ADVERTISEMENT

Open the checkbook...as in immediately!!!

88ND

I've posted how many times?
Sep 9, 2013
I said it upon the hiring and I'm echoing it from the roof top...

Watching Golden last year coaching a linebacker group in Cincinnati I thought if he can do the same thing with our beloved on defense we'll be very tough to play against.

Although his schemes can cause trouble for the opposition, it's not really the x's and o's that are making him so valuable.
It's the raw emotion he's bringing out of his players.
They're playing with a ferocity we haven't seen in a very long time. Possibly since the Holtz era. Holtz could motivate a snail to pick up the pace.

In today's CFB world that promotes offense and scoring...even the great defenses give up a lot of points at times like a Saban or Venables at Clemson. Saban does it with scheme and fundamentals. Venables did it with crazed emotion. The guy looked like a psycho on the Clemson sideline.

If you can slow down the opposition in CFB today you're as valuable as the head coach. All teams get points today so if you can contain them it's a tremendous asset.

The other part is programs are throwing money around like monopoly money.
You can bet there are schools right now thinking how much will it take to steal Golden for the same position or even a promotion to HC.

A few posters here love to say ND has endless cash to do whatever they want. While that is true they just don't like spending any of it.

Now is not the time to be thrifty. They need to make Golden uninterested in any offers that are coming his way and you can bet big offers, are in fact, coming, his, way.
It really doesn't matter what that cost is at this point. ND loves keeping things hush so whatever the number needs to be it needs to happen immediately.

I'm all for continuity on defence, but I doubt any headhunters are targeting Golden yet.

If the coffers are opening this off-season it needs to be for the best transfer quarterback money can buy.

Watching Golden last year coaching a linebacker group in Cincinnati I thought if he can do the same thing with our beloved on defense we'll be very tough to play against.

Although his schemes can cause trouble for the opposition, it's not really the x's and o's that are making him so valuable.
They're playing with a ferocity we haven't seen in a very long time. Possibly since the Holtz era. Holtz could motivate a snail to pick up the pace.

In today's CFB world that promotes offense and scoring...even the great defenses give up a lot of points at times like a Saban or Venables at Clemson. Saban does it with scheme and fundamentals. Venables did it with crazed emotion. The guy looked like a psycho on the Clemson sideline.

If you can slow down the opposition in CFB today you're as valuable as the head coach. All teams get points today so if you can contain them it's a tremendous asset.

You can bet there are schools right now thinking how much will it take to steal Golden for the same position or even a promotion to HC.

A few posters here love to say ND has endless cash to do whatever they want. While that is true they just don't like spending any of it.

Now is not the time to be thrifty. They need to make Golden uninterested in any offers that are coming his way and you can bet big offers, are in fact, coming, his, way.
It really doesn't matter what that cost is at this point. ND loves keeping things hush so whatever the number needs to be it needs to happen immediately.
"You can bet there are schools right now thinking how much will it take to steal Golden for the same position or even a promotion to HC"

The only variable is -- what is the level of Golden's desire to be a head coach again?

With the way ND has been recruiting defensive personnel the last several cycles, and with Marcus Freeman at HC, I don't think it matters who D coordinator is, we'll be ok on that side of the ball. I get your broader point though, and with the way the D is coming on, I hope we don't have to roll the dice with another coordinator anytime soon.

We need to start recruiting top 100 skill players (CB, WR, RB, QB) while not dropping off/giving anything up in other areas of the recruiting.

I think that is the next step into becoming a dynasty again. And I think we have the recruiters/resources/culture/etc. on staff to make it happen.

Reactions: Telx1 and HRC08
"You can bet there are schools right now thinking how much will it take to steal Golden for the same position or even a promotion to HC"

The only variable is -- what is the level of Golden's desire to be a head coach again?
Or...dollar figure doing the very same thing elsewhere.

With players getting paid now and money tossed around like crazy would a school make him a defensive coordinator for more money than most HC's are getting.

I say again...

Every team scores in cfb today. If you get a coach to limit that...his value is priceless.

Reactions: Kelso86
With the way ND has been recruiting defensive personnel the last several cycles, and with Marcus Freeman at HC, I don't think it matters who D coordinator is, we'll be ok on that side of the ball. I get your broader point though, and with the way the D is coming on, I hope we don't have to roll the dice with another coordinator anytime soon.

We need to start recruiting top 100 skill players (CB, WR, RB, QB) while not dropping off/giving anything up in other areas of the recruiting.

I think that is the next step into becoming a dynasty again. And I think we have the recruiters/resources/culture/etc. on staff to make it happen.
I disagree on the Freeman part.

Just becausr Freeman calls himself a defensive coach doesn't mean he was good at it.

We weren't terrible last year on D but we were pretty bad.
In no way as good as this year.

Moreover just look at the courage Golden has the secondary playing with.
Previously under Freeman and prior Alohi was a big hitter...but others "might" makeva big hit but then off to the tent.

Our secondary today wants to kill everybody and they are NOT going into the god damn tent. They might come out a play but they WANT back in the game immediately!

There is an attitude and ferocity that Golden has the entire defense playing with not seen for 25-30 years.

We need to pay him. He’s too good. Pay him and start paying players like everyone else

I disagree on the Freeman part.

Just becausr Freeman calls himself a defensive coach doesn't mean he was good at it.

We weren't terrible last year on D but we were pretty bad.
In no way as good as this year.

Moreover just look at the courage Golden has the secondary playing with.
Previously under Freeman and prior Alohi was a big hitter...but others "might" makeva big hit but then off to the tent.

Our secondary today wants to kill everybody and they are NOT going into the god damn tent. They might come out a play but they WANT back in the game immediately!

There is an attitude and ferocity that Golden has the entire defense playing with not seen for 25-30 years.
Last years defense wasnt bad at all.

And this defense really hasnt shown that ferocity until this weekend

The 12 defense was much more physical and ferocious and Lea had a really good one too

Obviously you don’t follow ND recruiting. ND recruits many ,many are top hundred skill players . Pyne , although , few on this site realize , was offered by Alabama . Moore who just about was guaranteed to become next Irish QB is a 5* and eventually committed to Oregon .
The last RB verbal commit is the second ranked RB in the nation . Many of the WR verbal commits for 1923 are top ranked . The QB commit is a top 50 ranked recruit and being discussed as a possible 5* . Geez do your homework !

Obviously you don’t follow ND recruiting. ND recruits many ,many are top hundred skill players . Pyne , although , few on this site realize , was offered by Alabama . Moore who just about was guaranteed to become next Irish QB is a 5* and eventually committed to Oregon .
The last RB verbal commit is the second ranked RB in the nation . Many of the WR verbal commits for 1923 are top ranked . The QB commit is a top 50 ranked recruit and being discussed as a possible 5* . Geez do your homework !
You're drunk. Most of your post is full of half truths, innuendo, and is simply erroneous.

All of NDs depth/ top 100 recruits are at OL and TE. Not so much TE recently but that group is still stacked.

Chris Tyree was a top 100 and so was Buchner but the falloff after those guys is immense (in terms of prospect profile and upside at the offensive skill positions). There's no depth at those positions (QB, RB, WR) in terms of having young star-level prospects ready to provide elite depth/reps/production. It's all a bunch of mediocre "bleh" and it shows.

I don't put much weight at all on "offers". Everybody offers everybody in modern college football; the only thing that matters is whether the offer is actionable or not, and we have no way of knowing that for sure.

The defense has been way ahead of the offense in terms of recruiting the last several cycles (both in upside and raw depth) and it shows in the production on the field.

Last edited:

What you don’t understand is that you can’t create turmoil by altering the compensation schedule.

What about the Special Teams coach, how would he react to Golden getting a Golden offer ?

Why weren’t you so high on Golden after the Marshall and Stanford games ?

ND 14th in scoring DEF last year, 27th this year. At what rank does a team transition from "pretty bad" to average?

Wwweeellllll...

There is the eye test but let's stay with those little stats you hang your hat on...because you know Bama has a playmakimg rep on defense but also had it's games of giving up 30 plus or more.

Last year we finished 43rd in yards allowed at 360.5 ypg

This year we're at 328.6 ypg allowed

Last year we had many more sustained drives versus many three and outs of this year.

You can hang on those little stats all you want but I'd take this years version over last year's version in a heartbeat.

P.s.
I think Spencer Sanders wishes he could play ND's defense of last year every week. He'd win 2 Heisman trophies in one year.

We dominated Clemson because Foskey was in the backfield after 3 seconds all night long. Tap the brakes, I don't think that can all be credited to Golden. Although I do give Golden a bit of credit for making sausage out of a somewhat common secondary.

Wwweeellllll...

There is the eye test but let's stay with those little stats you hang your hat on...because you know Bama has a playmakimg rep on defense but also had it's games of giving up 30 plus or more.

Last year we finished 43rd in yards allowed at 360.5 ypg

This year we're at 328.6 ypg allowed

Last year we had many more sustained drives versus many three and outs of this year.

You can hang on those little stats all you want but I'd take this years version over last year's version in a heartbeat.

P.s.
I think Spencer Sanders wishes he could play ND's defense of last year every week. He'd win 2 Heisman trophies in one year.
Points wins games. Not yards

Points wins games. Not yards
Adding to a post count again?

Does having a good offense help the defense?
Yes or no?

I'll wait while you ask your gym teacher...

If your answer is no then your gym teacher has no clue...

If your answer is yes then please follow along.

Last year we were ranked 20th in offense @ 35.2 points per game

This year we are ranked 69th in offense
Yes...69th best offense
69th ranked offense @
29.1 points per game

Last years defense gave up 19.7 pts per game yet allowing more yardage than 2022 which is giving up 21.2 avg

This year's unit until the last two weeks haven't gotten much help from the offense. In fact even after the last two weeks our offense is ranked only 69th..

Last years SOS was much easier than this seasons.

If I'm playing a game give me this year's defense. Please and thank you

Adding to a post count again?

Does having a good offense help the defense?
Yes or no?

I'll wait while you ask your gym teacher...

If your answer is no then your gym teacher has no clue...

If your answer is yes then please follow along.

Last year we were ranked 20th in offense @ 35.2 points per game

This year we are ranked 69th in offense
Yes...69th best offense
69th ranked offense @
29.1 points per game

Last years defense gave up 19.7 pts per game yet allowing more yardage than 2022 which is giving up 21.2 avg

This year's unit until the last two weeks haven't gotten much help from the offense. In fact even after the last two weeks our offense is ranked only 69th..

Last years SOS was much easier than this seasons.

If I'm playing a game give me this year's defense. Please and thank you
Points is the only stat that matters.

I care about strength of schedule, not how the offense performs.

You can say this years defense is better, its debatable.

But your comment that last years defense was pretty bad was idiotic

ADVERTISEMENT