ADVERTISEMENT

Player's Walk

irishandy

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2022
Eric or Tyler- I have a question. I thought I read that Marcus Freeman was looking to change the players walk into the stadium this year. Has that change been made where the players are walking into the stadium from the Basilica or are they walking by the library?

Appreciate what you've both done for the website. Thank you.

Irishandy

Eric or Tyler- I have a question. I thought I read that Marcus Freeman was looking to change the players walk into the stadium this year. Has that change been made where the players are walking into the stadium from the Basilica or are they walking by the library?

Appreciate what you've both done for the website. Thank you.

Irishandy
Think this should answer your question

Ad-hom attack with no explanation. Some people(including myself) would call you guys idiots, just saying..

Low IQ, probably even under 100

You were either bullied often or got off on taking kids lunch money. Mental midgits :D
Notre Dame is a catholic university, therefore religion is a core value. The pregame mass with team was a tradition that kelly ended. I am very happy its back (great decision by freeman) and the mass and walk to stadium is something the fans looked forward too. It doesnt matter if its physical or mental work, If your 100% non-stop work, there is burn out, fatigue, and low energy. The mass allows the team to focus on whats really important, God, and at same time give their heads a rest for 1 hour (to get their full energy back), before they go out and create havoc on the field. It didnt stop the team from getting a championship in ‘88 (and what should have been in ‘89 and/or ‘93)

Would you be happy if you knew MF would make the playoffs once ever 4 years but always be embarrassed, and his best stretch would be 44-6 but he would be 3-17 against the top 10? I would take a soft pass. Not horrible, but I would shake the dice and move my mice.

Would you be happy if you knew MF would make the playoffs once ever 4 years but always be embarrassed, and his best stretch would be 44-6 but he would be 3-17 against the top 10? I would take a soft pass. Not horrible, but I would shake the dice and move my mice.
No I wouldn't. Not now

Ad-hom attack with no explanation. Some people(including myself) would call you guys idiots, just saying..

You were either bullied often or got off on taking kids lunch money. Mental midgits :D
Proper spelling obviously not your strong suit. Pot meet kettle.

Reactions: cancandodo
Notre Dame is a catholic university, therefore religion is a core value. The pregame mass with team was a tradition that kelly ended. I am very happy its back (great decision by freeman) and the mass and walk to stadium is something the fans looked forward too. It doesnt matter if its physical or mental work, If your 100% non-stop work, there is burn out, fatigue, and low energy. The mass allows the team to focus on whats really important, God, and at same time give their heads a rest for 1 hour (to get their full energy back), before they go out and create havoc on the field. It didnt stop the team from getting a championship in ‘88 (and what should have been in ‘89 and/or ‘93)
What if I told you that you could honor all of those traditions and not subject your team to unnecessary mental fatigue prior to a football game? Most of these players are not even Catholic, so they can't participate in Communion and I doubt many of them have the Nicene or Apostles creed memorized. If you removed your sanctified ignorance lense, you'll objectively see why this isn't conducive to being successful on the football field.

The fact that some teams were successful with this ritual doesn't prove that it doesn't detract from their performance. Perhaps they won in spite of this additional requirement. Your point is rooted in a logical fallacy, sorry.

What if I told you that God would not hold it against you if you decided to go to Mass at another time. I'm not a salvation expert or a clergymen, but I did go to a parochial school and I do know a thing or two about the Catholic faith and Mass..

I'm with BK on this one.. Players can go to Mass another time or the team can dedicate another time for Mass within their busy schedule. We went to Mass Wednesday AM in school.

Reactions: Pennick4
What if I told you that you could honor all of those traditions and not subject your team to unnecessary mental fatigue prior to a football game? Most of these players are not even Catholic, so they can't participate in Communion and I doubt many of them have the Nicene or Apostles creed memorized. If you removed your sanctified ignorance lense, you'll objectively see why this isn't conducive to being successful on the football field.

The fact that some teams were successful with this ritual doesn't prove that it doesn't detract from their performance. Perhaps they won in spite of this additional requirement. Your point is rooted in a logical fallacy, sorry.

What if I told you that God would not hold it against you if you decided to go to Mass at another time. I'm not a salvation expert or a clergymen, but I did go to a parochial school and I do know a thing or two about the Catholic faith and Mass..

I'm with BK on this one.. Players can go to Mass another time or the team can dedicate another time for Mass within their busy schedule. We went to Mass Wednesday AM in school.
How is a one hour mass mental fatigue. They are not taking an exam there. If anything, it lets them clear their minds for gametime.

How would you propose 1 hour being utilized that will take you from a non-championship caliber to championship caliber team. If the team isnt ready on friday night, there is nothing that 1 hour will do for them on Saturday. Nothing wrong with showing God respect and showing what Notre Dame is about!

Maybe Notre Dame is not for you. Catholic schools will always have religion as their core base in education and in practices. I went to catholic schools up through hs - many students were not catholic, we had mass weekly and religious education as part of core education. Everyone was fine with that - they chose to get a great education with great values in the end. I would think you would agree if you went as well

If you need an explanation as to why your post was idiotic, then you will never understand nor want to understand. Go back to you cave or rock.

Reactions: NDinNJ
How is a one hour mass mental fatigue. They are not taking an exam there. If anything, it lets them clear their minds for gametime.

How would you propose 1 hour being utilized that will take you from a non-championship caliber to championship caliber team. If the team isnt ready on friday night, there is nothing that 1 hour will do for them on Saturday. Nothing wrong with showing God respect and showing what Notre Dame is about!

Maybe Notre Dame is not for you. Catholic schools will always have religion as their core base in education and in practices. I went to catholic schools up through hs - many students were not catholic, we had mass weekly and religious education as part of core education. Everyone was fine with that - they chose to get a great education with great values in the end. I would think you would agree if you went as well
Player choice within a set of parameters.. I'd leave Chapel open for the guys who want to practice their faith mere hours before kickoff. I just wouldn't make it mandatory or part of the pre-game ritual.

Mass requires a sort of reverence, and humbling in order to grow your faith and connect with the Lord.. That reverence is not conducive to the dog mentality that many football players need to take on prior to playing. At the very least it's just another distraction before competition.

I'm not anti Mass and my opinion is not out of disdain for the Catholic Church, or Christianity in general. It's just let there be a time and place for Mass and that's not hours before kickoff. I never said I wasn't fine with team Mass. In fact, I'm all for it. It does great things for the spirit mind and body to go to Mass with your team, class, friends, family etc etc.

I think many of you "devout Catholics" are unable or scared to detach or unhook the two mutually exclusive concepts: Going to team Mass along with participating in other faith building activities with your brethren, and preparing for a football game.

"Nothing says let's kick some ass in a few hours like a 45 minute liturgical snooze fest"

This has to be one of the more moronic responses to a thread -- and there have been plenty.
The wording was used specifically to invoke a thought process that maybe not everyone looks at the world the same way you do. Most of these players aren't catholic and weren't brought up in a Catholic household so they don't hold the same view point as you. Do you think they're all pumped up to go to a very ritualistic church service? "It's just another task that makes ND special"

You guys are all pretty narrow minded. You want it both ways.

It's smug and grandstanding your faith.

Nothing says let's kick some ass in a few hours like a 45 minute liturgical snooze fest.
If you read Jackson's book "Sacred Hoops" you will see the value of visioning. Nothing can be better than visioning a victory in Sacred Heart Church even if you don't know much about what the priest is doing. It gives players a chance to sit and meditate together about the game.

probably my first time ever attempting to spell midgets, lmao. Pretty big difference between having the ability to think critically and spelling skillzzz
You were the one referring to " idiots ". One would think a person making such a reference could tackle simple spelling. 🙄🙄🙄

Reactions: NDinNJ
The wording was used specifically to invoke a thought process that maybe not everyone looks at the world the same way you do. Most of these players aren't catholic and weren't brought up in a Catholic household so they don't hold the same view point as you. Do you think they're all pumped up to go to a very ritualistic church service? "It's just another task that makes ND special"

You guys are all pretty narrow minded. You want it both ways.

It's smug and grandstanding your faith.

It's really not about being a Catholic. It's about doing something spiritual together as a team.

Player choice within a set of parameters.. I'd leave Chapel open for the guys who want to practice their faith mere hours before kickoff. I just wouldn't make it mandatory or part of the pre-game ritual.

Mass requires a sort of reverence, and humbling in order to grow your faith and connect with the Lord.. That reverence is not conducive to the dog mentality that many football players need to take on prior to playing. At the very least it's just another distraction before competition.

I'm not anti Mass and my opinion is not out of disdain for the Catholic Church, or Christianity in general. It's just let there be a time and place for Mass and that's not hours before kickoff. I never said I wasn't fine with team Mass. In fact, I'm all for it. It does great things for the spirit mind and body to go to Mass with your team, class, friends, family etc etc.

I think many of you "devout Catholics" are unable or scared to detach or unhook the two mutually exclusive concepts: Going to team Mass along with participating in other faith building activities with your brethren, and preparing for a football game.
Sounds like you are backpedaling

If you read Jackson's book "Sacred Hoops" you will see the value of visioning. Nothing can be better than visioning a victory in Sacred Heart Church even if you don't know much about what the priest is doing. It gives players a chance to sit and meditate together about the game.
No I thought it was a standard Catholic Mass that involves reciting hymns and other ritualistic tasks and a communion mixed in about 10 minutes of reading/teaching.. the “sermon” if you will.

There is not much uplifting about that unless you are a lifelong devout catholic which most of the players aren't.

I'm not familiar with summoning a higher consciousness in a standard Mass service, perhaps I was missing out while practicing my Catholic faith.. Or if there is a non standard Mass they're participating in I think that could be a good idea spiritually to try maximize your vibrational frequency. Just didn't think any of that stuff had to do with the Catholic church. I've been away for a decade or more now so..

Last edited:
Sounds like you are backpedaling
No ****ing way. LOL. Mass does not need to be before games. If players want to go to chapel or Mass on their own volition, that's their deal. Mandating 18-21 year old kids sit through a worship service(hours before kickoff) they know almost nothing about is not conducive to playing top notch football.

How's that for back pedaling?

Oh is that what you said? Thanks for clarifying for the 2nd time..
Seems like you are on a mission about this mass thing. From what I can guess, the players don't have the same problem that you do. Also, if I understand correctly, Marcus Freeman is not even a Catholic. So my point is that the players can use this activity to their advantage in getting themselves ready for the game and building team strength. Keep in mind, all this Catholic ritual was developed after the Last Supper when all the participants were Jews.

No ****ing way. LOL. Mass does not need to be before games. If players want to go to chapel or Mass on their own volition, that's their deal. Mandating 18-21 year old kids sit through a worship service(hours before kickoff) they know almost nothing about is not conducive to playing top notch football.

How's that for back pedaling?

Very odd that you refer to yourself as a subway domer when you seem to have no concept of what Notre Dame is all about. What's your problem?

Very odd that you refer to yourself as a subway domer when you seem to have no concept of what Notre Dame is all about. What's your problem?
I don't know. Would you like to evaluate me?

A lack of understanding about Notre Dame isn't one of them. I grew up Catholic, haven't missed a game live or TV since Rutgers in '02.. Been to the campus several times yada yada.

I'm sorry you're unable to decouple some mutually exclusive concepts about spirituality, and team building.

My other theory is that not all of you are stupid. It's that some of you have the scorned girlfriend syndrome where as BK is the EX and it was his idea to cancel pre-game mass, therefore it must be restored. It's like getting back at your EX or showing him you're right.

Just a guess, I guess..

A lack of understanding about Notre Dame isn't one of them. I grew up Catholic, haven't missed a game live or TV since Rutgers in '02.. Been to the campus several times yada yada.

I'm sorry you're unable to decouple some mutually exclusive concepts about spirituality, and team building.

My other theory is that not all of you are stupid. It's that some of you have the scorned girlfriend syndrome where as BK is the EX and it was his idea to cancel pre-game mass, therefore it must be restored. It's like getting back at your EX or showing him you're right.

Just a guess, I guess..

You are basically just a flaming jackass. You have very little knowledge about what ND is or what it stands for, but you think you have all the answers. I don't care how many times you have been to campus or how many games you have watched on TV. Why don't you STFU and learn something before you shoot your mouth off?

Reactions: irishalice
You are basically just a flaming jackass. You have very little knowledge about what ND is or what it stands for, but you think you have all the answers. I don't care how many times you have been to campus or how many games you have watched on TV. Why don't you STFU and learn something before you shoot your mouth off?
Why are you so hostile? I'm not gaslighting you on purpose..

The fact that you're getting so worked up leads me to believe you have some unresolved issues. You're coming off like the school yard bully who's about to run out of words and just start throwing fists. Keep the snot in the nose buddy.

The fact that you're getting so worked up leads me to believe you have some unresolved issues. You're coming off like the school yard bully who's about to run out of words and just start throwing fists. Keep the snot in the nose buddy.

You apparently think you are some sort of psychiatrist in training, as you seem to enjoy telling everyone else what their problems are. You started this idiotic campaign deciding the players going to mass before games. Yet you know nothing about why it is done or it's significance.
You have insulted several posters on this thread, all of whom know more about ND and its traditions than you will ever hope to know. You are evidently here for no purpose other than to get a rise out of people. Why you think that is a worthy pursuit is unknown to me.
I will be putting you on ignore and thus will not be responding further to you, as I think you are nothing but a flamer.

Just a guess, I guess..
And a clearly misinformed one at that....

Thinking it's Savvy in drag.... back from the cornfield.

How would you propose 1 hour being utilized that will take you from a non-championship caliber to championship caliber team.
If I may, perhaps in a way generally similar to how the vast sea of other sports teams throughout history have prepped. A game of inches is also a game of hours.
The idea that requiring a...50%(?) Catholic team to sit through mass before going to a fight is a good idea strains credulity. Does holy water make you jump higher? Do you honestly believe that not one player, Catholic or otherwise, dislikes this practice? Do you think mental space is independent of performance?
Whatever that % is for the team, btw, I'll make the uninformed conclusion that it decreases amongst the players as snaps increase. Our best athletes are less likely to be Catholic and some are required to attend Saturday school classes before games in which they may have no interest. I think there's a better way.

Could be. I wouldn't put it past that guy.
No it isn't. That's a shame that you think so ill of me, or that I wasn't able to make enough of an impression that would at least spare me accusations of being a common internet troll. As if to say, I say all these awful things to you guys, which I certainly would never take back, but I'm definitely not a troll. And whatever sort of respect that comes with that, I would be accorded. But no such luck....

In any case, I'm only piping in now because I'm thinking that dude, this brash newcomer, who like myself is expressing ostensible disgust at this transparent act of fan-pandering by way of the the re-instituting of the going to mass on game-day thing - right before kickoff - could be my hated nemesis, who went by the message board pseudonym of 'IrishBeer', I believe it was, and before that was something else. I have no idea for certain of course, it just occurred to me, on account of being so nakedly provocative. I think the thing that perhaps gives trolls away, is how they show up out of nowhere, and then speak with too much glib familiarity right off the bat, when they've only just arrived.

And that guy was such an obvious troll, that he really got under my skin. So that's the guy you shouldn't put it past, actual known trolls, instead of guys like me, who are merely distraught at what the ND football community has become, and devolved into. As in I always knew ND fans and the ND football culture was what it was, naturally, but I wasn't ready to accept that it would ever get this bad. And in such especially galling, bitter and ignominious fashion. Like so much of the America we live in today. It's tough to stomach, I readily admit. But you gotta be willing to stare into the abyss, and not turn away....

In any event, it's not me, and you can relax, I'm not going to be posting and being a thorn in your side, and you will be free to indulge your inane blather without a gadfly like myself always mocking you for it. I will post a bit during the season, which is nearly upon us, but I've largely made my peace with all that other stuff. I think I was banned for a month, if you're pondering. And I've been free to post for quite a while now....

Reactions: melstew
ADVERTISEMENT