ADVERTISEMENT

ND Should Finish OK Tomorrow

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
ND looking to add 4-6 more players to a decent class on the 2nd signing day tomorrow. It appears Meyer has slapped ND around again and landed 5 star OT Nick Petit-Frere. Most expect CB Noah Boykin to choose Florida.

The best ND can hope for is a fringe top 10 class that adds

4 star WR Lawrence Keys
4 star OT Jarrett Patterson (UCLA lean)
3 star RB C'Bo Flemister
3 star DE Derrick Eason
3 star CB DJ Brown

Decent, but unspectacular finish. Pretty par for the course at Notre Dame. Just nothing exciting about ND after losing arguably their two best coaches to get them over the top with some key guys.

On to 2019. Hope springs eternal as they say. Here is to hoping they can do better next year!

Reactions: justified1
NPF should not mention academics as being important ever again if that is the case.
I think they say that because it sounds impressive to the people who follow recruiting. Reality is, for every Derek Allen, who was actually sincere, there's 25 kids who are bull$hitting everyone. A few years ago one of the "academics are very important" kids came down to ND and Oklahoma and picked Oklahoma, where the grad rate for black kids is below 50%.

I wouldn't say school are not strong in academics based solely off of the football players graduation rate. Most all schools can be as academical challenging as you make them. I am sure OSU has programs that are respected and challenging........ on the other end, I am sure they have a basket-weaving program that is heavily attended by the athletes.

I wouldn't say school are not strong in academics based solely off of the football players graduation rate. Most all schools can be as academical challenging as you make them. I am sure OSU has programs that are respected and challenging........ on the other end, I am sure they have a basket-weaving program that is heavily attended by the athletes.
Like so many things in life it comes down to probabilities, not absolutes. And history is the main way we judge probabilities.

The highlighted statement above is not the point. Sure, almost every high profile school can boast "strong academics" if the only criteria is whether or not the institution has strong, highly accredited courses and degrees to offer. If that was the only criteria then, really, very few institutions would stand out academically and recruits would almost always be better off choosing the school that has the best football program. But that idea is absurd because graduation rates really do matter. Why? Because graduation rates show how committed each school is to their student-athletes. A school that has a low graduation rate for its student-athletes shows they aren't really committed to their athletes' academic endeavors. They put the burden on each individual to make the most out of their college tenure. Schools with high graduation rates show the opposite. They show they really are dedicated to making sure their students succeed.

Here are a few things from Coach D about it:

Here's what a parent of a recruit said to me once about Ohio State.....

"Got seduced by Urban...they do spin a good story and are relentless with it (they prob recruited ----- better than any other school) ...they recruited me, my wife and ----- with Real Life Wednesday and Internship Program, etc. It's a good story they tell if you don't know how to peel back the layers and get to what's real"

I was given permission to repeat that as long as the name of the recruit was removed.

Problem is a lot of parents don't know how to peel back the onion, and the ND staff didn't do a good enough job with it, and hasn't been with other non OL.

Also:

The highlighted statement above is not the point. Sure, almost every high profile school can boast "strong academics" if the only criteria is whether or not the institution has strong, highly accredited courses and degrees to offer. If that was the only criteria then, really, very few institutions would stand out academically and recruits would almost always be better off choosing the school that has the best football program. But that idea is absurd because graduation rates really do matter. Why? Because graduation rates show how committed each school is to their student-athletes. A school that has a low graduation rate for its student-athletes shows they aren't really committed to their athletes' academic endeavors. They put the burden on each individual to make the most out of their college tenure. Schools with high graduation rates show the opposite. They show they really are dedicated to making sure their students succeed.
I get your point and agree... my point is saying that someone can care about academics and go to a State school over a private school.

I don't think the line of thinking that going to Ohio State over Notre Dame dooms you to 4 years of academic exile and a degree that holds little value, is in any way accurate. Surely, if you want a top undergrad business degree, for example, Mendoza is going to be more attractive to you than Ohio State's equivalent, but it would be ridiculous for any of us to suggest that the thousands of people that graduate from Ohio State on an annual basis aren't going to be just fine.

Some people on this board, and other similar ND boards parrott the idea that your choices for a future in life are restricted to Notre Dame, Stanford, Cal, Vanderbilt, Duke, Wake Forest, Northwestern, the Ivy League schools, and a handful of other post secondary opportunities. Any objective person knows that is laughably inaccurate. That is particularly true of a future NFL left tackle like Nick Petit-Frere. At Ohio State he will challenge for the playoffs and a national title on a regular basis. He will receive the same, or similar development as a football player that will propel him towards the NFL, which is likely his dream and his easiest and shortest path to riches. He will have substantially more time to dedicate to his craft as a football player and in all that, Nick will still have the ability to pursue any degree he may want in case football doesn't work out or he has a goal post football... It's all about the individual guys. As it is in every other element of life. If Nick wants to play for a National Championship, get drafted into the NFL and get his degree, that is up to him. Academic resources are available at every school should you choose to pursue them. Every school has its own alumni network that can help you later in life. Notre Dame's is obviously stronger and maybe even stronger than most, but acting like a kid who says he is serious about academics then chooses Ohio State is obviously lying is a complete overreaction and a coordinated fallacy. By the same argument, I could argue that of you are serious about football, you should go to Ohio State or Alabama, where you will have more time and resources to hone your craft. Yet ND fans like to argue that one tooth and nail touting ND's draft success as proof you will receive equal tutoring in football at Notre Dame...

I think people fail to see the whole picture. By all reports Nick is the complete package, on and off the field. What makes you thi k he isn't autonomous and self motivated enough to get himself a quality degree that would net him a job, while playing football for a coach who puts more guys in the NFL than any of his peers (he and Saban area toss up) and a program that routinely is in the hunt for a national championship. Plus, who the hell wouldn't want to be part of that recruiting class? That kind of recruiting effort shows complete commitment to winning... Winners want to be around winners.

Winners want to be around winners - But then do kids who are academically inclined want to be around other kids who are academically inclined? When Caleb Kelly said he was focused on academics and then chose OU with their below 50% graduation rate for AA football players....... He better be self-motivated, because the kids in his football dorm and in the LB meetings are sure as heck not going to be.

Urban just straight up owns Kelly in recruiting because he's more convincing and works harder at it. Period. The same way politicians sell and convince their way into office, elite recruiters do the sane to build elite recruiting classes.

I have 2 great stories directly from a former recruiting coordinator that had to go head-to-head against Vinny Cerrato on the recruiting trail when he was at Notre Dame. The crap that guy pulled to win in recruiting makes the things Urban does look like childsplay.

Reactions: GoIrishDoc
Winners want to be around winners - But then do kids who are academically inclined want to be around other kids who are academically inclined? When Caleb Kelly said he was focused on academics and then chose OU with their below 50% graduation rate for AA football players....... He better be self-motivated, because the kids in his football dorm and in the LB meetings are sure as heck not going to be.

That's fine. What does it matter what his peers are doing? Think like an Alpha, not a Beta... Caleb Kelly can do whatever the hell he wants at Oklahoma, including getting a degree, playing in the playoffs and competing for a national championship and developing into an NFL linebacker. The only thing in his way would be him.

What's with the emphasis on group think only when it comes to academics?

Urban just straight up owns Kelly in recruiting because he's more convincing and works harder at it. Period. The same way politicians sell and convince their way into office, elite recruiters do the sane to build elite recruiting classes.

I have 2 great stories directly from a former recruiting coordinator that had to go head-to-head against Vinny Cerrato on the recruiting trail when he was at Notre Dame. The crap that guy pulled to win in recruiting makes the things Urban does look like childsplay.

Or you could say Urban flat out lies to kids. I’m sure you have read the quotes from Q Nelson’s dad about what Urban told them. Or Derrick Allen’s family & their stories?

ND isn’t Harvard. Both are great institutions where you can get a great education, but ND isn’t Harvard.
With that same reasoning, OSU isn’t ND.

The stats released that show the discrepancies in athletic graduation rates (especially African American & football players) compared to other students is almost criminal. The feds investigated multiple Big 10 schools, includng Michigan & OSU about 10 years ago because of NAACP complaints about minority graduation rates among athletes. ND in the same period was tied for first at 98%, & that’s with ALL athletes reauired to take degree-seeking courses to graduate in 4 years.

We can say ND doesn’t recruit as good as they should, but what ND needs to do is what Coach D said, which is call out the BS Urban spouts about them & make it clear to everyone he is a pathological liar, who covered for a serial killer & multiple felons at Florida. ND is too nice. They need to at least defend themselves. When Urban tells Q Nelson that he will hate ND, South Bend is garbage, his family felt unsafe, it was the worst years of his life, & going there will be the biggest regret of his life...ND needs to fight back.

I’m not saying ND should ever turn into a dirtbag like Urban, or shuffle kids through classes like OSU, but they need to crank up the intensity & punch back.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
ND looking to add 4-6 more players to a decent class on the 2nd signing day tomorrow. It appears Meyer has slapped ND around again and landed 5 star OT Nick Petit-Frere. Most expect CB Noah Boykin to choose Florida.

4 star WR Lawrence Keys
3 star RB C'Bo Flemister
3 star DE Derrick Eason
3 star CB DJ Brown

Decent, but unspectacular finish. Pretty par for the course at Notre Dame. Just nothing exciting about ND after losing arguably their two best coaches to get them over the top with some key guys.

On to 2019. Hope springs eternal as they say. Here is to hoping they can do better next year!
For as hard as they tried not much of a class .

Or you could say Urban flat out lies to kids. I’m sure you have read the quotes from Q Nelson’s dad about what Urban told them. Or Derrick Allen’s family & their stories?

ND isn’t Harvard. Both are great institutions where you can get a great education, but ND isn’t Harvard.
With that same reasoning, OSU isn’t ND.

The stats released that show the discrepancies in athletic graduation rates (especially African American & football players) compared to other students is almost criminal. The feds investigated multiple Big 10 schools, includng Michigan & OSU about 10 years ago because of NAACP complaints about minority graduation rates among athletes. ND in the same period was tied for first at 98%, & that’s with ALL athletes reauired to take degree-seeking courses to graduate in 4 years.

We can say ND doesn’t recruit as good as they should, but what ND needs to do is what Coach D said, which is call out the BS Urban spouts about them & make it clear to everyone he is a pathological liar, who covered for a serial killer & multiple felons at Florida. ND is too nice. They need to at least defend themselves. When Urban tells Q Nelson that he will hate ND, South Bend is garbage, his family felt unsafe, it was the worst years of his life, & going there will be the biggest regret of his life...ND needs to fight back.

I’m not saying ND should ever turn into a dirtbag like Urban, or shuffle kids through classes like OSU, but they need to crank up the intensity & punch back.

Winner! This is my point. Vinny Cerrato was a savage recruiter. As "on the line" as anybody in the recruiting world, tactically speaking, during that time frame. This grandiose idea that ND sells itself to all kids is completely false... Cerrato battled tooth and nail, under Holtz, for every elite recruit... And it got dirty.

ND needs to punch back or continue getting left behind.

Last edited:
The difference is at ND you actually earn the degree and it is worth something to you in life when needed. Many players (though stats show not that many!) can graduate from Ohio State but did they earn a real degree and actually come out a better person? That is the question.

Reactions: Pennick4
I don't think the line of thinking that going to Ohio State over Notre Dame dooms you to 4 years of academic exile and a degree that holds little value, is in any way accurate. Surely, if you want a top undergrad business degree, for example, Mendoza is going to be more attractive to you than Ohio State's equivalent, but it would be ridiculous for any of us to suggest that the thousands of people that graduate from Ohio State on an annual basis aren't going to be just fine.

Some people on this board, and other similar ND boards parrott the idea that your choices for a future in life are restricted to Notre Dame, Stanford, Cal, Vanderbilt, Duke, Wake Forest, Northwestern, the Ivy League schools, and a handful of other post secondary opportunities. Any objective person knows that is laughably inaccurate. That is particularly true of a future NFL left tackle like Nick Petit-Frere. At Ohio State he will challenge for the playoffs and a national title on a regular basis. He will receive the same, or similar development as a football player that will propel him towards the NFL, which is likely his dream and his easiest and shortest path to riches. He will have substantially more time to dedicate to his craft as a football player and in all that, Nick will still have the ability to pursue any degree he may want in case football doesn't work out or he has a goal post football... It's all about the individual guys. As it is in every other element of life. If Nick wants to play for a National Championship, get drafted into the NFL and get his degree, that is up to him. Academic resources are available at every school should you choose to pursue them. Every school has its own alumni network that can help you later in life. Notre Dame's is obviously stronger and maybe even stronger than most, but acting like a kid who says he is serious about academics then chooses Ohio State is obviously lying is a complete overreaction and a coordinated fallacy. By the same argument, I could argue that of you are serious about football, you should go to Ohio State or Alabama, where you will have more time and resources to hone your craft. Yet ND fans like to argue that one tooth and nail touting ND's draft success as proof you will receive equal tutoring in football at Notre Dame...

I think people fail to see the whole picture. By all reports Nick is the complete package, on and off the field. What makes you thi k he isn't autonomous and self motivated enough to get himself a quality degree that would net him a job, while playing football for a coach who puts more guys in the NFL than any of his peers (he and Saban area toss up) and a program that routinely is in the hunt for a national championship. Plus, who the hell wouldn't want to be part of that recruiting class? That kind of recruiting effort shows complete commitment to winning... Winners want to be around winners.
Pretty sure OSU hasn't had the success of ND as far as putting OL men into the upper echelon of NFL draft. Nobody really knows NPF. He could get a quality education/degree at OSU but he would much more likely get one at ND.
Winners also want to be challenged in everything they do. I think this is a good recruiting class in areas of need. In reality we won't know that for several years. I think the program will withstand the loss of of Hall of Fame coach Elko.

Eason an academic casualty it seems.
So he will not be signing with ND now.

Really not much of a conclusion to our recruiting . Expect I ND to drop its # 10 recruiting ratings

The idea that there are "some on this ND board who parrot the idea that your choices for a future in life are restricted to ND, Stanford, Cal, Vandy, Duke, WF, NW, and Ivy League schools" may be true depending on what you mean by "some". If "some" means the "extreme minority" then I agree with you but it certainly sounds like you think a lot of us think that way. We don't. What we have said is that if academics is a stated priority for a recruit then, hell yes, there are definitely a handful of schools that stand out in that area above the rest. Are you suggesting that the value of a degree from some of the institutions you named doesn't stand above most other institutions? And if the answer to that question is that anyone can get a quality education just about anywhere then you have missed the point. No one is really disputing that. We are saying some schools offer more than others. Are you arguing that no school stands out academically? If not, please list the schools you think offer the best academics with quality athletics. Another question: Are you also saying that schools that graduate student-athletes at a much higher rate than other institutions aren't showing more commitment to their student-athletes? I think the answer to that question is obvious but I'd like to see what you have to say.

There are a lot of kids who prioritize other things over academics - early playing time, winning program, best chance to get to the NFL, nice weather, close to home, etc. No one faults a kid for choosing a school for any of those reasons. But if a Minnesota kid says "I want to play close to home" but then chooses Wyoming he is probably going to get some criticism. If a kid says academics is important but then chooses a school who graduates 50% of its players over a school that graduates 90%, he is probably going to get some criticism.

NPF can choose to go to a school for whatever reason he chooses. But if his choices don't match his words then no one should be surprised if he gets criticized.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennick4
NPF, like so many NFL dreamers is not thinking of a 40 year career.
ND added some needed defensive talent. There is enough offensive talent in this class to go with a talented offensive roster. CB, RB and OT will be the targeted areas in ‘19.

NPF, like so many NFL dreamers is not thinking of a 40 year career.
ND added some needed defensive talent. There is enough offensive talent in this class to go with a talented offensive roster. CB, RB and OT will be the targeted areas in ‘19.

Not enought talent on either line and not enough numbers on the defensive line. Jayson Ademilola is the only lineman, offensive or defensive, that pushes the needle at all for ND. In comparison, the teams ND is recruiting against LOADED up again. In particular, ND's defensive end recruiting has been an attrocity over the past two years.... Again.

That said, they definitely landed some nice recruits this cycle.

Reactions: jcswoopnh

4 star WR Lawrence Keys
3 star RB C'Bo Flemister
3 star DE Derrick Eason
3 star CB DJ Brown

Well, at least ND can say we are a great coaching feed to the elite teams. Just imagine this class had we held onto our coaches.

4 star WR Lawrence Keys
3 star RB C'Bo Flemister
3 star DE Derrick Eason
3 star CB DJ Brown
Keys and Patterson are the only two big timers on that list as the others are only guys that will probably mainly sit the bench most of the time while at nd unless one of them turns into a will fuller surprise type of player

The number one major at Ohio State for football is sports entertainment. Enough said.

Keys and Patterson are the only two big timers on that list as the others are only guys that will probably mainly sit the bench most of the time while at nd unless one of them turns into a will fuller surprise type of player

Patterson is overrated. He was a 3 Star until Michigan & ND offered. He isn’t going to be as good as anybody in the ND class before him or after. About the same as the other OL in ND’s class.
Brown is the sleeper. Clemson & OSU both wanted him, and is a late bloomer.

If they can get Brown and he develops that is a win. Flemister gives them some much needed depth. Eason would have been a body at DE. Need 5 DE's next year to make up for the misses the last two years.

Not enought talent on either line and not enough numbers on the defensive line. Jayson Ademilola is the only lineman, offensive or defensive, that pushes the needle at all for ND. In comparison, the teams ND is recruiting against LOADED up again. In particular, ND's defensive end recruiting has been an attrocity over the past two years.... Again.

Always nice to hear from Vince Lombardi.

as stated OSU (Meyer) may be the best recruiter ever. I believe OSU talent is much better than Alabama. Alabama recruits on players in the pros And success. I still think this class is top 10 and better than last years. I also believe kelly is pushing the recruiting as a must have as a coaching staff. At least now unlike in the past

Eason an academic casualty it seems.
So he will not be signing with ND now.
This post seems... under-considered. Is this 24th hour speculation or done deal? This submarines my hot take post coming where I ask somebody to compare Eason vs Malik Vann film since we passed on vann under the guise of “tweener” and “we’re in on better specs.” Man we should learn our lesson on WDE recruiting one of these days.

This post seems... under-considered. Is this 24th hour speculation or done deal? This submarines my hot take post coming where I ask somebody to compare Eason vs Malik Vann film since we passed on vann under the guise of “tweener” and “we’re in on better specs.” Man we should learn our lesson on WDE recruiting one of these days.

I’m surprised nobody else has commented on it, but the mods have stated it is all but done.

Here’s the gist. He passed admissions process, but is very borderline. ND was willing to work with him but today he called to let ND know he was signing with them tomorrow but told the coaches he didn’t think he could handle the academic load demanded at ND that far from home. The coaches decided it was probably not going to work if he already had reservations. So it seems both sides have doubts, so he is going to stay home with NC State.

Always nice to hear from Vince Lombardi.

In your opinion, has ND landed adequate talent or numbers along the defensive line to compete at the highest level? When you factor in the another DE transfer (MacCollister) this cycle, in the past two classes they have landed...

WDE: Kofi Wardlow (3 star)
WDE: Justin Ademilola (3 star)
SDE: Nobody
3 Tech: Myron Tagavailoa-Amosa
3 Tech: Kurt Hinish (3 star)
3 tech: Jayson Ademilola (4 star)
NG: Darnell Ewell (4 star)
NG: Jamion Franklin (3 star)

In your estimation, is 7 defensive lineman, including ZERO SDEs and a total of two, 3 star WDEs, good or even adequate recruiting? Forget the fact that the group is comprised of a total of 5 three star players and 2 four star players, and ZERO composite top 100 players, although Jay Ade damn well should be...

Last edited:
In your opinion, has ND landed adequate talent or numbers along the defensive line to compete at the highest level? When you factor in the another DE transfer (MacCollister) this cycle, in the past two classes they have landed...

WDE: Kofi Wardlow (3 star)
WDE: Justin Ademilola (3 star)
SDE: Nobody
3 Tech: Kurt Hinish (3 star)
3 tech: Jayson Ademilola (4 star)
NG: Darnell Ewell (4 star)
NG: Jamion Franklin (3 star)

In your estimation, is 6 defensive lineman, including ZERO SDEs and a total of two, 3 star WDEs, good or even adequate recruiting? Forget the fact that the group is comprised of a total of 4 three star players and 2 four star players, and ZERO composite top 100 players.
Does a starting freshman they out dueled USC not make the cut?

Does a starting freshman they out dueled USC not make the cut?

Forgot about Myron. Thanks for the correction. Added him to list, which now at 7. Another interior guy, however, not a defensive end and also not a starter. Tillery and Bonner were ND's respective starters at NG and 3 Tech in 2017.

I’m surprised nobody else has commented on it, but the mods have stated it is all but done.

Here’s the gist. He passed admissions process, but is very borderline. ND was willing to work with him but today he called to let ND know he was signing with them tomorrow but told the coaches he didn’t think he could handle the academic load demanded at ND that far from home. The coaches decided it was probably not going to work if he already had reservations. So it seems both sides have doubts, so he is going to stay home with NC State.

Did admissions scare him off or NCST or another school pushing you cannot do this Notre Dame is too difficult? I dunno Notre Dame needs sure up their story how they help student-athletes succeed.

Reactions: justified1

4 star WR Lawrence Keys
3 star RB C'Bo Flemister
3 star DE Derrick Eason
3 star CB DJ Brown

another cheap shot i see. really lowering yourself no ?

opinion nothing more. time will tell the story.

very well said. Also worth noting that when a high school athlete says "academics are important to me" that doesn't mean he is interested in attending only a top tier academic institution. It might just mean, he won't consider a school where academics aren't important. In that light, I can see a kid choosing OSU over, say, an Alabama or Ole Miss.

another cheap shot i see. really lowering yourself no ?

Cheap shot? How so.

I think I've been completely fair about ND recruiting this cycle. I've stated on multiple occasions that I think ND killed it with Jurkovec, Jay Ade, Simon, Austin, Lenzy, Allen and Griffith. I think they also landed a couple nice underrated pieces in this class in Brown, Bracy and Mabry and a really good all around linebacker corps, with a couple key misses, but an all around excellent unit otherwise.

That said, I also think they came up short on talent and numbers along the defensive line for the 2nd year in a row and they failed to land a true left tackle prospect for the 2nd year in a row as well. They also failed to secure a single 5 star player yet again... The guys that turn out to be Clausen, Floyd, Rudolph, Te'o, Smith, Tuitt, Nelson etc, and that too is an issue when you face the kind of schedule ND does.

I don't think being critical is a "cheap shot". I'm simply looking at the class and forming an opinion. Making a comment like "Urban slapped ND around again" is simply stating the truth. Let's face it. He wins way more head-to-head battles against ND for elite players than he loses.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT