ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dames Patterson and Bryce Young showed all the opt outs how it should be done.

BodiTheGreat

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 18, 2018
When Foskey and Mayer came on tv to the sideline reporter during the game I changed the chanell until they were done.
I don't think they should have been taking airtime away from their xteammates.
Bryce Young is obviously upping his draft status and his status among Alabama fans.
Same thing with Kyron Williams and Kyle Hamilton last year. Especially Kyron who could have upped his drfat status on a National stage.

**** Maybe we should start offering players incentives to play from the NIL collective?

*** I believe TEAM CAPTAINS, even the ones highly ranked ones should at least suit up for their teams even if they dont play. And maybe they can see the need for their team to play a down or two.

*** I know the argument for risking injury but more injuries occur in practice noncontact plays then in games. They could get injured practicing for the combine and lose draft status.

Your thoughts?

Don’t blame foskey/Mayer but tons of props for Bama guys— not just Anderson/ young but several other high draft picks played. interviewing guys no longer playing with the team is a little weird but not crazy given Mayer/foskey contributions over last few years.

When Foskey and Mayer came on tv to the sideline reporter during the game I changed the chanell until they were done.
Bryce Young is obviously upping his draft status and his status among Alabama fans.
Same thing with Kyron Williams and Kyle Hamilton last year. Especially Kyron who could have upped his drfat status on a National stage.

**** Maybe we should start offering players incentives to play from the NIL collective?

*** I believe TEAM CAPTAINS, even the ones highly ranked ones should at least suit up for their teams even if they dont play. And maybe they can see the need for their team to play a down or two.

*** I know the argument for risking injury but more injuries occur in practice noncontact plays then in games. They could get injured practicing for the combine and lose draft status.

Your thoughts?
We don’t have to look for Young as the alternative example. Our own Patterson fits the bill nicely. Personally, I was disappointed that Foskey and Mayer made the decision to quit. The rational about possibly getting injured and hurting their draft status is always a possibility, at any time during the season. Hate to think we might see stars quitting with two or three games left when their team is no longer in contention for their conference championship. I think Patterson was a whole lot happier and thankful for the opportunity to play one last game with his teammates. I respect their right to make this decision, but I hold Patterson in high regard for his.

After Jaylon went from a top 5 draft pick to a second rounder I don’t blame any of them.
I love Jaylon Smith for playing in a big bowl game against Ohio State. Remember there were far less opt outs for those big games. And Jaylon Smith is currently a multimillionaire who has the respect of all his teammates and Irish fans. I looked up his networth and it said $4 million. Not bad, and he has a Notre Dame degree and will have no problems making more money.
Bryce Youngs NIL agreement required his participation in his bowl game. Hard to up your draft status when your a consensus top 5 pick.

How do you know Bryce got an NIL agreement and that he is a consensus top five pick? The announcers who get tremendous knowledge feeds from people in the know said that Bryce helped his stock by the way he played against Kstate. And alot of players are getting BIG NIL money and are opting out.
And you are questioning his integrity if you are saying he played because of money when he said that " he played because he love his teammates.

*** I can almost garantee his performance earned him GREAT respect amonst all Alabama fans for life and earned him extra draft money negotiations.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
We don’t have to look for Young as the alternative example. Our own Patterson fits the bill nicely. Personally, I was disappointed that Foskey and Mayer made the decision to quit. The rational about possibly getting injured and hurting their draft status is always a possibility, at any time during the season. Hate to think we might see stars quitting with two or three games left when their team is no longer in contention for their conference championship. I think Patterson was a whole lot happier and thankful for the opportunity to play one last game with his teammates. I respect their right to make this decision, but I hold Patterson in high regard for his.
Great post ! Patterson is my hero for life. I will be closely watching his career like I do Quenton Nelson who is an alltime great allready.
Patterson got hurt alot before the season, during the season, and he got hurt against South Carolina ! But he is what I call a REAL FOOTBALL PLAYER ! Football hurts ! But he plays hurt ! No fear !

Patterson does not quit on his teammates ! It is not all about money to Patterson ! It is about his team mates and respect for the game !

It wasn’t just Bryce. Bama and KState kids played. Bama had multiple first rounders play and win. A real team and real culture. It was refreshing. I’ve never been a Bama fan but both KState and Bama moved up in my respect for them.
I believe the culture will change at Notre Dame under Marcus ! His top recruits will play !

Facts. And I like that you used the word “quit” bc that’s what it is. It shouldn’t be called opt out. It should be called what it is, quitting.

Your thoughts?
Bama guys weren’t getting paid if they didn’t play….so a difference

Your thoughts?
Totally 💯 agree. They quit on their team and teammates, there is no denying that; and they are captains. Yes it is their choice, but they did quit. And yet the only example of injury that I recall is Jaylon (whose made over $30 million, and is still in the league with the Giants)

Totally agree

Reactions: BodiTheGreat

Your thoughts?
Well said. Pay your own way and buy a ticket.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
When Mayer said, “I wouldn’t miss this for the world,” I cringed. You should honor your teammates and your school by suiting up WITH/FOR them. Hell, they have insurance policies for this very thing. Jaylon had one and got paid as a Top10 pick despite going in the second round.

They were not getting paid life changing money to leaky in that game and it’s not true that all of them were getting paid as much as Mayer and Foskey.

So what I’m hearing is Bama’s NIL deals aren’t guaranteed unless they play while ours are. BRILLIANT!

Was any ND player seriously injured in the South Carolina game ?

Was any ND player seriously injured in the South Carolina game ?

Mayer got rolled up on when cheering on the sideline. He flew into Foskey and both were taken to the hospital. Still awaiting their status.

Someone should have warned them of the dangers of being there beforehand. They may have lost millions because of it. BTW, there’s a nasty flu bug going around in that hospital and they had to drive through flood waters to get there. Why wouldn’t they take them somewhere safer to protect future earnings.

Last edited:
Mayer got rolled up on when cheering on the sideline. He flew into Foskey and both were taken to the hospital. Still awaiting their status.

Someone should have warned them of the dangers of being there beforehand. They may have lost millions because of it. BTW, there’s a nasty flu bug going around in that hospital and they had to drive through flood waters to get there. Why wouldn’t they take them somewhere safer to protect future earnings.
👍

I love Jaylon Smith for playing in a big bowl game against Ohio State. Remember there were far less opt outs for those big games. And Jaylon Smith is currently a multimillionaire who has the respect of all his teammates and Irish fans. I looked up his networth and it said $4 million. Not bad, and he has a Notre Dame degree and will have no problems making more money.

How do you know Bryce got an NIL agreement and that he is a consensus top five pick? The announcers who get tremendous knowledge feeds from people in the know said that Bryce helped his stock by the way he played against Kstate. And alot of players are getting BIG NIL money and are opting out.
And you are questioning his integrity if you are saying he played because of money when he said that " he played because he love his teammates.

*** I can almost garantee his performance earned him GREAT respect amonst all Alabama fans for life and earned him extra draft money negotiations.
I'm equally sure that his participation in this game had absolutely zero impact on his draft status, and certainly zero impact on his contract negotiations. Those rookie contracts are set in stone. He's pretty much a lock to be the first QB taken, if not the first overall, to Houston.

Jaylon Smith left 20 million guaranteed on the table when he got hurt. Glad you think he made a good choice to play, and that 4 million is plenty for anybody. Ridiculous. You think his ND degree is worth 20 million? Is the admiration of some strangers worth 20 million? Pretty selfish of you to ask someone to risk their entire career for your amusement.

Besides, these games are meaningless. The only reason ND participates is to get in extra practice time. Why not put the new guys in and get them some experience, rather than a guy that is gone to the NFL? .

Please show me the proof of this, it’s easy to say but I read and heard pundits and analysts say Bryce and Anderson didn’t have to play but both wanted to as captains of their team.
I only heard it on Sirius radio (bama channel, Mark Ingram). Please show me proof they weren't

I only heard it on Sirius radio (bama channel, Mark Ingram). Please show me proof they weren't
I’m sorry but I just don’t believe that. Young is going to make tens of millions, I doubt his NIL is paying him more then he’ll make as a top 5 pick.

It doesn’t matter really, Bama’s Captains played, two of ours didn’t.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT