ADVERTISEMENT

Players Need to Watch USC and NC State Games as Homework

NotreDame du Lac

Posts Like A Champion
Jan 29, 2015
Fire up! No reason they can't play like that against Stanford. I don't buy the BS attitude that we have nothing to play for if not in the playoff. This attitude will screw the team every year. Demolish Stanford and let the committee decide who the 4 best teams are. Control what you can. If you end up facing PSU, OSU, Auburn, Clemson in a NY6 game, it could be better than losing to Bama in the championship game anyway.

Play Stanford like you did against USC, MSU, NC State and even Georgia and we will crush them.

Watching these games should be mandatory on Thanksgiving day. They need to see what they did right and stop focusing on what they did wrong. Positive psychology is needed to overcome this slump. Forget Miami!

Fire up! No reason they can't play like that against Stanford. I don't buy the BS attitude that we have nothing to play for if not in the playoff. This attitude will screw the team every year. Demolish Stanford and let the committee decide who the 4 best teams are. Control what you can. If you end up facing PSU, OSU, Auburn, Clemson in a NY6 game, it could be better than losing to Bama in the championship game anyway.

Play Stanford like you did against USC, MSU, NC State and even Georgia and we will crush them.

Watching these games should be mandatory on Thanksgiving day. They need to see what they did right and stop focusing on what they did wrong. Positive psychology is needed to overcome this slump. Forget Miami!
slump ? they won last week.

Reactions: NDSMC78
slump ? they won last week.
And!? They got blown out by Miami and barely beat Navy. I don't think there's anyone else on this board that would side with you in saying we aren't in a slump. If you think this is the same team that crushed USC, you're either joking or very ignorant. Good luck.

And!? They got blown out by Miami and barely beat Navy. I don't think there's anyone else on this board that would side with you in saying we aren't in a slump. If you think this is the same team that crushed USC, you're either joking or very ignorant. Good luck.
Could care less about "barely ". If you think watching old game films help good for you. Guaranteed that's not part of their preparation.

Could care less about "barely ". If you think watching old game films help good for you. Guaranteed that's not part of their preparation.
You couldn't care less about barely? That's like saying you couldn't care less that we didn't play well, but still were able to defeat a far inferior opponent. If that's the case, you're legitimizing the poor play, which must make you fine with losing to good teams with that same effort. Or, worse, you're making a large assumption that we'll miraculously and without change put forth a better effort against better teams.

Looking at the Miami game, I'd say that's proven not to be the case. It's like pretending there aren't bigger and better opponents ahead that lackluster play won't suffice a victory against. If you're okay with losing I guess you make sense, in some non-fan sort of way.

Last edited:
I thought we won last week? I thought our defense held Navy to their lowest output they had all year, but a lot. I guess du Lac was watching another game?

I thought we won last week? I thought our defense held Navy to their lowest output they had all year, but a lot. I guess du Lac was watching another game?
You do realize why they scored only 17, right? They purposely controlled the ball all game long as their game plan to have a shot.

I would love to be a fly on the wall at these Kelly-lovers homes as Navy is one play away from beating ND, again.

You couldn't care less about barely? That's like saying you couldn't care less that we didn't play well, but still were able to defeat a far inferior opponent. If that's the case, you're legitimizing the poor play, which must make you fine with losing to good teams with that same effort. Or, worse, you're making a large assumption that we'll miraculously and without change put forth a better effort against better teams.

Looking at the Miami game, I'd say that's proven not to be the case. It's like pretending there aren't bigger and better opponents ahead that lackluster play won't suffice a victory against. If you're okay with losing I guess you make sense, in some non-fan sort of way.
Winning is the only thing that matters. It's not going to be pretty all the time. The silly notion that watching game film from a game earlier in the season is somehow going to influence the upcoming game is hilarious. By the way ND still ranked # 8. No chance you said.next time you're right will be the first time.

Reactions: Pennick4
You do realize why they scored only 17, right? They purposely controlled the ball all game long as their game plan to have a shot.

I would love to be a fly on the wall at these Kelly-lovers homes as Navy is one play away from beating ND, again.
LMAO, you are seriously saying that Navy held their own score down intentionally? Gotta love fans who bitch and cry because we don't win good enough. I also call bs on the one play and Navy wins also. Oh and I wasn't watching the game from home. I was at the game like every home game this year. Our offense got off to a slow start. Navy had no chance in this game. The conditions horrible, I was there and definitely helped Navy more.

Last edited:

Tommy - people could use that same argument when ND lost to USC with the Bush Push and when ND lost vs. Clemson two years ago. Only it went the other way.

If ND posters on this board were to mention instances like that, those would be called "excuses" by the "apologists".

That's a part of football.

Last edited:

So no credit to them for their execution ? They did the best they could and still lost. ND held them way under their ypc coming in. A better job on 4th downs by ND and they may not have scored more than 3.

Oh, you mean the team that lost to Temple. Yeah, that team.
Ohio State got its doors blown off by Iowa, who just got their doors blown off by Purdue. So what's your point? Transitive Property works in math, not in college football. To many variables.

Last edited:
Still highly disagree. This is not the same team from the early part of the year. If you think the style of play that gets us squeezing by Navy won't rear its ugly head against Stanford you're a fool. It certainly did against Miami. Ugly wins turn into ugly losses vs a quality opponent.

Still highly disagree. This is not the same team from the early part of the year. If you think the style of play that gets us squeezing by Navy won't rear its ugly head against Stanford you're a fool. It certainly did against Miami. Ugly wins turn into ugly losses vs a quality opponent.
A fool? There's another side to that thinking.

I have to ask: if your reasoning is correct, then how could USC rebound after ND pounded them? How could Ohio State rebound after getting blown out by Iowa? How could LSU ever come back after losing to Troy? Teams do recover from bad games.

Let's see if this week's practices have made a difference. Otherwise, why even play the game? According to you it's already over.

"To many variables."

Stick to math.

Really? The grammar card du Lac? I thought more of you. Now the one thing I may give you is that the physical of play (although I disagree on Navy, we shut them down for the most part) seems to be lacking. I'm going to attribute that to strength and conditioning. I realize we have a new, and much improved program, but you cannot remake a team physically from spring to fall. I think it will take another entire off season to get this team physically where it needs to be. My biggest fear this weekend will be the how much we have left in the tank. Playing Navy is a physically draining week, then to head out to the west coast. I really don't want to see you and your bashing Kelly chorus celebrating a loss.

I think this board and many posters in general get caught up with too much of the hoopla! If every one of our games were won this yr by a point, and we sit at 11-0! What would you bitch about then?

I've noticed that, I, myself have gotten caught up in every nuance of ND football since i got my first smartphone. In this digital age. We know 100x more than we would have in the 90's early 2000's as far as what's going on that we would'nt have normally known regarding ND football.

I miss the days when all i cared about were Saturdays and turnin on the tv to watch our Irish. All the recruiting and coverage is great. Yet I've watched myself become less passionate a fan, and now more analytical in my approach to games and it kinda sucks!

Talking to my boy last night about Wimbush. He was very critical of BW. I thought to myself, he's really no different than Hurts in this regard (at this stage) in his career. I wont bore you with stats but they are nearly identical this yr statistically. Ranked 72&80 cfbstats.

Point being just enjoy our wins and stop worrying about how we looked doing it so much! I promise it is more gratifying! Think I'll go back to being a fan first, let the analytics for the end of yr.

Reactions: hvillebill
A fool? There's another side to that thinking.

I have to ask: if your reasoning is correct, then how could USC rebound after ND pounded them? How could Ohio State rebound after getting blown out by Iowa? How could LSU ever come back after losing to Troy? Teams do recover from bad games.

Let's see if this week's practices have made a difference. Otherwise, why even play the game? According to you it's already over.
Now,now 15 yards for bringing rational thinking and logic to the discussion. Shame !

Reactions: Pennick4

"If you think the style of play that gets us squeezing by Navy won't rear its ugly head against Stanford you're a fool. It certainly did against Miami."

What reared in Miami was everyone -- from Kelly on down to the last water boy -- was pissing their collective pants in a very hostile environment .. saw the look in the eyes of guys after plays early in the game did not go their way -- they looked utterly intimidated against Miami. Miami is not 35 points better than ND -- but, they came out and thought it was the national semi-final, and ND simply wanted no part of that -- and when Miami went up 14 early and the crowd really got going, you could see it in every ND face ...

"If you think the style of play that gets us squeezing by Navy won't rear its ugly head against Stanford you're a fool. It certainly did against Miami."

What reared in Miami was everyone -- from Kelly on down to the last water boy -- was pissing their collective pants in a very hostile environment .. saw the look in the eyes of guys after plays early in the game did not go their way -- they looked utterly intimidated against Miami. Miami is not 35 points better than ND -- but, they came out and thought it was the national semi-final, and ND simply wanted no part of that -- and when Miami went up 14 early and the crowd really got going, you could see it in every ND face ...
Cannot disagree with this. It's this mentality that scares me. This is what happened and signifies a non champion mentality. ND should've had blood in their eyes in Miami. You have to want it more. If not, it will show up on the scoreboard.

ADVERTISEMENT