ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame plays 3 teams favored to win their conference

I understand and I agree with you for the most part. But part of your argument is using Vegas to show how good USC is, claiming that because of the odds they a favorite to win the Pac-12. However, most informed people who follow the Trojans do not think SC will win the Pac 12, or even play in the championship gamer.
Will they be betting their own money?

not buying USC as the favorite. Utah is #8 in the coaches' poll, and USC has to play at Utah. Oregon is also ranked ahead of them.

Not saying they can't win it, but Vegas odds are about money. The odds are low for USC because people are betting on them.

Not saying they can't win it, but Vegas odds are about money. The odds are low for USC because people are betting on them.
would people please stop saying this. Vegas odds tell you who is favored to win. If people were betting on the wrong side, the sharps start loading up on the right team.

would people please stop saying this. Vegas odds tell you who is favored to win. If people were betting on the wrong side, the sharps start loading up on the right team.
I wish people would stop saying this ^^^^

their goal is to get action equivalent so that winners pay the losers and vice versa. The house doesn't gamble. They make their money on the juice, which they get on every bet. They want 2 things 1. even betting and 2. heavy betting.

All Vegas odds reflect is what the gambling public THINKS, and what odds will achieve the two stated goals.

People are excited about USC. New coach with a high-flying offense, 5 star QB, and a roster with talent. If they had them at -400, people would be absolutely killing it with bets, which would cause a skew, so, they bring it lower.

If USC wins the conference or doesn't, if they get the action right, they will make the same money.

it kills me when people say, "boy those oddsmakers are smart" when a team favored by 6 wins by 6. They're smart because they make money no matter what.

I wish people would stop saying this ^^^^

their goal is to get action equivalent so that winners pay the losers and vice versa. The house doesn't gamble. They make their money on the juice, which they get on every bet. They want 2 things 1. even betting and 2. heavy betting.

All Vegas odds reflect is what the gambling public THINKS, and what odds will achieve the two stated goals.

People are excited about USC. New coach with a high-flying offense, 5 star QB, and a roster with talent. If they had them at -400, people would be absolutely killing it with bets, which would cause a skew, so, they bring it lower.

If USC wins the conference or doesn't, if they get the action right, they will make the same money.

it kills me when people say, "boy those oddsmakers are smart" when a team favored by 6 wins by 6. They're smart because they make money no matter what.
Perfectly correct.

The 'balancing the line' is folklore. Vegas is quite happy to post an unbalanced line of genpop is betting the wrong side.

ADVERTISEMENT