ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State QB's....

So....anyone want to place a bet that Fields will somehow be granted a hardship waiver and be eligible to play next year?

NCAA is a joke.

He will for sure be eligible to play next year especially because they are using racism as the reason why. If this was the actual reason he was transfering, then I would completely agree.

Reactions: LH24ND
So....anyone want to place a bet that Fields will somehow be granted a hardship waiver and be eligible to play next year?

NCAA is a joke.

He should. Anarchy is the rule dujour.

Also, (Probably an unpopular opinion) if Tate Martell does transfer I would take him at ND. Give us depth and more competition at QB.

Also, (Probably an unpopular opinion) if Tate Martell does transfer I would take him at ND. Give us depth and more competition at QB.

ND is well stocked at QB, doubt he would consider, look for him to land in Coral Gables

Reactions: VTND
I don't think any player should have to sit out. It's ok for coaches to change jobs and they don't have to sit.

I’m not so sure that we should equate coaches with players.

I think stability is a desired goal and that musical chairs would create chaos in college football.

I’m in favor of a one year buffer period with latitude for special cases

Reactions: Kelso86
I think a players should be able to transfer, play and should not have to sit out. I also think coaches should be able have short list of schools that the player cannot transfer to. For example not being able to go in conference.

I think if you are offered and accept a guaranteed four year scholarship sitting out one year is not too harsh of a requirement. You have in affect taken that opportunity from someone else. I think with the four game rule currently in place this especially makes sense. Having free agent chaos every year is not what it should be about.

I think if you are offered and accept a guaranteed four year scholarship sitting out one year is not too harsh of a requirement. You have in affect taken that opportunity from someone else. I think with the four game rule currently in place this especially makes sense. Having free agent chaos every year is not what it should be about.
The system as is is grossly unfair to the athlete. i'm on their side.

Reactions: jcswoopnh

Most places no longer offer 4 year scholarships. One year that is renewable if coach is happy enough. Another disadvantage to player. The "1 year sit" policy does keep players from excessive recruitment attention to encourage transfersn.

Jurkovec: hello
Dabo: hello Phil, Dabo Swinney here
Jurkovec: yes?
Dabo: we just finished winning our 3rd championship in a row and Trevor has decided to enter the nfl draft. You've really established yourself as a tremendous qb. We'll need to replace Trevor and we think you would really excel in our system. What do you say?
Jurkovec: didn't you have a lot of your o line enter the draft?
Dabo: yeah but we got Wisconsin's entire offensive line to transfer as well. What do you think?

Reactions: TXNDFan88 and 88ND
I agree that that no player should have to sit out. The system in place is a complete joke. No consistency when it comes to granting/denying waivers.
That would be a disaster for college football. Every kid who's not happy with his place on the depth chart would be thinking about transferring. And there would be "people" in all those kids ears talking about other schools where the opportunity might be better. Managing your roster would be next to impossible, and recruiting would be a mess, with you signing a class without having any idea how many of your current kids would still be there on January 15th.

That would be a disaster for college football. Every kid who's not happy with his place on the depth chart would be thinking about transferring. And there would be "people" in all those kids ears talking about other schools where the opportunity might be better. Managing your roster would be next to impossible, and recruiting would be a mess, with you signing a class without having any idea how many of your current kids would still be there on January 15th.

Can't agree with you on that Walsh any kid could transefer to a lower division program and play right away, so why isn't that happening now. Some of these kids are only in school for football so if you're not playing and your aspirations are to be a professional football player, you should leave bottom line. We've seen time and time again where a new coach will come in and rescind a players scholie which they should never be allowed to do, unless it's for something academic or criminal.

Can't agree with you on that Walsh any kid could transefer to a lower division program and play right away, so why isn't that happening now. Some of these kids are only in school for football so if you're not playing and your aspirations are to be a professional football player, you should leave bottom line. We've seen time and time again where a new coach will come in and rescind a players scholie which they should never be allowed to do, unless it's for something academic or criminal.
You lose visibility if you transfer to a lower division.

Justin Fields (racial slur ?), Jessica Shepard (?), Eddie Vanderdoes (sick grandmother), Alohi Gilman (denied by ncaa), where does it end? No rhyme or reason to the NCAA decision making.

Justin Fields (racial slur ?), Jessica Shepard (?), Eddie Vanderdoes (sick grandmother), Alohi Gilman (denied by ncaa), where does it end? No rhyme or reason to the NCAA decision making.

I like that fit
Changing my guess to Miami, FL. Dan Enos is their new OC now. Enos was Hurts QB coach last year at Bama. He wanted to learn from Enos in 2018- a huge reason he stayed.

Last edited:
Jurkovec: hello
Dabo: hello Phil, Dabo Swinney here
Jurkovec: yes?
Dabo: we just finished winning our 3rd championship in a row and Trevor has decided to enter the nfl draft. You've really established yourself as a tremendous qb. We'll need to replace Trevor and we think you would really excel in our system. What do you say?
Jurkovec: didn't you have a lot of your o line enter the draft?
Dabo: yeah but we got Wisconsin's entire offensive line to transfer as well. What do you think?
but thats completely against the rules until a player enters the transfer portal.

but thats completely against the rules until a player enters the transfer portal.
Also there are checks in the system that prevent that from happening. The "risk" that this would happen is greatly exaggerated. Replacing multiple scholarships with upper classmen would come at the cost of younger classes. Teams look to build from within. If a team is replacing their graduates with transfers that hurts their recruiting.

another Gunner, not interested in competing.
What is the kid supposed to do when his new coach, who was his position coach for 2 years that he spent at the school competing with top QBs, told him that he didn't think he was good enough and went and recruited a top flight QB as a transfer?

What is the kid supposed to do when his new coach, who was his position coach for 2 years that he spent at the school competing with top QBs, told him that he didn't think he was good enough and went and recruited a top flight QB as a transfer?
Ryan Day never told him he wasn't good enough. Bringing in quality players is the coaches job. Martell decided he didn't want to compete with Fields apparently or he realized that his skill set was not in line with the new QB coach and his offensive philosophy.

Ryan Day never told him he wasn't good enough. Bringing in quality players is the coaches job. Martell decided he didn't want to compete with Fields apparently or he realized that his skill set was not in line with the new QB coach and his offensive philosophy.
Dude competes with Barrett and Haskins for two years and all of a sudden doesn't want to compete?

Dude competes with Barrett and Haskins for two years and all of a sudden doesn't want to compete?
you really think he competed with those two as a true freshman ? Haskins is leaving and he bails on his first real opportunity to compete for the starting job. Hell there's no guarantee Fields gets his waiver.

you really think he competed with those two as a true freshman ? Haskins is leaving and he bails on his first real opportunity to compete for the starting job. Hell there's no guarantee Fields gets his waiver.
So wait. He goes and sits the bench as a true frosh and doesn't complain. Competes in the spring with Haskins, who had limited experience advantage over him as Barrett was a 3 year starter, loses and still stays on the team as the back-up with no promise Haskins would have declared. Haskins declares, Urban Meyer, who recruited him, leaves and Day goes and recruits Fields to follow up for Haskins within days of taking over the job. (1) This shows that Day didn't want Martell and (2) He competed twice and the coach was still looking for other answers why cant he go somewhere that wants him to be their starter?

The kid is a jerk, that much is obvious from his social medial and the documentary on him but the idea that because a kid transfers it means that he is afraid of competition is lazy and weak. Day didn't want him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT