ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State QB's....

So wait. He goes and sits the bench as a true frosh and doesn't complain. Competes in the spring with Haskins, who had limited experience advantage over him as Barrett was a 3 year starter, loses and still stays on the team as the back-up with no promise Haskins would have declared. Haskins declares, Urban Meyer, who recruited him, leaves and Day goes and recruits Fields to follow up for Haskins within days of taking over the job. (1) This shows that Day didn't want Martell and (2) He competed twice and the coach was still looking for other answers why cant he go somewhere that wants him to be their starter?

The kid is a jerk, that much is obvious from his social medial and the documentary on him but the idea that because a kid transfers it means that he is afraid of competition is lazy and weak. Day didn't want him.
Day didn't want him because he took the opportunity to go after a kid who was the #2 rated QB in his class and suddenly became available ? that's quite a reach. Day was doing his job, trying to improve his team.

This is why in my opinion players should have to wait before transferring. A no wait transfer year turns every non power conference team into a farm system for the power teams. Div I sports will turn into a free for a all that makes the pursuit of graduate transfers look like peanuts. Even the second echelon Power programs will have the uncertainty of not knowing if their diamond in the rough that they identified and developed pursues glittering prizes elsewhere.

Planning and projecting for the 2nd level teams will become impossible because every star you were depending on could bolt to another team. This is more of an issue with football as generally anyone who is professional ready in basketball can just declare. I would insist that the three year rule for the NFL go away. The career of a football player is short enough leaving as a frosh if you think you are ready adds another contract to your career.

I also see huge poaching situations even within the power conferences. Imagine due to circumstances Alabama's star QB suffers a terrible injury. You do not have any viable backup because they have all transferred for playing time. But Auburn has a star QB ready for a breakout year. Make him an offer at the last second because you have an open spot. Now Auburn is screwed. At the last second they entice a pretty good QB at Missouri. Now Missouri is out of luck. So they reach out and poach a pretty good QB at Bowling Green.

Is that what we want college football to be? Every year at every position there is no certainty for any team that their roster might be turned upside down. The players who you are rooting for last year are gone and replaced by strangers.

Last edited:
This is why in my opinion players should have to wait before transferring. A no wait transfer year turns every non power conference team into a farm system for the power teams. Div I sports will turn into a free for a all that makes the pursuit of graduate transfers look like peanuts. Even the second echelon Power programs will have the uncertainty of not knowing if their diamond in the rough that they identified and developed pursues glittering prizes elsewhere.

Planning and projecting for the 2nd level teams will become impossible because every star you were depending on could bolt to another team. This is more of an issue with football as generally anyone who is professional ready can just declare. I would insist that the three year rule for the NFL go away. The career of a football player is short enough leaving as a frosh if you think you are ready adds another contract to your career.

I also see huge poaching situations even within the power conferences. Imagine due to circumstances Alabama's star QB suffers a terrible injury. You do not have any viable backup because they have all transferred for playing time. But Auburn has a star QB ready for a breakout year. Make him an offer at the last second because you have an open spot. Now Auburn is screwed. At the last second they entice a pretty good QB at Missouri. Now Missouri is out of luck. So they reach out and poach a pretty good QB at Bowling Green.

Is that what we want college football to be? Every year at every position there is no certainty for any team that their roster might be turned upside down. The players who you are rooting for last year are gone and replaced by strangers.
players cannot be contacted unless they first enter the transfer portal. it wouldn't be open season.

Reactions: Kelso86

Planning and projecting for the 2nd level teams will become impossible because every star you were depending on could bolt to another team. This is more of an issue with football as generally anyone who is professional ready can just declare. I would insist that the three year rule for the NFL go away. The career of a football player is short enough leaving as a frosh if you think you are ready adds another contract to your career.

"Alabama's star QB suffers a terrible injury. You do not have any viable backup because they have all transferred for playing time. But Auburn has a star QB ready for a breakout year. Make him an offer at the last second because you have an open spot. Now Auburn is screwed. At the last second they entice a pretty good QB at Missouri. Now Missouri is out of luck. So they reach out and poach a pretty good QB at Bowling Green."

You liken this to the NFL and a trading system... as echo stated -- players CANNOT be contacted unless they enter the transfer portal...and this is predominantly done at season's end...NOT during the season, or even fall camp.

"Alabama's star QB suffers a terrible injury. You do not have any viable backup because they have all transferred for playing time. But Auburn has a star QB ready for a breakout year. Make him an offer at the last second because you have an open spot. Now Auburn is screwed. At the last second they entice a pretty good QB at Missouri. Now Missouri is out of luck. So they reach out and poach a pretty good QB at Bowling Green."

You liken this to the NFL and a trading system... as echo stated -- players CANNOT be contacted unless they enter the transfer portal...and this is predominantly done at season's end...NOT during the season, or even fall camp.
Yep and the vast majority of the players in the transfer portal this year are below the division 1 level.

And what prevents someone from contacting under the table?

I agree that that no player should have to sit out. The system in place is a complete joke. No consistency when it comes to granting/denying waivers.
So in essence, you are for creating a free agency. I think it's ludicrous that you go to a college for the coach when everybody knows that's the business of college football. Pitt coaches get fired, coordinators and assistants quit or get fired or move on for more pay. You should go to the college because that's where you want to go and that's where you want to play. If you allow a free agency system where anyone can transfer if their position coach leaves, then you cannot rely on Fielding a team for one year to the next. I do agree that the NCAA has to be consistent and how they apply the rules.

Nothing, schools run the risk of violations and penalties then. No different than violating other recruiting rules.
Oh scary. Violating recruiting rules. That definitely does not happen now and the NCAA is definitely coming down hard on teams. Regardless, it is easy as you just do the same thing that is happening in NCAA basketball for NBA draft evaluation. Whether you are really interested or not you just throw yourself in the pool as it costs nothing. If you get no bites you stay at your school.

So in essence, you are for creating a free agency. I think it's ludicrous that you go to a college for the coach when everybody knows that's the business of college football. Pitt coaches get fired, coordinators and assistants quit or get fired or move on for more pay. You should go to the college because that's where you want to go and that's where you want to play. If you allow a free agency system where anyone can transfer if their position coach leaves, then you cannot rely on Fielding a team for one year to the next. I do agree that the NCAA has to be consistent and how they apply the rules.
In essence, I am calling for an over haul of the whole system. Again, there is no consistency in the current system. I think it's ludicrous that student athletes cannot transfer to any school he chooses. Why should he be penalized for deciding that his current school is not for him?

ADVERTISEMENT