ADVERTISEMENT

Nightmare at Colorado

beachcardinal

All Star
Jan 30, 2006
The Athletic: What happens to Colorado’s unwanted commitments? It was a huge mess.

“It was hectic,” Mott said. “It was a huge mess. I actually never got contacted by Deion or any of his new (on-field) staff. I got called. They told me that coach Deion didn’t want to honor my commitment and hung up the phone. I was in a group chat with all the other commits and they were all I guess freaking out, too, because a lot of us had our options closed for months now being committed to Colorado. So we hadn’t reached out to any school. It was a whole big deal.”

“When Coach Dorrell was fired, (George) had said we were going to have our scholarship offers honored,” said Turner, who reportedly pushed away interest from Florida State because he was set on playing at Colorado. “I was surprised when I got the call. It was so late in the recruiting process. I wish I was told earlier.”

• Sad
Reactions: Raymond G
The Athletic: What happens to Colorado’s unwanted commitments? It was a huge mess.

“It was hectic,” Mott said. “It was a huge mess. I actually never got contacted by Deion or any of his new (on-field) staff. I got called. They told me that coach Deion didn’t want to honor my commitment and hung up the phone. I was in a group chat with all the other commits and they were all I guess freaking out, too, because a lot of us had our options closed for months now being committed to Colorado. So we hadn’t reached out to any school. It was a whole big deal.”

“When Coach Dorrell was fired, (George) had said we were going to have our scholarship offers honored,” said Turner, who reportedly pushed away interest from Florida State because he was set on playing at Colorado. “I was surprised when I got the call. It was so late in the recruiting process. I wish I was told earlier.”
Beach, CFB is in the gutter. Prime time is going full throttle to bring a title to Colorado. Hired mercenaries, kids sitting out bowls, and nil cash. Btw Beach I hope Bush gets his heisman back.

Beach, CFB is in the gutter. Prime time is going full throttle to bring a title to Colorado. Hired mercenaries, kids sitting out bowls, and nil cash. Btw Beach I hope Bush gets his heisman back.
It is funny that a USC guy is calling out Colorado. Maybe beach is feeling threatened by Prime.

USC will always beat ND as long as Riley is there. Let’s be real here. CU will beat USC several times with Deion in Boulder.

Last edited:

Overreaction … they have until February and better they know and don’t sign and then regret it. Lincoln Riley did the same thing and it seems to have worked out ok for most.

So where are all the activists demanding that these kids, some who NEED the schollie to get a chance at college….protesting against Prime? Hmmmm…

It his funny that a USC guy is calling out Colorado. Maybe beach is feeling threatened by Prime.

USC will always beat ND as long as Riley is there. Let’s be real here. CU will beat USC several times with Deion in Boulder.
USC is leaving the Pac... or haven't you heard?

Reactions: BGI User 756
NOT IN A MILLION YEARS !

UNLESS YOU FAVOR REWARDING CHEATERS !

Reactions: NDinNJ
I agree cfb is going downhill quickly and I hope Reggie gets his award back as well.

Reactions: HarlemIrish
It his funny that a USC guy is calling out Colorado. Maybe beach is feeling threatened by Prime.

or maybe he is objectively relating a bit of news!

I don't expect SC will pay Colorado many times in the future, so I don't think that is "being real". I also don't know why I would be threated buy a team we will probably play once more. Otherwise, great post.

oh, and what I did was quote an article from the athletic.

Ugly if this is how it played out, but this seems a bit hyperbolic. Also, I’m not sure if it was the coaching or players, but Colorado looked like a high Div. III team with betting like giving them routinely 35 and 40 points against everybody.

Most of these commits will be fine. They’ll land somewhere, CU is about as bad as a d-1 program there is, they might end up at MAC or D2 schools but I doubt they’ll be slinging burgers somewhere next year.

Reactions: Raymond G

It's really disappointing on Deion's part. He claimed to be a change agent on behalf of helping young men become productive men in our society. Throwing 18yos out of their commitment is poor leadership on his part, and I hope it comes back to bite him hard.

Reactions: BGI User 756
A title to Colorado....Lol
Yep...they got one before you were born and beat us in the Orange bowl to split one with Ga Tech.
Matter of fact their's is more recent than ours so there's that.

Reactions: Chitown11

Lol... Riley will lose in SB next year... so will Ohio state

Reactions: NDinNJ and sluggo69

I doubt that Deion made those decisions in a vacuum.
I would have to believe that Todd Saliman and perhaps the Chancellor’s had to approve decisions of that nature.

I don’t approve of a university reneging on a commitment just as much as I don’t approve of a player reneging on their commitment.

But it’s a different world today and standing by your word seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Commitment, character and integrity should never go out of vogue !

They did win the AP title, but they were one of the least deserving ever IMO. They finished 10-1-1, and had their infamous 5th down win over Missouri among those wins. Also, that was a phantom penalty on Rocket's punt return.
👍

Classic. I knew Deion Sanders was going to be a scumbag. But if that's how you're gonna roll, might as well be up front about it and clear everyone out in one big sweep. At least he's got that going for him. He's not trying to be clever about it.....

Reactions: wi_hoosier
They did win the AP title, but they were one of the least deserving ever IMO. They finished 10-1-1, and had their infamous 5th down win over Missouri among those wins. Also, that was a phantom penalty on Rocket's punt return.
I agree on the penalty.

Reactions: mbd11
Overreaction … they have until February and better they know and don’t sign and then regret it. Lincoln Riley did the same thing and it seems to have worked out ok for most.
Apparently Deion Sanders has some big plans for CU football. I don't know if I'd call them a sleeping giant, but they definitely can do better than they've been doing. Nevertheless, most coaches, upon taking some new job don't do what DS is doing. Not just because it's a scumbag thing to do, but because it's not practical, and that's now how you build a wining program.

But I guess in the age of the transfer portal maybe he figures he really can completely replace and transform the roster en bloc.....

I doubt that Deion made those decisions in a vacuum.
I would have to believe that Todd Saliman and perhaps the Chancellor’s had to approve decisions of that nature.

I don’t approve of a university reneging on a commitment just as much as I don’t approve of a player reneging on their commitment.

But it’s a different world today and standing by your word seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Commitment, character and integrity should never go out of vogue !
Amen to that

Lol... Riley will lose in SB next year... so will Ohio state
Let's hope you're right.

Moreover I hope MF get's the upper hand on USC more than not.

About the only positive BK did was dominate USC. They weren't the Pete Carroll version but still many athletes and he owned that rivalry.

Some things just happen like that.
John Cooper having the greatest 1 loss teams ever. Just couldn't beat Michigan.

Reactions: Kelso86
It's really disappointing on Deion's part. He claimed to be a change agent on behalf of helping young men become productive men in our society. Throwing 18yos out of their commitment is poor leadership on his part, and I hope it comes back to bite him hard.
Really? You got that vibe from him? All I saw was egocentric hustla. Same as always with that guy.

Reactions: 88ND and Kelso86
Apparently Deion Sanders has some big plans for CU football. I don't know if I'd call them a sleeping giant, but they definitely can do better than they've been doing. Nevertheless, most coaches, upon taking some new job don't do what DS is doing. Not just because it's a scumbag thing to do, but because it's not practical, and that's now how you build a wining program.

But I guess in the age of the transfer portal maybe he figures he really can completely replace and transform the roster en bloc.....
All he has to do is look west at the guy who basically modeled the blueprint. Why coach when you can go in the portal for the majority of your starters?

All he has to do is look west at the guy who basically modeled the blueprint. Why coach when you can go in the portal for the majority of your starters?
Transfer players aren't coached? Do they even go to practice? If so, what do they do all day?

Lol come on, now. Weis had us getting run over by Air Force at home. Kelly completely turned around the program and left it in very good shape.
We can simply look at this how we choose....meaning what bar and what level....are you using to measure success?

CW has nothing to do with this....
but since you want to poke fun at the academies expense to say a coach did a poor job...
Brian Kelly got trucked by Navy once and lost a second one by a point. Still a loss.

All that said BK didn't win anything of note here.

Christ it took a weird Covid year playing an opponent without key cogs(TL and others) to finally beat a Top 5 team. You mean that year alone? No. Ever. Like ever in his career he has only one...and you could argue that should be an asterisk season win due to covid...just one top 5 victory in his career.

That's pretty remarkable.

Christ Gerry Faust had a better record against top ranked teams because he actually won one of them

We can simply look at this how we choose....meaning what bar and what level....are you using to measure success?

CW has nothing to do with this....
but since you want to poke fun at the academies expense to say a coach did a poor job...
Brian Kelly got trucked by Navy once and lost a second one by a point. Still a loss.

All that said BK didn't win anything of note here.

Christ it took a weird Covid year playing an opponent without key cogs(TL and others) to finally beat a Top 5 team. You mean that year alone? No. Ever. Like ever in his career he has only one...and you could argue that should be an asterisk season win due to covid...just one top 5 victory in his career.

That's pretty remarkable.

Christ Gerry Faust had a better record against top ranked teams because he actually won one of them
Well, he did win NDs only regular season conference championship. So there's that. But pretty much true.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelso86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT