ADVERTISEMENT

Noise Out There That Donte Vaughn Will Transfer

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
According to Twitter. Waiting to see this confirmed but it looks like Vaughn will transfer, opening up another scholarship. It looks like Boykin, Bracy, Crawford and Brown will battle for the starting CB spot opposite Troy Pride.

I suspect the Irish will be just fine here. Todd Lyght does a nice job with his corners!

Edit: nothing 100% confirmed yet, but as soon as I see something reputable, I'll post it.

Edit #2: Received information that suggests that the Vaughn transfer noise may not be legitimate.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcswoopnh
I wonder if Griffith will get a look too. I could see ND starting him at CB and being the #1 FS backup. Griffith is too good to be on the sideline.

That's a bit of a shame if true. As bad as he was this year it wasn't because he lacked talent. Living up to it would have made the defense better next year.

That is a big maybe though, so hopefully a change of scenery focuses him.

From a position of strength to a very big question mark.

I don’t know, we’ve recruited pretty well at this position and have talent that needs to start develop8ng and producing. Noth8ng against Vaughn but obviously a reason he feels the need to transfer.

You can't be serious...who do you think we would be better off with?
Well there has to be a defensive back on the roster that actually wants to try and tackle.

Let's start there.

Well there has to be a defensive back on the roster that actually wants to try and tackle.

Let's start there.
Are you basing that on his very obvious, very poor effort tackle one game? Or the entire seasons worth of effort?

No, he wasn't as good as Love as a tackler. But (assuming tackling is the issue) he has a much better chance of becoming a better tackler before next season than any of the options behind him have of reaching his level as a cover corner next season.

Dante Vaughn didn't really miss tackles against Clemson. Careful what you wish for.

Teams are in the Nickel so much nowadays he will practically be a starter.
Assuming you're talking about Griffith starting at nickel corner in that package, I don't think that's a good fit for Griffith. Nickel corners cover slot WRs and it's best to have smaller lighting quick corners to cover them. That makes Crawford and Bracy the likely corners to man that spot. Griffith is bigger and this better suited to cover the outside WRs. ND tried Griffith at nickel corner and it didn't come with the best results. Losing Crawford was huge and made nickel corner the weakest position on the defense.

Are you basing that on his very obvious, very poor effort tackle one game? Or the entire seasons worth of effort?

No, he wasn't as good as Love as a tackler. But (assuming tackling is the issue) he has a much better chance of becoming a better tackler before next season than any of the options behind him have of reaching his level as a cover corner next season.

Dante Vaughn didn't really miss tackles against Clemson. Careful what you wish for.
Half our secondary could compete with anyone.(Gilman, Love) The other 50 percent I'll dissect IN two.
Elliot at strong saftey was OK. Didnt make any spectacular plays but didn't miss easy opportunities either.

The corner was by comittee and the comittee was second rate. That's being generous.

Alligator arm tackle attempts...poor ball skills etc.

Half our secondary could compete with anyone.(Gilman, Love) The other 50 percent I'll dissect IN two.
Elliot at strong saftey was OK. Didnt make any spectacular plays but didn't miss easy opportunities either.

The corner was by comittee and the comittee was second rate. That's being generous.

The other corner was not ever by committee, which I've spelled correctly for you here, but was 100% by Troy pride. Any playing time by other players was due to injury. And as some pointed out, pride played as well as anyone on the team after Navy. He got better. And will get better next year. If you say he was demoted because of his play after Navy then he came right back and established himself as the best player, taking the starting role right back.

Besides being wrong, you haven't answered either of my questions I put out there. Who do you think is going to be better than pride next year? Also, are you basing your opinion off anything other than pride having one admittedly terrible game and not looking at the whole season?

I played corner and safety in college, you have literally no idea what the **** you’re talking about.....

Elliot was solid all season and did make huge plays, he set the tone vs Syracuse. Had one of the highest pick totals from the position since Motta, was as good as you can ask one tone in coverage most of the time, and was by far the most improved player on this team...

Pride was solid all year, and we owe pride a lot of kudos because he was the weak link on our defense, and he stepped up vs clemson in big way Dabo went after him like he did our secondary in the 2nd quarter the first two drives of the game... Pride rose to the occasion and played good ball.....

Finally there are around only 120 corners in the world who have great ball skills, it’s a rare trait to have, and it’s very hard to teach a kid that....

Corner is physically the hardest position on the field to play...

I’m not sure who is bashing Pride & Elliott because I must have that person on ignore, but it’s obviously ridiculous & that person is a troll.
It's 88ND. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you have him on ignore. I believe at one point this season he said ND should some type of run oriented wing or option offense with Wimbush. But putting out there that pride should follow Vaughn out the door is pretty far out there.

Reactions: Kelso86
It's 88ND. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you have him on ignore. I believe at one point this season he said ND should some type of run oriented wing or option offense with Wimbush. But putting out there that pride should follow Vaughn out the door is pretty far out there.

LOL
He wants Pride to go?
If you listen to the Clemson coaches & players they said they liked the matchups against Bama’s secondary better than ND’s. If you watch the game when both Pride & Love were playing, Clemson struggled.
Pride is a huge competitor. He felt angry at himself after a bad performance & really turned it up the rest of the way. He will be key next season to the defense.
And it looks like Vaughn isn’t going anywhere.

LOL
He wants Pride to go?
If you listen to the Clemson coaches & players they said they liked the matchups against Bama’s secondary better than ND’s. If you watch the game when both Pride & Love were playing, Clemson struggled.
Pride is a huge competitor. He felt angry at himself after a bad performance & really turned it up the rest of the way. He will be key next season to the defense.
And it looks like Vaughn isn’t going anywhere.

Pride will play on Sunday IMO--------88 can buy a ticket and watch him.

Let’s be completely honest here. Pride was pretty damn solid ALL year minus 1-2 plays. That’s it. If there’s more CB’s out there with that success rate, sign them up. Clemson stopped trying to go at him almost immediately. They couldn’t do shit through the air until Julian went out. That’s the damn truth.

I played corner and safety in college, you have literally no idea what the **** you’re talking about.....

Elliot was solid all season and did make huge plays, he set the tone vs Syracuse. Had one of the highest pick totals from the position since Motta, was as good as you can ask one tone in coverage most of the time, and was by far the most improved player on this team...

Pride was solid all year, and we owe pride a lot of kudos because he was the weak link on our defense, and he stepped up vs clemson in big way Dabo went after him like he did our secondary in the 2nd quarter the first two drives of the game... Pride rose to the occasion and played good ball.....

Finally there are around only 120 corners in the world who have great ball skills, it’s a rare trait to have, and it’s very hard to teach a kid that....

Don't question 88ND.... he is qualified to be a D1 football AD, Head Coach, recruiting coordinator as well as NBA talent scout. If you do not believe me, just ask him.... he will gladly tell you how much he thinks he knows.

We don't need a CB that can tackle nearly as much as we need one that can cover world class receivers. Pride is literally the closest thing this team has to that. Hope he gets there next year.

According to Twitter. Waiting to see this confirmed but it looks like Vaughn will transfer, opening up another scholarship. It looks like Boykin, Bracy, Crawford and Brown will battle for the starting CB spot opposite Troy Pride.

I suspect the Irish will be just fine here. Todd Lyght does a nice job with his corners!

Edit: nothing 100% confirmed yet, but as soon as I see something reputable, I'll post it.

Edit #2: Received information that suggests that the Vaughn transfer noise may not be legitimate.

THEN WHY POST AN UNSUBSTANTIATED RUMOR THAT CAN BE HARMFUL ?

THEN WHY POST AN UNSUBSTANTIATED RUMOR THAT CAN BE HARMFUL ?

Relax. No need to be a Nancy. I never claimed anything to be fact, nor am I a journalist that is supposed to have any kind of print integrity. I simply posted what had been rumored and systematically updated the initial post as the information evolved.

Why the faux outrage?

Who exactly is twitter anyhow? A bunch of anonymous dweebs or knowledgeable professionals with integrity the size of the Grand Canyon? Could never figure that out.

Who exactly is twitter anyhow? A bunch of anonymous dweebs or knowledgeable professionals with integrity the size of the Grand Canyon? Could never figure that out.

Both... Which is the problem. Far too often legitimate news is broken via Twitter and other forms of social media today and far too often the information is bogus. The same can be said, however, of more traditional news sources that actively push their agenda, falsify claims without remorse, and retract stories and articles without significant consequence.

It's the 24 hour news cycle that we live in... The internet age has exacerbated the quantity of information that is relayed and the speed at which it spreads... Simultaneously, it has created the unintended (for the most part) repercussion of more untrue, unfounded, exaggerated, misinformed, misleading and misinterpreted information being disseminated.

Fwiw, you yourself said Pride was the weak link on the defense. Perhaps he steps up a few notches and becomes a strong link on the team next year, but as it stands now, as you have said, he was/is the weak link on the defense. I see no reason to say "you don't know what the f*ck you're talking about", when you have both identified the same weak link, and a SS in Elliot who played pretty ok.

88ND seems to put some thought into his posts, takes the time to articulate them, and I rarely see him lashing at others, as others lash out at him.

I do understand how his poignant statements ruffle feathers though.

*edit, I think Bracy becomes our best all-around corner. He needs to add 10lbs in the off-season though.

Relax. No need to be a Nancy. I never claimed anything to be fact, nor am I a journalist that is supposed to have any kind of print integrity. I simply posted what had been rumored and systematically updated the initial post as the information evolved.

Why the faux outrage?

Because it’s irresponsible and reckless of you.

You promoted a rumor that could be harmful, and that’s irresponsible.

What were you hoping to accomplish by posting an unsubstantiated rumor that could be harmful to others ?

Because it’s irresponsible and reckless of you.

You promoted a rumor that could be harmful, and that’s irresponsible.

What were you hoping to accomplish by posting an unsubstantiated rumor that could be harmful to others ?

Nobody is being harmed and I wasn't trying to accomplish anything other than relaying information that I kept updating, and ehich turned out to be incorrect.

Again, stop being so easily offended.

Last edited:
Both... Which is the problem. Far too often legitimate news is broken via Twitter and other forms of social media today and far too often the information is bogus. The same can be said, however, of more traditional news sources that actively push their agenda, falsify claims without remorse, and retract stories and articles without significant consequence.

It's the 24 hour news cycle that we live in... The internet age has exacerbated the quantity of information that is relayed and the speed at which it spreads... Simultaneously, it has created the unintended (for the most part) repercussion of more untrue, unfounded, exaggerated, misinformed, misleading and misinterpreted information being disseminated.

Look at the Covington Catholic Kid who was maligned by keyboard warriors and large so called news bureaus. Latter found out the info was false

Fwiw, you yourself said Pride was the weak link on the defense. Perhaps he steps up a few notches and becomes a strong link on the team next year, but as it stands now, as you have said, he was/is the weak link on the defense. I see no reason to say "you don't know what the f*ck you're talking about", when you have both identified the same weak link, and a SS in Elliot who played pretty ok.

88ND seems to put some thought into his posts, takes the time to articulate them, and I rarely see him lashing at others, as others lash out at him.

I do understand how his poignant statements ruffle feathers though.

*edit, I think Bracy becomes our best all-around corner. He needs to add 10lbs in the off-season though.

Being the weak link doesn’t make you a bad player........... it just means your the most vulnerable spot...

Being the weak link doesn’t make you a bad player........... it just means your the most vulnerable spot...

How was he most vulnerable? The Nickel was the most vulnerable in coverage by far. And the Rover was the most vulnerable on the defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT