ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame is not completely out of the playoff hunt. It will be a longshot though

Bodizephax

I've posted how many times?
Feb 24, 2012
Rikers Island (Lifer)
www.gstatic.com
If the Irish win ten straight with big wins against a hopefully highly ranked Clemson,BYU, and USC and the SEC and Big ten beating each other up. You will see a glimpse of their potential greatness this weekend against Cal. Drew Pyne has a little Rocky Balboa in him. I saw that last year after he would lead the offense into the end zone and run off the field with swagger. I think Drew will rise to the occasion and lead us to a ten game win streak. I am a realist,though. I just don't see Drew leading us to a victory against , probably , the #1 seed BAMA or the DAWGs. I just don't see it. Sorry. But hey like Bill Murray in "What about Bob". Baby steps. We will soon enough be on the Mountain top. Go Irish! Beat Cal !

The fact you're saying that ND wouldn't beat a top team or #2 is definitely a new day.

But then again you started off by saying we'll reel off 10 straight and make a playoff......

If the Irish win ten straight with big wins against a hopefully highly ranked Clemson,BYU, and USC and the SEC and Big ten beating each other up. You will see a glimpse of their potential greatness this weekend against Cal. Drew Pyne has a little Rocky Balboa in him. I saw that last year after he would lead the offense into the end zone and run off the field with swagger. I think Drew will rise to the occasion and lead us to a ten game win streak. I am a realist,though. I just don't see Drew leading us to a victory against , probably , the #1 seed BAMA or the DAWGs. I just don't see it. Sorry. But hey like Bill Murray in "What about Bob". Baby steps. We will soon enough be on the Mountain top. Go Irish! Beat Cal !
Bombastic

Bodi, normally I’m in some agreement with your posts, but ND’s only chance at making the playoffs in 22 is if the ground opens up and swallows several programs.

Reactions: Kelso86
It's funny that the posters on this board expected a 12-0 season with a QB that has played one full year of football since middle school, in basically a short bus league. He was unable to beat out the backup until 3 weeks before this season starts.

While the posters on the board cry, Pyne will pick up where Buchner left off and lead this team to a great finish.

Relax ladies.

If they play one game at a time, there may be a very faint chance of having a good season. Hopefully, enough bad things have already happened for this year. Signature wins over Clemson and USC would make many of us feel a lot better.

Reactions: rgc7
hysterical-laughter.gif

the words your nobody’s fool but your own are truly tested by you!

Love it, bodi. Don’t let anyone take your unbridled optimism. We all could use some more of it in life.
2 down 8 to go. Call me crazy but the Irish face 4 highly ranked teams and Nort Carolina will be ranked soon. The Irish have to keep improving and if they start winning big , anything can happen.

2 down 8 to go. Call me crazy but the Irish face 4 highly ranked teams and Nort Carolina will be ranked soon. The Irish have to keep improving and if they start winning big , anything can happen.
OK Bodi…you’re crazy! Winning out would be an incredible accomplishment…doable, but really difficult. And yes, winning out would possibly be against four highly ranked teams and possibly against a top five strength of schedule for the year. All supportive Of playoff consideration. But, a Two loss independent with a loss to Marshall is not going to be selected over conference champs with one or zero losses. I know many here think the so-called New Years Day Major Bowl games mean nothing anymore, but I will be very happy with either a two or three loss season, and an invite and Win at a major bowl This year. The perfect scenario for Me would be beating a one loss Michigan on New Year’s Day!

“The perfect scenario for Me would be beating a one loss Michigan on New Year’s Day!”

yep!

Reactions: IrishMike409
It would take about 10 teams having three losses that just ain't going to happen.

Georgia and Alabama aside, and probably OSU, but everyone else would have to lose three times that are now like in the top 15.

If we win out, the chances we make the playoff are still close to 0%. I would like our odds at NY6 if 10-2. Id also take us over basically any opponent in a NY6 if we were that good to go 10-2 considering the remaining teams on our schedule. I think if we win today, against a quality team, we are on our way to 8-4 at worst. Lose this one and I fear the wheels may come off. My gut feels good about tonight. Don’t know why.

Last edited:
If we win out, the chances we make the playoff are still close to 0%. I would like our odds at NY6 if 10-2. Id also take us over basically any opponent in a NY6 if we were that good to go 10-2 considering the remaining teams on our schedule. I think if we win today, against a quality team, we are on our way to 8-4 at worst. Lose this one and I fear the wheels may come off. My gut feels good about tonight. Don’t know why.
If we go 10 and 2 we're definitely going to a NY6

Reactions: IrishMike409
It would take about 10 teams having three losses that just ain't going to happen.

Georgia and Alabama aside, and probably OSU, but everyone else would have to lose three times that are now like in the top 15.
Exactly right and a 2-loss Georgia, Alabama, and OSU would get in before ND - especially OSU since they won our matchup

Last edited:
9-3 might get ND into a NY6 bowl game. Although if there are any tiebreakers the Marshall game will sink us.

It would be ten teams with two losses

Exactly right and a 2-loss Georgia, Alabama, and OSU would get in before ND - especially OSU since won our matchup
OSU would win the tie Breaker. If Alabama and Georgia have two losses we probably pass them since our losses were early and it would depend on the Irish beating an undefeated Clemson and USC. Because if Clemson and USC both finish conference Champions and go 12 and 1---the Irish would create some buzz at the final playoff meeting.
A 10 and 2 Irish team with victories over hopefully ranked BYU, Syracuse, North Carolina, Clemson, and USC just might sqeeze them in. Still a long shot but not impossible. LSU made the Championship and won it with two losses (so there is precedent)

*** Basically I posted this after and 0 and 2 start and so many were in panic state. I saw that this team was far too talented with great leaders to lay down and die.

USC, Clemson and Syracuse are significant impediments, but, you never know, crazier things have happened !

In 1977 the National champion Irish lost to a bad ole miss team that lost to southern miss the next week. A new QB came in Joe Montana and the Irish dominated the rest of the games just like this year with Drew Pyne winning every game! Go Irish! It is like 1977 all over again!!

In 1977 the National champion Irish lost to a bad ole miss team that lost to southern miss the next week. A new QB came in Joe Montana and the Irish dominated the rest of the games just like this year with Drew Pyne winning every game! Go Irish! It is like 1977 all over again!!
Except that two losses with one coming against Marshall will be incredibly difficult to overcome.

That will be the killer when playoff talks start.
Getting past USC, Clemson and Syracuse without losing a game would seem to be beyond our reach and a 3 loos team isnt qualifying for the playoffs.

Right now our biggest hurdle is Stanford

It would take so many teams losing more games then they possibly will; this would be like winning the lottery.

Things were very different back then. For one, polls. two, ND was one of the top programs in the country at that time after Ara. Now sadly we have the rep of losing the biggest games. The annihilation of USC, wearing of the Green, and the momentum we had going made it all very unique. BUT things had to fall exactly one way for it to happen; and the odds of that were pretty long. We were ranked number 5 going into the Cotton bowl against Earl Campbell and #1 Texas. We destroyed them and that was just barely enough for us to win the final polls.

And as poor as Mississippi was that year, it was still not close to losing to Marshall this year.

Reactions: 88ND
Things were very different back then. For one, polls. two, ND was one of the top programs in the country at that time after Ara. Now sadly we have the rep of losing the biggest games. The annihilation of USC, wearing of the Green, and the momentum we had going made it all very unique. BUT things had to fall exactly one way for it to happen; and the odds of that were pretty long. We were ranked number 5 going into the Cotton bowl against Earl Campbell and #1 Texas. We destroyed them and that was just barely enough for us to win the final polls.

And as poor as Mississippi was that year, it was still not close to losing to Marshall this year.
This ☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️
We will not overcome a loss to Marshall.
No way.

If we had beat OSU and lost to Marshall we still won't be able to overcome that.

Think if you will in..2018...( I think 2018)
There was an OSU team that was putting up half a hundred every week. Haskins throwing touchdowns like crazy.
Rememer they had one bad game....not against a Marshall mind you but against Purdue.

OSU might have been able to win the title that year but that one October evening against Purdue the game was fairly lopsided...they got left out of the playoff.

This ☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️
We will not overcome a loss to Marshall.
No way.

If we had beat OSU and lost to Marshall we still won't be able to overcome that.

Think if you will in..2018...( I think 2018)
There was an OSU team that was putting up half a hundred every week. Haskins throwing touchdowns like crazy.
Rememer they had one bad game....not against a Marshall mind you but against Purdue.

OSU might have been able to win the title that year but that one October evening against Purdue the game was fairly lopsided...they got left out of the playoff.
If we went 11 and 1 with our loss to Marshall but beating possibly the big 10, acc and pac champs we would be in

If we went 11 and 1 with our loss to Marshall but beating possibly the big 10, acc and pac champs we would be in
I think rivals needs a kid's table for you.
The thread is about us still having a chance with two losses.

I said OSU who lit up every team but one evening against a Purdue team...not a MARSHALL...and finished with only one loss didn't get an invite.

We are NOT getting an invite.

I think rivals needs a kid's table for you.
The thread is about us still having a chance with two losses.

I said OSU who lit up every team but one evening against a Purdue team...not a MARSHALL...and finished with only one loss didn't get an invite.

We are NOT getting an invite.
No shit we arent. You didn't have to write a story to make that easy point. You dope

You made a statement if we had beat osu and lost to marshall we still couldn't overcome that.

That part was wrong

No non SEC 2 loss team with one loss being Marshall is getting in the playoff. Us running the table is possible but unlikely. 9-3 would be a good season after starting 0-2.

ADVERTISEMENT