ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame Landed Their Sam Bradford

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
People often want comparisons and a number of people have asked me how good I think Phil Jurkovec can be and who he reminds me of. He reminds me an incredible amount of heisman winning, former Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford, whose offense re-wrote record books. From their frames to their arm talent and their athleticsm. Both great athletes and multi sport stars.

Reactions: Maplerock
Boy I hope you are right, IIO. Have to say it has been the most disappointing aspect of Kelly's time at ND. The play of the QBs. Except for Kizer's impressive first year at the helm I have been very underwhelmed by the QB play. Tommy played better than his average talent. Golson never improved (shot himself in the foot), Zaire never really got a chance and Wimbush was a disappointment for me this year, if he throws the ball better we would have won another game or probably two.

What gives? Are these recruiting overhypes (Golson and Tommy were 3*s) or is he lacking when it comes to coaching up QBs?

Here we go again

Is that a fairy, or elf, or what in your pic? Or is that “Merlin?”

I’ve never seen LOTR or GOT so if it’s from those I wouldn’t know?

Also, do you live your entire life so negatively wishing you were in a fantasy world like an elf? You are always do pissy?

Reactions: nemeth#5
Boy I hope you are right, IIO. Have to say it has been the most disappointing aspect of Kelly's time at ND. The play of the QBs. Except for Kizer's impressive first year at the helm I have been very underwhelmed by the QB play. Tommy played better than his average talent. Golson never improved (shot himself in the foot), Zaire never really got a chance and Wimbush was a disappointment for me this year, if he throws the ball better we would have won another game or probably two.

What gives? Are these recruiting overhypes (Golson and Tommy were 3*s) or is he lacking when it comes to coaching up QBs?

Actually I'm a Kelly fan who believes he has done the best job as an ND coach since Holtz.

Is that a fairy, or elf, or what in your pic? Or is that “Merlin?”

I’ve never seen LOTR or GOT so if it’s from those I wouldn’t know?

Also, do you live your entire life so negatively wishing you were in a fantasy world like an elf? You are always do pissy?
I highly recommend GOT and this is coming from a 65 year old guy who doesn't get into Star Wars, fantasy stuff, super heroes, gaming and all the nerdy stuff. I was "forced" to watch it and after a couple of episodes, I was hooked. I also recommend the movie "Life". Sorry to take this fine thread off track but you gave me an opening and I took advantage of it.

I highly recommend GOT and this is coming from a 65 year old guy who doesn't get into Star Wars, fantasy stuff, super heroes, gaming and all the nerdy stuff. I was "forced" to watch it and after a couple of episodes, I was hooked. I also recommend the movie "Life". Sorry to take this fine thread off track but you gave me an opening and I rrrtook advantage of it.

To continue this thread off track, I highly recommed Vikings on the history channel. While GOT is a great show, I give the nod to Vikings. It doesn't have the fantasy, but it has all the rest of GOT, including one really cool valkyrie.

Anyone with a brain knows the answer to this. bk is lacking in a lot of things and coaching up QBs is one of them.

IIO, great insight and I agree with this young mans upside. He should be fun to watch over the next few years and I’m now expecting great things.

Blah blah blah. Jimmy Clausen was Michael Jordan of football and his initials were JC so he was going to be the greatest of all time.

Dayne Christ was “even better.”

How many times have we heard this? Typically it results in a player being overvalued and spending too much time on the field while the better, underappreciated player is underutilized, until the severe difference between them is too great to ignore or until the over confident, cocky 5 star realizes he actually has no heart or talent in the first place. Size is overvalued as is early maturation. Neither, as a single attribute, translates to the field.

I’ll tell you something factual: there were only 16 4-5* players in the Super Bowl out of the 60+ that played. These players did not stand out in any way over the lesser star players. A small majority of the greatest players were blue chip recruits. The vast majority of star players in the NFL were under ranked.

Ian Book is probably the best QB. Or someone who will simply work their ass off regardless of star rating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maplerock
Blah blah blah. Jimmy Clausen was Michael Jordan of football and his initials were JC so he was going to be the greatest of all time.

Dayne Christ was “even better.”

How many times have we heard this? Typically it results in a player being overvalued and spending too much time on the field while the better, underappreciated player is underutilized, until the severe difference between them is too great to ignore or until the over confident, cocky 5 star realizes he actually has no heart or talent in the first place. Size is overvalued as is early maturation. Neither, as a single attribute, translates to the field.

I’ll tell you something factual: there were only 16 4-5* players in the Super Bowl out of the 60+ that played. A small majority of the greatest players were blue chip recruits. The vast majority of star players in the NFL were under ranked.

Ian Book is probably the best QB. Or someone who will simply work their ass off regardless of star rating.

Well, there are roughly (estimate, someone correct me) 4 times as many 3 and 4 stars each year than there are 5 stars....

And Jimmy was great at ND in my opinion.

Lol the people that bang their heads off the wall trying to convince themselves that recruiting rankings are irrelavent and aren't an excellent evaluation tool, simply amazes me...

Follow along... Since Jimmy Clausen...

Jimmy Clausen (5 star): 3 year starter at ND. Among the most accurate QB's in ND history. 2nd round NFL draft pick.

Kyle Rudolph (5 star): 3 year starter at ND. All American. Excellent career. 2nd round NFL draft pick. In the upper echelon of active TE's in the NFL

Michael Floyd (5 star): 3 year starter at ND. All American. Most prolific pass catcher in ND history. Biletnikoff finalist. 1st round NFL draft pick. Quality NFL career.

Dayne Crist (5 star): Bust.

Manti Te'o (5 star): 3 year starter at ND. Butkus award winner in college. All American. One of the 3 best linebackers in ND history. Captained the best defense ND has fielded in 20 years in 2012. 2nd round NFL draft pick. Quality NFL career.

Stephon Tuitt (5 star): 3 year starter at ND. All American. Best defensive lineman at ND since Justin Tuck. 2nd round NFL draft pick who would have went in the 1st rounf had he not battled a hernia his entire junior year. Quality NFL career.

Aaron Lynch (5 star): Freshman All American. Didn't have his head on straight and it cost him his career. Epuld have been dominant. He was rated correctly in terms of talent. The 2012 defense with Lynch opposite Tuitt would have been crazy.

Ishaq Williams (5 star): Bust... But was so athletic he got NFL camp invites despite doing nothing relavent at ND. Incredible athlete. Not a great football player.

Gunner Kiel (5 star): Transferred out but went on to start elsewhere.

Jaylon Smith (5 star): 2 year starter. All American. Butkus award winner in college. 2nd round NFL draft pick who eould have been a top 5 overall picl had it not been for the injury in the bowl game. NFL career in progress.

Max Redfield: Bust.

Quenton Nelson (5 star): 3 year starter. All American. Best lineman in college football and best OL at ND since Aaron Taylor. About to be a top 10 NFL draft pick this upcoming year. Possibly the best interior lineman in college football over the past decade.

Tommy Kraemer (5 star): Going to be a 3 year starter at ND and will be a surefire NFL draft pick down the road. Career in progress. Started as a redshirt freshman.

I'll take that boom to bust ratio any day given that the "boom" players have been teice the number of bust players and have been some of the best players at their positions in modern ND history and have achieved national accolades and all of them have been 1st or 2nd round NFL draft picks.

Nope. Not important at all. SMH.

ND not only landed an outstanding QB, but foursome of really talented receivers that are exceptionally complimentary, to go along with two excellent TEs. They landed an outstanding linebacker trio that are collectively elite imo, and the best group of defensive backs in a very long time. Our interior DL recruits are excellent, and build on last year’s surprise freshmen contributors. After doing pretty well at DE two years ago and rationalized developmental players last year, this year was a major disappointment. OL was considered a weak candidate pool this year, and we lost out on the only sure fire impact starter in NPF, but did reasonably well. Next year we need to kill it with both the OL and DE. Overall, a very good class that compliments positions of need with outstanding talent.

ND not only landed an outstanding QB, but foursome of really talented receivers that are exceptionally complimentary, to go along with two excellent TEs. They landed an outstanding linebacker trio that are collectively elite imo, and the best group of defensive backs in a very long time. Our interior DL recruits are excellent, and build on last year’s surprise freshmen contributors. After doing pretty well at DE two years ago and rationalized developmental players last year, this year was a major disappointment. OL was considered a weak candidate pool this year, and we lost out on the only sure fire impact starter in NPF, but did reasonably well. Next year we need to kill it with both the OL and DE. Overall, a very good class that compliments positions of need with outstanding talent.

What is great about the interior d-line it is 2 years in a row that they recruited well. The o-line was good obviously losing on NPF hurt a bit because he may be ready to play now where as, the other linemen may need up to 2 years before they are a go. However, they are good players do not kid yourself and think they are not good. look at some film. The linebacker haul was the best. The DB haul was the best. WR/QB top notch. We need some consistency across the board and as you said with DE's we need 2 years of 4* and hopefully a 5* DE's . Some of the DE's they recruited in the past were projects.

What is great about the interior d-line it is 2 years in a row that they recruited well. The o-line was good obviously losing on NPF hurt a bit because he may be ready to play now where as, the other linemen may need up to 2 years before they are a go. However, they are good players do not kid yourself and think they are not good. look at some film. The linebacker haul was the best. The DB haul was the best. WR/QB top notch. We need some consistency across the board and as you said with DE's we need 2 years of 4* and hopefully a 5* DE's . Some of the DE's they recruited in the past were projects.

Surely you will miss on top talent at various positions in your class. It happens all the time, at every school. The key is to find a quality replacement in the class so you hit your numbers so you aren't left in the position ND will be in two years when 3/4 of their depth at DE could be underclassmen again. Unless you land 5 star talent that is physically superior (which ND rarely does) you have to stay "old" and developed to counter the elite talent void.

Reactions: BGI User 1596
If Phil reaches his full potential, I see him as a Carson wentz type. Not saying he will be an NFL MVP caliber player, but he could be to ND what wentz is for the birds. Both 6'5 mobile guys who needed some mechanic refinement. Hope he is the leader that wentz is

I heard Tim Benz on 970 Pittsburgh describe him as unreal. in a few yrs when Big Ben hangs them up he will be ready for the Steelers.

The class was excellent, especially after losing your best 2 assistant coaches during the process. ND has to win at least 10 games again, and show major improvement from Hayes, Kareem, and Okwara this coming season. The team has alot of talent and experience on that side of the ball. But the offensive side of the team worries me though.

If Phil reaches his full potential, I see him as a Carson wentz type. Not saying he will be an NFL MVP caliber player, but he could be to ND what wentz is for the birds. Both 6'5 mobile guys who needed some mechanic refinement. Hope he is the leader that wentz is

That is exactly who i think he reminds me of

People often want comparisons and a number of people have asked me how good I think Phil Jurkovec can be and who he reminds me of. He reminds me an incredible amount of heisman winning, former Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford, whose offense re-wrote record books. From their frames to their arm talent and their athleticsm. Both great athletes and multi sport stars.
Not Sam Bradford at all. I have watched him on TV and he reminds me of Carson Wentz.

Big....tall...strong...and mobile.

When you say trio you are leaving out Ovie O. He's gonna be a good player mark my words

I don’t necessarily see the comparison but if he ends up as good as Bradford, we’ll all be ecstatic.

I watched him take apart an unbeaten St. Joseph's Prep team to win the Pennsylvania Class 6A title. He is really good. Big kid with a great arm, real good running skills, and a tough kid.

Did Sam have the injury bug in college that he has in the NFL?
Bradford had two fairly injury free seasons. Out one game in 2007 his RS freshman year. Played all through 2008. Got injured in the opener in 2009 against BYU, came back about a month later before getting knocked out for the season in the Texas game. His pro career much more injury related.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT