harman and tell him unless he shows up and lays an egg or Buchner shows up and looks like Patrick Mahomes you will start day 1 and keep it unless you play consistently poorly and practice consistently poorly.

Reactions: bullpride9
My biggest concern is Buchner getting any practice reps, which might hinder Hartman's success in prepping for Ohio State. Buchner is a great backup, where he belongs at a blue blood like ND. He would not start for any top 5 program over the past 10 years.

Reactions: 88ND
I have nothing personal against Buchner. I would love for him to be better. I can tell you he can't do this and I doubt he will ever be able to do it.

I don’t think Buchner has all the tools to be a very great QB.Consistency with passing will cause a couple L’s over the course of a season, especially against big time opponents. Bring in Hartman for a year with Buchner being a backup. Get him reps throughout the season with packages, especially with weak opponents. Then in 2024 let Buchner/Minchey duke it out. Whoever wins that battle wins that battle.

I don’t think Buchner has all the tools to be a very great QB.Consistency with passing will cause a couple L’s over the course of a season, especially against big time opponents. Bring in Hartman for a year with Buchner being a backup. Get him reps throughout the season with packages, especially with weak opponents. Then in 2024 let Buchner/Minchey duke it out. Whoever wins that battle wins that battle.
#1 Buchner won't make it through a season injury free...
So right off the bat you've got to have a plan B that's better than your plan A....if he is Plan A.

He won't stick around. Truth be told I'm not certain he doesn't enter the portal now.
If Hartman says he's coming here I bet Buchner leaves

Reactions: notredamerises23
In that time he gets how many more pick 6’s does he throw? The kid just won his first game ever, barely.

Hartman all day.
One was his fault, the other was a tipped ball. Shoot JJ McCarthy threw a couple as well. Your point?

hartman all day in 23 with buchner packages

If minchey is the real deal you may want to get him some reps too

Then in 24 it's a 3 man competition between buchner minchey and carr

Hartman is the NCAA TD leader and has about 13000 passing yards. He has started around 40 games. Buchner excites me but he can't compete with those numbers.

Hartman is the NCAA TD leader and has about 13000 passing yards. He has started around 40 games. Buchner excites me but he can't compete with those numbers.
Many think Buchner has more upside than Hartman, but there is 0 actual reason to think that. More just a fantasy in their minds. If we are talking about more upside then the guy on the roster that might have more upside is Minchey (but his floor is way way lower right now) and Carr will also bring that more concurred upside in 2024. Buchner doesn't show me anything besides running ability that proves any degree of higher upside over Hartman. Will Buchner very likely start in 2024? Yes, I think he will and ND will need to convince him that they are done in the portal. If they can convince him that they are done with the portal, I think Buchner will start in 2024 and 2025. I think Minchey and Carr will be pushing for reps by late 2025 and one likely transfers. However, ND needs to get TB12 meaningful snaps in every game next season, imo. Buchner needs to be an active backup QB. Not your run of the mill Angeli type. Buchner needs to be on the field, getting snaps, and throwing the ball. There shouldn't be a QB controversy.

Last edited:
Reactions: SIhoosier26
I agree, Hartman reached his ceiling, Buchner hasn't even scratched the surface.
Nope. But we don't have time to play the wait until next year game. Freeman and Rees learned that you need to win now. Buchner can get better if he gets snaps next year and start in 2024. That's entirely appropriate at a blue blood like ND.

Nope. But we don't have time to play the wait until next year game. Freeman and Rees learned that you need to win now. Buchner can get better if he gets snaps next year and start in 2024. That's entirely appropriate at a blue blood like ND.
You think Hartman is the next savior. Look at his stats vs Liberty. lol. If anything hartman has shown he is inconsistent.

Reactions: Ndapolis1
You think Hartman is the next savior. Look at his stats vs Liberty. lol. If anything hartman has shown he is inconsistent.
I do not think he's the savior, more the getting back to where we were (making playoff games and not losing to Marshall). To get a savior we need CJ Carr to turn into Max Duggan and we need 3 more top 10 recruiting classes. Hartman > Buchner in 2023. That's all I care about. Winning.

I agree, Hartman reached his ceiling, Buchner hasn't even scratched the surface.
That’s the problem…. He’s been here two years and can’t even scratch the surface of what it takes to be championship qb

I do not think he's the savior, more the getting back to where we were (making playoff games and not losing to Marshall). To get a savior we need CJ Carr to turn into Max Duggan and we need 3 more top 10 recruiting classes. Hartman > Buchner in 2023. That's all I care about. Winning.
wow i didn't know you could see into the future with Hartman > Buchner in 10 months. Do you also know who is going to win the world series next year?

Reactions: Ndapolis1
I can't see how you can say he reached his ceiling at Wake. That's like saying Matt Stafford reached his ceiling at Detroit.

wow i didn't know you could see into the future with Hartman > Buchner in 10 months. Do you also know who is going to win the world series next year?
I think you're in the minority opinion if you think Buchner will be better than Hartman 10 months from now. But no, I do not know anything for certain. I can admit that.

Your analogy is dumb. NFL is completely different animal compared to college.
OK. Well I don't think CJ Stroud would be as good of a quarterback if he played for Rutgers. I don't think Ian Book would have bee as good of a QB if he played for Vanderbilt. I don't think Brady Quinn would have been as good without Jeff Smardzija. I think it's a fair analysis to say that a good offensive line, good running backs, and good receivers can push the needle a bit for a QB. Maybe that's dumb.

#1 Buchner won't make it through a season injury free...
So right off the bat you've got to have a plan B that's better than your plan A....if he is Plan A.

He won't stick around. Truth be told I'm not certain he doesn't enter the portal now.
If Hartman says he's coming here I bet Buchner leaves
I'll only say this. If I'm Buchner, I'm THINKING ABOUT IT. But then I'm NOT Buchner.

What's IRONIC is that if he stays, this will be the SECOND PORTAL QB he will compete against. And that's certainly GROUNDS for the DEJA VU BLUES.

Here's another thought. If he stays and BACKSTOPS Hartman, Freeman could still go out to the market again NEXT YEAR as Buchner could still be UNPROVEN and/or SHORT OF EXPERIENCE.

It's all SHORT-TERM NOW, and Freeman TOO still has to prove himself as a viable LONG-TERM investment. If it's Freeman or Buchner, Freeman will pick Freeman. Who wouldn't? He certainly had no qualms about leveling with Pyne.

Spring practice should clarify things. If Buchner doesn't win the job and becomes disenchanted, he has that additional portal period in -- what is it -- May?

Should be INTERESTING. Assuming Buchner doesn't BOLT NOW in line with your HUNCH.

One was his fault, the other was a tipped ball. Shoot JJ McCarthy threw a couple as well. Your point?
Apparently you didn't watch the game...
that tipped ball was still getting intercepted

I'll only say this. If I'm Buchner, I'm THINKING ABOUT IT. But then I'm NOT Buchner.

What's IRONIC is that if he stays, this will be the SECOND PORTAL QB he will compete against. And that's certainly GROUNDS for the DEJA VU BLUES.

Here's another thought. If he stays and BACKSTOPS Hartman, Freeman could still go out to the market again NEXT YEAR as Buchner could still be UNPROVEN and/or SHORT OF EXPERIENCE.

It's all SHORT-TERM NOW, and Freeman TOO still has to prove himself as a viable LONG-TERM investment. If it's Freeman or Buchner, Freeman will pick Freeman. Who wouldn't? He certainly had no qualms about leveling with Pyne.

Spring practice should clarify things. If Buchner doesn't win the job and becomes disenchanted, he has that additional portal period in -- what is it -- May?

Should be INTERESTING. Assuming Buchner doesn't BOLT NOW in line with your HUNCH.
I said the above prior to Hartman making his commitment.
With that cemented it's all over now.
There is no way Hartman came here to possibly compete. No way in hell.
Your analogy is dumb. NFL is completely different animal compared to college.
He's drawing a parallel comparison and it does fit.
The Lions are bad. Wake typically isn't a powerhouse.

Stafford got more collective help on the Rams than the Lions.
Again...the parallel in that odds are he should get more collective help playing here than Wake.

Reactions: Notre Dame du Lac
OK. Well I don't think CJ Stroud would be as good of a quarterback if he played for Rutgers. I don't think Ian Book would have bee as good of a QB if he played for Vanderbilt. I don't think Brady Quinn would have been as good without Jeff Smardzija. I think it's a fair analysis to say that a good offensive line, good running backs, and good receivers can push the needle a bit for a QB. Maybe that's dumb.
You're spot on.

Let's not forget defensive help as well.

Getting stops from your defense occasionally helps keep things from getting into a pressure packed situation needing to score a TD in record speed every possession.

Hartman will have more collective help here than Wake

Reactions: Notre Dame du Lac
You're spot on.

Let's not forget defensive help as well.

Getting stops from your defense occasionally helps keep things from getting into a pressure packed situation needing to score a TD in record speed every possession.

Hartman will have more collective help here than Wake
It's precisely why he came to ND instead of returning and throwing 4200 yards at Wake again. He thinks he can come to ND and throw for 4600 yards. The defense is icing on the cake. Had Hartman played for ND this past season, we were without a doubt in the playoffs, even if we lost to Ohio State, which I think we win with Hartman. Our defense held Stroud to 21. Hartman would have scored more than 21 with our defensive performance. Also, if he improves his 4200 yards from 2021, it's going to be hard for someone not to draft him.

In 2021 Hartman had 7th most passing yards in the nation at Wake. Names above him were guys like CJ Stroud and Bryce Young. Recall, Bryce Young had the Heisman trophy winner as his receiver and an amazing line and defense. Stroud didn't exactly have shit receivers or a shit team either. How many yards would Hartman have thrown for had he been the QB at Ohio State or Alabama instead? Also, Bryce Young attempted about 50 more passes that season, so it wasn't like Hartman was throwing more often either.

It is completely conceivable that Hartman can be in the top 5 in passing yards in 2023. Completely conceivable.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT