ADVERTISEMENT

ND/Wisconsin discussing Soldier Field/Lambeau series

Yeah. That said Lambeau is awesome.

It would garner a bit more publicity. And maybe make it easier for some fans to attend.

Reactions: HarlemIrish
I have this crazy idea that a college football game should be played on a college campus.

I like games on campus too, but this would hardly qualify as the first time Notre Dame played on a neutral field, going all the way back to the '20s.

I wonder what high school players think about the chance to play where the Chicago Bears and Green Bay Packers play? My guess is they would be pretty excited about the opportunity. I wonder if the coaches will mention this to them when they are on the road recruiting? Just a guess, but I bet they do.

I wonder what high school players think about the chance to play where the Chicago Bears and Green Bay Packers play? My guess is they would be pretty excited about the opportunity. I wonder if the coaches will mention this to them when they are on the road recruiting? Just a guess, but I bet they do.

I'm sure kids think it's cool, but we all know the real reason games like this are scheduled: the buzz they create and money they bring in. Just the special t-shirts alone will be worth a mint. It's just the nature of the beast today.

I've wanted ND to play Wisconsin for decades now, so I'm excited about the matchup (would also like to see games against Illinois, Iowa, and Minnesota.)

Having an opportunity to watch the legendary Notre Dame football team play in legendary Lambeau stadium. Now that's a classic!!

Reactions: echowaker
Historical Notre Dame playing in one of the most historical football venues and you don't want to see that happen? What about all the games ND has played at Yankee Stadium?

I'm a Notre Dame fan and a college football fan. If I go to Yankee Stadium, I want to see the Yankees play. I'd much rather see ND play Wisconsin at Camp Randall than Lambeau Field.

I think it's a great series against one of the better teams in the country over the last two plus decades. Playing at soldier & lambeau will be great and so would a true home & home so I get smc's point. Maybe we play them more often down the road and both will happen eventually. I don't mind playing at neutral sites every once in a while. Like an earlier poster said, this isn't anything new. Somewhat how I feel about the shamrock series. A lot of fans get riled up over the alternate uniforms but as long as it's only once a year, no big deal.

I'm a Notre Dame fan and a college football fan. If I go to Yankee Stadium, I want to see the Yankees play. I'd much rather see ND play Wisconsin at Camp Randall than Lambeau Field.
I agree that playing at Camp Randall would be awesome to see. But we are talking Lambeau Field. It's not the $100 million Cowboy stadium or Lucas Oil Stadium, it's Green Bay.

I think it's a great series against one of the better teams in the country over the last two plus decades. Playing at soldier & lambeau will be great and so would a true home & home so I get smc's point. Maybe we play them more often down the road and both will happen eventually. I don't mind playing at neutral sites every once in a while. Like an earlier poster said, this isn't anything new. Somewhat how I feel about the shamrock series. A lot of fans get riled up over the alternate uniforms but as long as it's only once a year, no big deal.
If this happens, then I would like to see ND not mess with the uniforms for a game at Green Bay. ND wears the traditional Blue and Gold and Wisconsin wear the home red and white.

Reactions: Kelso86
I agree that playing at Camp Randall would be awesome to see. But we are talking Lambeau Field. It's not the $100 million Cowboy stadium or Lucas Oil Stadium, it's Green Bay.

While it would be novel, I suppose, to watch a Notre Dame game in Lambeau, I actually would also rather see it in Madison because I find it more enjoyable to go to a road game with a road atmosphere and understand what it's like to go to a Wisconsin game (with my team playing) than go to a neutral site where the feeling is different. Part of the reason I enjoy college football is the atmosphere and feeling that a game provides, which is usually absent from a pro game.

It also has the added benefit of varying up the home schedule to see a team that hasn't visited in a long while.

Reactions: NDSMC78

For what it's worth, so many teams are doing the neutral site thing that I think it ceases to be a novelty.

While it would be novel, I suppose, to watch a Notre Dame game in Lambeau, I actually would also rather see it in Madison because I find it more enjoyable to go to a road game with a road atmosphere and understand what it's like to go to a Wisconsin game (with my team playing) than go to a neutral site where the feeling is different. Part of the reason I enjoy college football is the atmosphere and feeling that a game provides, which is usually absent from a pro game.

It also has the added benefit of varying up the home schedule to see a team that hasn't visited in a long while.
That is a fair point and I totally agree. I do not get to too many road games so you make an excellent point.

That is a fair point and I totally agree. I do not get to too many road games so you make an excellent point.

I didn't make it to the Tennessee road game in 2005 but by all accounts visiting Neyland was incredible. It would have lacked that atmosphere had it been where the Titans play (while acknowledging that the Titans stadium is not Lambeau Field).

Since the agreement with the ACC, most of our schedule is tied up considering we typically have 5 ACC games, USC, Navy and Stanford, plus a typical 'buy' game now against a MAC team or equivalent. If you add the Shamrock game (which I know is not on upcoming schedules), it doesn't provide for a lot of flexibility to see other venues.

Moving to an NFL stadium is what you do with schools that have no Saturday tradition (UCONN). You don't replace a traditional and popular Saturday tradition like the one in Camp Randall to play in a nearly sterile NFL facility.

Moving to an NFL stadium is what you do with schools that have no Saturday tradition (UCONN). You don't replace a traditional and popular Saturday tradition like the one in Camp Randall to play in a nearly sterile NFL facility.

Lambeau is very similar to Notre Dame Stadium in that it is a perfect oval and the stands are very close to the field. I know it has been renovated extensively since I was last there, but I hardly think of it as a sterile NFL facility

I think this is a very cool idea, but I would also like to see more games between these two two teams played on their home turf.

Irishjohn, I'm with you about the uniforms. I was just drawing a comparison w/ the neutral site. Lambeau field w/ ND's classic white on gold against the wisco red would be an awesome sight. Looking forward to it and will have a tough time rooting against Wisconsin cuz I've rooted for them ever since Alvarez took over but will do so, at least for that day.

Lambeau is very similar to Notre Dame Stadium in that it is a perfect oval and the stands are very close to the field. I know it has been renovated extensively since I was last there, but I hardly think of it as a sterile NFL facility

I think this is a very cool idea, but I would also like to see more games between these two two teams played on their home turf.

I actually agree that Lambeau is the Fenway Park of the NFL. But it shouldn't be used on Wiscy when I hear they have an enviable experience in Madison. Have one of our Shamrock MAC snacks in GB if we have to schedule them.

Have you been to Lambeau ? It certainly doesn't t fit your definition of an NFL facility.

Anymore, it about the experience for both the students and athletes to play in iconic venues. With tickets sales to be split evenly both games, and hopefully, both will highly ranked at the time -- it could create a playoff-type atmosphere.

NBC will have the game in Lambeau, and the B1G Network will have the rights in Chicago.

As far as Wisconsin players are concerned, wouldn't it be a bit more iconic for them to play at Notre Dame Stadium than Soldier Field?

Reactions: tbonesays
As far as Wisconsin players are concerned, wouldn't it be a bit more iconic for them to play at Notre Dame Stadium than Soldier Field?

Maybe, they will be just as excited to play ND -- period!

But yea, would like to see the games at Madison/South Bend -- but, I am glad that ND is simply scheduling them as well.

In the end, the field in 100 yards long anywhere they play. Line them up and let it go!

If these games are part of or in lieu of the shamrock series, I think the venues are terrific, and can only add to the recruiting story. I love the way Wisconsin plays and these should be great games. Scheduling continues to surprise.

Reactions: Kelso86
Looking forward to it. One of my best friends is a Whiskey grad and we are already trying to plan a guys trip to both games.

I attended ND vs BC at Fenway. It was lame as a home ND game. Would much rather have spent the dough to travel friends and family out to South Bend.

I attended ND vs BC at Fenway. It was lame as a home ND game. Would much rather have spent the dough to travel friends and family out to South Bend.

I found that a particularly stupid idea myself. Sort of like asking someone who is allergic to bee stings use a beehive as a piñata, if you get my drift.

I do like ND and Wisconsin at Lambeau and Soldier, though. It is certainly better than us playing Washington State in Dallas.

I do wonder about why ND is home at Lambeau and Wisconsin home at Soldier. That's backward to the traditional drawing power of both schools.

ND does have a pretty good history with that part of Wisconsin and the UP: George Gipp was from a little place just outside Calumet, and Curly Lambeau played for Rockne. You've also got Rocky Bleier from nearby Appleton, Dave Casper from somewhere around there. I think Red Smith also came from Appleton, and the great linebacker Bob Olson was from Superior, Wisconsin. Hell, even Dan Devine was from Wisconsin.

ADVERTISEMENT