ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Power to Pardon

SeanPol355

I've posted how many times?
Aug 29, 2003
Chicago area
I've always thought of the Presidential power to pardon as an instrument of Justice. But it may soon become an instrument of power. Unbelievable.

I've always thought of the Presidential power to pardon as an instrument of Justice. But it may soon become an instrument of power. Unbelievable.
Go back to the Michigan Board will ya. This is a football board for serious posts...

King Donald the First:

"The president isn't required to explain or justify his actions to you, me, Congress or anyone else for that matter.The power to pardon is left solely to the discretion of the president, and cannot be reviewed or overturned by any of the other branches of government. So why do presidential pardons raise so many eyebrows?

"Perhaps it's because, in our government of separated and balanced branches, this unique power stands out like a sore thumb -- a president in full-pardon swing more resembles a king than an elected official. In fact, the basis of the presidential pardon can be found in the royal Prerogative of English Kings."

LOL follow politics much? Remember when Clinton pardoned his buddies/contributors? It always has had a political component. Obama pardoning all the druggies wasn't justice, they were convicted and serving time. It was his political belief that those crimes were too heavily sentenced.

Remember towards the end of Obama's Administration when Rudy Giuliani was imploring him not to pardon Hillary. What goes around comes around. LOL funny stuff. I've heard different readings about the powers of pardon, not only can't it apply to impeachment, but it also might not apply to indictment.

Last edited:
previous presidents had their friends and family served some time in prison and only pardoned them when they left office. Trump is looking into pardoning his entire family and himself from prosecution without going to trial or jail, totally different from all previous administrations

Ah yes. God emporer king Obamy sure used his power to pardon. How many dangerous drug criminals were put back on the street directly from his order?

The fact that Trump is even tweeting about his so-called unlimited pardon powers is pathetic and disconcerting. This appropriately termed fishing expedition may in fact catch some fish. Thought it was a huge mistake when Trump brought on Manafort as he has a well earned reputation for behind the political scene sleaze, and I for one would be relieved if he turns out to be the biggest fish caught. The country will be better served if we get beyond this Russia crap and Mueller reaches conclusions that hopefully clears Trump and his family, so he can get on with his agenda; and we will all have a chance to express our level of approval or disapproval in three short years.

Reactions: rgc7
Many Presidents, Democrats and Republicans, made questionable pardons. Some for political purposes, some as favors. Obama. Clinton. Bush. Ford. Etc.

But none have been as brazen as King Donald.

Pardons are given for crimes. Have Donald and family committed crimes? Is his twit storm today an admission of guilt?

Give an investigator a team, unlimited resources and funds with a directive to look into everything and anything and none of us would survive that. Neither would have Barack Hussein Obama and certainly not that cackling hen Hillary. Here's the real deal. The in- bedded, the media, the ruling class do not want an outsider invading their space, and that includes an outside lefty like Bernie. A message is being sent that outsiders will not be tolerated and not allowed to crash the party. This coming from Dems, socialite Republicans, Never Trumpers, and the media. It will be the same for an outsider from the left if he doesn't play ball. The Rock and Kid Rock might hear this message loud and clear. The voters do not matter. They just don't matter. A wall will never be funded. Taxes will not be adjusted. Nothing will be done on immigration if Congress has anything to do with it. Obama care will die a slow and painful death with zero help from Republicans to put it out of it's misery. I didn't support Trump last November but I do now.

Reactions: rgc7 and cheta41
A billionaire, country-clubbing TV star is an "outsider?" A guy who appoints six (6) Goldman Sachs alums is going to "drain the swamp?"

A man who wants tax cuts for billionaires while taking away Medicaid is "standing up for the little guy?" A man who has filed six bankruptcies, stiffed contractors, cheated students. A guy who spends every weekend golfing at his fancy clubs. You think this guy cares about anyone other than himself?

Oh Toby. You got played.

A billionaire, country-clubbing TV star is an "outsider?" A guy who appoints six (6) Goldman Sachs alums is going to "drain the swamp?"

A man who wants tax cuts for billionaires while taking away Medicaid is "standing up for the little guy?" A man who has filed six bankruptcies, stiffed contractors, cheated students. A guy who spends every weekend golfing at his fancy clubs. You think this guy cares about anyone other than himself?

Oh Toby. You got played.
The swamp is made up of government hacks. Give me all the successful businessmen that want to join the administration.
#MAGA

A guy who spent an adult lifetime working in the refineries and steel mills doesn't get played. He's been there, done that. Actually experienced things. Never lived in a shell of fellow protective cupcakes. A person only has to look at the media coverage and media/lefty outrage over Fast and Furious, IRS scandal, Benghazi, email scandal, and Solyndra compared to the obsessive, orgasmic coverage of Russia to see who really is getting played.

A guy who spent an adult lifetime working in the refineries and steel mills doesn't get played. He's been there, done that. Actually experienced things. Never lived in a shell of fellow protective cupcakes. A person only has to look at the media coverage and media/lefty outrage over Fast and Furious, IRS scandal, Benghazi, email scandal, and Solyndra compared to the obsessive, orgasmic coverage of Russia to see who really is getting played.
The slow but steady implosion of 45s administration is going to make for some very interesting discussions in the classroom this coming school year. I have many bright independent thinking kids this year and I am really looking forward to their thoughts.

Reactions: benko's army
The fact that Trump is even tweeting about his so-called unlimited pardon powers is pathetic and disconcerting. This appropriately termed fishing expedition may in fact catch some fish. Thought it was a huge mistake when Trump brought on Manafort as he has a well earned reputation for behind the political scene sleaze, and I for one would be relieved if he turns out to be the biggest fish caught. The country will be better served if we get beyond this Russia crap and Mueller reaches conclusions that hopefully clears Trump and his family, so he can get on with his agenda; and we will all have a chance to express our level of approval or disapproval in three short years.
Notre Dame law professor Jim Gurule stated that in his opinion 45s actions in investigating his ability to grant pardons are not the actions of an innocent man.

Notre Dame law professor Jim Gurule stated that in his opinion 45s actions in investigating his ability to grant pardons are not the actions of an innocent man.

And what were the comments of this esteemed law prof concerning Fast and Furious, IRS scandal, email scandal, and the Benghazi cover up? Wait, I know. Silence. Even you would not stand up to the steady negative investigation every second of every day. Things are still getting done despite these fools who want blood because things didn't go their way. Are you one of them?

What are the proven crimes or is this all bs driven by the Democratic Party and the MSM

And what were the comments of this esteemed law prof concerning Fast and Furious, IRS scandal, email scandal, and the Benghazi cover up? Wait, I know. Silence. Even you would not stand up to the steady negative investigation every second of every day. Things are still getting done despite these fools who want blood because things didn't go their way. Are you one of them?
Not sure. Just relaying what I read TODAY. Always so miserable ?

Reactions: NIN Irish
I've never seen so many fawn over another politician. What has Trump done for you? Does it not make you sick to hear the people that work for him (really us) say how they love Trump like he's the next Jesus Christ? That crap is not normal. So called republicans wished for power they can careless of the hero worshiping going on.

Not sure. Just relaying what I read TODAY. Always so miserable ?
Asking for a little more reliable back story to your comments makes me curious and suspicious, not miserable. Miserable are those who curse the ground they walk on since the last election. Are you one of those?

Many Presidents, Democrats and Republicans, made questionable pardons. Some for political purposes, some as favors. Obama. Clinton. Bush. Ford. Etc.

But none have been as brazen as King Donald.

Pardons are given for crimes. Have Donald and family committed crimes? Is his twit storm today an admission of guilt?

Has Trump issued pardons? Who did he pardon? What about the pardons he has isuued justifies your statement, "
But none have been as brazen as King Donald."

The slow but steady implosion of 45s administration is going to make for some very interesting discussions in the classroom this coming school year. I have many bright independent thinking kids this year and I am really looking forward to their thoughts.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you are not exactly neutral in the classroom and the students know which way you lean. You probably have made comments regarding this. The students will adjust their independent thinking accordingly. The NEA has made it clear that they are an extension of the extreme left and I'm sure like minded organizations in other western countries are the same.

Asking for a little more reliable back story to your comments makes me curious and suspicious, not miserable. Miserable are those who curse the ground they walk on since the last election. Are you one of those?
No. I don t know what the law professor had to say about past issues nor do I care. I live in the present and just relayed what I read. This being a Notre Dame board I thought some here might be interested in a Notre Dame educators opinion. Not quite sure why you come across as quite curmudgeonly most of the time. Kind of sad.

Reactions: benko's army
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you are not exactly neutral in the classroom and the students know which way you lean. You probably have made comments regarding this. The students will adjust their independent thinking accordingly. The NEA has made it clear that they are an extension of the extreme left and I'm sure like minded organizations in other western countries are the same.
You could not be more off base if you tried. District policy prohibits the promotion of personal agendas. My classes are the polar opposite of your biased, narrow minded thinking.

You could not be more off base if you tried. District policy prohibits the promotion of personal agendas. My classes are the polar opposite of your biased, narrow minded thinking.
I'm thinking I'm right. Lefties can't help themselves. It's in their DNA to search and destroy. The NEA and associated organizations differ greatly with your "fair and balanced" philosophy. Focusing on Russia 24/7 is the very definition of narrow minded. Are you narrow minded?

I'm thinking I'm right. Lefties can't help themselves. It's in their DNA to search and destroy. The NEA and associated organizations differ greatly with your "fair and balanced" philosophy. Focusing on Russia 24/7 is the very definition of narrow minded. Are you narrow minded?
Not at all. Yes you are still 100 percent wrong in your assessment of what you believe transpires in my classroom.

Toby, I think you struck a nerve with Echowaker. Quest 4twelve, you've never seen people fawn so much over a politician? Really? Where have you been the last 8 years? Folks, if you don't like DTrump, you have plenty of company. Obviously the Dems don't like him. The main stream media, of which he used to gush over him, turned on him because they don't support his agenda. The GOP is scared to death of him because they can't believe he actually got elected and they thought he would ruin the party. Many GOPs also don't want to rock their boat any more than the Dems do. Trump is a narcissistic, pompous A$$ IMHO. But you can't say he is an insider as far as the political world is concerned. You also have to know that he is being treated much differently than the previous administration regarding so called scandals. (we will have to wait and see if there actually are any). In the meantime, this type of open debate is what makes this country great. And elections where all of the money in world didn't work also is refreshing regardless of who won or lost. Enjoy the discussion, remember at the end of day, we all want a better world, and WE ALL WANT THE IRISH TO WIN!!

Reactions: cheta41
Not at all. Yes you are still 100 percent wrong in your assessment of what you believe transpires in my classroom.
Echo...I don't presume to know how or what you teach. That said, is there any debate that our education system is largely mediocre; that the teachers unions and associated PACs put teacher salaries and job security before the education of our young; that there has been a systemic shift toward liberal bias in all things education over the past thirty years; that our education institutions have largely shut down open discussion and derided conservative thought to the point of censureship? We have teachers in our family and we value their dedication and efforts, and most represent a very small minority of teachers striving to provide an education that exposes students to a wide range of thinking, where alternative views are respected and encouraged for open discussion as part of the daily teaching experience. You may be of a similar mind and practice, and I hope you are, but chances are overwhelming that you fit the liberal bias stereotype that is so overwhelmingly present among our teachers today.

Has Trump issued pardons? Who did he pardon? What about the pardons he has isuued justifies your statement, "
But none have been as brazen as King Donald."
He hasn't used his pardon power yet - he has to be charged with a crime before he can pardon himself. But his declaration to use his power to pardon is clear evidence - to me and others - that he expects to use that power. And since that power is used only in the case of a crime, his twit storm must be a "Freudian slip" admission that he committed a crime.

What I find most interesting, is his political posturing on the Mueller investigation is by the Bill Clinton book, except for the twit storms. The Clinton team went after Ken Starr with a similar vengeance, but didn't have Trump's twit channel back in those days. And the media was piling on Clinton with just as much venom as what Trump is experiencing today.

The MAGA crowd justifies everything bad Trump does, saying Clinton did it too. Sad comparison.

How many of the Russia collusion conspiracy truth seekers on this board were so adamant about getting to the truth, whatever it took, on the issues of Fast and Furious, "Reverend Wright"...did Barry know his preacher was a racist and when did he know it, Benghazi, IRS scandal, Solyndra, and the Clinton email scandal? How many posted on this very board that they wanted truth and justice in all these scandals? Echo and your "like" pals...I'm talking to you. Did you come out publicly seeking the truth or is your truth seeking selective? I know the answer to all these questions. None, none, no and yes.

Echo...I don't presume to know how or what you teach. That said, is there any debate that our education system is largely mediocre; that the teachers unions and associated PACs put teacher salaries and job security before the education of our young; that there has been a systemic shift toward liberal bias in all things education over the past thirty years; that our education institutions have largely shut down open discussion and derided conservative thought to the point of censureship? We have teachers in our family and we value their dedication and efforts, and most represent a very small minority of teachers striving to provide an education that exposes students to a wide range of thinking, where alternative views are respected and encouraged for open discussion as part of the daily teaching experience. You may be of a similar mind and practice, and I hope you are, but chances are overwhelming that you fit the liberal bias stereotype that is so overwhelmingly present among our teachers today.

Yes, there is considerable debate about these issues and the efforts of educators. Your views are more supported by your biases than by the evidence.

Reactions: echowaker
The swamp is made up of government hacks. Give me all the successful businessmen that want to join the administration.
#MAGA

DFVv4rZV0AA9uT3.png

Trump spent a year bashing Hillary and Cruz for their ties to Goldman Sachs. Then he gets elected and appoints a bunch of Goldman Sachs' guys. And cuts regulations to make it easier on the big banks and tougher on the "little guy."

This flip flop proves Trump is a hypocrite. Tough talk against Wall Street to get elected, then immediately shows where his allegiance lies.

ADVERTISEMENT