ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame loses one of their 2024 commitments

The word and the concept of “commitment“ are lost on today’s generation.

It’s endemic and indicative of a lack of character and integrity !

Gone are the days when your word was your bond !

I think players that commit before their junior season should all be viewed as marginal commitments at best. Given Freeman’s policy that commits are not to take official visits elsewhere, seems to me that we should expect this kind of decommit. We’re talking mostly 16 old kids, many from economically disadvantaged families, being offered all expense paid trips to spend a weekend at a great college campus while being the center of attention of high profile adult coaches. I expect players who commit shortly before their senior season to have experienced enough of this recruiting process to know where they want to play and to stick with their commitment, but that’s expecting a lot from a 16 yr old player who makes his commitment before he’s played a down his junior year.

I think players that commit before their junior season should all be viewed as marginal commitments at best. Given Freeman’s policy that commits are not to take official visits elsewhere, seems to me that we should expect this kind of decommit. We’re talking mostly 16 old kids, many from economically disadvantaged families, being offered all expense paid trips to spend a weekend at a great college campus while being the center of attention of high profile adult coaches. I expect players who commit shortly before their senior season to have experienced enough of this recruiting process to know where they want to play and to stick with their commitment, but that’s expecting a lot from a 16 yr old player who makes his commitment before he’s played a down his junior year.
Part of the issue is with freemans policy on official vs unofficial visits. Unofficial visits now are lucrative in a lot of cases. I think internally his process is modified and doesn't feel like limar or bowen are committed despite not taking officials elsewhere as they aren't.

Also, there's no harm for the players to ensure they are part of a good team they like as they can continue looking around.

Again, i think staff got hurt by keeley, moore, edwards but have known bowen and limar weren't solid at all.

Part of the issue is with freemans policy on official vs unofficial visits. Unofficial visits now are lucrative in a lot of cases. I think internally his process is modified and doesn't feel like limar or bowen are committed despite not taking officials elsewhere as they aren't.

Also, there's no harm for the players to ensure they are part of a good team they like as they can continue looking around.

Again, i think staff got hurt by keeley, moore, edwards but have known bowen and limar weren't solid at all.
Dante Moore was never committed to Notre Dame in any capacity. Your narrative that he was is garbage.

Reactions: Kelso86
Dante Moore was never committed to Notre Dame in any capacity. Your narrative that he was is garbage.
There was a lot of talk that Moore was a silent thus the lack of movement on other highly rated guys, I.e. Arnold.

I think it's a fair rule, or policy for a coach that if you're committed, publicly verbally committed, that you shouldn't take OVs elsewhere. Totally reasonable and seemingly impossible to argue against, or at least to argue too convincingly against.

Recruiting is awful enough, and this very unfortunate lying that goes on, and that's effectively what it is, where you have an offer from a team but you don't really have an offer, and you couldn't accept this putative offer if you wanted to. But you still refer to it as a real scholarship offer. Or conversely where kid is verbally committed and goes public with it, with some not inconsiderable ceremony oftentimes, and yet absolutely carries on as if not actually committed, and very much still deciding and contemplating and actively entertaining attentions from other various suitors. That would be great if that could somehow go away. These polite fictions I guess you could call them.

I just hope MF is going to do his part as the coach, by not making any of these spurious offers, and his policy is that if you get an 'offer' from ND that it's real, and you can commit. And it's not just some come-on. Otherwise. you're a hypocrite. And quite frankly you're not to be trusted. And I'm guessing that's not MF's policy, and he does make these bogus offers all the time as a matter of regular practice.

Nasty, you raise an interesting point about unofficial visits. The distinction has always been official is all expense paid by the university, and unofficial is at the expense of the player. Your reference to unofficial visits being lucrative in a lot of cases means this distinction in practice no longer exists. I’m ignorant in this regard. Can you explain or provide a couple examples?

Because rivals didn't or a website didn't show it?

He was a commit, freeman spoke of him to boosters without stating his name that they landed their QB... Moore kept moving out timeline to publicly commit to the point where ND realized he wasn't actually committed. It just happened to be very far into the process and took a LONG time for ND to make up for that with other QBs.

Nasty, you raise an interesting point about unofficial visits. The distinction has always been official is all expense paid by the university, and unofficial is at the expense of the player. Your reference to unofficial visits being lucrative in a lot of cases means this distinction in practice no longer exists. I’m ignorant in this regard. Can you explain or provide a couple examples?
Boosters and others are paying some players during unofficial visits. It's starting to become common.

It's why some of these kids are able to go on so many unofficial visits and afford them.

Just like kids are getting $$$ upfront (supposed to be illegal) they are also now getting compensation to unofficial (supposed to be illegal).

Because rivals didn't or a website didn't show it?

He was a commit, freeman spoke of him to boosters without stating his name that they landed their QB... Moore kept moving out timeline to publicly commit to the point where ND realized he wasn't actually committed. It just happened to be very far into the process and took a LONG time for ND to make up for that with other QBs.
Your narrative has no basis of fact to it.

Boosters and others are paying some players during unofficial visits. It's starting to become common.

It's why some of these kids are able to go on so many unofficial visits and afford them.

Just like kids are getting $$$ upfront (supposed to be illegal) they are also now getting compensation to unofficial (supposed to be illegal).
Thought you were suggesting some form of LEGAL compensation was going on with unofficial visits. First thought was that Alums and/or local businesses were covering these costs legally under some potential NIL opportunities. If they’ve come up with some way to legally cover the costs of unofficial visits via NIL, then the wonderfully Ineffective NCAA needs to change their policy, and Freeman does as well.

• Haha
Your narrative has no basis of fact to it.
believe what you wish, just what a lot of people much more in the know have stated

This means that you believe the coaches went all in on moore and broke it off with all their other good QBs without even having moore silently committed. That's an even worse look for the coaches.

Thought you were suggesting some form of LEGAL compensation was going on with unofficial visits. First thought was that Alums and/or local businesses were covering these costs legally under some potential NIL opportunities. If they’ve come up with some way to legally cover the costs of unofficial visits via NIL, then the wonderfully Ineffective NCAA needs to change their policy, and Freeman does as well.
possibly, but at least the intent is players should not be guaranteed money to come to a school or come to an unofficial visit

Starting to become common ? I got lots of loaded handshakes back in 85-86 when I was taking visits. Nothing new there. Not I'm sure the amounts have gone up significantly since then.

believe what you wish, just what a lot of people much more in the know have stated

This means that you believe the coaches went all in on moore and broke it off with all their other good QBs without even having moore silently committed. That's an even worse look for the coaches.
He was a silent commit

The way hes acting and his wants, I think we made out real well at QB this year

Starting to become common ? I got lots of loaded handshakes back in 85-86 when I was taking visits. Nothing new there. Not I'm sure the amounts have gone up significantly since then.
Yeah i think the amounts have significantly gone up in recent years.

Had to be tough shaking hands with one being full of pennies! :)

Reactions: echowaker
He was a silent commit

The way hes acting and his wants, I think we made out real well at QB this year
Agree, i'd rather have someone good all in on ND vs someone really good chasing $$$.

I just don't like the way the coaches handled it, hopefully they learned.

Agree, i'd rather have someone good all in on ND vs someone really good chasing $$$.

I just don't like the way the coaches handled it, hopefully they learned.
You're really good with criticism of the ND coaching staff from your couch. Apply for your major own Head Coaching job or as an assistant, and show us how it is done.

Reactions: Bourbanman

They did it with Shipley, why not Moore? And they didn't break it off with their other good QBs because Carr committed while Moore was being recruited...for what that commitment may be worth in the end

And a lot of people in the know said there was no commitment from Moore, silent or otherwise

You're really good with criticism of the ND coaching staff from your couch. Apply for your major own Head Coaching job or as an assistant, and show us how it is done.
My bad, the coaches handled the Moore QB recruitment perfectly

They did it with Shipley, why not Moore? And they didn't break it off with their other good QBs because Carr committed while Moore was being recruited...for what that commitment may be worth in the end

And a lot of people in the know said there was no commitment from Moore, silent or otherwise
Will shipley never committed to ND and or strung them along. Also ND knew the answer by about end of April.

Also there's WAYYYY more good running back recruits than good QB recruits. ND did very well to flip minchey. But i don't think they want to go that same route again for such a critical position.

That's not true. Mostly everyone in the know said he was a silent. He would group chat with all our commits

ADVERTISEMENT