ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame's 2018 Schedule is loaded

echo: what is the difference between a very good HS football coach and a D1 coaching assistant? Is it knowledge of Xs and Os? Does a high school coach advance by who he has developed into D1 players or is it who you know and connections? Then, what is a DL coach at Montana State doing differently than say HH when he was at ND? Same drills I suppose. I understand the players are of better quality but wouldn't they both have the same knowledge to do the job? I'm guessing it's leadership combined with personality and knowledge of Xs and Os.

Thank God you said this. I truly don't think anyone on the board is idiotic enough to think that only 1 thing matters (ie - 5* recruits, great coaches, great developers, great S&C programs). But a heck of a lot seem to put so much stock and value into 1 over the other. If Charlie Weis, or Ty Willingham, or Terry Brennan had teams chock full of 5* star talent, then unless they were ungodly lucky, they weren't winning a national title. If Knute Rockne, Ara Parseghian, Bear Bryant, Pete Carroll had only 1-2-3* level talent, then they weren't winning a national title. It's a balance and a focus.

So many individual posts lament that we don't have one thing or the other. Look at the whole frickin' package for once. It's a sliding scale of multiple pathways that all impact each other. Then factor in uncontrollables like injuries, weather, illness, hurricanes, etc.

It seemed obvious to me and should to everyone else. You are absolutely correct in your post here. Personally I think this team has enough talent to get us into the playoffs. Since Kelly has been there before we should be able to do it again

echo: what is the difference between a very good HS football coach and a D1 coaching assistant? Is it knowledge of Xs and Os? Does a high school coach advance by who he has developed into D1 players or is it who you know and connections? Then, what is a DL coach at Montana State doing differently than say HH when he was at ND? Same drills I suppose. I understand the players are of better quality but wouldn't they both have the same knowledge to do the job? I'm guessing it's leadership combined with personality and knowledge of Xs and Os.
personality is definitely a large piece of the puzzle. i've been coaching at the high school level for over 15 years. from an x and o standpoint i believe i'm as good as anyone. i've had more than a half dozen opportunities to move to the college level. i was never interested in that. i know what kind of life those guys have. that's not for me. one thing to remember is that coaching at the high school level is basically a really low paying part time job. given the hours put in likely far less than minimum wage. coaching at the collegiate level is more than full time. the basic fundamentals of any position are the same regardless of level. who is best at "teaching " them and getting his players to buy in to the way he is teaching them are key. its all about fit most of the time. larry kehres is in my opinion is the greatest college head coach of my lifetime. because he chose to remain at the D3 level shouldn't tarnish his remarkable accomplishments. he could teach and lead with anyone. period. like any profession some folks are just better at it for lots of reasons.

Reactions: tbonesays
Thanks echo. Really informative response.
sure. one thing i was remiss in saying is that at least at the collegiate level a coach is pretty much always dealing with players of similar skill sets and measureables. at my level i've had more than a few years where i didn't have one lineman over 220 pounds. those kinds of things do change the way you teach the position.

Do you scrimmage ones against ones most of the time? I ask because there has to be a pretty large drop off from ones to twos, and threes basically can't help all that much other than bodies in the high school game. I'm sure there might be a limit to hitting once the season starts in HS but I'm not sure if that rule is state to state.

There are only around 65 power five teams so anything out of the top 30 is below average. Plus Clay will screw us up and we will be ranked lower when you play us. Still it is a strong schedule.

Don't most P5 schools schedule a third of their games against non P5 schools ?

Notre Dame has 10 power 5 schools scheduled, and 4 of them are legitimate conference title contenders who are some of the most talent-rich teams in the country.

Do you scrimmage ones against ones most of the time? I ask because there has to be a pretty large drop off from ones to twos, and threes basically can't help all that much other than bodies in the high school game. I'm sure there might be a limit to hitting once the season starts in HS but I'm not sure if that rule is state to state.
we do but being at a higher level here in ohio we have the numbers to do so. not a lot of our kids play both ways.

Don't most P5 schools schedule a third of their games against non P5 schools ?

Notre Dame has 10 power 5 schools scheduled, and 4 of them are legitimate conference title contenders who are some of the most talent-rich teams in the country.

Don't know, I do know SC plays one non power five school next year, but if you are playing a team ranked below 25-30 you are playing a below average team. If you are asking whether other teams play even worse teams, then yes.

Don't know, I do know SC plays one non power five school next year, but if you are playing a team ranked below 25-30 you are playing a below average team. If you are asking whether other teams play even worse teams, then yes.
UNLV lost to Howard for crying out loud. That was on top of the other miserable seven losses to mostly bad teams. How that translates to 2018, I have no idea. But, are you really going to compare UNLV to 26-30, Fresno, WF, NCST, Iowa, Iowa State, and FAU? UNLV is not USC's problem or their fault. It is what it is. The rest of SC's schedule is pretty competitive, especially that pesky last home game.

UNLV lost to Howard for crying out loud. That was on top of the other miserable seven losses to mostly bad teams. How that translates to 2018, I have no idea. But, are you really going to compare UNLV to 26-30, Fresno, WF, NCST, Iowa, Iowa State, and FAU? UNLV is not USC's problem or their fault. It is what it is. The rest of SC's schedule is pretty competitive, especially that pesky last home game.

Not sure what point you are trying to make. I never said SC's schedule was stronger than ND's. I said any school ranked below 25-30 was below average. Then someone posted asking whether most schools play a third of their games against non power five teams. I wrote that I don't know but SC plays one non power five team, that is UNLV. I am not sure how I was unclear but I hope this will helps you understand.

Not sure what point you are trying to make. I never said SC's schedule was stronger than ND's. I said any school ranked below 25-30 was below average. Then someone posted asking whether most schools play a third of their games against non power five teams. I wrote that I don't know but SC plays one non power five team, that is UNLV. I am not sure how I was unclear but I hope this will helps you understand.
ND isn't part of my comments. I was saying that, although UNLV is/was pretty bad in 2017, the rest of the SC schedule is pretty darn competitive. The other point I was trying to make, though admittedly not very well, is that the programs just outside of the Top 25 (26-30), as you alluded to, are much much more competitive than UNLV and hardly below average. On further review, this probably isn't even worth discussing. Everyone has an UNLV on their schedule.

Reactions: francade
ND isn't part of my comments. I was saying that, although UNLV is/was pretty bad in 2017, the rest of the SC schedule is pretty darn competitive. The other point I was trying to make, though admittedly not very well, is that the programs just outside of the Top 25 (26-30), as you alluded to, are much much more competitive than UNLV and hardly below average. On further review, this probably isn't even worth discussing. Everyone has an UNLV on their schedule.

OK I get it now and agree

Beach, you’re one of the best rival fans that visit here, no doubt, but I disagree that teams ranked outside of the top 25 are below average. Especially when comparing them to the slop that most teams play at the bottom of their schedules. Most of them play multiple examples of this too. There is no comparison schedule-wise w/ teams not ranked to the dregs that some play (sometimes more than once or twice a season).

Beach, you’re one of the best rival fans that visit here, no doubt, but I disagree that teams ranked outside of the top 25 are below average. Especially when comparing them to the slop that most teams play at the bottom of their schedules. Most of them play multiple examples of this too. There is no comparison schedule-wise w/ teams not ranked to the dregs that some play (sometimes more than once or twice a season).
Have to agree. Not likely much of a difference between team # 25 and team #30. Could easily be nothing more than a tipped pass, an unlucky bounce or a blown call by an official.

Reactions: ivan brunetti

Hey nothing wrong with disagreeing. Especially with me, I am frequently wrong.

Reactions: francade
Michigan has a god awful horrible offense and so i'm not too worried about losing unless our irish give them the game with lots of turnovers

Everyone has an UNLV on their schedule.

UNLV would beat the #12 buy game on any given SEC schedule. PAC fans have explained that because their fans would not show up for Towson, they have to schedule MWC schools which leads to many more upsets over time.

UNLV lost to Howard just last year so saying that they would beat the SEC "buy" game is not a certainty. How this translates to their game with SC is anybody's guess.

UNLV lost to Howard just last year so saying that they would beat the SEC "buy" game is not a certainty. How this translates to their game with SC is anybody's guess.

It's not a guarantee that USF would beat McNeese St but the principle is the same.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT