ADVERTISEMENT

Pats front seven abusing the Chiefs.

Fantastic game. Both games really.

Mahomes is amazingly accurate while on the run. It is a shame the ref missed that obvious targeting/PI call.
The refs were so integral to both games I felt like I was watching the NBA. Close calls, missed calls, reviews. Exciting, but not what we want from football.

Reactions: rgc7
The refs were so integral to both games I felt like I was watching the NBA. Close calls, missed calls, reviews. Exciting, but not what we want from football.

The AFC game had bad calls going both ways. I don't thing Chiefs fans have anything to beef about.

Hell, maybe the NFC game did too. I wasn't watching the early game closely enough to say.

The Chiefs having nothing to beef about, if one of their defenders had not lined up in the neutral zone they would have won the game.

Saints got screwed, not only was that PI, it was targeting. First and goal saints score a TD or run a lot more time off the clock before the field goal.

Last edited:
Fantastic game. Both games really.

Mahomes is amazingly accurate while on the run. It is a shame the ref missed that obvious targeting/PI call.
It's also a shame that Pat Ryan missed two calls on one play and hardly the word "boo" from anyone. Zebras get involved when they shouldn't and don't get involved when they should. John Carlson gets flagged for signaling a first down after a catch. Others have done it a million times with no flag. Missed calls. No calls. Bad calls. Short of every penalty getting review status, there is nothing that can be done. It's been that way since the caveman start tackling each other over a rock, hence the term "that kid can throw the rock a long ways".

It's also a shame that Pat Ryan missed two calls on one play and hardly the word "boo" from anyone. Zebras get involved when they shouldn't and don't get involved when they should. John Carlson gets flagged for signaling a first down after a catch. Others have done it a million times with no flag. Missed calls. No calls. Bad calls. Short of every penalty getting review status, there is nothing that can be done. It's been that way since the caveman start tackling each other over a rock, hence the term "that kid can throw the rock a long ways".

As bad as that call was against New Orleans, I agree that reviewing every penalty or potential penalty is impossible. It was a bad day for NFL referees in both games.

The NFL admitted the “ non call” was the wrong call. It most likely cost the Saints a Super bowl trip.

Also the “ roughing “ the passer call against Chiefs , on Brady was a complete joke. I know there a fans on here who think he’s The greatest. I’m not saying he isn’t. What I am saying is that he rarely gets hit and if he played in a different era, 70’s 80’s or 90’s , any discussion about him would be much different. With that said I am fair and give him his due. His numbers speak loudly and he is the best ever.

The NFL admitted the “ non call” was the wrong call. It most likely cost the Saints a Super bowl trip.

Also the “ roughing “ the passer call against Chiefs , on Brady was a complete joke. I know there a fans on here who think he’s The greatest. I’m not saying he isn’t. What I am saying is that he rarely gets hit and if he played in a different era, 70’s 80’s or 90’s , any discussion about him would be much different. With that said I am fair and give him his due. His numbers speak loudly and he is the best ever.
A few comments. The Saints lost the game. Yes, the bad call hurt. But the questionable play calling gave the Rams a chance. If the Saints run the ball up the middle three times and than kick the FG, I find it really unlikely Goff leads the Rams down the field with a minute with no Gurley and no timeouts. You have the best running game against a team that can get gashed. So yeah the penalty let the Rams off the hook. But Saints did not help themselves.

In terms of the hit on Brady it was a bad call. But a guy on ESPN pointed out the odds of Brady taking a roughing call are about league average. So he is not getting special treatment. Call and no calls go both ways. Pats fans could point to the pick play that broke Watkins free.

Officiating is always going to be part of the game. We just have to hope that if bad it is impartial and it does not completely determine a winner.

My take away is both coaches in the Rams verse Saints game choked on some big situations in the 2nd half. I don't know how the Pats won. They have no breakaway outside threat. Gronk is a shadow of himself. The defense has few stars but very few liabilities. I think NE was willing to take points off the table in the 1st half because body punching KC with plays was more important then points. They would have lost a shootout. NE won despite being minus two in TO's

A few comments. The Saints lost the game. Yes, the bad call hurt. But the questionable play calling gave the Rams a chance. If the Saints run the ball up the middle three times and than kick the FG, I find it really unlikely Goff leads the Rams down the field with a minute with no Gurley and no timeouts. You have the best running game against a team that can get gashed. So yeah the penalty let the Rams off the hook. But Saints did not help themselves.

In terms of the hit on Brady it was a bad call. But a guy on ESPN pointed out the odds of Brady taking a roughing call are about league average. So he is not getting special treatment. Call and no calls go both ways. Pats fans could point to the pick play that broke Watkins free.

Officiating is always going to be part of the game. We just have to hope that if bad it is impartial and it does not completely determine a winner.

My take away is both coaches in the Rams verse Saints game choked on some big situations in the 2nd half. I don't know how the Pats won. They have no breakaway outside threat. Gronk is a shadow of himself. The defense has few stars but very few liabilities. I think NE was willing to take points off the table in the 1st half because body punching KC with plays was more important then points. They would have lost a shootout. NE won despite being minus two in TO's

Fair assessment. I agree on the play calls in the Saints game. Still, not calling that penalty was huge. If it’s called , the Saints most likely run the clock all the way down and kick the FG to win.

Fair assessment. I agree on the play calls in the Saints game. Still, not calling that penalty was huge. If it’s called , the Saints most likely run the clock all the way down and kick the FG to win.
Absolutely agree. Game is over. I have no clue how the ref did not call it. I heard that the ref said he thought the ball was tipped. In that case I think it is better to throw the flag, confer if tipped and if so pick up the flag.

Reactions: tkirish
Absolutely agree. Game is over. I have no clue how the ref did not call it. I heard that the ref said he thought the ball was tipped. In that case I think it is better to throw the flag, confer if tipped and if so pick up the flag.

We have the benefit of replay which showed it clearly wasn't close to being tipped but I agree, in that situation, throw the flag and get the call right. The problem was that the Saints called the right play which caused the defender to interfere. Even after the game the LA player said interfering was his only option and he knew he had interfered with the receiver.

If I was a Chiefs fan, I would be upset at the Brady call but I could see a referee missing that in game speed. That would be something I could see the NFL reviewing in the future like targeting calls. Also, the catch by Hogan was a big call that if it hadn't been called a completion may not have been overturned if they had called it incomplete. A very close call that kept a drive moving.

As for Brady, he turns the Chris Finke type receivers into stars. I have no idea how they are so good at rotating in players and not losing ground. Best organization from top to bottom in the NFL.

It was bad but normal for an ND fan. We had @3 of those when we played in Ann Arbor in 2009.

Also I want to note on the Pick Play, the commentator said "you're supposed to do it right at the line not 6 yards down the field" Well whatever pick the FSU refs called in the Tallahassee Takeback was right at the line as the Noles were in press coverage

Those two zebras should be forced to answer for their lack of a call on Bourbon Street.
That non call was @ the level of the Don Dekinger call @ 1st base during Cardinals WS.
That call happens in 1st qtr. it’s a crummy non call but with under 2 mins, they should never call another game

Those two zebras should be forced to answer for their lack of a call on Bourbon Street.
That non call was @ the level of the Don Dekinger call @ 1st base during Cardinals WS.
That call happens in 1st qtr. it’s a crummy non call but with under 2 mins, they should never call another game
The problem with calling out the refs is those were probably the best two crews based on past experience.

The problem with calling out the refs is those were probably the best two crews based on past experience.

I’m not sure about that. Also regardless those refs should be fired. You think Drew Brees another year older makes SB? You now ( me included) have a segment of sports fans who thinks this thing is fixed. Remember that NBA ref?

I’m not sure about that. Also regardless those refs should be fired. You think Drew Brees another year older makes SB? You now ( me included) have a segment of sports fans who thinks this thing is fixed. Remember that NBA ref?
Depends on what Saints lose. I don't think anything was fixed. Brees and Payton still had to fail on a number of plays to give the Rams a chance.

More replays. That's their answer. I have a solution of my own. It's simplistic, but Goodell is going ask himself why he didn't think of it. Hire better officials.They have the money to train and pay top officials. In college, get rid of conference affiliated officials. I don't trust them. And hire me to work the replay booth for all ND games. There is no recourse when these bozos decide to make or not make a call that is iffy at best. This targeting nonsense needs to be corrected. Not eliminated. Corrected. Not flagrant, you stay in the damn game. One more thing. MLB is thinking about a pitch clock. Don't need it. Just have the batters stay in the box and outlaw batting gloves. I have more if anyone is interested.

“Well whatever pick the FSU refs called in the Tallahassee Takeback was right at the line as the Noles were in press coverage”

And engaged w/ prosise first which takes the pick off the table.

You want to talk about officiating. I went to my oldest grandson's CYO eighth grade basketball league title game today. The zebras let 'em play. I swear they could have called targeting at least twice. The problem is, when the refs let them play, the kids get ramped up which gets the parents ramped up which often turns ugly.

You want to talk about officiating. I went to my oldest grandson's CYO eighth grade basketball league title game today. The zebras let 'em play. I swear they could have called targeting at least twice. The problem is, when the refs let them play, the kids get ramped up which gets the parents ramped up which often turns ugly.

Did you win?

Btw the plot thickens, Guess what resident poster is from New Port Beach? USC fan.

Yes. Grandson's team won. It's on to Freshman ball now. I have a gut feeling who that may be just by the weird obsession and way too much knowledge of USC football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT