ADVERTISEMENT

ND media package $65-$72 Million

I have been hearing the chicken littles claim the sky is falling on ND for about 50 years now
If someone thinks ND is in trouble ask them this. How many D-1 football teams are there? How many have made the playoffs more than ND? Seems like they are doing pretty well to me.

Reactions: HotCarNut
If someone thinks ND is in trouble ask them this. How many D-1 football teams are there? How many have made the playoffs more than ND? Seems like they are doing pretty well to me.
Kelly was a very good coach; he just was not top tier which is what you need now at ND. We HAVE the talent; we just need better coaching. You cannot win a NC at ND in this day and age without a top tier coach.

I am confused by this. Schools cannot he part of the payments of any NIL deal. So how does an increase in ND's revenue help with NIL ?. They cannot use the funds for that purpose. When people speak of raising money for collectives they are discussing raising it from boosters and outside firms.

Also, how did you get to your number? The current ACC deal averages $15 million per year, but Notre Dame is earning $22 million annually due to the backloaded nature of the contract. NBC only gets home games so let's say seven per year. Has NBC agreed to pay around 8 million per home game? That would mean they would value a season at over 94 million. If that standard were applied to the BIG the value of that deal would be over 1.5 billion dollars. Or are you including bowl and CFB championships on your calculations.

In any even could you please break the numbers down?

Not picking on you beach. You seem like a pretty sensible guy. Just trying to maybe answer your question.

The issue isn’t NIL when it comes to paying players. That’s pretty much still the Wild Wild West and pretty much out of the school’s hands (or at least it’s supposed to be). The issue is revenue sharing with the players.

Kevin Warren has all but announced officially that the Big Ten WILL be revenue sharing with the players in the near future. Possibly as soon as next year when their new media Contract goes into effect.

NIL might be able to reel in the five star pretty objects. But revenue sharing will reel in all the grunts you need to control the line of scrimmage. If other Conferences aren’t revenue sharing, or at least trying to, but not able to keep up, they will inevitably begin to fall behind.

The question is is Notre Dame willing to revenue share as an Independent? If not, it may become VERY hard to compete with the likes of schools like Rutgers, and, ESPECIALLY the West Coast Big Ten schools down the road.

Reactions: HotCarNut and 4-4-3
Not picking on you beach. You seem like a pretty sensible guy. Just trying to maybe answer your question.

The issue isn’t NIL when it comes to paying players. That’s pretty much still the Wild Wild West and pretty much out of the school’s hands (or at least it’s supposed to be). The issue is revenue sharing with the players.

Kevin Warren has all but announced officially that the Big Ten WILL be revenue sharing with the players in the near future. Possibly as soon as next year when their new media Contract goes into effect.

NIL might be able to reel in the five star pretty objects. But revenue sharing will reel in all the grunts you need to control the line of scrimmage. If other Conferences aren’t revenue sharing, or at least trying to, but not able to keep up, they will inevitably begin to fall behind.

The question is is Notre Dame willing to revenue share as an Independent? If not, it may become VERY hard to compete with the likes of schools like Rutgers, and, ESPECIALLY the West Coast Big Ten schools down the road.
I was CLUELESS regarding what you say here about REVENUE SHARING. That's OUTRIGHT PAYMENT from the schools, rather than the PAYMENT IN KIND compensation that is a SCHOLARSHIP or the THIRD-PARTY/SIDE-DEAL that is NIL.

And I would think it puts ND between a ROCK AND A HARD PLACE.

First, REVENUE SHARING is not likely to fit ND's MISSION STATEMENT. Second, even if it chooses to join a conference for OTHER REASONS -- should that ever be deemed preferable -- it certainly won't be ABLE TO if it doesn't agree -- AS A MATTER OF PRINCIPLE -- to sharing its take with what were once called student athletes.

What strikes me is that each recent step CFB has taken has put ND at a greater disadvantage in its efforts to continue to COMPETE REALISTICALLY while at the same time ADHERING TO THAT OLD TIME RELIGION -- ITS MODEL.

The Portal, NIL, super-conferences and NOW THIS.

I wonder if BRIAN KELLY saw much of this COMING. Did he leave in a dinghy at FIRST SITE OF THE BERG? I never took Kelly to be a fool.

Reactions: BUFFALO LION

If you take it on the level "Name Image Likeness" means that the payor is actually using the NIL and deriving some benefit for it, then the only parties who use the NIL happen to be the only ones who are not paying; universities and tv networks. The others are just incentives from fans. The used car dealership in Birmingham is not selling a single more cars because they have posters that no customers see.

The question is is Notre Dame willing to revenue share as an Independent? If not, it may become VERY hard to compete with the likes of schools like Rutgers, and, ESPECIALLY the West Coast Big Ten schools down the ro
Th

What you write makes sense. My concern was with the numbers used by some posters. If someone thinks the BIG members get 100 per year from the media agreement, they are wrong. They may get that amount when all revenue steams are considered, or in the final years of a back-loaded contract, but they won't average 100 per year. While the BIG is at 14 teams 100 per year would be 1.4 billion dollars per year When it adds SC and UCLA it would be at 1.6 billion per year. That is not the value of the agreement. If it were a seven year contract would be worth 10.8 billion. This one isn't.

It is important when discussing this to use real numbers.

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
Th

What you write makes sense. My concern was with the numbers used by some posters. If someone thinks the BIG members get 100 per year from the media agreement, they are wrong. They may get that amount when all revenue steams are considered, or in the final years of a back-loaded contract, but they won't average 100 per year. While the BIG is at 14 teams 100 per year would be 1.4 billion dollars per year When it adds SC and UCLA it would be at 1.6 billion per year. That is not the value of the agreement. If it were a seven year contract would be worth 10.8 billion. This one isn't.

It is important when discussing this to use real numbers.

Yep. You are pretty much right. Except that there is a VERY SPECIFIC CLAUSE in the contract that SPECIFICALLY IDENTIFIES AND NAMES Notre Dame. No other ADDITION is SPECIFICALLY named in the Contract BY NAME except Notre Dame. There is a special carve out in the Contract just for them.

Jack Swarbrick and John Jenkins are fully aware of this clause and were fully involved with the negotiations.

With escalators, the Contract allows at least $75 million dollars per team over the last six years of the Contract if the Big Ten goes to 20 teams. BUT THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE NOTRE DAME. The special escalator clause wrt Notre Dame is not public knowledge, but Jack Swarbrick and John Jenkins are very aware of it. They know exactly how much more the Big Ten would receive if they joined the Conference and what their cut would be.

In other words, the $9 billion escalator over the final 6 years of the contract if we go to 20 teams does NOT include Notre Dame. That figure is only known by the higher ups at Notre Dame, the Big Ten, and the Media Partners. And that figure would obviously be much higher than the publicly released figure of $10 billion wrt escalators.

The most leverage Notre Dame has under this new Big Ten Contract is right now. They can help select the four teams that will join (them obviously being one), and they can help put the schedule together to their liking.

There is a point arriving soon, some say as early as October 15, where Notre Dame will lose their leverage. Some say that leverage can extend to July 1, 2023. But by then, it will probably be too late to have much say in who will be added or preferred scheduling arrangements.

Let me make this clear. Notre Dame would ABSOLUTELLY be accepted by the Big Ten after July 1, 2023 if they wanted to join. But, their cut would have to be divided by at least one additional school (they would be the 21st team instead of the 20th), and the Divisional/pod/Conference Championship setup and the like will have already been determined. There would of course be some wiggle room, but not nearly to the extent there is now.

Last edited:
It’s not all about revenue from just one source. With this new deal, ND will stay in the top programs in revenue.

Yes, Rutgers might make more from their conf revenue but it pails to advertising, brand sales, etc. Going into a conference we would see those drop over the next 2 decades.

ND is a small tiny school in a dying Midwest with a dying catholic base. Relevancy is independence. Joining a conference puts you on par with wake, Purdue, GA tech, Stanford and all other acedemic non-state schools IMO.

ND also has a rabid fan base and it’s very large. There is nothing stopping anyone from starting a club or business to support NIL. It’s a joke and we should take advantage of it. I could take my LLC, take donations of 10.00 a year from all ND fans and sponsor a 100m team. Just let me know when your all ready to drop 10.00 and I will go get our DE back.

It’s not all about revenue from just one source. With this new deal, ND will stay in the top programs in revenue.

Yes, Rutgers might make more from their conf revenue but it pails to advertising, brand sales, etc. Going into a conference we would see those drop over the next 2 decades.

ND is a small tiny school in a dying Midwest with a dying catholic base. Relevancy is independence. Joining a conference puts you on par with wake, Purdue, GA tech, Stanford and all other acedemic non-state schools IMO.

ND also has a rabid fan base and it’s very large. There is nothing stopping anyone from starting a club or business to support NIL. It’s a joke and we should take advantage of it. I could take my LLC, take donations of 10.00 a year from all ND fans and sponsor a 100m team. Just let me know when your all ready to drop 10.00 and I will go get our DE back.

Yes, but everyone can do NIL. That’s not the issue. Are you willing to share your MEDIA REVENUE that you get from NBC and the ACC with your players? That’s what you will have to do in the very near future to keep up with the Big Tens and SECs of the World.

Reactions: 4-4-3
Yes, but everyone can do NIL. That’s not the issue. Are you willing to share your MEDIA REVENUE that you get from NBC and the ACC with your players? That’s what you will have to do in the very near future to keep up with the Big Tens and SECs of the World.
You need not worry about Notre Dame. Notre Dame will be just fine.

Reactions: ftnfan62
Well right now it is not legal under NCAA rules. If it becomes legal I think everyone will do it. I am not sure why ND wouldn't if it were proper under the rules.

Keep driving home that revenue sharing point. If, indeed, that’s the future, it’s the ULTIMATE GAME-CHANGER. If every MAJOR PROGRAM is paying their players, and ND is not, what does ND do?

Wave its MAGIC 4 and 40 WAND?

Did ND just not lose a 5-star reputedly over money? Would our poster colleague consider EXPANDING HIS LLC to INCLUDE REVENUE SHARING? And do it with the PROCEEDS of DONATIONS from ND NATION? Not likely.

I had a coach who was fond of saying FOOTBALL IS GLORY. Well, it is as long as there isn’t MONEY TO BE HAD. Then the dollars TAKE PRECEDENCE. Football – and OBVIOUSLY more and more at the college level – is, first and foremost, A BUSINESS.

ND, if it intends TO COMPETE AT THE HIGHEST LEVELS IN COLLEGEIATE SPORTS, is going to have to make a series of tough BUSINESS DECISIONS – not ones grounded in SENTIMENTALITY-DRIVEN IDEOLOGY.

And from what I’ve seen and heard from Swarbrick, HE KNOWS THIS.

The other point is, the conferences AT ANY TIME could simply establish a MEMBERS ONLY POLICY for the PLAYOFFS. And there could come a point where ND simply won’t have the leverage to negotiate its way in. And that could be SOONER THAN LATER.

I’ve NO IDEA what ND’s actual $$$ and cents objectives are, but whatever it decides must be FINANCIALLY REALISTIC. The game has now been monetized in a way that only TV promotion, execution and product delivery can achieve. This isn't Rockne's BARNSTORMING-RAMBLER ND, Frank Leahy's WW II VETS or Lou Holtz's ENDLESS STABLE OF RUNNING BACKS.

This is DIGITAL ND 2.0. NEW LANDSCAPE, NEW DEMANDS.

Right, as in pay your players. Just like any other fully-fledged professional sport, which is where CFB most certainly IS headed. And that's what ND said they would never be a part of. As if that were some sort of principled stand to take. I'm torn on that, as someone who's a lifelong, born-and-raised ND fan, but who otherwise has absolutely zero affinity for ND's cult-like, holier than thou, pretty harshly conservative culture and worldview, notwithstanding their superficial nods to supposedly being all 'progressive'.... that if ND were true to their word, and effectively de-emphasized their football program, then the rest of the sport would just be rid of them, which would not be such a bad thing....

But ND will never do that. ND's very institutional existence is bound up in their football program, and they would not be the fancy-pants, prestigious academic school they are today without it. They basically bought their prestige, with football money, when Father Hesburgh made it his mission to turn ND into some Ivy League college, which he seems to have went about doing very methodically and deliberately. Pretty much assembling the best university money could buy, paying for top professors,. etc. And now it's become a destination college for HS academic achievers and strivers. Whereas when my dad attended in the 60s, it was more of just a regular Catholic university, of which are there are myriad in this country. But only ND made it their mission to reach these highest US news and world report heights. Then again only ND has the means to really try something like that. And Hesburgh was an impressive, redoubtable dude, and he pulled it off...

So ND is just bluffing when they say they'll never outright pay their players. They don't want to pay the players, they want to keep keeping all that money for themselves, and keep the plantation system going. But SCOTUS has put paid to that scam, and it's only a matter of time before full professionalization is here. And if ND no longer played D-1 football, I would fully expect their institutional status to plummet as well, so obviously they're not going to let that happen....

Right, as in pay your players. Just like any other fully-fledged professional sport, which is where CFB most certainly IS headed. And that's what ND said they would never be a part of. As if that were some sort of principled stand to take. I'm torn on that, as someone who's a lifelong, born-and-raised ND fan, but who otherwise has absolutely zero affinity for ND's cult-like, holier than thou, pretty harshly conservative culture and worldview, notwithstanding their superficial nods to supposedly being all 'progressive'.... that if ND were true to their word, and effectively de-emphasized their football program, then the rest of the sport would just be rid of them, which would not be such a bad thing....

But ND will never do that. ND's very institutional existence is bound up in their football program, and they would not be the fancy-pants, prestigious academic school they are today without it. They basically bought their prestige, with football money, when Father Hesburgh made it his mission to turn ND into some Ivy League college, which he seems to have went about doing very methodically and deliberately. Pretty much assembling the best university money could buy, paying for top professors,. etc. And now it's become a destination college for HS academic achievers and strivers. Whereas when my dad attended in the 60s, it was more of just a regular Catholic university, of which are there are myriad in this country. But only ND made it their mission to reach these highest US news and world report heights. Then again only ND has the means to really try something like that. And Hesburgh was an impressive, redoubtable dude, and he pulled it off...

So ND is just bluffing when they say they'll never outright pay their players. They don't want to pay the players, they want to keep keeping all that money for themselves, and keep the plantation system going. But SCOTUS has put paid to that scam, and it's only a matter of time before full professionalization is here. And if ND no longer played D-1 football, I would fully expect their institutional status to plummet as well, so obviously they're not going to let that happen....
ND has a collective. Does it not get the players money?

You do love to see yourself gas.
Love the ND haters as they are proven wrong on a daily basis.

ND has a collective. Does it not get the players money?
Yes they do. And I'm dying to know the details as much as you are. Given how tight-lipped ND is about anything money, I don't think they want any of that info to get out. The one thing to know, I think I'm on solid ground in saying, is that players will do charity work, rather than sign autographs or whatnot, as far as putting their NIL to actual use.... And other than that I think it's a black box. Not that there's too much mystery involved in making monetary disbursements to scholarship athletes.

ND has a huge endowment, on account of the sentimental power, let's say, of the football team and their storied history and all the rest of it, so one would think that fans and alums might copiously donate to such a fund. Especially knowing that ND will administer such a fund in a more dignified, discreet manner in keeping with the school's pristine self-image. ND seemingly made no attempt, or at least not enough of one, to match Oregon for Dante Moore, but that's in character for ND, as that would be WAY TOO trashy, as well as breaking the NCAA's totally unenforceable, illegal rules on pay for play and recruiting. So there's that. And then there was the press release, announcing the launch of the collective. And not much else info out there to go on.

In any case, I tentatively presume ND players already on the roster are making something, assuming the fund is actually up and running and is a going concern, but I don't really know. Eventually it will get out, how ND's slush fund actually works, and some of the secret details that aren't meant for public consumption.

“Wave its MAGIC 4 and 40 WAND?”

The disdain for ND from this poster w/ the sheer number of backhanded posts he/she writes makes one wonder if he/she is truly an ND fan or a hater in disguise. It’s kinda like his/her love for china & hatred for the US during the beginnings of COVID. He/she loves to hear himself/herself speak w/ long winded paragraphs and big smart sounding words, but it nevertheless always ends up w/ a bash of ND in some form or fashion. Arrogant know it all is all I see when he/she posts. I know I can put it on ignore but would rather not even dignify any effort on said poster. 🤮

You have an amazing imagination. Revenue sharing won't happen, and i'll give you real reasons as to why vs your fantasy utopia of college sports.
1. If conferences and it's member schools decide to go the route of revenue sharing, that will have to include all sports, not just football, all student athletes, not just the football athletes.
2. Many of the athletic departments in the BIG10 are running deficits as it is. One example is Rutgers with a 73 million deficit in 2021. If the new deal gets them $75-$80 million, they'll end up blowing it all. Until these departments start to manage their budgets properly, there will be no revenue sharing as there will be nothing left to share.

Last edited:
Amusing to watch the ignorant try and portray themselves as knowledgeable.
You do worse then most.
I guess we're both amused, then! I took some mild amusement in your quaint use of the word gas...

Whereas my ignorance and vain and pitiful attempts at pretending to knowledge amuses you. I guess that makes it a wash! Fancy that.....

You have an amazing imagination. Revenue sharing won't happen, and i'll give you real reasons as to why vs your fantasy utopia of college sports.
1. If conferences and it's member schools decide to go the route of revenue sharing, that will have to include all sports, not just football, all student athletes, not just the football athletes.
2. Many of the athletic departments in the BIG10 are running deficits as it is. One example is Rutgers with a 73 million deficit in 2021. If the new deal gets them $75-$80 million, they'll end up blowing it all. Until these departments start to manage their budgets properly, there will be no revenue sharing as they'll be nothing left to share.
What do you think Rutgers spent on to possibly run that deficit?

2. Many of the athletic departments in the BIG10 are running deficits as it is. One example is Rutgers with a 73 million deficit in 2021. If the new deal gets them $75-$80 million, they'll end up blowing it all. Until these departments start to manage their budgets properly, there will be no revenue sharing as there will be nothing left to share.
Looks like 5 US Senators see it differently.

Here's a piece on the concept from, I believe, 2020:

Revenue Sharing

And here's an update from earlier in the month on a bill which INCLUDES REVENUE SHARING that's now being reintroduced.

College Athlete Bill of Rights

My guess is that there will be BIPARTISAN SUPPORT. The LEFT will see it as a SOCIAL JUSTICE ISSUE, while the RIGHT, most of whom hail from FOOTBALL CRAZY STATES, will wish to keep the RECRUITING PIPELINE FLOWING.

In an economy that has been as thoroughly MONETIZED as ours -- one in which there's a market for NON-FUNGIBLE DIGITAL TOKENS (NFT'S), for instance -- whatever CAN BE MONETIZED, WILL BE MONETIZED. And whoever can GET IN ON THE PROCESS as a "STAKEHOLDER" will MOST LIKELY SUCCEED.

Why?

Because EVERY NEW ENTRANT INTO THE RENTIER CLASS provides by definition more FEES and KNOCK-ON BUSINESS for the EXISTING RENTIER INFRASTRUCTURE of finance types, accountants, lawyers, regulators, agents, administrators and "counsellors"' of every description. How do I know this? In my spare time, I'M STILL ONE OF THEM.

Any group that has a PRODUCT IN GREAT DEMAND that can MUSCLE ITS WAY TO THE TABLE and TAKE AGENCY OVER WHAT IT PRODUCES will ALWAYS be WELCOMED -- AS LONG AS its participation increases the OVERALL TAKE of the ENTERPRISE -- in this case CFB.

And given how well the MONETIZATION STEPUP has worked in pro sports -- TV contracts, merch, endorsements, branding, gambling, celebrity cults and, lest I forget, NIL -- there's a very good chance that ALL PARTICIPANTS will wind up both FATTER AND HAPPIER once CFB has undergone the SAME TRANSFORMATION.

And if Jack Swarbrick doesn't realize all of this, then he's not the guy people think he is. But IN MY OPINION, HE REALIZES IT ALL ONLY TOO WELL.

ND may look like it has it all under control, but more change is coming and to an extent that over time, its UNIQUE WAY OF DOING THINGS will become increasingly more difficult to implement. Assuming it wishes to continue on in the direction that ALL OF SPORTS is now moving.

Last edited:
Looks like 5 US Senators see it differently.

Here's a piece on the concept from, I believe, 2020:

Revenue Sharing

And here's an update from earlier in the month on a bill which INCLUDES REVENUE SHARING that's now being reintroduced.

College Athlete Bill of Rights

My guess is that there will be BIPARTISAN SUPPORT. The LEFT will see it as a SOCIAL JUSTICE ISSUE, while the RIGHT, most of whom hail from FOOTBALL CRAZY STATES, will wish to keep the RECRUITING PIPELINE FLOWING.

In an economy that has been as thoroughly MONETIZED as ours -- one in which there's a market for NON-FUNGIBLE DIGITAL TOKENS (NFT'S), for instance -- whatever CAN BE MONETIZED, WILL BE MONETIZED. And whoever can GET IN ON THE PROCESS as a "STAKEHOLDER" will MOST LIKELY SUCCEED.

Why?

Because EVERY NEW ENTRANT INTO THE RENTIER CLASS provides by definition more FEES and KNOCK-ON BUSINESS for the EXISTING RENTIER INFRASTRUCTURE of finance types, accountants, lawyers, regulators, agents, administrators and "counsellors"' of every description. How do I know this? In my spare time, I'M STILL ONE OF THEM.

Any group that has a PRODUCT IN GREAT DEMAND that can MUSCLE ITS WAY TO THE TABLE and TAKE AGENCY OVER WHAT IT PRODUCES will ALWAYS be WELCOMED -- AS LONG AS its participation increases the OVERALL TAKE of the ENTERPRISE -- in this case CFB.

And given how well the MONETIZATION STEPUP has worked in pro sports -- TV contracts, merch, endorsements, branding, gambling, celebrity cults and, lest I forget, NIL -- there's a very good chance that ALL PARTICIPANTS will wind up both FATTER AND HAPPIER once CFB has undergone the SAME TRANSFORMATION.

And if Jack Swarbrick doesn't realize all of this, then he's not the guy people think he is. But IN MY OPINION, HE REALIZES IT ALL ONLY TOO WELL.

ND may look like it has it all under control, but more change is coming and to an extent that over time, its UNIQUE WAY OF DOING THINGS will become increasingly more difficult to implement. Assuming it wishes to continue on in the direction that ALL OF SPORTS is now moving.
Legislating it is a far cry from a conference introducing it. Those bills will never see the light of day, at least not until inflation is under control and things are back to where they were pre-pandemic. The rest of your novel I refused to read.

Reactions: NIN Irish
Legislating it is a far cry from a conference introducing it. Those bills will never see the light of day, at least not until inflation is under control and things are back to where they were pre-pandemic. The rest of your novel I refused to read.
Reading a few sentences is all I can read. The good thing about his posts, they are easy to skip.

Reactions: NDinNJ and francade
Never is forever.

Plus, we haven’t seen a NEVER yet in the evolution of MONEY IN SPORTS. From MONEY’S PERSPECTIVE, sports is still an ever-expanding GOLD MINE.

That could change if we go into a serious or even RECORD-SETTING STAGFLATIONARY DEPRESSION. But then ALL bets are off with EVERYTHING.

Plus + plus, revenue sharing doesn’t have to happen tomorrow. A several year window is more likely than not.

And if Congress can’t make it happen, there's always SCOTUS which with its current CONSERVATIVE SUPER-MAJORITY is IDEOLOGICALLY TILTED towards FREE ENTERPRISE FOR ALL. Players included.

SCOTUS has already UPHELD IN PRINICPLE payments to college athletes. Revenue sharing is merely the NEXT LOGICAL DOMINO.

And IRONICALLY ENOUGH, here comes Jack Swarbrick in that recent interview HOPING that Congress will ACTUALLY STEP IN and “FIX” NIL.

What I’m CAUTIONING AGAINST is the notion that all of these issues will somehow get settled in a way that will UNILATERALLY FAVOR ND’s INTERESTS.

And that ND somehow has the power to MAKE THAT HAPPEN even if it FLIES IN THE FACE of what the rest of CFB wants and/or decides to do.

If there’s REVENUE SHARING and ND refuses to engage in it, then it will be OUT. The best players – like the kid who just de-committed in favor of Bama – won’t come just to play for God, Country & ND.

Frankly, that’s been FAIRY TALE STUFF for a VERY LONG TIME NOW.

Form the media deal? Here is what the sporting news syas:

It depends on when and if it expands. It is backloaded, but the easy way is that it is reported to be 1.1 billion per year. Divide that by 16 and you don't get 100 million, that would be 1.6 billon. It comes out to around 68 million per team, but that is if you are only talking about the new contract.
You're forgetting about the revenue generated from cable subscribers to the BIG10Network. The media money the BIG hands out isn't just from the TV contract that was just negotiated. It's also net profit from the network, which was a huge reason the BIG wanted USC & UCLA to push that network into the west coast markets.

Never is forever.

Plus, we haven’t seen a NEVER yet in the evolution of MONEY IN SPORTS. From MONEY’S PERSPECTIVE, sports is still an ever-expanding GOLD MINE.

That could change if we go into a serious or even RECORD-SETTING STAGFLATIONARY DEPRESSION. But then ALL bets are off with EVERYTHING.

Plus + plus, revenue sharing doesn’t have to happen tomorrow. A several year window is more likely than not.

And if Congress can’t make it happen, there's always SCOTUS which with its current CONSERVATIVE SUPER-MAJORITY is IDEOLOGICALLY TILTED towards FREE ENTERPRISE FOR ALL. Players included.

SCOTUS has already UPHELD IN PRINICPLE payments to college athletes. Revenue sharing is merely the NEXT LOGICAL DOMINO.

And IRONICALLY ENOUGH, here comes Jack Swarbrick in that recent interview HOPING that Congress will ACTUALLY STEP IN and “FIX” NIL.

What I’m CAUTIONING AGAINST is the notion that all of these issues will somehow get settled in a way that will UNILATERALLY FAVOR ND’s INTERESTS.

And that ND somehow has the power to MAKE THAT HAPPEN even if it FLIES IN THE FACE of what the rest of CFB wants and/or decides to do.

If there’s REVENUE SHARING and ND refuses to engage in it, then it will be OUT. The best players – like the kid who just de-committed in favor of Bama – won’t come just to play for God, Country & ND.

Frankly, that’s been FAIRY TALE STUFF for a VERY LONG TIME NOW.
Yawn. Idiots like you have been forecasting the end of ND for a very long time and you will be wrong this time as well.
Love how much effort you put into your drivel; obviously you have no life.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Yawn. Idiots like you have been forecasting the end of ND for a very long time and you will be wrong this time as well.
Try reading his comments and posts just prior to retiring for the evening. You'll sleep like a baby.

If you're happy with how ND manages to SPIT THE BIT every year, then that's all that counts.

But since you chose to get NASTY, you're headed to IGNORESVILLE. So, PERSONALLY ATTACK me all you want. I'll never hear a word of it.

The “revenue sharing” will come directly from the Big Ten Conference to the players. Rutgers will never see any of that money directly.

You seem to still be confusing “NIL” with “revenue sharing”. You give a great example of Notre Dame’s dilemma in reverse.

Notre Dame, being an Independent, would be in the exact position you are putting Rutgers in. Notre Dame would have to run their own “Revenue Sharing Program” internally, if they even decided to offer one. Notre Dame would have to worry about all the regulatory, litigatory, and compliance issues involved with the process themselves, and distribute the revenues to the athletes directly.

Rutgers, on the other hand, will have this all done for them by the Big Ten Conference. They won’t have to worry about NEARLY all the minutia Notre Dame will, as an Independent.

If Notre Dame, as an Independent, decides that a Revenue Sharing Program is not for them, great. But it will be harder to compete with Big Ten schools for players across the Board (especially at the line of scrimmage) if you rely solely on NIL.

With respect to the “other sports” you mention, Men’s Basketball would also be included.

Kevin Warren has indicated revenue sharing COULD possibly trickle down to the other sports, but there are ways to neutralize the legalities of Title IX if the money is coming from the Conference instead of directly from the schools. Notre Dame, as an Independent, wouldn’t have that advantage wrt their Independent football Program. So you are right. Independent Notre Dame, as compared to the Big Ten Conference, may have more Title IX issues to deal with than a Rutgers would.

A Title IX legal challenge to CONFERENCE revenue sharing wrt football and basketball players would be suicide for women’s sports, because then the football and basketball players would just Unionize.

Reactions: 4-4-3 and HotCarNut
Here is the truth whether you want it or not. We will never get a Keely or any other 5 star player with the money being thrown at these guys now.. If we want to play with the big boys, we have to pay like they do. I'm not sure why that is difficult to understand.

No one wants to see ND football disappear into a club sport, but does anyone really expect the BOT to allow the football team to get into bidding wars for players?

Here is the truth whether you want it or not. We will never get a Keely or any other 5 star player with the money being thrown at these guys now.. If we want to play with the big boys, we have to pay like they do. I'm not sure why that is difficult to understand.

No one wants to see ND football disappear into a club sport, but does anyone really expect the BOT to allow the football team to get into bidding wars for players?
Nonsense

ADVERTISEMENT