ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Thoughts on migrating to a new message board / forum?

I would be willing to join a new forum/create a new account on a new forum/migrate over

• Yes

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
Between the constant spamming of ads on this forum, to other moderation issues not being dealt with properly, and this platform being old and lean on features anyway, what are your thoughts on migrating to a new forum?

I could create a forum on reddit's platform, but it would only really work if there was mass interest in migrating over. It won't work if the community is heavily split.

Reasons to move to new forum/platform:
  • There's constant spam from companies who keep making new accounts and posting links back to their site on this forum.
  • There's draconian ads spammed on this site (like the auto play videos that take up a lot of screen)
  • The mobile site is poorly optimized/crap -- e.g. i'm on mobile a lot but don't visit this site because of poor optimization (i'm sure others can relate)
  • Moderation of any kind is non existent (the admins here don't care because it's the 'free' board)
  • This message board platform is old and lean on features
A platform like reddit is constantly adding new features, and has an excellent mobile app, and the ads are much less intrusive. Plus we can appoint long time respected and well liked members of the community as mods. Somone like IIO would be a good candidate IMO.

The moderation wouldn't be to censor people's thoughts/ideas but to delete spam, merge redundant topics, delete total low value shit posts (e.g. someone just calling another person a retard without adding any value to the discussion, etc.)

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I knew you used Reddit.

Anyway, we understand your feelings turned into butt hurt. You’re a much better football poster than you’re a politics poster. Maybe avoid politics. Do you enjoy basketball? This is about one of the only places you’re gonna get some good ND basketball discussion.

I knew you used Reddit.

Anyway, we understand your feelings turned into butt hurt. You’re a much better football poster than you’re a politics poster. Maybe avoid politics. Do you enjoy basketball? This is about one of the only places you’re gonna get some good ND basketball discussion.

We can just have off topic/basketball related discussion on the new forum like we do here. I don't see an issue. And reddit does a good job of bringing in new users naturally (the site is well optimized for search engines) and a lot of people already have reddit accounts. Plus there's an excellent mobile app.

I'm pretty sure this is frowned upon. And it feels beta. Very take your ball and go home-ish. I started a thread one time about Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior and it was zapped in three replies. It burned me for a day. You'll be fine.

Reactions: rgc7 and zro pts4u
We can just have off topic/basketball related discussion on the new forum like we do here. I don't see an issue. And reddit does a good job of bringing in new users naturally (the site is well optimized for search engines) and a lot of people already have reddit accounts. Plus there's an excellent mobile app.

So you want a bunch of other users, similar to you, who can’t take any sort of criticism or opposing argument. Because that’s what you’ll get.

I'm pretty sure this is frowned upon. And it feels beta. Very take your ball and go home-ish. I started a thread one time about Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior and it was zapped in three replies. It burned me for a day. You'll be fine.

The issue goes way beyond simply having that one thread deleted.
  • There's constant spam from companies who keep making new accounts and posting links back to their site on this forum.
  • There's draconian ads spammed on this site (like the auto play videos that take up a lot of screen)
  • The mobile site is poorly optimized/crap -- i use mobile a lot but dont visit this site because it sucks on mobile
  • Moderation of any kind is non existent (they don't care because it's the 'free' board)
A platform like reddit is constantly adding new features, and has an excellent mobile app, and the ads are much less intrusive. Plus we can appoint long time respected members of the community as mods. Somone like IIO would be a good candidate IMO.

The moderation wouldn't be to censor people's thoughts/ideas but to delete spam, merge redundant topics, delete total low value shit posts (e.g. someone just calling another person a retard without adding any value to the discussion, etc.)

Last edited:
Between the constant spamming of ads on this forum, to other moderation issues not being dealt with properly, and this platform being old and lean on features anyway, what are your thoughts on migrating to a new forum?

I could create a forum on reddit's platform, but it would only really work if there was mass interest in migrating over. It won't work if the community is heavily split.

Here are some additional benefits of moving to a new platform:
  • The mobile site is poorly optimized/crap -- e.g. i'm on mobile a lot but don't visit this site because of poor optimization (i'm sure others can relate)
  • Moderation of any kind is non existent (the admins here don't care because it's the 'free' board)
A platform like reddit is constantly adding new features, and has an excellent mobile app, and the ads are much less intrusive. Plus we can appoint long time respected and well liked members of the community as mods. Somone like IIO would be a good candidate IMO.

Thoughts?
giphy.gif

Reactions: zro pts4u
The issue goes way beyond simply having that one thread deleted.
  • The mobile site is poorly optimized/crap -- i use mobile a lot but dont visit this site because it sucks on mobile
  • Moderation of any kind is non existent (they don't care because it's the 'free' board)
A platform like reddit is constantly adding new features, and has an excellent mobile app, and the ads are much less intrusive. Plus we can appoint long time respected members of the community as mods. Somone like IIO would be a good candidate IMO.

giphy.gif

Reactions: rgc7 and zro pts4u

Here are some additional benefits of moving to a new platform:

Thoughts?

Nobody will care either way if you leave...seriously. It’s a message board. Stop taking yourself too seriously.
Bye.

Reactions: rgc7 and Pennick4
ADVERTISEMENT