ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Leon Spinks

I knew the guy in the Marine Corps....after the Olympics. He was assigned to "Special Services"....meaning he was assigned to the base recreation center. Kind of like being a pie taster in a pie factory. Nice enough guy....hung around our barracks quite a bit.

Died today at 67 years old. Cancer sucks.
5b2299f057ae0.image_.jpg

That is a photo of Leon's younger brother, Michael, getting knocked out by Mike Tyson. Leon never fought Tyson. After the knockout, Michael Spinks retired. That fight took place in Tyson's prime, and you could see the fear in Michael Spinks' eyes before the fight started. In those days Tyson was just a savage fighter. Nobody really wanted to go into the ring with him.

That is a photo of Leon's younger brother, Michael, getting knocked out by Mike Tyson. Leon never fought Tyson. After the knockout, Michael Spinks retired. That fight took place in Tyson's prime, and you could see the fear in Michael Spinks' eyes before the fight started. In those days Tyson was just a savage fighter. Nobody really wanted to go into the ring with him.

Tyson was a smart and savage fighter whom no one could defeat..... until he met Robbin Givens .

Samson and Delilah!

Last edited:
The look on Michael Spinks face before the fight was like, holy shit I should not be here.

The look on Michael Spinks face before the fight was like, holy shit I should not be here.

I don't think I have ever seen a boxer more afraid to be in a ring than Michael Spinks was that night. I read a story that Spinks' manager tried to pull a cheap stunt before the fight by questioning whether Tyson had something in his gloves, and demanding that Tyson's gloves be inspected and rewrapped. Apparently that really pissed off Tyson, and he came out of the locker room with blood on his mind. Probably explains why the fight was over in 91 seconds.

Last edited:
13.5 million for 91 seconds in the ring with Tyson, I know alot of people who would do that

So this is Leon's 2nd time making headlines?
+Nope.....at least the third time. Olympic Gold was first, then heavyweight championship beating Ali......I would say fourth. The third was when he suffered a shocking knockout loss to Gerrie Coetzee. That was hi-light reel material.

Reactions: tbonesays
The heavyweight division in not what it used to be. In the 60's, 70's everyone knew who the champion was - Ali, Frazer, Spinks, Foreman ....... I couldn't tell you who the heavy weight champ is today.

ADVERTISEMENT