ADVERTISEMENT

Offense recruiting...Buhler....Buhler!?

irish4life9999

Rockne's Water Boy
Sep 12, 2020
Time for the OC staff to win a couple battles. They have whiffed on pretty much all their first picks.

Time for the OC staff to win a couple battles. They have whiffed on pretty much all their first picks.
I disagree with their decision but Angeli was their first offer at QB and they got him.

They got the 2 tight ends they wanted and dropped a 3rd to get the ones they wanted.

Tanona and Chan were top guys for them.

And they love Price.

They missed on a 2nd RB. They missed on a few OL. And wr is a wait and see.

But the oplurtunity is still there to finish strong.

Meriweathet, Williams, Scrauth, Wagner is still possible. Gotta close the deal

I disagree with their decision but Angeli was their first offer at QB and they got him.

They got the 2 tight ends they wanted and dropped a 3rd to get the ones they wanted.

Tanona and Chan were top guys for them.

And they love Price.

They missed on a 2nd RB. They missed on a few OL. And wr is a wait and see.

But the oplurtunity is still there to finish strong.

Meriweathet, Williams, Scrauth, Wagner is still possible. Gotta close the deal
Just because it’s a first offer doesn’t mean first on their board. No way they had price over singleton. No way they had Angeli over a few others.

But I agree, offensive recruiting isn’t bad. It just looks that way compared to the D recruiting at the moment.

Reactions: IrishMike409
There are some big time offensive names still out there, Williams and Merriweather are real possibilities to commit. Rice hadn’t scratched ND off the list and a couple of offensive linemen have decisions to make. The jury is still out on offensive recruiting yet.

Just because it’s a first offer doesn’t mean first on their board. No way they had price over singleton. No way they had Angeli over a few others.

But I agree, offensive recruiting isn’t bad. It just looks that way compared to the D recruiting at the moment.
“At the moment” is the operative phrase.

Unless mom wants him near home, I still think Rice is a viable option. He has to value all the success ND has had with putting ND O-linemen in higher draft positions.

We need an experienced OC that is known as a good recruiter. That would change things drastically.
I think Rees is working hard but he's not got a lot of resume under his belt. I'm sure other coaches recruting use that to their advantage. I'm sure Rees will be a fine OC in a few years and will be able to get the top recruits then. That's what happens when you get a OC at a top football school with zero experience. I don't think ND is the place to cut your coaching chops.

Reactions: scubastevefl
Everybody bashes Rees, year one the offensive numbers were solid with one glaring exception.

total offense 26th
scoring offense 30th
turnover lost 43rd
third down conversions 8th
red zone offense 102nd!!!!!

Reactions: irish4life9999
Who said he was? Kelly has his legacy bet on Rees. But it's going to take a couple few years to really get some experience. This year will be a big one for Rees.
Bet his legacy? No way. The legacy is intact, and can only get better from here.

Worst case scenario: BK is rembered as the guy who dug Notre Dame out of the darkest football hole it was ever in, and returned the program to national relevance. He advanced ND to the modern age of CFB. Top 5 coach in ND history.....

Reactions: Pennick4
Bet his legacy? No way. The legacy is intact, and can only get better from here.

Worst case scenario: BK is rembered as the guy who dug Notre Dame out of the darkest football hole it was ever in, and returned the program to national relevance. He advanced ND to the modern age of CFB. Top 5 coach in ND history.....
Be realistic. He's the best of the non championship winning coaches in ND history. Until he wins one, he's always behind those.

I didn't say price over Singleton but he was a top priority for the staff.

Unfortunately of the qbs that we offered, they probably had Angeli one.

He's doing extremely well. ND is fortunate to have him. Outstanding reputation within the business.
Well proof is in the pudding echo. I guess you have been taking your esp pills and consulting your crystal ball. I'm not that impressed so far. Recruiting is definitely trending down. We will know soon. I'm sure you'll be watching every game with your Tommy doll on your lap lol.

I agree on a lot of your points. But if he does not get an NC he will not be on par with any of the top five coaches in ND history. Without a NC he will be a footnote in the coaching history.

Well proof is in the pudding echo. I guess you have been taking your esp pills and consulting your crystal ball. I'm not that impressed so far. Recruiting is definitely trending down. We will know soon. I'm sure you'll be watching every game with your Tommy doll on your lap lol.
I just know what I've been told by many people in the business. You're certainly entitled to your short sighted, uneducated opinion. I'll go with the opinion of folks with a long history in the business.

Everybody bashes Rees, year one the offensive numbers were solid with one glaring exception.

total offense 26th
scoring offense 30th
turnover lost 43rd
It doesn’t really matter if he can’t recruit like Ohio State.

Fair response. I’m optimistic we can win a Title before BK moves on.
Only if Rees recruits better. It’s pretty simple.

Maybe if Rees can convince Ewers to leave Ohio State or convince Arch Manning that he is the guy to develop him o to his uncles level and then land 3 to 4 5 star offensive skill players every year for the next 4 years. At the same time develop a future first round level draft pick at QB like a Clemson, Bama, and Ohio State. Maybe then we can win a title. Even then, we’d have to fight like hell to earn it. I’m not a big believer Rees is having success doing that. The evidence is pretty clear.

While Freeman is hauling in the kids we need, Rees is having the recruiting success of a middle of the road Big 10 team. He’s be a great Iowa or MSU hire. If he turned those programs offense elite, then got a lot of press when ND hired him, that would be different. Rees is too young and inexperienced to win the hearts and minds of 5 star quarterbacks and future all pro wide receivers. Criticizing the guy doesn’t mean he’s not a good coach. But there’s a difference between good and elite. This is ND. Where is the Mike Sanford or Chip Long hires? We need exciting coaches with sexy resumes. That’s the game. You play it or you lose. If ND wants a title, they need to fork the same $2 million over at OC as they did on defense and bring in the sexy hire. Rees will prevent ND from that title. Watch. Nuff said.

Last edited:

total offense 26th
scoring offense 30th
turnover lost 43rd
accurate QB with legs, with two huge wrs and two really good TEs. Big issue

I think ND is going to finish strong on offense in 2022.
I hope. If they get the #1 overall QB, a dozen 4 star skill players and a few 5 star Mike Floyd’s, and then do that for 3 consecutive years, we’d be about equal to Bama and OSU. Anything else is less than it’ll take to win it. If the people on this board are fine with mediocrity then by all means, support Rees. He’s a good coach. We can probably win 9 games with him most years.

A loss to OSU to start that season wouldn’t help our chances. A lot of ND fans make the mistake of thinking that demanding better makes you negative. Ask Saban. I bet he’d say that’s a winning mindset. Do you think Dabo, Day, or Saban want TR to lead their offenses? Sometimes you have to make a hard choice and part with a good employee for an even better one. It happens on the field. Great QBs get replaced for elite ones w/out a second thought. It’s not personal, it’s business. One of the biggest traps in the success of capitalism is the fear of demanding more at the expense of someone’s feelings or friendship. You must demand the best to be the best. It’s not about one man, it’s about every kid on that team that wants a title and every fan in America that has been waiting since the 80’s. BK will eventually have to decide between his legacy and TR’s feelings. Sorry.

Last edited:
I just know what I've been told by many people in the business. You're certainly entitled to your short sighted, uneducated opinion. I'll go with the opinion of folks with a long history in the business.
I'm not saying Rees won't be a good coach....someday. But the facts are he started at ND with zero experience and it's a gamble. I know you are constantly here bragging about everyone you know. But not you, nor the rest of your narcissistic, braggadocious, Rees bandwagon fans will know how Rees will end up in coaching. Coaching is not all just Xs and Os.

Last edited:
Who said he was? Kelly has his legacy bet on Rees. But it's going to take a couple few years to really get some experience. This year will be a big one for Rees.
Anyone with eyes and a brain. As others said Kelly's legacy in intact. Rees is a very bright young coach. Glad he is at ND.

I'm not saying Rees won't be a good coach....someday. But the facts are he started at ND with zero experience and it's a gamble. I know you are constantly here bragging about everyone you know. But not you, nor the rest of your narcissistic, braggadocious, Rees bandwagon fans will know how Rees will end up in coaching. Coaching is not all just Xs and Os.
So far so good on Rees as OC.

We'll see what year 2 brings

Maybe if Rees can convince Ewers to leave Ohio State or convince Arch Manning that he is the guy to develop him o to his uncles level and then land 3 to 4 5 star offensive skill players every year for the next 4 years. At the same time develop a future first round level draft pick at QB like a Clemson, Bama, and Ohio State. Maybe then we can win a title. Even then, we’d have to fight like hell to earn it. I’m not a big believer Rees is having success doing that. The evidence is pretty clear.

While Freeman is hauling in the kids we need, Rees is having the recruiting success of a middle of the road Big 10 team. He’s be a great Iowa or MSU hire. If he turned those programs offense elite, then got a lot of press when ND hired him, that would be different. Rees is too young and inexperienced to win the hearts and minds of 5 star quarterbacks and future all pro wide receivers. Criticizing the guy doesn’t mean he’s not a good coach. But there’s a difference between good and elite. This is ND. Where is the Mike Sanford or Chip Long hires? We need exciting coaches with sexy resumes. That’s the game. You play it or you lose. If ND wants a title, they need to fork the same $2 million over at OC as they did on defense and bring in the sexy hire. Rees will prevent ND from that title. Watch. Nuff said.
Mike Sanford is straight trash. What are you talking about. Do you know football lol. Yikes

So far so good on Rees as OC.

We'll see what year 2 brings
What is so gois I the last yesr that makes you so warm and fuzzy? The recruting? The dynamic offensive schemes we've seen? The great development at qb? The way Phil Jurkovec was developed and treated? Sorry I'm not impressed at all so far. Can he turn it around? Maybe.

I know the Homer's here are quick to dismiss you but there is ait of merit in what you say. Kids want to go where the proven coach can say hey this is m resume. These are the players I've developed and put in the NFL. This is whatmy offenses look like and what they have done. Rees has one example Ian Book and an offense in his first year that is statistically worse than any of Chip Long's so far. Did we not expect this leaning curve from an OC with Zero experience?

Mike Sanford is straight trash. What are you talking about. Do you know football lol. Yikes
That wasn’t the point at all. The premise of my message was that he was a sexy hire at the time. But go ahead and read things in your own way.

What is so gois I the last yesr that makes you so warm and fuzzy? The recruting? The dynamic offensive schemes we've seen? The great development at qb? The way Phil Jurkovec was developed and treated? Sorry I'm not impressed at all so far. Can he turn it around? Maybe.
We had an equal offense to your boy Chip Long with less weapons and no spring ball.

Recruiting has been as good or better than Chips first 2 years. And we still have time to add big time players.

He designed the offense to succeed with the talent we had and lack of spring ball. No problem there from me.

Getting what he got out of Book with Books talent was pretty darn impressive.

The Phil situation is his poor mark so far. Other than that, so far so good

I know the Homer's here are quick to dismiss you but there is ait of merit in what you say. Kids want to go where the proven coach can say hey this is m resume. These are the players I've developed and put in the NFL. This is whatmy offenses look like and what they have done. Rees has one example Ian Book and an offense in his first year that is statistically worse than any of Chip Long's so far. Did we not expect this leaning curve from an OC with Zero experience?
Chip in 18 - 31.4 ppg
Rees in 20 - 33.4

Huh??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT