ADVERTISEMENT

ND to play Central Michigan in 2023

I am very impressed! CMU ✅, Cincinnati ✅, and now G! V! S! U! is next baby. Let’s go Lakers. ND 52 GVSU 9

Next year's schedule is tough! It straight up is. I don't know about 2023. But 2021 is.
😂 2021 schedule is not tough. Not as weak as 2020, but ND will most likely be favored in all of them.
As for 2023, that is a schedule that is tough with Ohio st and Clemson on it. Kelly's history in those games has not been kind.

But, beating Duke at Duke in 2020-21 is very impressive! This was a smart move by an impressive AD. What’s not impressive is what does and does not impress you.

I dunno. There have been a lot of posters who don't seem to know that there is a difference between division 1AA (now FCS) and Division II.
Im sure he meant fcs. And it's true. Other schools play fcs teams. We don't. Our schedule is fine. Nothing wrong with this game

I am not impressed.
It's only a 1-year deal and some of it likely has to do with BK's CMU connection. We scheduled New Mexico recently due to the Bob Davie connection (which Davie couldn't show up for due to illness). Jim McElwain seems to be turning their program around nicely and they could be a pretty decent team by the time we play them. Even if they aren't, it's still a good one-and-done scheduling move.

It's only a 1-year deal and some of it likely has to do with BK's CMU connection. We scheduled New Mexico recently due to the Bob Davie connection (which Davie couldn't show up for due to illness). Jim McElwain seems to be turning their program around nicely and they could be a pretty decent team by the time we play them. Even if they aren't, it's still a good one-and-done scheduling move.

Yeah, Central Michigan is a one year deal, but we are playing a MAC school every year now. Toledo. Northern Illinois. Ball St. Bowling Green. Central Michigan.

Reactions: Classic Irish
Not sure why you think this is important, but go ahead and have fun with it. CMU is not in a power 5 conference and should not be looked upon as a quality opponent,

ND is not going to schedule a top 25 team every week. You could make an argument for a power 5 team every week. But even power 5 teams want cup cakes and with conferences going to 8-9 conference games, are they going to schedule ND in one of their open spots? ND is scheduling manage games and if they go undefeated their in the playoffs.

Reactions: IrishMike409
ND is not going to schedule a top 25 team every week. You could make an argument for a power 5 team every week. But even power 5 teams want cup cakes and with conferences going to 8-9 conference games, are they going to schedule ND in one of their open spots? ND is scheduling manage games and if they go undefeated their in the playoffs.

More bogus arguments. I never said ND should play a top 25 team, nor did I say that ND should play a power 5 opponent every week. I was responding to the other poster who was trying to suggest that CMU was a quality opponent. They are not.

More bogus arguments. I never said ND should play a top 25 team, nor did I say that ND should play a power 5 opponent every week. I was responding to the other poster who was trying to suggest that CMU was a quality opponent. They are not.

You do have some kind of problem playing all these MAC teams though, huh? Playing a MAC school every year almost, that doesn't do it for you?

Fair enough, I realize MAC opponents is about as unglamorous as it gets. But we need cupcakes on the schedule, that's how it done. And I'm pretty sure that's the totally deliberate role these MAC programs fill, and they are scheduled very much in order to fulfill that exact role. At least they're not D-2!

Reactions: IrishMike409
You do have some kind of problem playing all these MAC teams though, huh? Playing a MAC school every year almost, that doesn't do it for you?

Fair enough, I realize MAC opponents is about as unglamorous as it gets. But we need cupcakes on the schedule, that's how it done. And I'm pretty sure that's the totally deliberate role these MAC programs fill, and they are scheduled very much in order to fulfill that exact role. At least they're not D-2!

No, they don't do it for me. And I am well aware that other schools do the same.
But we all need to keep one thing in mind. When the distinguished committee picks the playoff teams, almost every other school being considered will have played 13 games. ND will only have played 12 games. So it behooves ND to play better competition.

No, they don't do it for me. And I am well aware that other schools do the same.
But we all need to keep one thing in mind. When the distinguished committee picks the playoff teams, almost every other school being considered will have played 13 games. ND will only have played 12 games. So it behooves ND to play better competition.

Yeah well, you could be right. But I'm pretty sure the reigning conventional wisdom is, for a contending program, to schedule a certain amount of cupcakes, and sure wins. But maybe they're fools to think that, I don't really know, I'm not a math major. Other than to say the odds of having an 11-1 or 12-0 season improve the more cupcakes you have, so you gotta have a couple creampuffs!

But of course you don't actually have to, and I guess that's where you're coming from.

No it doesn't. It behooves us to go 12 and 0 and with our schedule we are in

I would rather see ND play a Oklahoma State then a Central Michigan, or play Arkansas then a Ball State or a Washington over a Miami of Ohio. I think want most ND fans want to see (and I might be wrong) is the Irish play a P5 team that doesn't have to be a Top 25 team over a Non P5 conference team.

Agree 100%

I would rather see ND play a Oklahoma State then a Central Michigan, or play Arkansas then a Ball State or a Washington over a Miami of Ohio. I think want most ND fans want to see (and I might be wrong) is the Irish play a P5 team that doesn't have to be a Top 25 team over a Non P5 conference team.
Playing 11 p5 teams and Navy is a recipe for a 9 and 3 record. You're team will be worn out and theres a reason no team will ever do this. Not smart.

Jack changed the schedule for the better

Not sure why you think this is important, but go ahead and have fun with it. CMU is not in a power 5 conference and should not be looked upon as a quality opponent,

I never said "quality opponent" you just took it that way. CMU is 30th all time in winning % among 130 FBS teams. That is a huge difference between scheduling CMU vs EMU or one of the usual SEC-FCS tilts.

I would rather see ND play a Oklahoma State then a Central Michigan,

good example because

WATCH: CMU shocks Oklahoma St. on controversial untimed Hail Mary lateral TD - CBSSports.com

that Okie Lite team finished #11 at 10-3;

I never said "quality opponent" you just took it that way. CMU is 30th all time in winning % among 130 FBS teams. That is a huge difference between scheduling CMU vs EMU or one of the usual SEC-FCS tilts.

So you posted the fact that CMU is # 30 in all time winning percentage to show what?

So you posted the fact that CMU is # 30 in all time winning percentage to show what?
I posted it because I was very surprised to see the Chips were even a winning program. From the tone of the discussion I'd say everyone else was too.

All's I can say is I readily admit playing CMU is pretty lame, I suppose. No argument there. But I've acquired a taste for making the playoff, and we have to have some cupcakes if we want to seriously aspire to that. That's just a scheduling principle and practice that you gotta commit to. Or at least I subscribe to that philosophy.

We got four more years of BK, and I want to make the playoff at least once more in that time. So bring on the Chippewas!

You sort of are making that argument. If you don't play a Top 25 or P5 team every week, then by default you will have to play a Central Michigan-type school once or twice.

I posted it because I was very surprised to see the Chips were even a winning program. From the tone of the discussion I'd say everyone else was too.
I think I heard Grand Valley has the highest win percentage in all of CFB. It's a meaningless stat without considering the competition.

I think I heard Grand Valley has the highest win percentage in all of CFB. It's a meaningless stat without considering the competition.

WTF are you talking about? Grand Valley is D-2 school, and they play other D-2 schools. Are you actually suggesting they need to play in a P5 conference for their relative achievements to have any merit? That it's somehow harder for Alabama to win games in the SEC than it is for Grand Valley to beat whoever it's normal opponents are in the D-2 ranks?

WTF are you talking about? Grand Valley is D-2 school, and they play other D-2 schools. Are you actually suggesting they need to play in a P5 conference for their relative achievements to have any merit? That it's somehow harder for Alabama to win games in the SEC than it is for Grand Valley to beat whoever it's normal opponents are in the D-2 ranks?
Yes, that's exactly what I am saying. Their winning percentage is "relative to their competition", not ours. Thus their winning percentage, just like CMU's winning percentage, which is where this discussion began, is meaningless relative to assessing whether they belong on our schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT