ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I am now done with the NFL

Excited to see what the NFL ratings were for this Sunday. I bet they are down at least 25%. Liberals will say that it's because of people getting rid of cable, but the funny thing is that college football ratings are up

This is a bitter pill.
Being a Jaguar season ticket holder and watching them kneel to OUR National Anthem, but stand for a foreign countries is the final straw.
I have just sent the Jaguars a letter stating that "I will not be renewing my tickets" , and emailed my sister to do what she wants with the remaining one's but I would prefer she mails them back to the front office.

The day Americans honor a foreigners fag over their own is a day to take a stand

RGC,

You were correct I was wrong. I should of listen to you brother.

Agree. But the owners are pussies. They should make a league rule that standing silently is mandatory and they should "fire that SOB" if they kneel or otherwise disrespect the Flag and Anthem. Once they see attendance and viewership drop they will be forced to deal with this issue.

If these players want to protest something on their own time, that's their right. But when they are in uniform on the job, they are not individuals.

Written by someone who si unable to review data in an unbiased manner. You can argue degrees of inequality, but not the fact of inequality.
First define for me what "inequality" even means. Is there a difference between inequality and inequity? Also, does a simple statistical disparity qualify as "inequality"? Over 90% of prisoners in America are male. Would you consider that "inequality" and corrupt sexism in the Justice system? I just want to know the metrics you are using to determine your conclusion.

Before starting a discussion, make sure you carefully frame the issue at hand, then we can proceed.

My father and uncle served in WWII, my brother served in 'Nam and my nephew served in Iraqi Freedom to fight for this country. Not one single thing these self righteous, spoiled, entitled wusses has done will ever measure up.

I'm almost completely done with pro sports period. I quit watching the NBA almost twenty years ago when it became infiltrated by overpaid, unskilled thugs. I quit watching MLB for the most part almost twenty years ago after watching overpaid players strike multiple times over the years.

Pre 2009 no team was on the sideline for the national anthem. If the NFL does anything they will revert back to this.
That's taking the coward way out.

Leave it up to the owner and the repercussion that may or may not follow against said kneeling player.

If the owner opts to do nothing his fan support will fall on its face. So he's left with a decision.

The NFL needs a spine and it's employees need to get some class.

Reactions: p278 and rgc7
I've been mulling over whether or not to respond to this topic aside from my usual snarky anti-political bs. So here goes...

I will not stop watching football. Whether it is NFL, College, or high school. For me personally, it isn't the stances of the players, their personal views, the coach's views, the owners views, etc. It's the 60 minutes (48 for HS) on the field. I love watching blocking schemes, individual talent, blitzes, various combinations of zone and man coverage, and the chess match between players and coaches on both sides.

Those minutes of action are special to me. The preparation, teamwork, intelligence, and execution show for good or for bad on every single play. It doesn't matter what the makeup or background the 11 players have. They could be any mix of ethnicity, socio-economic background, religion, etc. Regardless of the mix, those 11 work together to achieve a goal each and every play. That's what I have always loved about football and will continue to love about football between the lines. Look up Bill Curry's speech on Magnanimitas (greatness of spirit). It's fantastic and thankfully it isn't preachy or politically bent. It's just about the greatness of the football huddle.

I am a stubborn person however. I do not want nor will I allow the noise, rhetoric, or politics infringe on those 60 minutes. I decide for myself what my priorities are at any given moment. During a game--NFL, CFB, HSFB--I decide that the action of that game is for me to enjoy the battle between both teams, the plays, the schemes, and the on-field action. Those that choose otherwise are more than free to do so and don't need me to tell them that. But I watch football because I like football. When I decide that I want to voice an opinion, make a statement, support a cause, or learn more about a viewpoint, I will do so. But that will occur at my discretion and it will not taint my personal view or enjoyment of what I see on the field. What everyone and anyone else does is up to them. I sure as hell can't change it and no one else can change or keep me from my enjoyment of the game of football...except for extreme power outages due to natural disasters of course.

IMHO

If they have the legal authority to do that, all the power to them. I think it would be an excellent response by the players to use their massive combined social media power to lobby for a boycott of all of Donald Trump's hotels and services and it would be great to see the NBA guys like Steph Curry jump on board as well. I'm sure if they spread the word enough they can do some pretty irreparable damage to the Trump Fortune and put some extra stress on the old man. If he wants their livelihoods taken away, He has the right to voice it. I'd like to see them do the same.
They have that opportunity in 2020. Oh yeah lots of NBA fans staying at Trump resorts and playing golf at Doral etc. Right![sarcasm]

Reactions: DaveK913
They have that opportunity in 2020. Oh yeah lots of NBA fans staying at Trump resorts and playing golf at Doral etc. Right![sarcasm]

If the wealthy want to keep supporting Mr. Trump's fortune that is their business. Nobody is telling people how to spend their money. I'm simply stating that the President has a huge platform through media and social media to make his points and attack these protesters. The players in the NBA and NFL also have a huge reach through various forms of media. It would be excellent to see both sides use their reach and allow the American people to side with whom they will. What I like about Donald Trump is that he doesn't always just play the game by the standard conventions and rules. I'm happy when every day Americans defy him in the same way. If they can use their reach to damage Mr. Trump's business Empire, good for them. If other Americans don't jump on board, good for them as well.

Nobody is denying it.

But actions do have ramifications!
Trump stating that the players doing should be fired. It was his opinion on the matter.

Whether an NFL owner wants to do that is his choice as well and nobody can say a word about it.

The very amendment the kneelers point to that protect them is the very same one an owner can exercise with zero explanation. If firing a player is his form of speech, oh well.

The one word that usually doesn't come up enough with these self centered idiots is no class.

These people have absolutely no class.

Say what you want about Jerry Jones but he will not have someone disrespecting his organization and fans by being selfish.

That's all this move is. More selfish look at me idiotic horseshit.
yet jerry has no issue with domestic abusers on his team. i bet if zak prescott kneels tonight he won't get canned. all bluster.

Give it a shot. Suppose a Republican athlete knelt to protest abortion? One thing I've noticed since this whole thing broke is the right doesn't protest.

Our troops fought for American ideals, like Freedom of Religion, and now we have a movement to prevent an entire sect from practicing. And some would like elimination of probably a few more

They fought for the priveledge of choosing our leaders, yet even on a good day about one third of us don't vote. Sometimes 80% stay home

They sacrificed so that we can question our leaders yet when we do that today the "leader" has us beaten up

Stay respectful all
can you imagine the outrage from the right if barack obama while president urged people to boycott Hobby Lobby for their stance on abortion ? Or Chick- Fil-A for their decision to be closed on sundays for religious beliefs ? Last week 6 players out of nearly 1700 knelt for the national anthem. the moron who sometimes sleeps at the white house ran his uneducated yap again and yesterday over 200 did. wait till the nba season starts. an issue that was slowly but surely burning itself out has been reignited by 45. Thinking the players are protesting the flag is akin to believing rosa parks had a problem with public transportation.

That's taking the coward way out.

Leave it up to the owner and the repercussion that may or may not follow against said kneeling player.

If the owner opts to do nothing his fan support will fall on its face. So he's left with a decision.

The NFL needs a spine and it's employees need to get some class.
your posts reek of ignorance. Nothing in the CBA prohibits the players from kneeling or sitting during the anthem. you don't have to like it. I don't. But I am also a realist. the situation has been exacerbated because of the nut job in the white house. his actions were unnecessary and reckless. Jerry Jones and every other owner can certainly fire their players if they choose over this issue. They will still have to pay them and they would all get their jobs back through the negotiated grievance procedure.

That's the problem. The players think society is still what it was in the time of Rosa Parks.
maybe so. the issue is they fully have the right to protest just as others have the right to dislike it and not patronize their business. I have a much larger issue with 45 urging boycotts of businesses. there are many thousands of people outside of the players who rely on the nfl for a paycheck. his actions were reckless.

Agree. But the owners are pussies. They should make a league rule that standing silently is mandatory and they should "fire that SOB" if they kneel or otherwise disrespect the Flag and Anthem. Once they see attendance and viewership drop they will be forced to deal with this issue.

If these players want to protest something on their own time, that's their right. But when they are in uniform on the job, they are not individuals.
Perfectly said: the owners are absolute pussies.

Reactions: rgc7
can you imagine the outrage from the right if barack obama while president urged people to boycott Hobby Lobby for their stance on abortion ? Or Chick- Fil-A for their decision to be closed on sundays for religious beliefs ? Last week 6 players out of nearly 1700 knelt for the national anthem. the moron who sometimes sleeps at the white house ran his uneducated yap again and yesterday over 200 did. wait till the nba season starts. an issue that was slowly but surely burning itself out has been reignited by 45. Thinking the players are protesting the flag is akin to believing rosa parks had a problem with public transportation.
Echo, I was with you up to your last sentence. The flag is symbolic for the USA, and they are choosing to not honor this symbol in a public display to bring attention to what they perceive to be systemic discrimination in our justice system against blacks. Of course they're protesting the flag and basically saying what it stands for is not equitably true for the black community.

Perfectly said: the owners are absolute pussies.
no. they are abiding by the CBA. take the emotion out of the issue and be realistic. the players have not violated any work rules or any section of the CBA. The owners are certainly within their rights to negotiate a clause in the agreement banning such actions. until that occurs there is no violation.

Echo, I was with you up to your last sentence. The flag is symbolic for the USA, and they are choosing to not honor this symbol in a public display to bring attention to what they perceive to be systemic discrimination in our justice system against blacks. Of course they're protesting the flag and basically saying what it stands for is not equitably true for the black community.
we can certainly argue semantics. i won't . again i have a much bigger issue with the actions of 45 than anything the players are doing.

Wait until POTUS starts using military intelligence assets to obtain and distribute information about his political opponents.

no. they are abiding by the CBA. take the emotion out of the issue and be realistic. the players have not violated any work rules or any section of the CBA. The owners are certainly within their rights to negotiate a clause in the agreement banning such actions. until that occurs there is no violation.

And when revenues drop the next CBA will be negotiated from that perspective. Maybe this time that can also get abusers of women banned from the game for life.

Not compared to our Pussy In Chief.

Trump knows his health plan isn't going through so he brought this up to distract the country. And once again we are falling for it.

Healthcare isn't going through. NAFTA isn't getting "ripped up" and the "big wall. Really big wall" isn't getting built... Trump ran a brilliant campaign that capitalized on a lot of American anger, but unless he starts going straight up Obama and pushing things through (which I think was travesty), most of the grandiose ideas aren't happening.

None of that is going to happen because he isn't a career establishment politician like most of the congress critters and they will block any legislation he proposes because he isn't one of "them".

I didn't vote for the guy mind you but DC has needed to be shaken up for decades. The clowns that have been there for twenty, thirty, forty years without doing much else but line their own pockets need to go and that's why I'm for term limits for congress. Maybe then people will actually pay attention to who they're voting for other than the D or an R next to a name.

None of that is going to happen because he isn't a career establishment politician like most of the congress critters and they will block any legislation he proposes because he isn't one of "them".

I didn't vote for the guy mind you but DC has needed to be shaken up for decades. The clowns that have been there for twenty, thirty, forty years without doing much else but line their own pockets need to go and that's why I'm for term limits for congress. Maybe then people will actually pay attention to who they're voting for other than the D or an R next to a name.

Government at every level has grown so big that it is an entity completely separate from the people that are being governed. Both parties are totally out of touch with what I believe is a relatively moderate population. But how do we throw these career elitists out of office. They have the system rigged in their favor. Term limits will never get passed because these clowns will not give up the power they've had for decades.

Amen. It starts with money in politics. As long as the United States allows money and monstrous political donations to be a part of the political process (the most important part), you'll have a greedy people in Washington who have obligations to do favours to those that paid to put them in power and the average American will not, and cannot be looked after... That's why I am generally right leaning, and in favour of much smaller government. I don't want bought off people making decisions that favour their buddies, instead of their constituents...

Last edited:
Government at every level has grown so big that it is an entity completely separate from the people that are being governed. Both parties are totally out of touch with what I believe is a relatively moderate population. But how do we throw these career elitists out of office. They have the system rigged in their favor. Term limits will never get passed because these clowns will not give up the power they've had for decades.

No argument here and both parties make good and sure a real third party never gets a foothold. They rake in all the campaign money and make sure no one else can get their foot in the door, other than a cameo appearance during debates. That's one reason why Trump was able to win the nomination and eventually the election. They were sick of the same people getting in office and doing the same things as always.

Amen. It starts with money in politics. As long as the United States allows money and monstrous political donations to be a part of the political process (the most important part), you'll have a greedy people in Washington who have obligations to do favours to those that paid to put them in power and the average American will not, and cannot be looked after... That's why I am generally right leaning, and in favour of much smaller government. I don't want bought off people making decisions that favour their buddies, instead of their constituents...
ABSOLUTELY...I COUNLD NOT AGREE MORE.....WITHOUT A DOUBT......END OF STORY

maybe so. the issue is they fully have the right to protest just as others have the right to dislike it and not patronize their business. I have a much larger issue with 45 urging boycotts of businesses. there are many thousands of people outside of the players who rely on the nfl for a paycheck. his actions were reckless.

Actually, they don't have the right to protest. Your right to protest only applies to the government, not to the private sector. If a company feels the actions of employees are harmful to the company's business, they can fire or discipline the employees. The NFL obviously doesn't feel that way, but if they did, they certainly have the legal right to take action against the players.

NFL Commish called Trump's comment divisive. The protests are not?

Clearly just taking the side of of his own guys. Would one of Trump's higher ups criticize their boss the way you think the Commish should the players?... I doubt it. They'd become another fired, former member of the Trump Government.

Why do people on either side of this debate expect the other side to relent or take the other's side? That's not how these things work.

Actually, they don't have the right to protest. Your right to protest only applies to the government, not to the private sector. If a company feels the actions of employees are harmful to the company's business, they can fire or discipline the employees. The NFL obviously doesn't feel that way, but if they did, they certainly have the legal right to take action against the players.
Sure they do. Their conduct like it or not is not a violation of the labor agreement between the league and the players union. Why is that so difficult for some here to accept ?

Reactions: ivan brunetti
Correct. That action would be subject to the grievance and arbitration process in which the players would surely win as there was no violation. It would just cost the owners more money. The CBA is just that, an agreement between two parties. If either side violates the terms there are procedures in place to solve them. Quite simple.

Sure they do. Their conduct like it or not is not a violation of the labor agreement between the league and the players union. Why is that so difficult for some here to accept ?

Because it's not a violation of the labor agreement. You keep saying that, and it's not true.

ADVERTISEMENT