ADVERTISEMENT

New QB Poll

savvyandsassier

All Star
Dec 16, 2013
Since nobody's starting any good threads, I'll start one.

So who's our starting QB next year? Personally, I'm hugely stoked we got Jack Coan. I would have been all in on Brendan Clark, but with his knee injury supposedly lingering, now it seems like he's a question mark on that account. And Coan was probably the 2nd best grad-tran QB available, right? After McKenzie Milton. I do not mean to be unfairly down on Drew Pyne, but I'm having a hard time warming him up to him as a winning QB for us. He's just so small, even though Book only measured 6-0 flat at the senior bowl. And Buchner has only played one HS season.

So I'm going with Coan. Personally I think it's nuts to consider us a serious contender for '21, given the huge losses of stalwart performers we're losing, including almost the whole OL. 2021 is quite frankly a rebuilding year, though hopefully more like a re-loading one. But if Coan turns out great it could be the difference between 9-3/10-2, and 7-5/8-4 if things get rocky.

So who's our starting QB next year? Personally, I'm hugely stoked we got Jack Coan. I would have been all in on Brendan Clark, but with his knee injury supposedly lingering, now it seems like he's a question mark on that account. And Coan was probably the 2nd best grad-tran QB available, right? After McKenzie Milton. I do not mean to be unfairly down on Drew Pyne, but I'm having a hard time warming him up to him as a winning QB for us. He's just so small, even though Book only measured 6-0 flat at the senior bowl. And Buchner has only played one HS season.

So I'm going with Coan. Personally I think it's nuts to consider us a serious contender for '21, given the huge losses of stalwart performers we're losing, including almost the whole OL. 2021 is quite frankly a rebuilding year, though hopefully more like a re-loading one. But if Coan turns out great it could be the difference between 9-3/10-2, and 7-5/8-4 if things get rocky.

you could have posted an actually poll. Thought for next time.

• Haha
Reactions: Irish Grandeur
Coan is the easy answer.... but it seems like BK trends to using people at QB he knows the best.... which may give advantage to someone who has been in the system for a couple years?

Coan is the easy answer.... but it seems like BK trends to using people at QB he knows the best.... which may give advantage to someone who has been in the system for a couple years?

could be, doubt BK guaranteed Coan the job. But if he liked what he had in Clark or Pyne I doubt they would have offered Coan as a transfer. Maybe he likes Butchner a lot, but would love him after a year in the system. QB room has some question marks going forward that’s for sure. Wouldn’t be surprised if there isn’t a transfer or two after spring ball.

I am not a big fan of renting a QB for one year. I believe it is still an open competition at the QB spot. Coan is more of a security blanket with game experience.

For me, the returning guys have the advantage. For Coan to start, he has to be miles ahead of Pyne and Clark. If Coan is just slightly better, Clark or Pyne will get the start.

Now, if the freshman comes in and blows everyone’s socks off, I would be fine starting a freshman.

Reactions: nemeth#5

I have to agree on Coan -- experience and maturity that ND is sorely lacking right now. That said, if Buchner is all that he is anticipated to be, I can see him pushing for snaps and possibly taking over mid-season maybe. Unless, Coan is having an unbelievable year and it is hard to take him off the field.

I just hope there is a semblence of spring practice this year -- Lord knows ND will need it.

Reactions: nemeth#5
I have to agree on Coan -- experience and maturity that ND is sorely lacking right now. That said, if Buchner is all that he is anticipated to be, I can see him pushing for snaps and possibly taking over mid-season maybe. Unless, Coan is having an unbelievable year and it is hard to take him off the field.

I just hope there is a semblence of spring practice this year -- Lord knows ND will need it.
All my Wisky friends say Coan flat out sucks. Now I think he was average before his injury. He will be average again.
My money with zero hesitation is Buchner

Buchner we win at least ten. Coan we win 8

All my Wisky friends say Coan flat out sucks. Now I think he was average before his injury. He will be average again.

. He should fit in just fine!

1c70e4d2-ce5c-4317-9385-3ae2ef98991c-Getty_1054335710.JPG

His 2019 stats are impressive

Jurkovec is the only elite QB Kelly ever landed. Since he wont be playing for us anymore, it doesnt matter who plays next year. Kizer=Golson=Zaire=Book=Coan=Pyne >Clark. Buchner is new, unproven and inexperienced. Bottom line the QB who is the most accurate, best decision maker, and turns the ball over the least should get the job. Each QB should get playing time against outmanned Toledo to prove themselves instead of Kelly playing the low perfomer the entire game and beating Toledo 24-12 and then saying that winning is hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: shabak and Kelso86
Jurkovec is the only elite QB Kelly ever landed. Since he wont be playing for us anymore, it doesnt matter who plays next year. Kizer=Golson=Zaire=Book=Coan=Pyne >Clark. Buchner is new, unproven and inexperienced. Bottom line the QB who is the most accurate, best decision maker, and turns the ball over the least should get the job. Each QB should get playing time against outmanned Toledo to prove themselves instead of Kelly playing the low perfomer the entire game and beating Toledo 24-12 and then saying that winning is hard.

Kizer wasn’t elite ?

How did he start for an NFL team in his rookie year when he came out early if he wasn’t elite ?

They got to the Rose Bowl with Coan

They got to the Belk Bowl with Mertz

Wonder what their evaluation of him was ?

Coan. He’s way more experienced than Clark. Won’t even be close. Might as well be Book returning.

I don’t expect a highlight reel year from him. Im feeling just a mediocre qb during a transition year. Most will forget him.

IF we have a top 5 class in 2021, I will be very excited for 2022 and 2023. I think we can get back to the playoffs with BK but we need better recruits to be competitive. Otherwise it’s ass whooping again.

Last edited:
The Irish have Florida ST, Toledo and Purdue to figure it out prior to playing Wisconsin on 9.25.

Gunner Kiel? I believe he was actually a legit 5 star QB. Transfered sitting behind Rees and concussion derailed his career.

Yeah..play each QB against Toledo. Good plan.🙄

Sour grapes.

Reactions: dcwflyca
There doesnt have to be a plan against Toledo. It is a glorified practice. Isnt that why they are scheduled ?

What would Nick Saban do? He would have the starter play until they have a 40+ point lead then bring the second stringer in.

Buchner was basically last place at Elite 11. I doubt Coan would’ve performed that bad.

Is your wisky friends names Jack and Daniel? That would make more sense. I mean, the guy helped lead them a rose bowl. I highly doubt they are having a celebration party over his departure.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
I will go with Coan. Too much game experience to ignore. Plus, I have come to the conclusion that Rees should be able to scheme a good game plan for him despite the brand new OL and WRs. Coan can release the ball early to TEs and RBs while we wait for the WR and OL to get up to speed.

Coan is not known for mobility yet he was a great lacrosse player. That strikes me as odd. I suspect that he is more mobile than we think. He is going to be challenged this year. It is not likely that we average 211 yds rushing a game. His best receivers will be TEs and RBs to start out. New OL. Not a great formula to score 30+ points a game.

Buchner was basically last place at Elite 11. I doubt Coan would’ve performed that bad.
Typical drival.

1. Buchners showed up with new mechanics to that event. That was obviously an error, but isn't representative of what he brings to the table.
2. Even the bottom of the elite 11 has much more potential than our last qb.

Typical drival.

1. Buchners showed up with new mechanics to that event. That was obviously an error, but isn't representative of what he brings to the table.
2. Even the bottom of the elite 11 has much more potential than our last qb.

Dude, give it up. Buchner is not starting next year, what's wrong with you? That's why we brought Jack Coan in to begin with, and you're already starting some smear campaign against all QBs not named Tyler Buchner. So just relax. Even without Covid and the fact that Buchner DID NOT PLAY FOOTBALL AS SENIOR IN HS.... he almost certainly wouldn't have started as a true frosh in any case.

And moreover, he did perform poorly at the Elite 11, or at least he did finish last. That's not fake news. So just let it go, and let Buchner breath a little bit. He's definitely the QB of the future, but just as definitely not the QB for next season 2021.

And STFU about Ian Book while you're at it, you lousy hater.

Reactions: 4-4-3

The Skibro to say Cowan all your Wisky friends say Coan sucks is a ridiculous comment . The kid from my sources is very good and brings a great skill set to ND . It just sounds so childish to say what you did

The Skibro to say Cowan all your Wisky friends say Coan sucks is a ridiculous comment . The kid from my sources is very good and brings a great skill set to ND . It just sounds so childish to say what you did

what is childish about what I said? Come on, I’m waiting. Several W fans all weighed in on their own and not one of them was impressed with Coan. I relay what they said and I say I think Coan was average and will imo be average. So what is childish about that?

you want childish? Thinking some guy who was QB of a run dominant offense who got injured is going to be a force to be reckoned with at ND - that’s not a warm fuzzy. Having a poster say Coan will win Heisman. No comment
Having a coach who consistently has blinders on developing QB talent and thinking he will give Buchner a chance to start? Joke

I’ll go on record right now that Kelly will start Coan and we will struggle for the first five - six games. Could lose 2 games. Buchner will light it up if given the chance. But Kelly will have blown the season by game 7.

Dabo was not afraid to dump his incumbent QB for a frosh 3 years ago
Saban starts unheralded guys who prove themselves like this past year. Top tier coaches see promise and know the upside to starting a young talent is higher than going with a guy like Coan. Coan should be an insurance blanket not the savior

I will take whatever wins Buchner can put up versus wins Coan could put up. We could surprise in 21 with one of these two guys and Coan is not the one

let’s save this post - actually save the thread - and if I’m wrong I’ll send a photo of me bending before Coan. And if I’m right you can just finally come to your senses

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT