ADVERTISEMENT

Player's Walk

No it isn't. That's a shame that you think so ill of me, or that I wasn't able to make enough of an impression that would at least spare me accusations of being a common internet troll. As if to say, I say all these awful things to you guys, which I certainly would never take back, but I'm definitely not a troll. And whatever sort of respect that comes with that, I would be accorded. But no such luck....

In any case, I'm only piping in now because I'm thinking that dude, this brash newcomer, who like myself is expressing ostensible disgust at this transparent act of fan-pandering by way of the the re-instituting of the going to mass on game-day thing - right before kickoff - could be my hated nemesis, who went by the message board pseudonym of 'IrishBeer', I believe it was, and before that was something else. I have no idea for certain of course, it just occurred to me, on account of being so nakedly provocative. I think the thing that perhaps gives trolls away, is how they show up out of nowhere, and then speak with too much glib familiarity right off the bat, when they've only just arrived.

And that guy was such an obvious troll, that he really got under my skin. So that's the guy you shouldn't put it past, actual known trolls, instead of guys like me, who are merely distraught at what the ND football community has become, and devolved into. As in I always knew ND fans and the ND football culture was what it was, naturally, but I wasn't ready to accept that it would ever get this bad. And in such especially galling, bitter and ignominious fashion. Like so much of the America we live in today. It's tough to stomach, I readily admit. But you gotta be willing to stare into the abyss, and not turn away....

In any event, it's not me, and you can relax, I'm not going to be posting and being a thorn in your side, and you will be free to indulge your inane blather without a gadfly like myself always mocking you for it. I will post a bit during the season, which is nearly upon us, but I've largely made my peace with all that other stuff. I think I was banned for a month, if you're pondering. And I've been free to post for quite a while now....
You guys take this shit way too seriously. I am a newb and not a rebranded IrishBeer or W/E. I was expressing my opinion as far as what's best for the teams game prep. Was not meant to troll or throw shade on your faith. I've watched hundreds of notre dame games and been to over a thousand Mass services.

There should be no arch nemesis or alliances on message boards. Go join your HOA if you want some drama.

Bunch of ****in nerds.

If I may, perhaps in a way generally similar to how the vast sea of other sports teams throughout history have prepped. A game of inches is also a game of hours.
The idea that requiring a...50%(?) Catholic team to sit through mass before going to a fight is a good idea strains credulity. Does holy water make you jump higher? Do you honestly believe that not one player, Catholic or otherwise, dislikes this practice? Do you think mental space is independent of performance?
Whatever that % is for the team, btw, I'll make the uninformed conclusion that it decreases amongst the players as snaps increase. Our best athletes are less likely to be Catholic and some are required to attend Saturday school classes before games in which they may have no interest. I think there's a better way.
Quite frankly there has never been, in human history, a more obvious, unmistakable, and 100%-certainly true, definitely-the-case act of pandering than this business with returning to and reviving the practice of going to church services on Saturday morning right before the game, the 'player's walk', I guess is the lingo for it...

As blatant as any nervous new emperor hastily preparing some additional bread and circuses for the always-restive Roman mob, to kick off the new reign. Just without any question whatsoever. As opposed to the alternative, that our new coach truly thinks that this inarguably disadvantageous circumstance he has brought back, of his own volition, is actually the astute or judicious thing to do, on the basis of, shall we say highly preposterous reasoning or rationale. Or perhaps even worse than that, he's just such a personally religious soul, as well as deep, deep respecter of sacred tradition generally, wherever it lay and of whatever form it may manifest, that he can not help himself and is simply compelled to uphold miscellaneous traditions willy nilly, no matter the situation. That tradition itself is it's own reward, and you just gotta stick with them, because that's just how you live life. But Roman emperors took the opportunity to bask in their largesse, whereas MF has to feign some sort of vague solemnity about it....

So I think pretty clearly this is entirely a political move, and NOT a matter of either sheer stupidity or reckless piety. Whether this is shrewd on MF's part, or folly, I suppose time will tell. It's a bit of a gambit in any event, and maybe the team will imperceptibly perform worse than they might otherwise, but it won't cost us any games. But there's no doubt that the notorious ND fan base has - predictably - responded rather favorably thus far to the gesture. Which of course was the whole point and sole purpose behind the move.

But if we drop a home game to Cal or something, it will definitely be a bad look, I would like to think, and hopefully will be quietly abandoned in short order. I feel like the singing of the extremely downbeat, melancholic alma mater after the game is more than enough for the players to have to attend to on that score. Anyway, I'll shut up now. I think it's a stupid, at least slightly and somewhat self-destructive thing to do, and that MF is only doing it to get in good with the hardcore fans, as it is more or less indefensible/inexplicable otherwise, that you would ever needlessly do such a thing, when this ritualistic practice had apparently already been allowed to lapse....

Quite frankly there has never been, in human history, a more obvious, unmistakable, and 100%-certainly true, definitely-the-case act of pandering than this business with returning to and reviving the practice of going to church services on Saturday morning right before the game, the 'player's walk', I guess is the lingo for it...

As blatant as any nervous new emperor hastily preparing some additional bread and circuses for the always-restive Roman mob, to kick off the new reign. Just without any question whatsoever. As opposed to the alternative, that our new coach truly thinks that this inarguably disadvantageous circumstance he has brought back, of his own volition, is actually the astute or judicious thing to do, on the basis of, shall we say highly preposterous reasoning or rationale. Or perhaps even worse than that, he's just such a personally religious soul, as well as deep, deep respecter of sacred tradition generally, wherever it lay and of whatever form it may manifest, that he can not help himself and is simply compelled to uphold miscellaneous traditions willy nilly, no matter the situation. That tradition itself is it's own reward, and you just gotta stick with them, because that's just how you live life. But Roman emperors took the opportunity to bask in their largesse, whereas MF has to feign some sort of vague solemnity about it....

So I think pretty clearly this is entirely a political move, and NOT a matter of either sheer stupidity or reckless piety. Whether this is shrewd on MF's part, or folly, I suppose time will tell. It's a bit of a gambit in any event, and maybe the team will imperceptibly perform worse than they might otherwise, but it won't cost us any games. But there's no doubt that the notorious ND fan base has - predictably - responded rather favorably thus far to the gesture. Which of course was the whole point and sole purpose behind the move.

But if we drop a home game to Cal or something, it will definitely be a bad look, I would like to think, and hopefully will be quietly abandoned in short order. I feel like the singing of the extremely downbeat, melancholic alma mater after the game is more than enough for the players to have to attend to on that score. Anyway, I'll shut up now. I think it's a stupid, at least slightly and somewhat self-destructive thing to do, and that MF is only doing it to get in good with the hardcore fans, as it is more or less indefensible/inexplicable otherwise, that you would ever needlessly do such a thing, when this ritualistic practice had apparently already been allowed to lapse....
I don’t care either way and I don’t think most fans care either.

Reactions: Golson5
You guys take this shit way too seriously. I am a newb and not a rebranded IrishBeer or W/E. I was expressing my opinion as far as what's best for the teams game prep. Was not meant to troll or throw shade on your faith. I've watched hundreds of notre dame games and been to over a thousand Mass services.

There should be no arch nemesis or alliances on message boards. Go join your HOA if you want some drama.

Bunch of ****in nerds.
Shit dude, I'm sorry. Forget I said anything. And since now I know that you're not that shitty troll, I have to say I agree with you about the player's walk! It's lame.... Have to admit that it's at least bit a curious that MF made bold enough to bring it back like he did. On the one hand it's easy to see, and in very predictable fashion the hardcore fans have eaten it up with a spoon. So, points successfully scored with the hardcore fanbase....

But still, I don't know quite what to make of it. Why not just stick with what was working, especially for a brand new rookie head coach, who certainly has other and bigger fish to fry? My personal theory is he would have happily done just that, but he witnessed, at close range, how the coach he was replacing, the all-time winningest coach in ND history, as well as the team having a 44-6 record over the last several seasons or whatever it was exactly, have his metaphorical corpse dragged through the streets by these same fans, and thus felt the strong impulse to throw them some sort of bone. Particularly when it was BK himself who got rid of the practice. And so now the players have to go to church on Saturday mornings, in the fall in South Bend!

Anyway, I guess if we go undefeated at home then it was much ado about nothing. I think it was BK who got rid of it.....

I don’t care either way and I don’t think most fans care either.
Really?? Wow, so the whole thing is immaterial as far as you're concerned, and most other fans too... And it must be just because MF is such a naturally awesome guy who really 'gets' ND, with an almost angelic affinity, and certainly with no particular prodding, prompting or outside motivation from anyone or anything?

Who'd a thunk it.....

Shit dude, I'm sorry. Forget I said anything. And since now I know that you're not that shitty troll, I have to say I agree with you about the player's walk! It's lame.... Have to admit that it's at least bit a curious that MF made bold enough to bring it back like he did. On the one hand it's easy to see, and in very predictable fashion the hardcore fans have eaten it up with a spoon. So, points successfully scored with the hardcore fanbase....

But still, I don't know quite what to make of it. Why not just stick with what was working, especially for a brand new rookie head coach, who certainly has other and bigger fish to fry? My personal theory is he would have happily done just that, but he witnessed, at close range, how the coach he was replacing, the all-time winningest coach in ND history, as well as the team having a 44-6 record over the last several seasons or whatever it was exactly, have his metaphorical corpse dragged through the streets by these same fans, and thus felt the strong impulse to throw them some sort of bone. Particularly when it was BK himself who got rid of the practice. And so now the players have to go to church on Saturday mornings, in the fall in South Bend!

Anyway, I guess if we go undefeated at home then it was much ado about nothing. I think it was BK who got rid of it.....
I agree with all of that. Interesting take that likely the old stodgy noise may have influenced bringing Mass back.

I thought about that but it sounded like it was Freeman’s idea.. clearly he’s not gonna come out and say he was persuaded into it.

If that’s the case I especially don’t like the move that he’s rearranging game day itinerary to suit outside forces. I don’t like the thought of him being a yes man..

Really?? Wow, so the whole thing is immaterial as far as you're concerned, and most other fans too... And it must be just because MF is such a naturally awesome guy who really 'gets' ND, with an almost angelic affinity, and certainly with no particular prodding, prompting or outside motivation from anyone or anything?

Who'd a thunk it.....
So who do you think has been in his ear?

I agree with all of that. Interesting take that likely the old stodgy noise may have influenced bringing Mass back.

I thought about that but it sounded like it was Freeman’s idea.. clearly he’s not gonna come out and say he was persuaded into it.

If that’s the case I especially don’t like the move that he’s rearranging game day itinerary to suit outside forces. I don’t like the thought of him being a yes man..
That is an eminently reasonable competing theory. That he was actually forced to do so, by the priests, I suppose.... in order to get the job. One of the little quirky conditions, before they handed this comparatively unqualified candidate the keys to the kingdom. I like my theory better. And if there was ever a coach in a position to be dictated to in that way, it would be MF in this circumstance. Especially when you consider that adherence to fussy traditions like the 'player's walk' are among exhibits A, B and C or whatever, for many coaches not wanting the ND job, even though they would get to coach in the house that Rockne built....

I will say that MF's boyish good looks, charm and youthful exuberance are a remarkably good fit for ND. And that's probably why he got the job. They otherwise would seemingly never have hired someone so inexperienced and unproven. It would even't come up. Or why not just hire Clark Lea? But this is the same school that one time hired Gerry Faust, and it appears they just couldn't resist.

But he is totally delivering as a recruiter, which is the one tangible thing he brought to the table in spades.....

Who'd a thunk it.....
Why is this tool back

That is an eminently reasonable competing theory. That he was actually forced to do so, by the priests, I suppose.... in order to get the job. One of the little quirky conditions, before they handed this comparatively unqualified candidate the keys to the kingdom. I like my theory better. And if there was ever a coach in a position to be dictated to in that way, it would be MF in this circumstance. Especially when you consider that adherence to fussy traditions like the 'player's walk' are among exhibits A, B and C or whatever, for many coaches not wanting the ND job, even though they would get to coach in the house that Rockne built....

I will say that MF's boyish good looks, charm and youthful exuberance are a remarkably good fit for ND. And that's probably why he got the job. They otherwise would seemingly never have hired someone so inexperienced and unproven. It would even't come up. Or why not just hire Clark Lea? But this is the same school that one time hired Gerry Faust, and it appears they just couldn't resist.

But he is totally delivering as a recruiter, which is the one tangible thing he brought to the table in spades.....
I would say it's more than plausible.

Wow. I was just hoping that ND had finally turned the page from the old brass calling the shots as it relates to the football program. They almost killed ND football in the late 90s early 2000s, and now that the program is semi-resurrected (pun intended of course), they're getting back on their entitled high horse and calling more shots? I advise them to stay in their lane and let football people and Swarbrick run the program. I honestly feel bad for Jack if that's the case..
  1. Swarbrick was quoted in 2016 saying that if the NCAA went the way of paying players that ND would likely relegate itself to an Ivy League type of set up(clearly echoing the high priest sentiment)
  2. John Jay commits hefty donations to the schools endowment and professes his staunch support of the NIL era and other progressive happenings in the NCAA football landscape.
  3. Swarbrick and AD changes their tune almost in concert or suspiciously after these donations were made and investments were coughed up by the brass for the stadium renovations and the renewed interest in becoming once again a football powerhouse.

It's clear cut entitlement if that's the case. It's like the priests don't f*cking realize who they're working for(what got this university to where it is) Other schools are no different.. The football program is the front porch of your university.. Without the football program ND is just some random Catholic school in a crime infested rust belt. See University of Dayton for reference. Great School! Measly 600 million endowment fund.

At least BC has a beautiful campus. In your theory it feels somewhat creepy tbh. Not saying your wrong and I think it's just as plausible as the theory MF just happened to notice that pre-game mass wasn't a thing as it he remembered it as a ND FB recruit 20 years ago..

Why is this tool back
This isn't fight club. Go back to your basement.

Try offering up something other than an insult.. Perhaps something relevant to the conversation. I know you're working with limited faculties between the ears, but give it a shot..

Mods not sure why you let stupid shit like this post.

I'm gonna ignore you on here and DD as well. Complete imbecile.

This isn't fight club. Go back to your basement.

Try offering up something other than an insult.. Perhaps something relevant to the conversation. I know you're working with limited faculties between the ears, but give it a shot..

Mods not sure why you let stupid shit like this post.

I'm gonna ignore you on here and DD as well. Complete imbecile.
Again, why is this tool back on here

Ah, now it is no longer due to the fans, but to those devilish little priests in black robes. A big reason that MF was named head coach was that the players went to the administration and said they wanted him to be coach. I doubt that he would use this event (which had already been discontinued) to go against their wishes. Did you ever think that the players wanted to bring back the walk from the church?

I would say it's more than plausible.

Wow. I was just hoping that ND had finally turned the page from the old brass calling the shots as it relates to the football program. They almost killed ND football in the late 90s early 2000s, and now that the program is semi-resurrected (pun intended of course), they're getting back on their entitled high horse and calling more shots? I advise them to stay in their lane and let football people and Swarbrick run the program. I honestly feel bad for Jack if that's the case..
  1. Swarbrick was quoted in 2016 saying that if the NCAA went the way of paying players that ND would likely relegate itself to an Ivy League type of set up(clearly echoing the high priest sentiment)
  2. John Jay commits hefty donations to the schools endowment and professes his staunch support of the NIL era and other progressive happenings in the NCAA football landscape.
  3. Swarbrick and AD changes their tune almost in concert or suspiciously after these donations were made and investments were coughed up by the brass for the stadium renovations and the renewed interest in becoming once again a football powerhouse.

It's clear cut entitlement if that's the case. It's like the priests don't f*cking realize who they're working for(what got this university to where it is) Other schools are no different.. The football program is the front porch of your university.. Without the football program ND is just some random Catholic school in a crime infested rust belt. See University of Dayton for reference. Great School! Measly 600 million endowment fund.

At least BC has a beautiful campus. In your theory it feels somewhat creepy tbh. Not saying your wrong and I think it's just as plausible as the theory MF just happened to notice that pre-game mass wasn't a thing as it he remembered it as a ND FB recruit 20 years ago..
Well I don't think that's what happened. I don't think 'the priests' made him do it. I think he did it himself, and came up with the idea all by himself, in the aftermath of the bloodbath of BK's departure. Absolutely with a very deliberate eye towards trying to please ND's fans, 100% on account of their shockingly spiteful and hate-filled demonstrations for BK that were in full effect at the time. And that was his inspiration. To get on their good side...

I'm 100% certain of it. Even though of course I'm not in MF's head. Just as much as I'm 100% certain that BK's real reason for leaving was not the money, strictly speaking, and not the chance to coach better athletes, or any of the rest of that rhetoric. He just wanted to get the hell out of ND. Once he passed Knute Rockne, the heat became too much and he had to get out of the kitchen. The guy probably got lucrative job offers every off season, and this time he decided to finally bite on a particularly juicy one. He's still barely young enough to make a move like that, and there was just too much acrimony from ND fans towards him. Too much antipathy and animosity for such a glaringly successful coach. It was unsustainable. Something had to give....

Well I don't think that's what happened. I don't think 'the priests' made him do it. I think he did it himself, and came up with the idea all by himself, in the aftermath of the bloodbath of BK's departure. Absolutely with a very deliberate eye towards trying to please ND's fans, 100% on account of their shockingly spiteful and hate-filled demonstrations for BK that were in full effect at the time. And that was his inspiration. To get on their good side...

I'm 100% certain of it. Even though of course I'm not in MF's head. Just as much as I'm 100% certain that BK's real reason for leaving was not the money, strictly speaking, and not the chance to coach better athletes, or any of the rest of that rhetoric. He just wanted to get the hell out of ND. Once he passed Knute Rockne, the heat became too much and he had to get out of the kitchen. The guy probably got lucrative job offers every off season, and this time he decided to finally bite on a particularly juicy one. He's still barely young enough to make a move like that, and there was just too much acrimony from ND fans towards him. Too much antipathy and animosity for such a glaringly successful coach. It was unsustainable. Something had to give....
I have no idea why certain people thought he left for the money.. because of his stupid ass Mike Tomlin reference the week before?

Other than that glib remark(hes a north eastern smart ass), there was nothing that said that it was about the money. If it were about the $ he would have at least notified Jack or even gave him an opportunity to counter the offer even if it was just to get more out of LSU..

Dead on he thought he did all he could do at ND and was a time to challenge himself in another place. I knew he was leaving last year(there were just too many high profile openings) I just thought he would have went to Oklahoma or Florida or even to the NFL.. Not LSU as it doesn't seem like the best fit. We'll see :D

No it isn't. That's a shame that you think so ill of me, or that I wasn't able to make enough of an impression that would at least spare me accusations of being a common internet troll. As if to say, I say all these awful things to you guys, which I certainly would never take back, but I'm definitely not a troll. And whatever sort of respect that comes with that, I would be accorded. But no such luck....

In any case, I'm only piping in now because I'm thinking that dude, this brash newcomer, who like myself is expressing ostensible disgust at this transparent act of fan-pandering by way of the the re-instituting of the going to mass on game-day thing - right before kickoff - could be my hated nemesis, who went by the message board pseudonym of 'IrishBeer', I believe it was, and before that was something else. I have no idea for certain of course, it just occurred to me, on account of being so nakedly provocative. I think the thing that perhaps gives trolls away, is how they show up out of nowhere, and then speak with too much glib familiarity right off the bat, when they've only just arrived.

And that guy was such an obvious troll, that he really got under my skin. So that's the guy you shouldn't put it past, actual known trolls, instead of guys like me, who are merely distraught at what the ND football community has become, and devolved into. As in I always knew ND fans and the ND football culture was what it was, naturally, but I wasn't ready to accept that it would ever get this bad. And in such especially galling, bitter and ignominious fashion. Like so much of the America we live in today. It's tough to stomach, I readily admit. But you gotta be willing to stare into the abyss, and not turn away....

In any event, it's not me, and you can relax, I'm not going to be posting and being a thorn in your side, and you will be free to indulge your inane blather without a gadfly like myself always mocking you for it. I will post a bit during the season, which is nearly upon us, but I've largely made my peace with all that other stuff. I think I was banned for a month, if you're pondering. And I've been free to post for quite a while now....
What rock did you crawl out from under? Wow, I thought you had left this forum and finally made the move to the LSU forum.

Reactions: Golson5

If the players didn't want the mass and walk, it would not have been brought back. Forcing something on the players that they do now want is not the way to start one's career as a players' coach. Notre Dame has always been a school in which there is a strong bond between students and players. Prior to the mass and walk from the church, the players spent Friday night at Moreau Seminary and probably went to mass there as well. I don't know who had the original idea to go to mass and walk from the church but it went on for many years. Respect for the ideas of others is one of the things missing from our now woke based society. Try it for once.

If the players didn't want the mass and walk, it would not have been brought back. Forcing something on the players that they do now want is not the way to start one's career as a players' coach. Notre Dame has always been a school in which there is a strong bond between students and players. Prior to the mass and walk from the church, the players spent Friday night at Moreau Seminary and probably went to mass there as well. I don't know who had the original idea to go to mass and walk from the church but it went on for many years. Respect for the ideas of others is one of the things missing from our now woke based society. Try it for once.
I don't know, I don't think so at all. I think MF decided to do it, and thus, naturally, the players have to do it. That's how those things go, this ain't no democracy. This is tackle football, the player's job is to do as they're told.

For someone who doesn't care, which of course is completely untrue, you definitely want to be right about this. And what that would amount to, again, is that MF brought this ritual back because he just thinks this is some awesome christian tradition to be a part of, because he's gets ND so completely and effortlessly, and simply by wonderful providence he's this impossibly perfect cultural fit for ND, and so naturally he would want to honor all these various traditions for their own sake. And anything else that plays into that narrative, you fill in the blanks. Something about God's grace, perhaps...

But that shit ain't the truth, to quote Jules from Pulp Fiction. He's doing it for PR reasons. I'm not even sure why that's so threatening or unacceptable to you. It's extremely obvious, and is just not anything to feel that bad about. You don't need to get all weird or holier than thou over it. There's no call for it. Just be glad he did it for whatever the reason, since it demonstrably validates the hardcore fanbase very dearly, which MF was definitely right in thinking that it would, though he probably doesn't realize just how dearly. So stop trying to have your cake and eat it too. Anyway, I think we're done talking about this.....

I don't know, I don't think so at all. I think MF decided to do it, and thus, naturally, the players have to do it. That's how those things go, this ain't no democracy. This is tackle football, the player's job is to do as they're told.

For someone who doesn't care, which of course is completely untrue, you definitely want to be right about this. And what that would amount to, again, is that MF brought this ritual back because he just thinks this is some awesome christian tradition to be a part of, because he's gets ND so completely and effortlessly, and simply by wonderful providence he's this impossibly perfect cultural fit for ND, and so naturally he would want to honor all these various traditions for their own sake. And anything else that plays into that narrative, you fill in the blanks. Something about God's grace, perhaps...

But that shit ain't the truth, to quote Jules from Pulp Fiction. He's doing it for PR reasons. I'm not even sure why that's so threatening or unacceptable to you. It's extremely obvious, and is just not anything to feel that bad about. You don't need to get all weird or holier than thou over it. There's no call for it. Just be glad he did it for whatever the reason, since it demonstrably validates the hardcore fanbase very dearly, which MF was definitely right in thinking that it would, though he probably doesn't realize just how dearly. So stop trying to have your cake and eat it too. Anyway, I think we're done talking about this.....
I really glad you know everything. Congratulations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT