ADVERTISEMENT

New QB Poll

what is childish about what I said? Come on, I’m waiting. Several W fans all weighed in on their own and not one of them was impressed with Coan. I relay what they said and I say I think Coan was average and will imo be average. So what is childish about that?

you want childish? Thinking some guy who was QB of a run dominant offense who got injured is going to be a force to be reckoned with at ND - that’s not a warm fuzzy. Having a poster say Coan will win Heisman. No comment
Having a coach who consistently has blinders on developing QB talent and thinking he will give Buchner a chance to start? Joke

I’ll go on record right now that Kelly will start Coan and we will struggle for the first five - six games. Could lose 2 games. Buchner will light it up if given the chance. But Kelly will have blown the season by game 7.

Dabo was not afraid to dump his incumbent QB for a frosh 3 years ago
Saban starts unheralded guys who prove themselves like this past year. Top tier coaches see promise and know the upside to starting a young talent is higher than going with a guy like Coan. Coan should be an insurance blanket not the savior

I will take whatever wins Buchner can put up versus wins Coan could put up. We could surprise in 21 with one of these two guys and Coan is not the one

let’s save this post - actually save the thread - and if I’m wrong I’ll send a photo of me bending before Coan. And if I’m right you can just finally come to your senses
One more thing- I am not rooting against Coan. If he succeeds, outstanding. My opinion is more based on Kelly shutting the door to real legit competition than anything else

The Skibro to say Cowan all your Wisky friends say Coan sucks is a ridiculous comment . The kid from my sources is very good and brings a great skill set to ND . It just sounds so childish to say what you did

Not to mention his gratuitous shot at Ian Book. I suppose Buchner does have more top end potential than Book, which would be great if he's ultimately able to fulfill it, but let's just see how it goes first before we crown him, as they say.

And no offense to Buchner, but so far at least, only in Buchner's dreams is he going to get us the playoffs twice like Book did.

That's pretty much what I was thinking too, but now that we've got Coan, I'm torn. I would settle for Clark just being fit and getting a clean bill of health. Then let them battle it out!

I was very high on Clark being the next man after Book. But being off the entire year injured with no game time experience has me thinking he may be wonder whether he is done with football. Why has Kelly really not talked about his development at all? Hopefully he is healthy and ready to go.

what is childish about what I said? Come on, I’m waiting. Several W fans all weighed in on their own and not one of them was impressed with Coan. I relay what they said and I say I think Coan was average and will imo be average. So what is childish about that?

you want childish? Thinking some guy who was QB of a run dominant offense who got injured is going to be a force to be reckoned with at ND - that’s not a warm fuzzy. Having a poster say Coan will win Heisman. No comment
Having a coach who consistently has blinders on developing QB talent and thinking he will give Buchner a chance to start? Joke

I’ll go on record right now that Kelly will start Coan and we will struggle for the first five - six games. Could lose 2 games. Buchner will light it up if given the chance. But Kelly will have blown the season by game 7.

StHE iRISH HAVEban starts unheralded guys who prove themselves like this past year. Top tier coaches see promise and know the upside to starting a young talent is higher than going with a guy like Coan. Coan should be an insurance blanket not the savior

I will take whatever wins Buchner can put up versus wins Coan could put up. We could surprise in 21 with one of these two guys and Coan is not the one

let’s save this post - actually save the thread - and if I’m wrong I’ll send a photo of me bending before Coan. And if I’m right you can just finally come to your senses

Noted. I myself will go on record as saying the Irish will go 12 and 0 with Jack Coan as QB. The Irish have a super easy schedule and have four straight ten or more win seasons and five out of the last six seasons. The Irish have also made the playoffs in two out of the last three seasons.
The Irish only lose to the top teams (except they did beat Clemson once last year). They don't lose to teams that are on the schedule this season--and USC still has Todd Helton as Head coach--Kelly owns Helton.

If Buchner or Clark beat out Coan the Irish will still go 12 and 0 in my view because Coan is experienced and very talented and whoever beats him out is a stud.

*** I am very high on Buchner but he needs a year to develop and learn. Throwing him to the wolves early will likely mean a few losses. Some people may be good with that because we would be building for the future but I am not because I believe we are at the point where we should shoot for the playoffs and a NC every year.

*** My opinion is that Buchner is not Tyler Lawrence ready for his freshman year but I could be wrong. If I am wrong I will be happy as hell about it.

*** But I do not disparage any player at ND. Buchner is a future phenom. Jack Coan is Joe Borrows 2.0 and Brendan Clark hopefully is healthy enough to take the reins !

You said earlier last season that Ian Book stinks---which was disproved by Ian finishing 9th in the Heisman voting.

Now you say that Jack Coan stinks---you will be proven wrong yet again when Jack has a heismen season.

Saban starts unheralded guys who prove themselves like this past year. Top tier coaches see promise and know the upside to starting a young talent is higher than going with a guy like Coan. Coan should be an insurance blanket not the savior

Your Wisky friends are probably putzs like you. I will take Urban Meyer's opinion over a bunch of dummie/haters.

I believe it will be a four man battle at QB.

Coan will not only have to be better than the other three, he will have to be a lot better. He will have to wow the coaches but also his new teammates. Two of the four QBs (Clark and Pyne) have the advantage of already having a brotherhood relationship with their teammates. The two new guys (Coan and Buchner) still have to win over their new teammates. For any new guy coming in they must leave no doubt they are the best.

Pyne is scrappy for sure. He is definitely a student of the game. He is the one that would call Book late at night to go over notes and ask questions. Was recruited by a lot of top programs like Alabama.

Clark is a very good athlete that teams will have to game plan to stop his running abilities. He did tear his acl in high school. That injury did keep him on the sideline this season when Pyne got the cleanup snaps. Clark has a very strong arm.

Buchner is the full package. He can make all the throws. Good footwork and good pocket presence. Can run but wants to make the play downfield. He will be the starter sooner rather than later. Will Kelly start a true freshman? Not many coaches do. The young man will have to be lights out to start.

Coan is the experienced guy that seems to be the guy to keep the position warm until the freshman is ready. Coan has not been promised the job. Clark and Pyne have a say in that.

Bottom-line:

Buchner is the future. I could easily see both Clark and Pyne entering the transfer portal in 2022.

In Buchner, ND has its QB of the future. It’s just a matter of when that future begins.

Reactions: theskibro
I believe it will be a four man battle at QB.

Coan will not only have to be better than the other three, he will have to be a lot better. He will have to wow the coaches but also his new teammates. Two of the four QBs (Clark and Pyne) have the advantage of already having a brotherhood relationship with their teammates. The two new guys (Coan and Buchner) still have to win over their new teammates. For any new guy coming in they must leave no doubt they are the best.

Pyne is scrappy for sure. He is definitely a student of the game. He is the one that would call Book late at night to go over notes and ask questions. Was recruited by a lot of top programs like Alabama.

Clark is a very good athlete that teams will have to game plan to stop his running abilities. He did tear his acl in high school. That injury did keep him on the sideline this season when Pyne got the cleanup snaps. Clark has a very strong arm.

Buchner is the full package. He can make all the throws. Good footwork and good pocket presence. Can run but wants to make the play downfield. He will be the starter sooner rather than later. Will Kelly start a true freshman? Not many coaches do. The young man will have to be lights out to start.

Coan is the experienced guy that seems to be the guy to keep the position warm until the freshman is ready. Coan has not been promised the job. Clark and Pyne have a say in that.

Bottom-line:

Buchner is the future. I could easily see both Clark and Pyne entering the transfer portal in 2022.

In Buchner, ND has its QB of the future. It’s just a matter of when that future begins.

This is a good post, but I'm still going to go with Coan. It's not who I want, mind you, I don't favor Coan, and I'm not hoping he wins the job per se, I just figure he will. Obviously, that's why we brought him in, I feel good about saying that much. Not to be a guaranteed starter who was promised the job, but very much with an eye towards that. As in if he does win the job, and we go 10-2 and have a very solid season and the program transitions away from the Ian Book era nice and smoothly, then he will have done exactly what the coaches would love to get out of him. Just remember Coan was a four-star, top 250 player, and he's experienced and at the peak of his powers.

Naturally my sentimental side would want to see Clark get the nod, he's the oldest and so it's his turn. I would feel the same if PJ were still here.

The dark horse has got to be Drew Pyne. For someone who flat looks like he doesn't belong on a D-1 football team, he was one of the most ballyhooed, child prodigy type recruits ND has ever had, so you gotta have a little faith and give him that dark horse status in this wide open QB derby.

As for Buchner, you couldn't ask for a more perfect, textbook type ND recruit. He is the part for sure. But I just don't figure he'll be a factor as a true frosh given how he hasn't played as a HS senior. But maybe he has enough pure talent to buck the odds.

In all fairness....Dabo didn't need much courage to replace his QB with Trevor Lawrence. I think he was itching to make that change at the earliest possible opportunity.

Noted. I myself will go on record as saying the Irish will go 12 and 0 with Jack Coan as QB. The Irish have a super easy schedule and have four straight ten or more win seasons and five out of the last six seasons. The Irish have also made the playoffs in two out of the last three seasons.
The Irish only lose to the top teams (except they did beat Clemson once last year). They don't lose to teams that are on the schedule this season--and USC still has Todd Helton as Head coach--Kelly owns Helton.

If Buchner or Clark beat out Coan the Irish will still go 12 and 0 in my view because Coan is experienced and very talented and whoever beats him out is a stud.

*** I am very high on Buchner but he needs a year to develop and learn. Throwing him to the wolves early will likely mean a few losses. Some people may be good with that because we would be building for the future but I am not because I believe we are at the point where we should shoot for the playoffs and a NC every year.

*** My opinion is that Buchner is not Tyler Lawrence ready for his freshman year but I could be wrong. If I am wrong I will be happy as hell about it.

*** But I do not disparage any player at ND. Buchner is a future phenom. Jack Coan is Joe Borrows 2.0 and Brendan Clark hopefully is healthy enough to take the reins !

You said earlier last season that Ian Book stinks---which was disproved by Ian finishing 9th in the Heisman voting.

Now you say that Jack Coan stinks---you will be proven wrong yet again when Jack has a heismen season.
You lie. Prove it. Show me where I said Book stinks. Never even implied ghat. I have always maintained Book is a goid WB. Compared to elite WBs imo he is about average

Your Wisky friends are probably putzs like you. I will take Urban Meyer's opinion over a bunch of dummie/haters.
Pennick

you always go name calling when you don’t hear what you want. Loosen up. It’s my opinion. You have one too. You don’t think Buchner can beat out Coan. Fine. I say Buchner won’t get a legit shot

Pennick

you always go name calling when you don’t hear what you want. Loosen up. It’s my opinion. You have one too. You don’t think Buchner can beat out Coan. Fine. I say Buchner won’t get a legit shot
You hate the coach that has gotten ND to 2 playoffs in 3 years. You don't know what you are talking about. Kelly will play the best player. Case closed! Stop your bitching and enjoy.

You lie. Prove it. Show me where I said Book stinks. Never even implied ghat. I have always maintained Book is a goid WB. Compared to elite WBs imo he is about average

You posted a thread that said Ian Book is a bad qb in the title. I thought bad = sucks. You did say that he was average in your post so I give you that. And you have to give me that Book finishing 9th in the Heisman voting is not bad and is better than average. But I was wrong about Book winning the heisman :confused::confused:
Both of us did not lie.

You also posted a thread that Tommy Rees is terrible. I disagree with that too. The Irish had an excellent running attack this year--can you imagine what Tommy could do with receivers like Bama's got? Notre Dame has excellent talent at wide receiver in 2021 and a excellent running attack --there will be no excuses for Tommy this year.

You are a very passionate fan and I respect you. I am wrong alot. But this is the fun of the message board engaging in arguments about the team.
SkiBro rocks !

Since nobody's starting any good threads, I'll start one.

So who's our starting QB next year? Personally, I'm hugely stoked we got Jack Coan. I would have been all in on Brendan Clark, but with his knee injury supposedly lingering, now it seems like he's a question mark on that account. And Coan was probably the 2nd best grad-tran QB available, right? After McKenzie Milton. I do not mean to be unfairly down on Drew Pyne, but I'm having a hard time warming him up to him as a winning QB for us. He's just so small, even though Book only measured 6-0 flat at the senior bowl. And Buchner has only played one HS season.

So I'm going with Coan. Personally I think it's nuts to consider us a serious contender for '21, given the huge losses of stalwart performers we're losing, including almost the whole OL. 2021 is quite frankly a rebuilding year, though hopefully more like a re-loading one. But if Coan turns out great it could be the difference between 9-3/10-2, and 7-5/8-4 if things get rocky.

I thought you were going to start a “good” thread.

Dude, give it up. Buchner is not starting next year, what's wrong with you? That's why we brought Jack Coan in to begin with, and you're already starting some smear campaign against all QBs not named Tyler Buchner. So just relax. Even without Covid and the fact that Buchner DID NOT PLAY FOOTBALL AS SENIOR IN HS.... he almost certainly wouldn't have started as a true frosh in any case.

And moreover, he did perform poorly at the Elite 11, or at least he did finish last. That's not fake news. So just let it go, and let Buchner breath a little bit. He's definitely the QB of the future, but just as definitely not the QB for next season 2021.

And STFU about Ian Book while you're at it, you lousy hater.

let see here, you started a thread asking who should be the QB next year and then demean anyone who doesn’t agree with you about Jack Coan? Here’s a tip for you, respect other people’s opinions or just STFU.

ND should start the QB who can throw the ball on a line more than 20 yards. That would be an improvement.

let see here, you started a thread asking who should be the QB next year and then demean anyone who doesn’t agree with you about Jack Coan? Here’s a tip for you, respect other people’s opinions or just STFU.

And who do we have here might I ask?? It says you're new here and you have almost no posts to your name. But apparently my reputation precedes me where you're concerned, and you have nothing but scorn and indignation for me in what is otherwise a pretty decent thread.

Even though you appear to be quite possibly another spiteful troll under yet another new guise, at least you had a helpful tip for me. And you used the STFU acronym just like I did! My guess is, and it's just a shot in the dark, that it's our good friend from Canada, the ex-recruiting coordinator.

In any case, your remarks are noted, and I will duly file them away, and keep them in mind for future reference. Any thoughts on who our future QB might be?

You hate the coach that has gotten ND to 2 playoffs in 3 years. You don't know what you are talking about. Kelly will play the best player. Case closed! Stop your bitching and enjoy.
No I don’t hate Kelly. I think he’s a great coach. His failing imo is not scheming to win big games and QB development. That’s it. And this thread is about QBs

And who do we have here might I ask?? It says you're new here and you have almost no posts to your name. But apparently my reputation precedes me where you're concerned, and you have nothing but scorn and indignation for me in what is otherwise a pretty decent thread.

Even though you appear to be quite possibly another spiteful troll under yet another new guise, at least you had a helpful tip for me. And you used the STFU acronym just like I did! My guess is, and it's just a shot in the dark, that it's our good friend from Canada, the ex-recruiting coordinator.

In any case, your remarks are noted, and I will duly file them away, and keep them in mind for future reference. Any thoughts on who our future QB might be?

Who we have here is a very proud and grateful 1996 ROTC Notre Dame grad. Hence the 96Domer moniker.
Your reputation means nothing to me but when you throw vulgar acronyms at a poster,
because he disagrees with your opinion, I felt the need to respond directly.

Tyler Buchner should be groomed to be the starter. My brother lives in San Diego and watched this kid mature since he was in middle school. Buchner has gone back to his previous style of throwing since his disastrous elite 11 performance.

No I don’t hate Kelly. I think he’s a great coach. His failing imo is not scheming to win big games and QB development. That’s it. And this thread is about QBs
You don't hate Kelly and OJ was innocent. You already know that Coan sucks and Buchner should start. And if Coan beats out Buchner it is because the latter didn't get a fair shot. The kid may not even be the 2nd best QB on the roster. Not sure why everyone is anointing Buchner the starting job before he has thrown a pass in spring ball.

Who we have here is a very proud and grateful 1996 ROTC Notre Dame grad. Hence the 96Domer moniker.
Your reputation means nothing to me but when you throw vulgar acronyms at a poster,
because he disagrees with your opinion, I felt the need to respond directly.

Tyler Buchner should be groomed to be the starter. My brother lives in San Diego and watched this kid mature since he was in middle school. Buchner has gone back to his previous style of throwing since his disastrous elite 11 performance.

Oh yeah??? Is that so.... Class of '96, what a memorable class that was! Excuse me if I don't believe you. I don't associate proud, dignified ND grads with barely coherent, blithering haters, which is pretty much the way you come off to me. Nice touch adding that you were ROTC to boot. That's some verisimilitude!

In any case, we'll see what happens. I definitely am not expecting Buchner to start. Alas, it's pretty easy and transparent to note how the usual suspects among the haters are shifting their loyalties in the post-Book era to Tyler Buchner. You realize of course it's not likely to play out that way, which nicely sets you up for endless ax-grinding towards Kelly and whoever the new QB is. And we can just keep the whole thing going on into perpetuity.

I recommend you check out the ND Nation website, where haters are quite welcome. In fact if you're not a BK hater they may well kick you off. That's how poisonous that place is. Perfect for you, and all your various opinions you want to be able to spout freely, without the slightest pushback. And they are still going strong, notwithstanding all our recent success on the field. They hate BK/Swarbrick with as much intensity as ever. And in their case it borders on literal hate. Actual real hatred and animosity, not just the idiomatic neologism that the term hater is. It's perfect for guys like you. I'm pretty sure it's free to sign up! And I believe it's run by a disgruntled alum, so you'll be right at home. Just trying to help.

Gunner Kiel? I believe he was actually a legit 5 star QB. Transfered sitting behind Rees and concussion derailed his career.
I don't think PJ was elite. He wasn't a five star. The last legit quarterback commit with the talent to be great and have a huge NFL career was Clausen. He's a dime a dozen at Bama.

I also say this with hesitation. The two gentlemen that played on Sunday evening were 3 star recruits at best. ND didn't even look at either. The great quarterbacks that will be the next Tom Brady are out there, but they're probably a 3 star kid. Crazy as that is. The best kid in the class of 2021 and beyond that will go on to be a Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes is very likely not a five star, but a 3 star. Gunner Kiel was a five star. Mahomes was a 3. Keil would have to get in line for Mahomes autograph today.

Last edited:
You don't hate Kelly and OJ was innocent. You already know that Coan sucks and Buchner should start. And if Coan beats out Buchner it is because the latter didn't get a fair shot. The kid may not even be the 2nd best QB on the roster. Not sure why everyone is anointing Buchner the starting job before he has thrown a pass in spring ball.
Are u saying the Juice was innocent? That you acquit cause glove no fit?
Come on. Juice is a sick dude

u know I’m poking u

Are u saying the Juice was innocent? That you acquit cause glove no fit?
Come on. Juice is a sick dude

u know I’m poking u
screen-shot-2012-08-10-at-10-18-14-am.png

ADVERTISEMENT