ADVERTISEMENT

ND - Vandy Game Thread

Gotta move away from two qbs.

Gotta stop the fast three and outs in third quarter. Our pace is wearing out our own defenses.

Oline has to play a whole game. Maybe they need time to gel but they started great then gave up their spots in 2nd and 3 rd quarters

Gotta use middle of field more even at the risk of picks

Long needs to be done. The fact that Quinn isn't running the offense when he has been an innovative OC everywhere he has been is just amazing to me. It's as if Kelly is punishing him for taking the Buffalo job after Cincy.

Wouldnt be shocked if long is stripped of play calling next week. Not sure it would be bad if he was either.
Question is...is it long's fault? What I mean is how much is play calling and how much is it a strategy to pull back and let the defense win it. I ask because at times when the offense has been opened up...first two possessions of the game and 3rd quarter when the opposition pulls within a score...all of a sudden the the offense moves the ball like its unstoppable. Then as soon as its a 10+ point lead it's right back to the safe but stagnant offense. And it's been a trend in all three games, which makes me suspect it's not chip's actual play calls but the overall strategy

Long needs to be done. The fact that Quinn isn't running the offense when he has been an innovative OC everywhere he has been is just amazing to me. It's as if Kelly is punishing him for taking the Buffalo job after Cincy.
At the time kelly needed to hire someone outside his circle. I think his voice needs to get louder in the room for sure.

Reactions: GoldCountryND
So tired of watching Kelly’s postgame where it’s , we played hard, everyone comes in and gives us their best..... yawn. What do you think Saban would have said after a game like this with his team?

Reactions: rgc7
When I said after the Michigan game that if these two teams played later in the season I wouldn't be surprised if Michigan won, I got all sorts of shit.

I don't know where people come off thinking this is a playoff team.
This team is average. Middle of the pack in any major conference. The coaching is average too.

i still enjoy watching the games, but when they start their losing, which will begin with the Stanford game, I won't care less because I already know they are average. Lower expectations makes it much easier to survive as a Notre Dame fan.

Reactions: GoldCountryND
So tired of watching Kelly’s postgame where it’s , we played hard, everyone comes in and gives us their best..... yawn. What do you think Saban would have said after a game like this with his team?

"Pay attention to detail."

Question is...is it long's fault? What I mean is how much is play calling and how much is it a strategy to pull back and let the defense win it. I ask because at times when the offense has been opened up...first two possessions of the game and 3rd quarter when the opposition pulls within a score...all of a sudden the the offense moves the ball like its unstoppable. Then as soon as its a 10+ point lead it's right back to the safe but stagnant offense. And it's been a trend in all three games, which makes me suspect it's not chip's actual play calls but the overall strategy
There is no doubt the failure to get first downs in the third have been killers for three games. Whoever is responsible for the combination of plays and tempo needs a total reassessment. Gotta move the ball in the third and if we cant we need to slow down between plays.

When I said after the Michigan game that if these two teams played later in the season I wouldn't be surprised if Michigan won, I got all sorts of shit.

I don't know where people come off thinking this is a playoff team.
This team is average. Middle of the pack in any major conference. The coaching is average too.

i still enjoy watching the games, but when they start their losing, which will begin with the Stanford game, I won't care less because I already know they are average. Lower expectations makes it much easier to survive as a Notre Dame fan.
Even easier for a bandwagon fan.

Reactions: PHJIndy
With this inconsistency on offense I could see N.D. losing the next three games because the offense has shown the inability to score more than 24 points a game against 1 good-great defense and two middle of the road-sub par talent defenses

Wake forests and Stanford’s offense has shown the ability to score more than 30+ points going by last seasons games and VT seems to have as good or better defense than Michigan and we play two of our next three away

Winning is hard. We have to get better and that means the coaches too. We showed a lot of character. Everyone brings their best game against us.

Anything I'm missing

How about playing our best football for more than few series a game? Tired of seeing the play not to lose strategy rather than playing to completely destroy and embarrass your opponent.

There is no doubt the failure to get first downs in the third have been killers for three games. Whoever is responsible for the combination of plays and tempo needs a total reassessment. Gotta move the ball in the third and if we cant we need to slow down between plays.
It’s not just third, it’s after scripted plays. Long is awful.

At the time kelly needed to hire someone outside his circle. I think his voice needs to get louder in the room for sure.

Understandable. I think Kelly is doing himself and his team a disservice though. Having watched Quinn's offenses at GVSU, CMU, and Cincy, I can comfortably say he's the most capable guy on the staff to call an offense that will put up points rather than just move the ball and never capitalize.

Understandable. I think Kelly is doing himself and his team a disservice though. Having watched Quinn's offenses at GVSU, CMU, and Cincy, I can comfortably say he's the most capable guy on the staff to call an offense that will put up points rather than just move the ball and never capitalize.
They only move the ball when aggressive and unpredictable. We moved it early and late. Long said let’s just run up the middle the second and third quarters

Ya the soft ND fan base forced BK to be a tame, domesticated kitten, I actually enjoyed the purple face TJ Jones tirades. This here sums up NDs fan base.. "We need to fire him, he can't act like that, purple face lunatic" 2 years later/ "I can't stand how he said this team played hard and found a way to win after a sloppy game"

2017 was the best offense we've had since the other Quin. You know, when we actually went up-tempo and ran the ball instead of just talking about doing that.

ADVERTISEMENT