ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame and a conference... what happens

if they joined a conference and lost that uniqueness what happens with the fans....

• They GAIN fans and following....

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • They LOSE fans and following.....

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Nothing changes whatsoever......

Votes: 21 58.3%

• Total voters

88ND

I've posted how many times?
Sep 9, 2013
Forget the money nonsense and playoff stuff. We don't really know how much ND nets with TV and all things related. The playoff .. if ND is deserving of a post season they will NOT be excluded in lieu of any independence.
That's just fact.

All that said from a fan point of view one of the big things.. to some the biggest thing and possibly most attractive is being independent.

Being able to deny the trendy rhetoric of everyone joining and or changing conferences like changing socks. It seems like every other year teams are changing conferences and of course the talking heads acting like ND MUST join a conference. All that talk is nothing more than sour grapes that ND marches to the beat of it's own drum.

My question is if they joined a conference and lost that uniqueness what happens with the fans....

Reactions: Kelso86
Because we were never in a situation where other schools we play and recruit against are getting double the revenue we would be getting.

If you don't think that's a recipe for mediocrity long term we'll just have to disagree.

Beyond that-----why would any of the schools in these Power Conferences schedule us ? They have enough tough opponents in conference . They won't need us.

That will effect our path to the Playoffs regardless what they look like in 5 years.

The college landscape will look like the NFL soon.

2 Conference with multiple divisions in each.

Think AFC and NFC

Divisions
East
West
North
South

Forget the money nonsense and playoff stuff. We don't really know how much ND nets with TV and all things related. The playoff .. if ND is deserving of a post season they will NOT be excluded in lieu of any independence.
That's just fact.

All that said from a fan point of view one of the big things.. to some the biggest thing and possibly most attractive is being independent.

Being able to deny the trendy rhetoric of everyone joining and or changing conferences like changing socks. It seems like every other year teams are changing conferences and of course the talking heads acting like ND MUST join a conference. All that talk is nothing more than sour grapes that ND marches to the beat of it's own drum.

My question is if they joined a conference and lost that uniqueness what happens with the fans....
Question is -- if THAT HAPPENS, are YOU going anywhere?

I seriously doubt it.

62.5% of your poll respondents as of this writing believe nothing changes -- I among them. In politics, 60% is usually the COMMON SENSE majority for most things mildly contentious, and this is SORT OF political.

Further, if it happens, I doubt anyone will seriously care in 5 years. The young will grow into it, the middle aged will grumble if they have nothing better to do and the old won't care in the least.

It's the same as with anything. People learn to accept.

Because we were never in a situation where other schools we play and recruit against are getting double the revenue we would be getting.

If you don't think that's a recipe for mediocrity long term we'll just have to disagree.

Beyond that-----why would any of the schools in these Power Conferences schedule us ? They have enough tough opponents in conference . They won't need us.

That will effect our path to the Playoffs regardless what they look like in 5 years.
Precisely.

Why others can't see this is PERPLEXING.

And if Swarbrick also didn't see THIS SAME WRITING ON THE WALL, he wouldn't be making the guarded, slightly OMINOUS comments he's making regarding CHOOSING ONE OF TWO SOLAR SYSTEMS.

I'm sure he'd LIKE to remain independent for the DIEHARD part of the fan base and the RAH-RAH boosters, but where's the advantage as the rest of CFB steadily MODERNIZES and BETTER-MONETIZES.

ND isn't some ETERNAL PRINCIPLE that is unaffected by CHANGE.

Think AFC and NFC

Divisions
East
West
North
South
And where do you place ND in this setup?

Precisely.

And if Swarbrick also didn't see THIS SAME WRITING ON THE WALL, he wouldn't be making the guarded, slightly OMINOUS comments he's making regarding CHOOSING ONE OF TWO SOLAR SYSTEMS.

I'm sure he'd LIKE to remain independent for the DIEHARD part of the fan base and the RAH-RAH boosters, but where's the advantage as the rest of CFB steadily MODERNIZES and BETTER-MONETIZES.

Regurgitate.

Over and Over and Over.

Not bored enough to do anything except ask how many moronic threads are we going to have on the same stupid subject?

I largely said this earlier in the thread. Big Ten schools will be making more than $100million per season in roughly a couple years. I couldn't find precise numbers for what ND makes with NBC, but it has to only be a fraction of that. I mean the ACC makes less than half of what the Big 10 and SEC members do, and I'm sure Notre Dame makes less than the ACC teams do. It just doesn't seem right that Rutgers, Illinois, Purdue, and Indiana can each make 100-120 million $ a year while Notre Dame is making somewhere in the 25-40 million $ a year ballpark.

As for scheduling, I don't know how much it will affect ND. I think the Big 10 will stick with 9 conference games with the additions of USC/UCLA and probably scrap divisions. I could see the SEC going to 9 conference games now too. I think from a scheduling and future playoff standpoint, ND is completely fine.

But what is their future if they remain independent? They will make a fraction of what 32 other programs are making. They'll make almost every playoff in an expanded playoff, but if the new playoffs have some stipulations like byes for conference winners and all that, that could push ND to join a conference. I think it will just come down to strictly money. Is being independent worth the paycut. And I haven't even brought up NIL yet. What happens when the 2 major conferences start using those big paychecks for recruiting directly (we all know it's coming), that could put ND at a massive disadvantage in football and basketball.

Think AFC and NFC

Divisions
East
West
North
South
I think this is clearly what the commissioners of the Big 10 and SEC envision. The question remains whether the remaining three conferences can cobble together a Conference that is capable of competing with these two on the field and with TV revenue, and fan interest, and I seriously doubt this.

I’ve been of the opinion, long before these conference shake ups, that ND will lose much of it’s national appeal as my generation passes on. Just anecdotal, but nearly everyone of my generation among relatives are avid ND fans, and I can say this of perhaps only half of our offspring, and less so for theirs. Winning breeds fans for sure, and if ND were to become NC multiple times, I’m sure they would continue to have a great national brand. Jack has been pretty clear in saying ND needs a viable path to compete for the NC, needs a national schedule that reinforces its national brand, needs flexibility to retain special rivalry games. I would add that ND football needs to be financially competitive as well. I just think the national brand and appeal of ND is at a very high level currently, and will likely diminish over the next two decades, and either Jack or his successor will achieve his stated goals by joining a conference at the opportune time, as I fear these cannot be realized staying Independent in the LONG term.

The sky is falling the sky is falling

I largely said this earlier in the thread. Big Ten schools will be making more than $100million per season in roughly a couple years. I couldn't find precise numbers for what ND makes with NBC, but it has to only be a fraction of that. I mean the ACC makes less than half of what the Big 10 and SEC members do, and I'm sure Notre Dame makes less than the ACC teams do. It just doesn't seem right that Rutgers, Illinois, Purdue, and Indiana can each make 100-120 million $ a year while Notre Dame is making somewhere in the 25-40 million $ a year ballpark.

As for scheduling, I don't know how much it will affect ND. I think the Big 10 will stick with 9 conference games with the additions of USC/UCLA and probably scrap divisions. I could see the SEC going to 9 conference games now too. I think from a scheduling and future playoff standpoint, ND is completely fine.

But what is their future if they remain independent? They will make a fraction of what 32 other programs are making. They'll make almost every playoff in an expanded playoff, but if the new playoffs have some stipulations like byes for conference winners and all that, that could push ND to join a conference. I think it will just come down to strictly money. Is being independent worth the paycut. And I haven't even brought up NIL yet. What happens when the 2 major conferences start using those big paychecks for recruiting directly (we all know it's coming), that could put ND at a massive disadvantage in football and basketball.
Yawn

That's just fact.

Exposure of the ND brand is priceless, and that's what the TV rights give them. Currently they are on TV for every single home game, that's at minimum 6 games per year. They are usually on TV for most road games as well.

Now let's say ND joins a conference, giving up their TV rights. They are now at the mercy of the conference and their tv contract. If they are at home playing Navy, or some OOC MAC team there's a good chance those games are no longer televised. If they are in the BIG 10, games against Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Northwestern, etc. won't be televised, unless one of those teams is having a great season and it's a ranked matchup, but for the most part those games are not being televised. ND is now nationally televised maybe 2-3 times max, vs currently 8-9 games per year.

I'm sure you can get the college package, but now everyone's paying extra to watch ND football, where currently you can literally watch the home games for FREE

If a true COST/BENEFIT analysis is done STRICTLY on the basis of money, I can't see any scenario where the BENEFITS OF INDEPENDENCE outweigh the LOST OPPORTUNITY COSTS of joining a conference.

And if it's a PURE BUSINESS DECISION with the intent of KEEPING THE PROGRAM COMPETITIVE as per the reasons and challenges you cite, I can't see how joining a conference is anything but a no-brainer.

As it is, NO ONE is making a strong ECONOMIC CASE for independence. It's merely fast-becoming a LOST CAUSE RALLYING POINT for LAST-DITCHERS, BIG-TEN HATERS, DEAD-ENDERS and OVER-IDENTIFIERS with ND success CIRCA 1949.

I think this is clearly what the commissioners of the Big 10 and SEC envision. The question remains whether the remaining three conferences can cobble together a Conference that is capable of competing with these two on the field and with TV revenue, and fan interest, and I seriously doubt this.

I’ve been of the opinion, long before these conference shake ups, that ND will lose much of it’s national appeal as my generation passes on. Just anecdotal, but nearly everyone of my generation among relatives are avid ND fans, and I can say this of perhaps only half of our offspring, and less so for theirs. Winning breeds fans for sure, and if ND were to become NC multiple times, I’m sure they would continue to have a great national brand. Jack has been pretty clear in saying ND needs a viable path to compete for the NC, needs a national schedule that reinforces its national brand, needs flexibility to retain special rivalry games. I would add that ND football needs to be financially competitive as well. I just think the national brand and appeal of ND is at a very high level currently, and will likely diminish over the next two decades, and either Jack or his successor will achieve his stated goals by joining a conference at the opportune time, as I fear these cannot be realized staying Independent in the LONG term.
Well reasoned and HONESTLY PUT.

Someone had to say it, right? The generational decline in interest.

As I've been arguing, once ND joins a conference, WITHIN FIVE YEARS' TIME -- coupled with us graybeards passing on -- it's not going to devastate ANYONE. In fact, it very well could seriously hurt ND if it's NOT ALIGNED by then with SOME POTENT GROUP.

What you're talking about is BRAND/CAPITAL DEPLETION over the last 35 years with the ASCENT OF BAMA and others and ZERO NC's for ND.

Something has to -- AND WILL -- give.

Last edited:
Exposure of the ND brand is priceless, and that's what the TV rights give them. Currently they are on TV for every single home game, that's at minimum 6 games per year. They are usually on TV for most road games as well.

Now let's say ND joins a conference, giving up their TV rights. They are now at the mercy of the conference and their tv contract. If they are at home playing Navy, or some OOC MAC team there's a good chance those games are no longer televised. If they are in the BIG 10, games against Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Northwestern, etc. won't be televised, unless one of those teams is having a great season and it's a ranked matchup, but for the most part those games are not being televised. ND is now nationally televised maybe 2-3 times max, vs currently 8-9 games per year.

I'm sure you can get the college package, but now everyone's paying extra to watch ND football, where currently you can literally watch the home games for FREE
If I'm ND and inclined to join a conference -- again, IF -- I don't think I'll reverse field and give up the extra $70 million in TV money just so that the average fan's cable bill doesn't go up. Ticket prices have climbed exponentially for years, and no team has done ANYTHING to protect the "consumer" there. Colleges are in it for the revenues and the things that money PAYS FOR.

Whatever the traffic will bear. It's hard-core business.

Funny you say that because honestly unless they're steaming on a peacock doing that network a solid...all the games are on national tv.
Even when they play away....the networks WANT the ND game. No matter...Navy, Va Tech, etc etc...Pitt or Army or Rice....

CBS, FOX. ABC, ESPN...they WANT ND on.

Again....the brand is ND.
The conference is ND.

They don't need a god damn conference!!

Reactions: NDinNJ
Funny you say that because honestly unless they're steaming on a peacock doing that network a solid...all the games are on national tv.
Even when they play away....the networks WANT the ND game. No matter...Navy, Va Tech, etc etc...Pitt or Army or Rice....

CBS, FOX. ABC, ESPN...they WANT ND on.

Again....the brand is ND.
The conference is ND.

They don't need a god damn conference!!

You can’t mske some of this garbage up.

LMAO.

If a true COST/BENEFIT analysis is done STRICTLY on the basis of money, I can't see any scenario where the BENEFITS OF INDEPENDENCE outweigh the LOST OPPORTUNITY COSTS of joining a conference.

And if it's a PURE BUSINESS DECISION with the intent of KEEPING THE PROGRAM COMPETITIVE as per the reasons and challenges you cite, I can't see how joining a conference is anything but a no-brainer.

As it is, NO ONE is making a strong ECONOMIC CASE for independence. It's merely fast-becoming a LOST CAUSE RALLYING POINT for LAST-DITCHERS, BIG-TEN HATERS, DEAD-ENDERS and OVER-IDENTIFIERS with ND success CIRCA 1949.
Well reasoned and HONESTLY PUT.

Someone had to say it, right? The generational decline in interest.

As I've been arguing, once ND joins a conference, WITHIN FIVE YEARS' TIME -- coupled with us graybeards passing on -- it's not going to devastate ANYONE. In fact, it very well could seriously hurt ND if it's NOT ALIGNED by then with SOME POTENT GROUP.

What you're talking about is BRAND/CAPITAL DEPLETION over the last 35 years with the ASCENT OF BAMA and others and ZERO NC's for ND.

Something has to -- AND WILL -- give.
If I'm ND and inclined to join a conference -- again, IF -- I don't think I'll reverse field and give up the extra $70 million in TV money just so that the average fan's cable bill doesn't go up. Ticket prices have climbed exponentially for years, and no team has done ANYTHING to protect the "consumer" there. Colleges are in it for the revenues and the things that money PAYS FOR.

Whatever the traffic will bear. It's hard-core business.
Yawn.

• Haha
Reactions: NDinNJ

I grew up in Catholic in West Michigan, and I have innumerable friends and family that have attended Notre Dame, Michigan, and Michigan State, or are just fans of one of those schools. I attended Northwestern, and Michigan State for grad school. I came poking around here just to see what the general sentiment is among ND fans.

That being said, I think your fears are unfounded. Being a Northwestern fan, I have never not been able to see a Northwestern football game on television, and that is Northwestern (smallest fan base in the Big Ten). ND has a very large fan base, and the major television broadcasters will want to carry those games. Even in the few instances where they may not be carried on a large broadcaster, the Big Ten Network does a great job in their broadcasts.

On a personal note, I would love to see ND in the Big Ten, but I don't think they need to join a conference to continue to be successful, and I don't think the Big Ten needs ND football. I do think it would be mutually beneficial for both monetarily, but not necessary for either. I do think it would be hugely beneficial for all the other athletic programs at ND, but we all know football is what drives these decisions.

I also don't think the idea of ND being regionalized if they joined the Big Ten or any conference are something that should hold them back. If they are good, they will be nationally recognized. I don't think OSU is regionalized, and the same for Michigan, even though Michigan has been mediocre for a number of years, with the exception of last year. I think the regionalization idea is also even less likely to occur with the addition of USC and UCLA.

You're incredibly naive if you think that's the case.
You're incredibly small minded if you think it was. If we were motivated by money we'd be in a conference already.

And we'd be jumping to the big 10 right now.

Is not all about money and never has been. Notre Dame values their independence and uniqueness and will continue to do so. Unless it costs them a seat at the playoff table

Every Big Ten game of every lower tier Big Ten team you just named has been televised. It’s contractual through our TV partners.

To think that the Big Ten would have televised every Rutgers game since they joined the Conference, which they have, and not televise Notre Dame is just pure nonsense.

I wish they could remain independent but it definitely hurts them in terms of BCS. They have to go unbeaten or very early loss to gain entry. The powers @ be coupled with espn bias against them, I think it’s time to join a conference. ACC imo

I just think it's simply a matter of remaining an independent until it's no longer in their best interest financially to do so.
I think it's about being able to schedule good schedules and compete for championships. As soon as being independent becomes an impediment to those things, then I won't be for maintaining independence.

Unless it costs them a seat at the playoff table

Will never happen. Freeman might not coach them to a good enough status but they won't miss out on a playoff because of it's independence.

I think it's about being able to schedule good schedules and compete for championships. As soon as being independent becomes an impediment to those things, then I won't be for maintaining independence.
Won't happen.

Matter of fact it will be easier for ND to get marquee games.

Teams have been issued promotion to have more crossover conference games....in other words meaningful out of conference games.

Teams will be lining up in droves to get ND on it's schedule.

Funny how things come full circle. Conferences get bigger yet they play less conference games.

ND will have no trouble filling a schedule

Precisely.

You are right … and Swarbrick is trying to hold his asset until the absolute peak of the market which is a little tricky. He’s going to make the best deal and anyone who says ND is not concerned with the money is extremely naive.

independence is not what makes ND special … it’s far deeper than that … it’s merely a manifestation.

I wish they could remain independent but it definitely hurts them in terms of BCS. They have to go unbeaten or very early loss to gain entry. The powers @ be coupled with espn bias against them, I think it’s time to join a conference. ACC imo
Same as every other team

I always ask people if the 13 colonies would have made more money staying out in the British Empire.

Won't happen.

Matter of fact it will be easier for ND to get marquee games.

Teams have been issued promotion to have more crossover conference games....in other words meaningful out of conference games.

Teams will be lining up in droves to get ND on it's schedule.

Funny how things come full circle. Conferences get bigger yet they play less conference games.

ND will have no trouble filling a schedule

You're right

Enjoy watching us play a schedule of non power teams.

“...every league covets Notre Dame...”

Smart people everywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT