ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RIP Vin Scully

Outstanding announcer. My father , after Yankee games , would find Dodger games just to listen to his comments ,short stories between pitches .

Best announcer I have ever listened to.

67 years as the LA Dodgers lead announcer.

Again.

As a Reds fan we had Marty Brennaman. But man Vin Scully was the best. Not the best baseball announcer but the best sports announcer ever. All the famous voices of my youth are gone.

As a Reds fan we had Marty Brennaman. But man Vin Scully was the best. Not the best baseball announcer but the best sports announcer ever. All the famous voices of my youth are gone.
"...not the best baseball announcer..."

Well, we disagree widely. And I listened to Bob Costas say today there is not a baseball announcer alive or dead that is even close.

Last edited:
Reactions: NIN Irish
No other announcer could broadcast a game by themselves, that's what Scully did much of the time. Fantastic voice and storyteller.
He was the voice of baseball for my young childhood in southern California. Grandpa always had the Dodgers on.
RIP Vin Scully.

Reactions: mbd11 and sjb75
Several decades ago, I was stuck on the 405 freeway on a hot smogy day in my 68 Corvair. No air conditioning, moving at about a mile per hour, hotter than hell. Fishing around the radio I found Vin. The car wasn't moving any faster, it wasn't getting any cooler and the air was not getting any cleaner.

It didn't matter because I was at the ball game sitting next to my friend Vin.

"...not the best baseball announcer..."

Well, we disagree widely. And I listened to Bob Costas say today there is not a baseball announcer alive or dead that is even close.
I didn’t mean he wasn’t the best baseball announcer, he was. I meant to say that football, baseball or basketball or any other sport, IMO he is the all time best any sport.

Don’t get me wrong, he was the best.

Several decades ago, I was stuck on the 405 freeway on a hot smogy day in my 68 Corvair. No air conditioning, moving at about a mile per hour, hotter than hell. Fishing around the radio I found Vin. The car wasn't moving any faster, it wasn't getting any cooler and the air was not getting any cleaner.

It didn't matter because I was at the ball game sitting next to my friend Vin.
That is cool. His voice was the best. Wish I could have grown up listening to him. Hell I probably would have been a Dodger fan.

Reactions: NIN Irish
I remember October 15, 1988 so well. Went to see ND beat Miami 31-30 with my Dad. Dad and I drove home listening to the WS game 1 and got home in time to hear, “ and look who is coming to the plate.”

“In a year that has been so improbable, the impossible has happened.”

Reactions: Bogie8870
I remember October 15, 1988 so well. Went to see ND beat Miami 31-30 with my Dad. Dad and I drove home listening to the WS game 1 and got home in time to hear, “ and look who is coming to the plate.”

“In a year that has been so improbable, the impossible has happened.”

That was a day filled with some good memories.

Reactions: Irishjohn68
A few days ago, I listened to the last 3 outs of Sandy Koufax's perfect game over the Cubs 1-0. It was bliss to hear Scully and I'm not even a Dodgers fan. A close friend of mine who passed, loved Koufax and the Dodgers will now talk Dodger baseball with the ultimate baseball storyteller.

A few days ago, I listened to the last 3 outs of Sandy Koufax's perfect game over the Cubs 1-0. It was bliss to hear Scully and I'm not even a Dodgers fan. A close friend of mine who passed, loved Koufax and the Dodgers will now talk Dodger baseball with the ultimate baseball storyteller.
Scully was at his best on a Tuesday night with the score 9-1 in the T6.

I grew up in Chicago as a Cubs fan and remember listening to that game on a transistor radio (the old farts like me here will remember those!) I had hidden under my pillow. It was a school night, and because the game was played in LA, I was supposed to be in bed and sleeping.

It was an incredible game that the Dodgers won 1-0. Koufax threw a perfect game, but the Cubs pitcher, lefty Bob Hendley, was nearly as good as Koufax. Hendley gave up only one hit, and it didn't even figure in the scoring. The Dodgers scored their only run on a walk, sacrifice bunt (remember those?), stolen base and throwing error by the Cubs catcher.

There were only two base runners in the entire game, still an MLB record. Hendley was great that night, but Koufax was perfect.

I grew up in Chicago as a Cubs fan and remember listening to that game on a transistor radio (the old farts like me here will remember those!) I had hidden under my pillow. It was a school night, and because the game was played in LA, I was supposed to be in bed and sleeping.

It was an incredible game that the Dodgers won 1-0. Koufax threw a perfect game, but the Cubs pitcher, lefty Bob Hendley, was nearly as good as Koufax. Hendley gave up only one hit, and it didn't even figure in the scoring. The Dodgers scored their only run on a walk, sacrifice bunt (remember those?), stolen base and throwing error by the Cubs catcher.

There were only two base runners in the entire game, still an MLB record. Hendley was great that night, but Koufax was perfect.
I own a small, black transistor radio today, and listen to LA Dodger Baseball on one often.

ADVERTISEMENT