ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon and Washington to Big 10 also

I don't know who this guy is. I had heard Oregon might follow but the LA Times guy said NO other Pac-12 teams will follow. I would certainly take his sources over mine.

Reactions: d1042
I don't know who this guy is. I had heard Oregon might follow but the LA Times guy said NO other Pac-12 teams will follow. I would certainly take his sources over mine.

Agreed

I think we do and we drag either Cal or Stanford along .

I also believe this will ultimately end up football only.

I think this is great for us. Let them beat up on each other like the SEC.
ND stay independent , set up marquee matchups. Keep a respectable schedule.
Waltz into the playoffs every year if you go unbeaten. Jmo.

Reactions: sluggo69
Trouble is ND won’t get bye even if unbeaten. Me joining big ten west and play one major cross over game with east

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
Trouble is ND won’t get bye even if unbeaten. Me joining big ten west and play one major cross over game with east
Has the playoff committee for one ever kept a P5 undefeated team out ? Have they ever let a 2 loss team in ?

What playoff?

Playoff contract has to be redone. You think SEC and Big Ten are going to make it easy for others to waltz in?

What if they keep it at 4 teams with 2 guaranteed slots for their champions? Or they set up their own invitational after raiding the ACC.

The playoff is entirely dependent on what the SEC and Big Ten are willing to give...

They have more of the power than ever, they can take their ball and go home. If they set up a SEC-Big Ten playoff, it'd have most of the marquee brands...

can always rely on you to be so wrong.

As long as ND can play a respectable schedule which is possible no matter what fantasy you claim, if ND goes unbeaten they will make the playoffs.

Probably.

If the champions of the Big Ten, SEC, B12 and PAC are all undefeated as well, a 12-0 ND could be left out. Very unlikely to happen though.

If the SEC and BIG 10 go the way of super conferences, can see them expanding the playoffs. If each has 16 teams, they can break that up into 4 divisions. Each division champ makes the playoff, that's 8 teams, then 4 remaining slots for the rest.

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
ah! the competitive spirit. The committee should place heavier emphasis on SOS within a conference ahead of a playoff designed schedule.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Who cares....

Seriously this stuff is such bullshit.

Mark my words you will see more independents in the future.

Conference conferece conference....

This will all be coming full circle.

Who cares....

Seriously this stuff is such bullshit.

Mark my words you will see more independents in the future.

Conference conferece conference....

This will all be coming full circle.
For those of us who are traditionalists and have a love of CFB. This is a huge deal and not in a good way.

I can't see how schools can afford to become independent. It's expensive and makes scheduling difficult. ND is one of very few schools who can afford to do this.

Folks are freaking out that ND will be forced to join a conference. I can only see that happening if 2 things happen:
1. Committee decides never to allow ND in the playoffs
2. ND is unable to put together a competitive schedule.

With that said, playoffs will inevitably expand and schools will always want to play ND. So I'm not worried.

Reactions: 88ND
This is laughable. If this is the case, then just transfer the whole Pac 12 into the Big 10 and have 4 divisions.

So the rest of the PAC 10 schools are left to fend for themselves ? What a bunch of greedy bastards.
That is the intention of conference realignment. The bigger schools leave their historical rivals against the smaller to associate with each other. The goal is to create an NFL of just the top programs. So the smaller schools can get table scraps for a buy game instead of a share of the conference revenue.

can always rely on you to be so wrong.

As long as ND can play a respectable schedule which is possible no matter what fantasy you claim, if ND goes unbeaten they will make the playoffs.
The SEC and B1G will have all the power to make whatever rule changes benefit their teams. The conferences will have autonomy and break away from the NCAA, the writing has been on the wall for a number of years now.

For those of us who are traditionalists and have a love of CFB. This is a huge deal and not in a good way.

I can't see how schools can afford to become independent. It's expensive and makes scheduling difficult. ND is one of very few schools who can afford to do this.

Folks are freaking out that ND will be forced to join a conference. I can only see that happening if 2 things happen:

With that said, playoffs will inevitably expand and schools will always want to play ND. So I'm not worried.
Agree. Plus if you go independent in football what do you do with the other sports? ND first found a home with the Big East then the ACC. can others do that? I would say no.

I'm not worried whatsoever on ND joining a conference.

What I see happening is technology will allow schools their very own avenue for TV.

That's what really drives this. Let's be honest on that the TV money shared by a conference is the carrot on the end of said stick.

Logistics however will also play a huge part in restructuring the conferences geographically.

Agree. Plus if you go independent in football what do you do with the other sports? ND first found a home with the Big East then the ACC. can others do that? I would say no.
Well, I have heard that the BIG is trying to get ND to join right now, but I haven't heard anything to suggest it will work out.

Well, I have heard that the BIG is trying to get ND to join right now, but I haven't heard anything to suggest it will work out.
Won't happen.

ND absolutely positively loves their independence

Won't happen.

I am sure you are right.

As to others joining, I have read several times that schools had to notify the Pac-12 no later than yesterday of an intent to leave the Pac at the end of the current rights agreement or pay large penalties. Haven't read the agreement but it has been referenced any times. If true it means that the LA Times guy is probably right about no more Pac-12 teams.

Guessing that the buzz about more teams to come is referring to UNC and another team from that area.

The SEC and B1G will have all the power to make whatever rule changes benefit their teams. The conferences will have autonomy and break away from the NCAA, the writing has been on the wall for a number of years now.
nah, you are panicking. but not surprising as so many are...

John Canzano

@johncanzanobft

Spoke to lawmakers in Washington and Oregon today. There's a movement afoot to emphasize that the public and taxpayers do not want public Pac-12 universities split from each other. The effort, if successful, would keep OSU-Oregon together and WSU-Washington together.

Won't happen.

It will absolutely happen.

We keep our national schedule with USC and UCLA so we get a West Coast game every year .

We can still play Navy as an OOC opponent and keep our commitment there.

We renew long time rivalries with schools like Michigan State , Purdue and Michigan

Plus we will get over 100 million a year annually.

There is virtually no downside to this.

We keep our national schedule with USC and UCLA so we get a West Coast game every year .

We renew long time rivalries with schools like Michigan State , Purdue and Michigan

There is a huge downside. ND loses its identity as an independent. If you're an ND fan, you would know how important that is.

Explain please...
Either you're a follower of the trendy talking heads like ESPN's gameday or the crew that's in love with the SEC like CBS and you just so happen to root for the Irish....

Or.....

You're a huge Big10 fan who also happens to "kind of like" ND

There is no option three because if you were a ND fan through and through you'd know just how much we cherish our independence as it extends far more than having cleats on the ground in California.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Please link these articles.
What articles? This is just a tweet from a beat writer, who had the early line on the SC move.

As I previously posted I have heard the BIG is after ND but nothing at all to suggest it will work.

ADVERTISEMENT