ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon and Washington to Big 10 also

That will be impossible.

The members of the 2 Power Conferences won't play us.

Why should they ?
That doesn't make sense. The BIG 10 and its schools for years have had a hatred for ND, yet they still scheduled many games with ND over the years. Making the conference bigger isn't going to stop scheduling them. And SC got their reassurances that they can continue to play ND annually.

Reactions: BGI User 756
It will absolutely happen.

We keep our national schedule with USC and UCLA so we get a West Coast game every year .

We can still play Navy as an OOC opponent and keep our commitment there.

We renew long time rivalries with schools like Michigan State , Purdue and Michigan

Plus we will get over 100 million a year annually.

There is virtually no downside to this.
You do not understand marketing. There is a huge downside and one that is irreversible if we join a conference.

You do not understand marketing. There is a huge downside and one that is irreversible if we join a conference.

But you're almost there already with the ACC, and the uneasiness with that safe haven is palpable with the silence out of South Bend. It would seem that there aren't many comfortable paths left to walk, and I would think fans are starting to get that.

But you're almost there already with the ACC, and the uneasiness with that safe haven is palpable with the silence out of South Bend. It would seem that there aren't many comfortable paths left to walk, and I would think fans are starting to get that.
4 to 5 acc games a year.

There are paths

I'm not sure about that. The sport's moving towards super conferences - the Big Ten and the SEC. And recruits will care about that, too. Today's recruits don't remember 30, 40 years ago. They care about now. And now the major networks will market the Big Ten and SEC as the big super conferences, and the best recruits will want to go play in one of them.

Ok
I'm not sure about that. The sport's moving towards super conferences - the Big Ten and the SEC. And recruits will care about that, too. Today's recruits don't remember 30, 40 years ago. They care about now. And now the major networks will market the Big Ten and SEC as the big super conferences, and the best recruits will want to go play in one of them.
then why does everyone want ND? Not because ND is chump change. ND is unique. One of a kind. People hate on us. That is special. Hate so bad they want us in a conference And why? Because their team is not as special to every one. Just to them.

Reactions: Golson5
Ok

then why does everyone want ND? Not because ND is chump change. ND is unique. One of a kind. People hate on us. That is special. Hate so bad they want us in a conference And why? Because their team is not as special to every one. Just to them.
Of course they'd like ND to join. But that doesn't change the fact that the landscape is moving towards two super conferences, and you may need to be in one of them to have a seat at the national championship table, before too long.

Of course they'd like ND to join. But that doesn't change the fact that the landscape is moving towards two super conferences, and you may need to be in one of them to have a seat at the national championship table, before too long.
There are 3 things that will force ND to join a conference. I only see one potentially being an issue.

1- money. Not going to be a problem
2- opportunity to play for. Championship. Not going to be a problem.
3- scheduling quality opponents. This is where the conferences could be bullies and not allow non conference play. However. That will be illegal and against free trade, and monopolistic

so why should ND join a conference?

Reactions: BGI User 756
There are 3 things that will force ND to join a conference. I only see one potentially being an issue.

1- money. Not going to be a problem
2- opportunity to play for. Championship. Not going to be a problem.
3- scheduling quality opponents. This is where the conferences could be bullies and not allow non conference play. However. That will be illegal and against free trade, and monopolistic

so why should ND join a conference?
Right. And if the BIG 10 and all its hatred for ND, continued for many years to schedule BIG 10 teams against ND. There isn't any reason to think they'll stop scheduling ND now. SEC won't come up to ND in Oct, Nov but other than that that is a conference that appears to have no problem scheduling ND. I suppose if ND really had to find a home game against an SEC opponent, Missouri and Oklahoma wouldn't mind.

Here's a potential problem and one no doubt Swarbrick must consider. I've read this might be a play by the networks (ESPN/FOX) to create 2 super conferences and get control of cfb. Say 24 teams each. 4 pods in each conference. At season's end they do their own exclusive combined playoff. The eight pod winners play for the B1G/SEC combined title which the media will no doubt trumpet as the national championship. The playoff will be limited to SEC/B1G pod winners only. The other conference(s) are free to set up their own playoffs but the media (FOX/ESPN) undoubtedly will recognize the survivor of the B1G/SEC playoff as the national champion.

I'm not saying I like it but when you think about it there is some diabolical sense to the plan. ESPN/FOX essentially gain control of cfb. Huge payday for the schools. No legal issues because its just an agreement between two conferences. Its a beautiful plan if you like a money grab. Not so beautiful if you like cfb and its traditions.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT