ADVERTISEMENT

One week out

ftnfan62

I've posted how many times?
Aug 1, 2010
Do we have a Scott Frost or do we have a Ryan Day?

Was looking at Day’s resume, similar path for both coaches. Interim and head. Time in both pro and as OC’s. Day was all O, where Marcus is more D. Although Marcus was a player and Day a coach in the pro’s.

Marcus at 0-1 will face a tough start to a career but BK was just over .500 his first season with an unknown QB.

At 34-4, Day has an unreal record. 2 of the losses in the CFP I think.

Strange Frost at UCF was so good and now so bad. Hoping we found a Day.

Reactions: Zorich 88

Was looking at Day’s resume, similar path for both coaches. Interim and head. Time in both pro and as OC’s. Day was all O, where Marcus is more D. Although Marcus was a player and Day a coach in the pro’s.

Marcus at 0-1 will face a tough start to a career but BK was just over .500 his first season with an unknown QB.

Day was setup as well as anyone in history could have been. To his credit, he has kept it going

I don’t follow B10 but they do seem to have some of the best talent. They also play in the B10. It’s a good thing they don’t have to play themselves

Reactions: Airzee23

If Marcus Freeman continues to recruit like he does, I am more than fine. The program is on solid ground.

Recruting is key. Saban never won a title at MSU. Wins them regularly in the SEC with talent most don’t get. His second string would be in the top 10.

Recruting hides bad coaching. But you have to have both. Marcus has the right coaches with Tommy and Al. He needs to get all those ND boosters to get NIL rolling and keep us in the top 1-5 in recruting. We will be fine. 2023 this team will put players out there at all spots we have not seen in some time.

Recruting is key. Saban never won a title at MSU. Wins them regularly in the SEC with talent most don’t get. His second string would be in the top 10.

Recruting hides bad coaching. But you have to have both. Marcus has the right coaches with Tommy and Al. He needs to get all those ND boosters to get NIL rolling and keep us in the top 1-5 in recruting. We will be fine. 2023 this team will put players out there at all spots we have not seen in some time.
"....get NIL rolling....." Notre Dame isn't going to offer NIL guaranteed cash to elite HS kids.

Not happening.

Reactions: Airzee23
I never say never. Learned that long ago. Like Tony Rice to ND or have a dude dominate womens swimming. I’m pretty sure ND enjoys a Championship caliber team.

Schools don't pay kids.
You can word this any way you choose. If you believe Notre Dame or anyone associated with Notre Dame is going to operate NIL like T$$$$M does, or Tennessee does, you're misguided.

And MF will be taking over a national top-five program who couldn't be soaring any higher. Hell that's the only reason they were willing take a splurge on MF. Because it's not a rebuild situation. Whereas BK took over a legit dumpster fire from Charlie Weis.

And that's how you know that things are going to go well. When the fans, in nervous anticipation that we're maybe going to get our ass beat, make conveniently, and clumsily false and deceitful comparisons between the respective challenges BK faced and MF faced.

If that's any sort of an omen then MF is going to get his ass beaten on a weekly basis. Given how often the narrative has been laughably warped and perverted by ND fans, of course to continuously keep bashing BK, and to try make MF look better in comparison all in one swoop. And you definitely doth protest too much. Nobody else in the CFB world thinks of BK as anything other than one of the best coaches in the game....

But none of that matters now. You're either going to win or you're not. There'll be time later for managing the narrative if we get destroyed....

I thought highly of BK as a coach. His record speaks for itself. But end the end, he could have retired at ND but he cut and ran. So as much as I used to want ND to fight evacuating wins, I can now say that Knute still holds the record and BK will never be anything more than any other ND coach we never talk about as he never won a title and he has less wins than Knute and Lou.

I thought highly of BK as a coach. His record speaks for itself. But end the end, he could have retired at ND but he cut and ran. So as much as I used to want ND to fight evacuating wins, I can now say that Knute still holds the record and BK will never be anything more than any other ND coach we never talk about as he never won a title and he has less wins than Knute and Lou.
"...cut and ran..?"

Brian Kelly was offered generational money and took the deal.

I never say never. Learned that long ago. Like Tony Rice to ND or have a dude dominate womens swimming. I’m pretty sure ND enjoys a Championship caliber team.
ND enjoys money. They know football has no shot of success but it still generates big $$$$ and chatter. That’s good enough for Jack and co. I hate Kelly but he left because ND plays for third place and doesn’t care anymore. ND is a more powerful Northwestern.

ND enjoys money. They know football has no shot of success but it still generates big $$$$ and chatter. That’s good enough for Jack and co. I hate Kelly but he left because ND plays for third place and doesn’t care anymore. ND is a more powerful Northwestern.
Nonsense

Saban was on his way to winning titles at Michigan State. By his third year at MSU they destroyed ND in back to back seasons, despite having much lower ranked recruits than Bob Davie's teams. If you can coach, the recruiting takes care of itself. And if you can't, recruiting doesn't mean that much (Weis years).

Last night Vanderbilt looked like a completely different program in Clark Lea's second year. Their defense was disciplined and flying around the ball, making every tackle. That's coaching - and his recruits haven't started seeing playing time yet.

Hopefully Freeman's team play with fire but are just as disciplined and fundamentally sound as Kelly's teams. If so, THEN the recruiting could eventually put them over the top.

Saban was on his way to winning titles at Michigan State. By his third year at MSU they destroyed ND in back to back seasons, despite having much lower ranked recruits than Bob Davie's teams. If you can coach, the recruiting takes care of itself. And if you can't, recruiting doesn't mean that much (Weis years).

Last night Vanderbilt looked like a completely different program in Clark Lea's second year. Their defense was disciplined and flying around the ball, making every tackle. That's coaching - and his recruits haven't started seeing playing time yet.

Hopefully Freeman's team play with fire but are just as disciplined and fundamentally sound as Kelly's teams. If so, THEN the recruiting could eventually put them over the top.
So you're saying we should have hired Clark Lea instead of MF? That's a fascinating thought experiment. Or whatever, just something to ponder. Clark Lea is NOT charismatic, at least in the sense that he's quiet and self-effacing, pretty much with this demeanor that he's deep in thought about something football-related at all times. Whereas MF is a rock star, who's facial mien comes off as if he's almost never thinking about football. So they contrast each other in that sense....

And they're both about the same age, Clark Lea a few years older, and I think with pretty similar career arcs. And I just thought the defense was in such good, safe, very competent hands with CL, and not quite as much with MF. Although still good with MF, most definitely, but if I had to pick a DC I would take Clark Lea over MF, and for me at least it would be an easy decision. With the only hesitation being what I might lose not having MF around as a recruiter.

So let's say CL was still the DC, and we never hired MF to begin with, and BK left to coach LSU, would we have promoted CL to ND football coach? Probably not, is what I would say, bordering on definitely not. And that would be fine, and to be expected. But when it came to MF, hell no, they couldn't hire him fast enough, and let any lack of experience or brooding contemplativeness be damned...

In any case, that's nice to see that CL is picking things up at Vandy, that has got to be the toughest job in the country to win at at bar none. Though that certainly sucks for my hometown Bows. Because that is a serious beatdown to be on the receiving end from lowly Vanderbilt. I bet you UH was probably thinking they could get the win! Not this time, that's like something you'd expect to see out of Bama...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT