ADVERTISEMENT

Note to ND Die Hards

There is no great attraction to coach at ND? I call bullshit on that. So if an elite coach came to ND and restored the program to past successes, the glory and adoration of that wouldn’t be an attraction to any of them? That’s very telling that there’s not one of them that wouldn’t want to restore the most storied program in the sport’s history. Kelly made it to the title game and was a win at Stanford away from possibly making the final four twice. The restrictions aren’t so bad that ND can’t make it back to the top for there to be no interest from the elites. And if that is the case (that they don’t wanna deal w/ the “handicaps”), then the profession lacks balls, IMO.

There is no great attraction to coach at ND? I call bullshit on that. So if an elite coach came to ND and restored the program to past successes, the glory and adoration of that wouldn’t be an attraction to any of them? That’s very telling that there’s not one of them that wouldn’t want to restore the most storied program in the sport’s history. Kelly made it to the title game and was a win at Stanford away from possibly making the final four twice. The restrictions aren’t so bad that ND can’t make it back to the top for there to be no interest from the elites. And if that is the case (that they don’t wanna deal w/ the “handicaps”), then the profession lacks balls, IMO.
certainly not the attractive job it used to be. hasn't been for years. sad for me to feel that way too.

Notre Dame is still an attractive job. I'm not sure Notre Dame needs an elite coach. Was Lou Holtz an elite coach when he came from Minnesota? That's debatable. It would be nice to get Urban, Nick or Dabo here, but that probably won't happen. I don't think it needs to happen either. Brian Kelly has proven you can win at Notre Dame given the restrictions it has that other schools don't have. However, Kelly has not been able to climb the mountain, that is, win a national championship or get his team into the new college football playoff. The question is why. He has won some big games, like USC this year, but I maintain that the closer he gets to the Holy Grail, the more the pressure gets to him and he can't complete the mission. It happens. Unfortunately, it happened this year against two teams that Notre Dame should have beaten (Miami and Stanford). I think the Irish can find a coach who can come in and recruit the talent that can win big games, get into the playoffs and win a national championship. Probably not every year, but once every decade would be nice. Don't ask me who that person is because I don't know. It's not my day job. But that person exists and is waiting for the chance. Lou Holtz got his chance and ran with it. This isn't mission impossible. The powers that be at Notre Dame can find that person when the time comes or consult with someone who can find that person.

Notre Dame is still an attractive job. I'm not sure Notre Dame needs an elite coach. Was Lou Holtz an elite coach when he came from Minnesota? That's debatable. It would be nice to get Urban, Nick or Dabo here, but that probably won't happen. I don't think it needs to happen either. Brian Kelly has proven you can win at Notre Dame given the restrictions it has that other schools don't have. However, Kelly has not been able to climb the mountain, that is, win a national championship or get his team into the new college football playoff. The question is why. He has won some big games, like USC this year, but I maintain that the closer he gets to the Holy Grail, the more the pressure gets to him and he can't complete the mission. It happens. Unfortunately, it happened this year against two teams that Notre Dame should have beaten (Miami and Stanford). I think the Irish can find a coach who can come in and recruit the talent that can win big games, get into the playoffs and win a national championship. Probably not every year, but once every decade would be nice. Don't ask me who that person is because I don't know. It's not my day job. But that person exists and is waiting for the chance. Lou Holtz got his chance and ran with it. This isn't mission impossible. The powers that be at Notre Dame can find that person when the time comes or consult with someone who can find that person.
did the pressure on kelly cause wimbush to throw an interception and cj sanders to fumble on a kickoff return ? there's your stanford game. miami was just a stinker. went downhill after wimbush missed a wide open st. brown for a td on the first drive. who knows how the game plays out had they scored there. i have to think its quite different.

You can mark this post and check back at a later date. Urban Meyer will be ND's next coach. And he's gonna kill it.

You can mark this post and check back at a later date. Urban Meyer will be ND's next coach. And he's gonna kill it.
would be great. will never happen unless the administration changes their philosophy towards the football program.

did the pressure on kelly cause wimbush to throw an interception and cj sanders to fumble on a kickoff return ? there's your stanford game. miami was just a stinker. went downhill after wimbush missed a wide open st. brown for a td on the first drive. who knows how the game plays out had they scored there. i have to think its quite different.

You coach football right. A coach cannot prevent a turnover, I get it. However, a coach can help right the ship afterwards, correct, or hasn't that happened for you in your career. Have your teams righted the ship after a play that flips the field or changes momentum? Maybe they haven't. I go back to the Miami-Wisconsin Orange Bowl game. Wasn't Wisconsin down 14-0 in that game. Did they right the ship and come back and beat Miami? I think they did. Do you think Chryst had a hand in that? Probably so. You are one of the most knowledgeable football people on the board, yet you can't stand any criticism of Kelly. As a coach, isn't it your responsibility to put things back together in a game to help your team win when things go south. The good ones can do it. Other ones cannot do it. I think Kelly is in the latter class.

You coach football right. A coach cannot prevent a turnover, I get it. However, a coach can help right the ship afterwards, correct, or hasn't that happened for you in your career. Have your teams righted the ship after a play that flips the field or changes momentum? Maybe they haven't. I go back to the Miami-Wisconsin Orange Bowl game. Wasn't Wisconsin down 14-0 in that game. Did they right the ship and come back and beat Miami? I think they did. Do you think Chryst had a hand in that? Probably so. You are one of the most knowledgeable football people on the board, yet you can't stand any criticism of Kelly. As a coach, isn't it your responsibility to put things back together in a game to help your team win when things go south. The good ones can do it. Other ones cannot do it. I think Kelly is in the latter class.
I have no problem with criticism at all. The Miami game got away early. I'm sure the staff did their best. As for Stanford they had the lead in the 4th quarter. Back to back turnovers cost them the game. What should the staff have done differently than what they did ? You act like it's a simple matter of flipping a switch. Momentum is a hard thing to change late in a game . It's not the NFL, they're young players.

Could Lou have recruited his first few classes today? And would he now that the entire SEC and a few more teams have top branding?

ADVERTISEMENT