ADVERTISEMENT

OT; best streaming service

stpat

Irish Insider
Nov 1, 2006
Hi all,

Asking for opinions and advice on the best streaming services to replace cable. I'm sick of paying $230 a month for a bunch of things I never watch.

If you don't mind giving me your thoughts, I'd appreciate any help you can give.

Thank you!

AT&T Now is pretty good. We get it for $70 a month including hbo, which then gives us access to HBO Max at no additional cost. It has a cloud dvr as well so you can record shows and games.

Reactions: stpat
IMO Netflix is still the best
Just finished Start Up & that show is great. Hoping there will be new seasons comimg soon of Ozarks, Narcos, Peaky Blinders, Stranger Things... I even enjoyed the Fear Street horror trilogy. Dug the 90's & 70 nostalgia. Even shows like the Bodyguard, Lupin, Money Heist, Umbrella Academy are good time wasters.
Their Docs have stepped up as well The Son of Sam one was really good. I had no idea there were multiple killers.

I also enjoy netflix but looking more at options that offer live TV for sports and local channels mainly

i pay $64.99 a month for hulu and really like it. most streaming services like hulu will let you stop the service at anytime and get back on whenever you want unlike services like directv where you have to sign a two or so year agreement. most streaming services like hulu will give a so many day free trial and so i would sign up for multiple streaming sites stpat to see which one fits what you want

Thank you to all who took the time to respond, I'll try out the free trials and see which works best for me.

I appreciate the input!

I keep it simple but you seem to want more.

I have had a smart Roku TV for 5 year. I have Netflix and Amazon Prime is really comparable now for me with their video inventory. Roku has lots of free channels. I probably pay $20 a month for all that content. If I ever need more, Sling seems the best service to add for $35 a month because of live sports and more.

I have seen people say good things about YouTube TV. My recollection is that it costs about $70 a month with a whole lot of content.

Roku paired with YouTube Tv….$70/month for 4 sets at home and 1 in my office. Thrilled to get rid of cable

Question :what do you guys do for internet without the cable co?

I use the same cable company. I pay for both internet and a limitless fee...costs me around 82 bucks. If a new company comes to my area and they are even five bucks cheaper...I'm changing!

Last edited:
I did not factor that in. I have a $95 a month unlimited landline and high speed internet package from centurylink (includes tax, licensing fees and wifi). I recently saw a much cheaper internet only package but I need landlines for emergencies if the internet goes down. I got the package 12 years ago. I called to hear what new options they had but got too much doublespeak and hung up. Basically it was $50 for comparable internet speed no landline.

I use the same cable company. I pay for both internet and a limitless fee...cost me around 82 bucks. If a new company comes to my area and they are even five bucks cheaper...I'm changing!
Thanks Alice !

I did not factor that in. I have a $95 a month unlimited landline and high speed internet package from centurylink (includes tax, licensing fees and wifi). I recently saw a much cheaper internet only package but I need landlines for emergencies if the internet goes down. I got the package 12 years ago. I called to hear what new options they had but got too much doublespeak and hung up. Basically it was $50 for comparable internet speed no landline.
I have the same combination of all three land line,
internet, and cable for right at $200 +/- a few dollars. we still need the landline , and if I drop the
cable, the cable company will raise the price on my internet and landline. The $200 also includes
4 TVs total . So When I total everything up, I just can’t seem to cut the cable !

I have the same combination of all three land line,
internet, and cable for right at $200 +/- a few dollars. we still need the landline , and if I drop the
cable, the cable company will raise the price on my internet and landline. The $200 also includes
4 TVs total . So When I total everything up, I just can’t seem to cut the cable !
Agree rgc7. I’ve had both microwave and satellite based internet services, and these were always problematic from either weather or too many users degrading service, etc…. Right now, it’s hard to beat cable for the Internet. It’s really amazing when you consider what we now pay for TV and phone and Internet, but of course We get a ton of service. Haven’t had a landline in over twelve years and rely on the fiber optic cable for tv and internet and wifi to ensure excellent cell phone availability. We pay around $200 for everything as well.

I use an IPTV / Android box....$130 for the box plus $15 per month...unlimited TV....every channel...movie, pay per view etc....Canadian dollars.....

Netflix and Amazon prime. Haven’t had cable in a decade. If you must have cable/espn, just get sling. With sling you can pick your channels and it costs a fraction of cable. I usually get sling in the fall and cancel after college football season.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT