ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Coach Prime to Colorado

Well... Deon already trying to poach ND guys apparently.

yep, he is prime time; but eventually he has to be seen as Coach! And he will be measured according to his coaching abilities and accomplishments! Today the kids are attracted to the aura of Deon, but that luster will fade soon enough, and it has to be replaced by accomplishment.

.....if he is successful, he's gone after two years....if he is unsuccessful, he's gone after two years.....maybe a third year if his QB son still has eligibility left...

Nah. Prime is smart. Trained for three years at JSU for this. NIL and admin. supporting him will be no problem dominating like SC will. Meanwhile ND is staying in the Stone Age getting excited about 8-4.
Who’s excited?.

if you are a team with no chance at a CC or NC why pay any kid ? Play students, save$ and character.

If you’re willing to give up your future for a quick buck at CO you were never going to be good. Alabama or TAMU I totally understand. CO you don’t care.

What seems to fly under the radar is that he put a lot of his personal money to use to help out that program at Jackson State.
If true, good for him. I understood he was underwritten by some boosters and investors

I think he will recruit well and win there. I also think he will jump to a bigger school in a few years.

Anyone see the video for Deions new recruiting coordinators?

giphy.gif

He has 3 total years of coaching, all at the FCS level. As much as everyone is quaking in their boots about him, he hasn't been in this pool with the sharks swimming around big time Power 5 football. Plus, he's in Colorado. College football's best players are in the southeast, California, Texas. The only kids that want to go play in the cold are in Ohio and Michigan. Maybe he gets a few of those. ND is special, no matter what anyone says. It's still tough for ND to get top recruits because of weather. Colorado isn't ND. And Colorado doesn't have the money the big time schools have to give out in NIL's like these big time programs do. Hell, they don't have the money to pay him yet!

If he doesn't convince a ton of top players in the portal to go to CU, he's looking at an ugly losing season next year. And their visits will be in December and January...in Boulder. After all of this hype, fair or unfair, the expectation is they are going to win next year. CU is one of the worst teams in FBS. Recruiting at the HBCU level is NOT the same as the P5 level. Completely different. Landing 1 or 2 big time recruits at JSU was a good story, but its still only 1 or 2 guys.

Scott Frost took an FBS team from winless to undefeated in 2 seasons. He was the hottest, can't miss coach in college football. He went to one of the bluest, bluebloods in the sport. IN the same geographic area as Colorado. He and Nebraska bragged about how everyone better get them now because they were going to dominate soon.

Scott Frost is unemployed today because he was a total failure.

Maybe he succeeds, who knows? He very well might. But it's not this guarantee that people are making it out to be. Strip away all the hype, and it's still a coach that only has 3 years experience at an FCS school.

CU regularly pulled guys out of CA back in the day. Unlike Nebraska it is a suburb of a major metropolitan and very liberal city. And Pearl Street is legit.

He has 3 total years of coaching, all at the FCS level. As much as everyone is quaking in their boots about him, he hasn't been in this pool with the sharks swimming around big time Power 5 football. Plus, he's in Colorado. College football's best players are in the southeast, California, Texas. The only kids that want to go play in the cold are in Ohio and Michigan. Maybe he gets a few of those. ND is special, no matter what anyone says. It's still tough for ND to get top recruits because of weather. Colorado isn't ND. And Colorado doesn't have the money the big time schools have to give out in NIL's like these big time programs do. Hell, they don't have the money to pay him yet!

If he doesn't convince a ton of top players in the portal to go to CU, he's looking at an ugly losing season next year. And their visits will be in December and January...in Boulder. After all of this hype, fair or unfair, the expectation is they are going to win next year. CU is one of the worst teams in FBS. Recruiting at the HBCU level is NOT the same as the P5 level. Completely different. Landing 1 or 2 big time recruits at JSU was a good story, but its still only 1 or 2 guys.

Scott Frost took an FBS team from winless to undefeated in 2 seasons. He was the hottest, can't miss coach in college football. He went to one of the bluest, bluebloods in the sport. IN the same geographic area as Colorado. He and Nebraska bragged about how everyone better get them now because they were going to dominate soon.

Scott Frost is unemployed today because he was a total failure.

Maybe he succeeds, who knows? He very well might. But it's not this guarantee that people are making it out to be. Strip away all the hype, and it's still a coach that only has 3 years experience at an FCS school.
All good points. Prime needs to recruit, coach and run a major program … early signs he can recruit and yet to be seen on the other two. McCartney got CU to an elite level by taking borderline kids from California and let them run amuck in Boulder. It was eventually revealed back in the days when we got our news from Sports Illustrated once a week. A lot harder to hide in the Twitter age. He needs to out recruit Lincoln Riley, Chip Long and now Matt Rhule … so he’s going to have to show he can win games and develop players or his star won’t shine for very long. Personally I hope he succeeds it’s an interesting story and he’s a 90s legend.

Big Deion Sanders fan here (the player) so naturally I've been following his coaching career thus far.

One thing I've noticed from all of these videos that he's publishing (documentary/behind the scenes stuff) is that his crew/posse seem to all be yes-men. Deion doesn't seem to have anyone challenging him. Everybody around him seems to be walking around pandering to his every need; kissing his ass, reinforcing to him his greatness, almost like he's a cult leader or something.

He kind of reminds me of Floyd Money Mayweather with that unapologetic swagger/confidence that borders on arrogance and conceit. That whole personality is great for promoting fights (and apparently promoting college coaching careers).

It will be interesting to see how he reacts when things don't go right because it will happen. Will he be resilient and adjust or will the whole thing come crashing down? Truly great players rarely make great coaches.

Anyway, this is one of the reasons why I love following sports -- you can't find a better source of unscripted drama/entertainment.

Last edited:
Big Deion Sanders fan here (the player) so naturally I've been following his coaching career thus far.

One thing I've noticed from all of these videos that he's publishing (documentary/behind the scenes stuff) is that his crew/posse seem to all be yes-men. Deion doesn't seem to have anyone challenging him. Everybody around him seems to be walking around pandering to his every need; kissing his ass, reinforcing to him his greatness, almost like he's a cult leader or something.

He kind of reminds me of Floyd Money Mayweather with that unapologetic swagger/confidence that borders on arrogance and conceit. That whole personality is great for promoting fights (and apparently promoting college coaching careers).

It will be interesting to see how he reacts when things don't go right because it will happen. Will he be resilient and adjust or will the whole thing come crashing down? Truly great players rarely make great coaches.

Anyway, this is one of the reasons why I love following sports -- you can't find a better source of unscripted drama/entertainment.
And this is primarily what Deion brings and who knows, he might even become successful doing this. At Jackson State, even though he did get a couple of good players, the talent level was pretty even compared to the levels of talent the teams JSU played. It doesn’t really matter at what level one is coaching at, but if teams go 8-0 in conference playing similar level talent teams, it says something, especially when JSU had only won 21 games in the previous seven seasons.

If he gets good coordinators and trusts them while bringing in elite talent, he could possibly do something. The good news for him is that the bar is so low at Colorado right now as the program just completely fell apart.

Reactions: chaseball

I’m enjoying watching this unfold. Who knows if Deion can coach and keep a program to together … 100 young men in a college environment isn’t easy. He certainly can recruit.

Why do people want Dana White to step down but Prime was arrested for choking his wife and kept a TV deal and now is recruiting 15 year olds and parents think he’s cool?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT