ADVERTISEMENT

NFL draft 1st Round

savvyandsassier

All Star
Dec 16, 2013
JOK is seemingly a lock to go 1st round. And Liam is an outside shot, as there are a couple of notable mock drafts that have him going #31.

Day 2 is when it starts getting interesting for ND fans.

Do you think Ian Book will be drafted or sign as a Free Agent?

Interesting thing I heard today was that teams were still getting medicals from the league as late as this morning and that some of those are causing some players to tumble. The bottom of the first round may see a big shake up.

Good, that will help Liam quietly slip into the 1st round. Which as we all know would be the fourth straight ND starting LT to go first round, even in they switch to RT in the NFL.

And that's actually rather impressive. That's an Alabama level of awesomeness.

Seems pretty clear that NFL folks do not seem to watch many games, just highlight reels of different players. I would not have taken any of the Edge players in the 1st round nor most of the offensive tackles and linebaclers that were taken. Also thought the DBs, other than Surtain, did not deserve 1st round grades. I was surprised by the poor choices made; would give most teams a D or F grade for their 1st round results.

Reactions: savvyandsassier
That's bullshit, I thought JOK was a 1st-round lock!

He's just too small it would appear. He is pretty small for LB in the NFL.

Correct

Oweh from Penn St a workout freak who doesn't have a sack in his entire season gets taken over JOK

Hard to fathom that

He'll go quick today no doubt about it.

Reactions: thomas7
ND needs to pick up its draft assessments. The last 5-7 years kids are making decisions based on information that is poor at best. Kizer, Claypool, KMet Gilman and EQ. BK and the Univ has so much going right. Seems like this area could help keep kids one final season for a win-win.

ND needs to pick up its draft assessments. The last 5-7 years kids are making decisions based on information that is poor at best. Kizer, Claypool, KMet Gilman and EQ. BK and the Univ has so much going right. Seems like this area could help keep kids one final season for a win-win.
Only EQ made a poor decision. Kizer and claypool were second round (claypool didn't have elgibility left). Gilman had nothing to gain, kmet was first TE Taken.

Reactions: Golson5 and Kelso86
Is it not up to the kids themselves ? The NFL issues draft grades to underclassmen looking to move on. Can't blame any kid for wanting to get paid.

Correct

Oweh from Penn St a workout freak who doesn't have a sack in his entire season gets taken over JOK

Hard to fathom that

I was a little surprised by that one too. I expect Oweh's measurables--he is 6'5", has long arms for his height on top of that, and is freakishly fast--were what made him go ahead of JOK. Let's face it, the NFL always seems to be in love with measurables; remember Mike Mamula from BC who was a combine-stud but then had a bust NFL career? We all love JOK because we watched him for 2 years and saw him blossom into a great player for ND. I think he has the game to excel in the modern-day NFL. Somebody (I predict JAX) is going to get a great player.

In the end, it is the players final and ultimate decision to enter or not enter the draft. The coaches can only give so much information and add guidance, but ultimately, the players makes the final call.

It is absolutely mind blowing the amount of talent that Bama had this year(hell, any year). Hats off to any team that was able to give them a good fight. One of the best teams ever imho

It is absolutely mind blowing the amount of talent that Bama had this year(hell, any year). Hats off to any team that was able to give them a good fight. One of the best teams ever imho
I even found myself rooting for Barrmore to get picked late, so they'd break the record.

Bama had 6 players selected in the first 24 picks last night. That is mind boggling. I've seen studies that say there are about 3,500 players eligible for the NFL draft every year. Bama had 6 of the top 24, assuming NFL talent evaluators are correct. (And I know not everyone will agree with that.)

Let's face it, Saban has built a machine down in Tuscaloosa, and except for maybe Clemson or OSU, nobody is coming close to putting up those kinds of numbers as first round NFL picks. On top of that, watching the interviews last night, most of the players from Bama seemed to be pretty humble kids. It was easy to hate Jimmy Johnson's UM teams because most of his players were cocky a@#holes. Kind of like Jimmy himself. Hard to see Alabama not staying at or near the top of the CFB world until Saban decides to retire and go play golf.

Alabama has 6 players go Round 1, ND had none. For ND to beat Alabama, OSU and Clemson, they are going to have to turn 3.5 star players and middle round drafts picks. Into 5 star players, #1 & #2 round draft picks over 5 years.

I don't think a prima donna is going to fit very well in Saban's program. That's probably a factor in determining their RKG.

Agree. He's got a well-oiled machine at Bama. Has great assistant coaches, too. Most people think of Saban as a defensive-minded guy, but in the last 2 NFL drafts Bama had 4 WRs go in the first round. That is a lot of talent for a QB to throw to.

Last edited:
Agree. He's got a well-oiled machine at Bama. Has great assistant coaches, too. Most people think of Saban as a defensive-minded guy, but in the last 2 NFL drafts Bama had 4 WRs go in the first round. That is a lot of talent for a QB to throw to.
It's is pretty awesome how he reloads his coaching staff as well. He hires a combo of up and coming talent, coaches who need to be rehabbed, and others who are just solid coaches/recruiters.

He actually is a defensive guy. He’s admitted his favorite job is coaching DBs. But he’s had good OCs, and has adapted as the game has adjusted to a more wide open style.

Correct

Hard to fathom that

It is but it happens every year. I never understood it either. As long as a player has at least a base level of measurables past production is a much better predictor of success. And yet every year there's a player who rockets up draft boards because he performs well in shirts.

The notre dame players will be fine though. They are quality players who have been coached well, and once you get to camp it's about who can perform

It's is pretty awesome how he reloads his coaching staff as well. He hires a combo of up and coming talent, coaches who need to be rehabbed, and others who are just solid coaches/recruiters.
Yep, no program has seen as many staff changes in the last 6 or 8 years either.

Reactions: Kelso86
I thought that draft evals were done by an outside party.

I have heard that Saban changes his director of recruiting quite often. Probably it happens whenever he misses on someone Nick really wanted.

They are.
Don’t know, I assume there is a 3rd party but I would also assume ND provides input. What ever is happening, it’s been wrong. I understand nothing is perfect but I believe the last 2 years we had projected 3-4 in first round and came up with a good egg. Does KMet come back with a second round grade? What did it cost him? Some I get. JOK was not going to move up with another year. He was a highlight reel and a Butkus winner. But others like EQ, Kmet might have seen a 10m swing.

Well, JOK finally got picked. #52 overall. Along with Liam and Aaron Banks. So both those guys are probably quite satisfied I would say with their draft selection spot. Both in the 40s. But JOK, holy shit..... He almost fell to the 3rd round! And he was a consensus 1st round pick in just about every mock draft. I know those don't mean a whole lot, and he was a brand-name player from ND you could just plug into a mock if you're a sportswriter.... Still, I was hoping he would go in the top twenty. He's still going to be the next Derrick Brooks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT