ADVERTISEMENT

Nd Turned the corner !

rgc7

Posts Like A Champion
Jun 23, 2012
I believe that the North Carolina game was the turning point in the season. as I said in a previose post, Pyne looks like a top QB,and our
running game looks like the real smash mouth
foot ball that I loved son much under Lou !
can’t wait to see our next game !

Well it was definitely a dominating offensive performance, looking identical to a typical a big win over a similar type opponent of recent years past.

The nervous nellies say that UNC's defense is so putrid, and so abnormally awful that you can't take much from a game like this, which I don't particularly agree with... But maybe they're right, and we will struggle next week against a well put together BYU team, and it will back to the offensive futility of the first three weeks, or a lot closer to that at least. I'd like to think the offense was able to snap out of its doldrums, mainly because of much improved OL play, and perhaps a more cautious tactical approach, and that we'll keep it up even against better teams.

All's I know is the win over UNC looked like a vintage Ian Book-led victory from yesteryear....

Reactions: rgc7 and Kelso86
Well it was definitely a dominating offensive performance, looking identical to a typical a big win over a similar type opponent of recent years past.

The nervous nellies say that UNC's defense is so putrid, and so abnormally awful that you can't take much from a game like this, which I don't particularly agree with... But maybe they're right, and we will struggle next week against a well put together BYU team, and it will back to the offensive futility of the first three weeks, or a lot closer to that at least. I'd like to think the offense was able to snap out of its doldrums, mainly because of much improved OL play, and perhaps a more cautious tactical approach, and that we'll keep it up even against better teams.

All's I know is the win over UNC looked like a vintage Ian Book-led victory from yesteryear....
'The nervous nellies say that UNC's defense is so putrid, and so abnormally awful that you can't take much from a game like this, which I don't particularly agree with"

And, if ND had struggled to run the ball against NC, those same nervous nellie's would out in full force -- they are not happy either way

I believe that the North Carolina game was the turning point in the season. as I said in a previose post, Pyne looks like a top QB,and our
I think we may have turned the corner. May have. Want to see BYU game first

Don't agree about Pyne

Ground and pound. "an army moves on its belly" ND offense moves on its run game. Glad to see they are running and blocking way better. I am still worried about the USC game.

Reactions: rgc7
Can’t get excited about beating a terrible team like NC. If any ND fan is excited about that win then you have a very low standard for this team.

I think we may have turned the corner. May have. Want to see BYU game first

Don't agree about Pyne
Pyne reminds me of Rex Grossman...who quarterbacked the Gators 20+ years ago; whose success was tied to his ability to use the weapons around him.. He will have his ups and downs...and his limitations will surface. He can lead ND to a winning season as far as Ws and Ls...but, he won't be a dominating quarterback. Not his fault, just what it is.

and the more the OL plays as a unit the better he unit becomes ‘want the best 5 not the 5 best’

I'd say we showed improvement. I wouldn't say we turned a corner.

Pyne is limited as QB. We finally showed an ability to use all three rbs. I am very concerned with the inability to use our wr talent.

Now the question is can the oline do it against a decent team.

Pyne reminds me of Rex Grossman...who quarterbacked the Gators 20+ years ago; whose success was tied to his ability to use the weapons around him.. He will have his ups and downs...and his limitations will surface. He can lead ND to a winning season as far as Ws and Ls...but, he won't be a dominating quarterback. Not his fault, just what it is.
I dont think he's at Grossman level though

Reactions: mirer03
Encouraged by the UNC game, but not yet at “we turned the corner”.

Handle BYU, then we can have that conversation.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
Pyne reminds me of Rex Grossman...who quarterbacked the Gators 20+ years ago; whose success was tied to his ability to use the weapons around him.. He will have his ups and downs...and his limitations will surface. He can lead ND to a winning season as far as Ws and Ls...but, he won't be a dominating quarterback. Not his fault, just what it.

Hadn't thought of the Grossman clan in years. I can remember Dan and Dobby playing for Bloomington South. Besides football they played basketball too. I saw them play at a holiday tournament in Vincennes. Thinking it was 68/69 when my Alices went undefeated and to the Final Four. Rex came from good football stock.

I am hopeful that the Irish will finish the season strong and that begins with a victory over BYU.

Reactions: NDSMC78
need to see it maintained for about three more games before I would say that.

Still very uncertain about Freeman. Remember even the Faust Teams had good runs and beat good teams now and then.

Pyne could as I said be another Coan. Which I would be happy to have to be blunt at this time.

Reactions: rgc7
In exactly what way could he possibly remind you of Rex Grossman after a whopping 9 quarters in 2022?

He's much smaller than Rex

Pyne might be 5'10" with the longer cleats attached for mud. No comparison in arm strength whatsoever.

Lastly....Rex was the SEC and AP player of the year.

Pyne is NOT going to be an AP player of the year nor is he going to play on Sunday.

If you're small...and Pyne is tiny...you must do something extraordinarily well to play on Sunday. Huge arm, an uncanny escapability, etc etc...
Pyne doesn't do anything spectacular to overcome his lack of size.

In exactly what way could he possibly remind you of Rex Grossman after a whopping 9 quarters in 2022?

He's much smaller than Rex

Pyne might be 5'10" with the longer cleats attached for mud. No comparison in arm strength whatsoever.

Lastly....Rex was the SEC and AP player of the year.

Pyne is NOT going to be an AP player of the year nor is he going to play on Sunday.

If you're small...and Pyne is tiny...you must do something extraordinarily well to play on Sunday. Huge arm, an uncanny escapability, etc etc...
Rex was small too....just not as small. His skill set was proportionate to the very skilled players he had around him. His weaknesses were exposed at the pro level. I said he reminded me of Grossman...because neither is a dominate player, both have physical limitations...and their success is/was disproportionately dependent on the surrounding cast. Thats hardly a compliment to either. I don't offer any direct tit for tat comparisons...because that wasn't my point. Snorkling reminds me of scuba diving....but we can debate the differences if you wish...there's plenty of them.

Rex was small too....just not as small. His skill set was proportionate to the very skilled players he had around him. His weaknesses were exposed at the pro level. I said he reminded me of Grossman...because neither is a dominate player, both have physical limitations...and their success is/was disproportionately dependent on the surrounding cast. Thats hardly a compliment to either. I don't offer any direct tit for tat comparisons...because that wasn't my point. Snorkling reminds me of scuba diving....but we can debate the differences if you wish...there's plenty of them.
On a message board driven by opinions you're welcome to think what you like...

That said I don't like comparing any players to players yesteryear or yet to come...

It's not fair to all parties involved when comparisons like that are made.

Like when I hear the next Bettis or the next Floyd....

NO!!
There is only one Bettis and one Floyd.
Moreover I like to player getting compared to cut their own legacy. They might eclipse the legend

In other words...
Drew Pyne is exactly like.....

Drew Pyne

Reactions: tbonesays

That said I don't like comparing any players to players yesteryear or yet to come...

NO!!
Moreover I like to player getting compared to cut their own legacy. They might eclipse the legend

In other words...

Drew Pyne
yeah, we can all tell you want him to fail....

yeah, we can all tell you want him to fail....
We...as in you and all the echos in your head?
I wish nothing but success for any player but again just like in another thread...

If some opinion differs from yours it's like you take it as something personal.
If differing opinions hurt your feelings I'd suggest not spending your time on a message board that is 99% driven by opinion.

I pointed out that Pyne has yet to show the deep pass for success and also has a tough time throwing on the run....both of which aren't opinion but fact....
Somehow your brain comes up with me hoping he fails?

Alrighty then

We...as in you and all the echos in your head?
I wish nothing but success for any player but again just like in another thread...

If some opinion differs from yours it's like you take it as something personal.
If differing opinions hurt your feelings I'd suggest not spending your time on a message board that is 99% driven by opinion.

I pointed out that Pyne has yet to show the deep pass for success and also has a tough time throwing on the run....both of which aren't opinion but fact....
Somehow your brain comes up with me hoping he fails?

Alrighty then
Well I can also name a LOT of successful QBs that were not very good at deep passes (Peyton Manning certainly comes to mind; and I really doubt he was ever shown to be very good throwing on the run....)

But self proclaimed 'experts' like yourself are notoriously touchy when they are shown to be the fools they actually are.

NO!!

In other words...

Drew Pyne
You got exactly what you paid for.

“I fixed it for you. 😉”

It didn’t need any “fixing”. I just thought it was funny that you were telling the board not to compare players anymore. Any other ‘88’ mandates? I probably shouldn’t have asked, I’m sure you have a slew of them. 😉

Well I can also name a LOT of successful QBs that were not very good at deep passes (Peyton Manning certainly comes to mind; and I really doubt he was ever shown to be very good throwing on the run....)

But self proclaimed 'experts' like yourself are notoriously touchy when they are shown to be the fools they actually are.
Peyton Manning???

Really?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Nothing else needs discussed.

Good lord

“I fixed it for you. 😉”

It didn’t need any “fixing”. I just thought it was funny that you were telling the board not to compare players anymore. Any other ‘88’ mandates? I probably shouldn’t have asked, I’m sure you have a slew of them. 😉
I wasn't telling the board anything. They can and will do as they please. I wouldn't want it any other way, do you?

That said I think it's silly and very self serving to make unrealistic comparisons.

Is that what ND football has become to you? Selling yourself on a player because they kind of remind you of another past player?
Seems like a childish pipe dream to me.

I, on the other hand, want to see player X be the best that player X can be.

I prefer to watch them write their own script legendary or not.

You don't?

“I wasn't telling the board anything.”

You weren’t? It looks as though you were annoyed that another poster did when you said:

“That said I don't like comparing any players to players yesteryear or yet to come...” & then went on & on about why anyone would do so.

But I really don’t give a shit about your opinions. They’re mostly the same old tired bitching and moaning and arrogantly telling the whole board how much smarter you are than the rest. You’re not alone in that respect, but you are a solid contributor to that group. So, if you don’t mind, the rest of us may happen to make player comparisons when we see fit, and if you do mind, even better. 😉

I wasn't telling the board anything. They can and will do as they please. I wouldn't want it any other way, do you?

That said I think it's silly and very self serving to make unrealistic comparisons.

Is that what ND football has become to you? Selling yourself on a player because they kind of remind you of another past player?
Seems like a childish pipe dream to me.

I, on the other hand, want to see player X be the best that player X can be.

I prefer to watch them write their own script legendary or not.

You don't?
I appreciate your example of not making silly and very self serving unrealistic comparisons...something the rest of us can emulate...Except when you said: "Carr is not a game changing program elevating QB/Player. No better than what ND has now." But that was probably the one and only time you've ever slipped over to the dark side... so I'll try to forget I read it.

Peyton Manning???

Really?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Nothing else needs discussed.

Good lord
Since you STUPIDLY proclaimed no college QB could be successful except how you defined it, I thought I would rub a prime example of otherwise in your idiotic and ignorant mug.

Peyton didnt have a rocket arm but he threw a good deep ball

I like that comparison.

I appreciate your example of not making silly and very self serving unrealistic comparisons...something the rest of us can emulate...Except when you said: "Carr is not a game changing program elevating QB/Player. No better than what ND has now." But that was probably the one and only time you've ever slipped over to the dark side... so I'll try to forget I read it.
WTF are you talking about?
You certainly have me confused with someone else.

I never ever once said such a thing.
Not ever once.

Maybe that's why you can't find an actual quote because it doesn't exist.

Definitely a new one for me on the board....
Never once been accused saying something I never once said. Especially with the evidence right in front of you...

Since you STUPIDLY proclaimed no college QB could be successful except how you defined it, I thought I would rub a prime example of otherwise in your idiotic and ignorant mug.
I'd say you're speaking like a child now but this isn't the first time is it.
When you must resort to name calling I've got no time for that.

Again if you're personally hurt over an opinion on a message board I can only recommend less internet and chat rooms and a little more life.

LASTLY.....
and for you to call someone stupid yet can't comprehend what was REALLY SAID by me...

Allow me to help you...

Ready?

You CLAIM I SAID the following...
"no college QB could be successful except how you defined it,"

Allow me to SHOW YOU WHAT I REALLY said...
Post in thread 'Nd Turned the corner !' https://notredame.forums.rivals.com/threads/nd-turned-the-corner.181248/post-3634131

And to further aid you...and highlight it for you...

Does that look like I said you can't play on Saturday?
NOPE....

I CLEARLY said SUNDAY in response to someone comparing Pyne to Grossman...Grossman who played several years in the NFL and Pyne has 12 quarters under his belt at ND in a career.

Nothing whatsoever sounds like I stated Pyne can't play on Saturday as you accuse.

Moreover...and truth be told I find your Manning reference insanely bizarre but I'll repeat...

If you're tiny and hope to play QB in the NFL you must do something exceptionally well.
A huge arm, exceptional running and or escapability, or both. I said Pyne doesn't do either.

Now that doesn't mean he can't win games for us does it?

But still your emotions got hurt and then bring up Peyton Manning by pointing out his short comings....LOL...of not throwing well on the run or having a huge arm.
You also said....
"Well I can also name a LOT of successful QBs that were not very good at deep passes (Peyton Manning certainly comes to mind; and I really doubt he was ever shown to be very good throwing on the run....)

You fail to mention Peyton was 6'5"
And by all means give me
" a lot" of those names who were successful in the NFL @ 5'10"

Maybe the point just evades you and just so we're clear ...again...
playing QB @ 5'10" in the NFL absolutely positively requires you to do something exceptionally well.

I will patiently wait on those
"lots" of names who were successful in the NFL @ 5'10" and didn't do anything exceptionally elite.

Peyton didnt have a rocket arm but he threw a good deep ball
And yet his greatest year in the NFL came when his arm was nearly dead.
There have been MANY great QBs who did not have rockets for arms so anyone claiming he has to have one to be successful is full of it. Pyne has not shown he cannot do it; more the case of the play calling and our lack of WR talent.

And yet his greatest year in the NFL came when his arm was nearly dead.
There have been MANY great QBs who did not have rockets for arms so anyone claiming he has to have one to be successful is full of it. Pyne has not shown he cannot do it; more the case of the play calling and our lack of WR talent.
His arm doesnt look strong and Peytons was much stronger than his. Peyton was also a genius and was 6'5"

WTF are you talking about?
You certainly have me confused with someone else.

I never ever once said such a thing.
Not ever once.

Maybe that's why you can't find an actual quote because it doesn't exist.

Definitely a new one for me on the board....
Never once been accused saying something I never once said. Especially with the evidence right in front of you...

Must be the other 88. If its mistaken identity, I could apologize, but...then again...I'd rather not. Since this is all free....I don't owe you one anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT