ADVERTISEMENT

ND media package $65-$72 Million

It amounts to 80 to 100 million a year. What are you hearing
Form the media deal? Here is what the sporting news syas:
It amounts to 80 to 100 million a year. What are you hearing
It depends on when and if it expands. It is backloaded, but the easy way is that it is reported to be 1.1 billion per year. Divide that by 16 and you don't get 100 million, that would be 1.6 billon. It comes out to around 68 million per team, but that is if you are only talking about the new contract.

Doesn't matter. Unless ND is willing to go the bagman route, they can no longer compete for elite players. NIL is one thing on its own, but it now provides cover for other pay for play schemes. Used to be Cadillac Escalades were the status symbols for elite recruits - now it will be a lake house and a boat.

Alabama has no pro teams. Even if they did, it would be a novelty. Columbus has no pro football. The Buckeyes fill that role, and they have the same culture as a lot of the southern teams. You could have looked in the parking lot 30 years ago and seen dozens of luxury vehicles. There is a reason why they have been the only northern team in the last 25 years to seriously compete for a NC.

I'll be honest - I don't think ND will want to play this game, and long-term, may even break off with some other schools and let the semi-pro teams have college football. I know that sounds dramatic, but I just don't see ND going this route, and i don't think they want to be a laughingstock either.
Other than to note that Birmingham has a USFL team and Columbus a pro soccer team, your point is well taken regarding the more critical roles Alabama and OSU play in their respective sports landscapes.

I also agree with you that NIL could prevent ND from keeping pace in RECRUITING, quickly OFFSETING any SUSTAINABLE UPGRADE Freeman MIGHT deliver.

But I'm not sure ND will easily DROP OUT of TOP-LINE competition. Nor do I think it should. In the event, it could very well depend on whether or not PRINCIPLE ALONE OVER ALL ELSE feels as GLORIOUS when the WIN COLUMN IS SHRINKING.

But that would be the PRINCIPLED and COURAGEOUS THING TO DO. Namely, to join a conference and risk going 8-5 a lot more than 11-2 and with a few more 4-7 and 5-6 campaigns thrown in as well.

If ND were to have the courage to NOT GO NIL BAGMAN yet still join a conference and TAKE WHAT CAME, then I would say that IT INDEED HAS CORE VALUES.

But when you're winning at a 70% or better clip, whether or not you're practicing CORE VALUES gets LOST IN TRANSLATION.

The proof that you're PRINCIPLED = NOT QUITTING in the face of more ADVERSTIY than you're used to.

Form the media deal? Here is what the sporting news syas:

It depends on when and if it expands. It is backloaded, but the easy way is that it is reported to be 1.1 billion per year. Divide that by 16 and you don't get 100 million, that would be 1.6 billon. It comes out to around 68 million per team, but that is if you are only talking about the new contract.
Espn threw out the 80 to 100. But you are saying is even less than that?

Espn threw out the 80 to 100. But you are saying is even less than that?
Once again it depends on what you mean. If you mean the media deal apart from Bowl, Champ game etc. then yes. One of the reasons ND doesn't need as much base media pay is that as an independent it doesn't split bowl and playoff revenue with other conference teams. So when you compare ND to other teams/conferences you have to separate the two sources.

Here is how Dennis Dodd explains the BIG deal:

When USC and UCLA join the Big Ten in 2024, each of the 16 Big Ten schools will receive an average of $75 million annually from media rights. That does not include revenue from the College Football Playoff, bowl games or the NCAA Tournament, which can vary from school-to-school. All media rights deals are typically backloaded, peaking in the final years of the agreements.

Because of the non-split ND can compete with total revenue with a lowed media base.

But for those who don't believe Dodd, think of it this way. What is 100 million times 16 teams?. 1.6 billion right? What is 1.6 billion times 7 years? 11.2 billion. Anyone seen anything saying this was an 11.2 billion dollar deal? A lot of the pre-deal figures that were out there were pure speculation.

Last edited:
Once again it depends on what you mean. If you mean the media deal apart from Bowl, Champ game etc. then yes. One of the reasons ND doesn't need as much base media pay is that as an independent it doesn't split bowl and playoff revenue with other conference teams. So when you compare ND to other teams/conferences you have to separate the two sources.

Here is how Dennis Dodd explains the BIG deal:

When USC and UCLA join the Big Ten in 2024, each of the 16 Big Ten schools will receive an average of $75 million annually from media rights. That does not include revenue from the College Football Playoff, bowl games or the NCAA Tournament, which can vary from school-to-school. All media rights deals are typically backloaded, peaking in the final years of the agreements.

Because of the non-split ND can compete with total revenue with a lowed media base.

But for those who don't believe Dodd, think of it this way. What is 100 million times 16 teams?. 1.6 billion right? What is 1.6 billion times 7 years? 11.2 billion. Anyone seen anything saying this was an 11.2 billion dollar deal? A lot of the pre-deal figures that were out there were pure speculation.
That's funny how everyone thought they were going to get so much and we would be way behind but that's not reality at all

That's funny how everyone thought they were going to get so much and we would be way behind but that's not reality at all
True. But there were also exaggerations about how much team were currently getting. That's why I ask where the OP was getting his numbers.

From what I can tell ND is getting 37 mil now. 22 from NBC and 15 from the ACC. So they have about a 38 million dollar get to close with the BIG. Since the ACC money is locked in through 2034 that means NBC would have to more then double what they pay now after already spending a ton on the BIG deal.

Under the BIG deal, NBC will broadcast 14 to 16 games each season, headlined by the 7:30 p.m. time slot, which will be referred to as Big Ten Saturday Night. Eight football games will also appear on Peacock, NBC Universal's direct-to-consumer streaming service. They will pay 350 million

So how much is this per game? It depends on the number. If the Peacock games and simulcast then NBC will pay 25 million if 14 games, and 21.9 million if 16 games. If, as I believe the Peacock are not simulcast the with pay 14.5 million for 24 games.

To get 75 million for ND home game would cost far less than that. Only around 10 million if there are seven home games. But the BIG deal also includes rights to other sports. Currently ND gets only 15 million from the ACC. Three million a game and 22 million from NBC, about the same.

In short, who knows?

Last edited:
I think ND could easily spend a ton on NIL, and have great success using it to build and sustain their roster at a top level. But of course the problem will be how fussy and prissy and self-serving they're going to be about it. Obviously, for now at least, it would be way too tacky and trashy to get into bidding wars for the Dante Moores of the world. But for everyone else on the roster, and all the other positions which are not going to command glitzy 7 and 8 figure signing bonuses, those kids should be able to make out very well, and ND can be all discreet about it, which presumably they're going to totally insist on when it comes to any payouts, and of course the guys will have to do charity work, rather than doing local TV spots and whatnot...

So they might lose Dante Moore to Oregon, but at all the other less glamorous positions, as in the entire rest of the roster of any football team, they might be very competitive as far as how much a player might to stand to make being at ND. I don't know how much that collective BQ is heading is raking in to be divvied up, maybe ND alums and donors are still just too predisposed to being all squeaky clean, and so aren't giving that much. Even though the arch right-wing and avidly pro-business SCOTUS declared it illegal to block players from making money. And the NCAA, being the scumbag, cockroach organization that it is, is nevertheless continuing to attempt to forbid players from making money, despite the SCOTUS' condemnation, and ND, who puts their brand and their image before life itself, is siding with the NCAA in their continued illegal and iniquitous attempts to suppress the players' incomes. So for that reason alone ND should get on the trolley here, and not in any way show loyalty to the evil NCAA....

Break away, ND! And save yourself! It's nice that you offer the players a legit education, but you otherwise were exploiting them as badly as any other school, and there's no undoing that. The best thing you could do is reject your exploitative past, and embrace this new era, and make it as easy as possible for your players to earn money, including direct cash payments from donors. Pay for play! Otherwise you're still trying to hold on to the plantation system......
Interesting take, much of which I agree with. But you do realize that you’ve just launched not just a flanking attack but a full frontal assault on ND “CORE VALUES.”

But to be honest, specifically equating those values, which undergird not only the SUMMUM BONUM but also the SINE QUA NON that is ND’s 4 YEARS/FOREVER PITCH with the NCAA’s PLANTATION SYSTEM, is an original thought that EVERYONE should reflect on.

Namely, VIRTUOUS INTENTIONS can lead to UNFORESEEN INEQUITIES.

But regarding NIL, what good is a system that facilitates disbursing funds to the team at large if there’s still no way to LAND BIG FISH LIKE MOORE? Hasn’t that been ND’s problem since it clamped down on Holtz? Those MARQUEE PLAYERS – all of whom are now PRIME CANDIDATES for big NIL PAYDAYS – will now be just as elusive as ever, perhaps even MORE SO.

Sure, ND should break away from ALL of what you describe as its “PRISSY” practices. And ON THAT, I couldn’t be more in agreement with you. But do you honestly think that it will?

My take is that it MAY come to grips with the NEW REALITY and accept a kind of INEVITABLE PLACE IN IT – but only on its own terms. Which will of necessity then result in putting itself at a DISADVANTAGE. In other words, it will attempt to compete but HONORABLY.

And while in many ways that would be COMMENDABLE and true to ITS “CORE VALUES” – and in a MORE HONEST AND NON-CONTRADICTORY WAY – it’s still UNLIKELY to secure for it either the necessary PREMIUM PLAYERS or an NC.

So again . . . IT’S GROUNDHOG DAY.

Interesting take, much of which I agree with. But you do realize that you’ve just launched not just a flanking attack but a full frontal assault on ND “CORE VALUES.”

But to be honest, specifically equating those values, which undergird not only the SUMMUM BONUM but also the SINE QUA NON that is ND’s 4 YEARS/FOREVER PITCH with the NCAA’s PLANTATION SYSTEM, is an original thought that EVERYONE should reflect on.

But regarding NIL, what good is a system that facilitates disbursing funds to the team at large if there’s still no way to LAND BIG FISH LIKE MOORE? Hasn’t that been ND’s problem since it clamped down on Holtz? Those MARQUEE PLAYERS – all of whom are now PRIME CANDIDATES for big NIL PAYDAYS – will now be just as elusive as ever, perhaps even MORE SO.

Sure, ND should break away from ALL of what you describe as its “PRISSY” practices. And ON THAT, I couldn’t be more in agreement with you. But do you honestly think that it will?

My take is that it MAY come to grips with the NEW REALITY and accept a kind of INEVITABLE PLACE IN IT – but only on its own terms. Which will of necessity then result in putting itself at a DISADVANTAGE. In other words, it will attempt to compete but HONORABLY.

And while in many ways that would be COMMENDABLE and true to ITS “CORE VALUES” – and in a MORE HONEST AND NON-CONTRADICTORY WAY – it’s still UNLIKELY to secure for it either the necessary PREMIUM PLAYERS or an NC.

Another money solves everything if you are willing to sell your soul minion.

Go root for Alabama or someone like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: francade
Another money solves everything if you are willing to sell your soul minion.

Go root for Alabama or someone like that.
If you have evidence that SOULS exist, kindly forward it.

Money CLEARLY EXISTS, and it RULES. ND included.

What you're doing here is confusing rooting for a team with BELONGING TO A CULT.

As for my leaving, that's NOT YOUR CALL. You have no OWNERSHIP INTEREST in this site.

Sorry.

Does anybody know how far ND is behind already? How much they haven't made, and have already lost by being independent, like right up until today? It's been several years, right, that ND has been underpaid for its services, compared to almost or indeed every other league, so how badly have we been outearned in the last ten years or whatever.... Is it already well over a hundred million?
I'm gonna let you extrapolate the final numbers but they're about 4 mill short compared to ACC teams and about 9-10 short of the old/current Big10 agreement.

I'm gonna let you extrapolate the final numbers but they're about 4 mill short compared to ACC teams and about 9-10 short of the old/current Big10 agreement.
ND gets 15 from the ACC and 22 from NBC for a total of 37 million under their current deals. When SC and UCLA join the BIG they will be getting 75 million per team, so if they keep their current deals (the ACC will stay the same, the NBC will go up). they would be 38 million behind, but of course that won't happen. I think right now at the end of a backloaded contract BIG teams make around 60 per year so ND is 22 behind. However, ND doesn't have to split bowl and playoff money and get 7 home game and a neutral, so you have to factor that in.

ND gets 15 from the ACC and 22 from NBC for a total of 37 million under their current deals. When SC and UCLA join the BIG they will be getting 75 million per team, so if they keep their current deals (the ACC will stay the same, the NBC will go up). they would be 38 million behind, but of course that won't happen. I think right now at the end of a backloaded contract BIG teams make around 60 per year so ND is 22 behind. However, ND doesn't have to split bowl and playoff money and get 7 home game and a neutral, so you have to factor that in.
I thought we did split post-season money with the ACC; we use their slots so we pay in.

In 2019-2020 season ND got 10.8M from the ACC. With the NBC payout of 15Mill that puts their pre bowl cut around 27 mill which is 6 mill shy of the ACC member. When you add in their post season cut it equals about a 4 mill deficit to the ACC schools and about 8-9 as I'm not going to do all of the research for you guys but feel free to type into google and see what the difference is.

I wasn't benchmarking the new Big10 deal as that would tell us zero about the last 10 years in terms of revenue deficits, you agree? I specified their old/current deal. Their new deal won't take affect for a couple years.. That would be future deal.

They'll likely be 10-20 million short of the new Big10 deal depending on ACC revenue and the new NBC but im not gonna argue that with you as it has nothing to do with the OP I was replying to's question.

I believe that Notre Dame has always valued independence rather than money. There is plenty of money. Even if the Irish ever do decide to join a conference, I think money will be only one of many considerations.

In 2019-2020 season ND got 10.8M from the ACC. With the NBC payout of 15Mill that puts their pre bowl cut around 27 mill which is 6 mill shy of the ACC member. When you add in their post season cut it equals about a 4 mill deficit to the ACC schools and about 8-9 as I'm not going to do all of the research for you guys but feel free to type into google and see what the difference is.

I wasn't benchmarking the new Big10 deal as that would tell us zero about the last 10 years in terms of revenue deficits, you agree? I specified their old/current deal. Their new deal won't take affect for a couple years.. That would be future deal.

They'll likely be 10-20 million short of the new Big10 deal depending on ACC revenue and the new NBC but im not gonna argue that with you as it has nothing to do with the OP I was replying to's question.
These deals are backload. ND average 15 from NBC but last year was paid 22:

The current deal averages $15 million per year, but Notre Dame is earning $22 million annually due to the backloaded nature of the contract.

True. But there were also exaggerations about how much team were currently getting. That's why I ask where the OP was getting his numbers.

From what I can tell ND is getting 37 mil now. 22 from NBC and 15 from the ACC. So they have about a 38 million dollar get to close with the BIG. Since the ACC money is locked in through 2034 that means NBC would have to more then double what they pay now after already spending a ton on the BIG deal.

Under the BIG deal, NBC will broadcast 14 to 16 games each season, headlined by the 7:30 p.m. time slot, which will be referred to as Big Ten Saturday Night. Eight football games will also appear on Peacock, NBC Universal's direct-to-consumer streaming service. They will pay 350 million

So how much is this per game? It depends on the number. If the Peacock games and simulcast then NBC will pay 25 million if 14 games, and 21.9 million if 16 games. If, as I believe the Peacock are not simulcast the with pay 14.5 million for 24 games.

To get 75 million for ND home game would cost far less than that. Only around 10 million if there are seven home games. But the BIG deal also includes rights to other sports. Currently ND gets only 15 million from the ACC. Three million a game and 22 million from NBC, about the same.

In short, who knows?
I don’t know where you’re getting that number? ND is getting $15 million this year from NBC and an additional $7 million from the ACC. This is directly from a July 18th CBS Sports article, and a July 23 Fox Sports story.

“Notre Dame’s current deal, which pays the Irish $15 million a year, will expire in 2025.” Dennis Dodd/Jerry Ratcliffe.

These deals are backload. ND average 15 from NBC but last year was paid 22:

The current deal averages $15 million per year, but Notre Dame is earning $22 million annually due to the backloaded nature of the contract.

Are you arguing with yourself? What's happening here?

They have a long term contract worth an average of 15 mill/year, got it. Move on..

I don’t know where you’re getting that number? ND is getting $15 million this year from NBC and an additional $7 million from the ACC. This is directly from a July 18th CBS Sports article, and a July 23 Fox Sports story.

“Notre Dame’s current deal, which pays the Irish $15 million a year, will expire in 2025.” Dennis Dodd/Jerry Ratcliffe.
I am getting it from the link. What Dodd says is accurate, they got 15 per year of the contract. But it is backload so they got 22 million most recently. It is pretty standard for a media contract and discussed in most articles.

If someone makes 2,3,5,and 10 million over four years they made five million per year over the course of the contract. They also made 10 million in the last year. Note, for example, the larger payouts cited for the BIG deal don't kick in until UCAL and SC join.

You’re claiming ND is making close to the B1G media contract and that’s just nonsense.

I live near Columbus, and I listen to local ESPN radio most everyday during the week. Iv’e heard them say repeatedly that OSU will make over $100 million a year under the new contract. They had Gene Smith on air last week and also recording of B1G commissioner Warren both have stated the new deal is very lucrative and Smith said openly he expects OSU to make in the ball park of $100 million when asked directly.

I guess we’ll just disagree, again $70 million is a lot but it’s not $90-$100 million though either.

You’re claiming ND is making close to the B1G media contract and that’s just nonsense.

I live near Columbus, and I listen to local ESPN radio most everyday during the week. Iv’e heard them say repeatedly that OSU will make over $100 million a year under the new contract. They had Gene Smith on air last week and also recording of B1G commissioner Warren both have stated the new deal is very lucrative and Smith said openly he expects OSU to make in the ball park of $100 million when asked directly.

I guess we’ll just disagree, again $70 million is a lot but it’s not $90-$100 million though either.
You have check what he is referring to. Does he mean total athletic revenue? Distribution from the BUG10? regular season tv licensing from those 3 networks?

I've seen on multiple sites that if you add up the new $7.5 billion deal, the Big Ten network payout, the Bowl games and the CF Playoffs, the projected B1G payout to each team yearly is between $102 and 104 million - that's some huge money which obviously benefits programs like Rutgers and Indiana more than OSU

I’ll tell you that the ACC contract is horrendous. FSU, and Clemson are both openly stating that their tv contract is going to put them in peril.

Today it’s been reported that Rutgers will makes as much as $40 MILLION more per year under the new B1G contract then FSU or Clemson will make per year under their current contract that doesn’t expire until 2036!!!

I've seen on multiple sites that if you add up the new $7.5 billion deal, the Big Ten network payout, the Bowl games and the CF Playoffs, the projected B1G payout to each team yearly is between $102 and 104 million - that's some huge money which obviously benefits programs like Rutgers and Indiana more than OSU
That could be right when you add all those things, but when comparing to other teams you need to add them as well.

I’ll tell you that the ACC contract is horrendous. FSU, and Clemson are both openly stating that their tv contract is going to put them in peril.

Today it’s been reported that Rutgers will makes as much as $40 MILLION more per year under the new B1G contract then FSU or Clemson will make per year under their current contract that doesn’t expire until 2036!!!
Still don't understand why the ACC would lock themselves into something like that - just insane

Approximately $95 to 98 million is from the massive new deal and the Big Ten Network.
I am just saying when you compare to where ND is now you also have to add bowl and championship money, which they don't have to split, because the BIG deal, by itself doesn't pay 95 to 100 million.

You know how I feel about the NCAA. I'm most definitely not sympathetic to their plight. And ironically enough, it seems like it's the SEC, the American south, home of slavery and Jim Crow and all that.... who are the leading force, it sounds like, in wanting to go ahead and fully professionalize, with unions, and get it over with and let these players make money and finally get paid like they oughta be, and much more in keeping with what the market truly will bear.... While ND is pretentiously clinging to what's left of the old paradigm, the plantation system....

And of course, in theory, on paper, ND has so much money to spend on NIL pay for play, in terms of donors that regularly give plenty of money to both the school and the football program, but because they're so holier than thou, they've already lost Dante Moore, and of course wouldn't be caught dead getting their hands dirty in a tawdry bidding war...

However, they do have a collective, they do have a fund set up like all programs do, and being ND it's all discreet and low-key, other than the one press release announcing its launch, and maybe that fund will be able to funnel real money, and substantial sums to players already on the roster, if not to be used in mored nakedly direct violation of the NCAA's dickless, unenforceable bylaw which of course attempts to ludicrously forbid pay for play, which is exactly what the Supreme Court said they cannot do.... and the upshot would be that a player can make a lot of money at ND, conceivably, but they're not going to do the whole signing bonus thing. Just show up, be a contributing member of the team in good standing, and then on the weekends go and pick up your money. After putting in an appearance at the local soup kitchen or something. Which is how ND plans on making use of those NIL rights that they will have paid their players so handsomely for......

The point is, and I certainly don't know at all just exactly how ND's slush fund actually works, or how much money we're actually talking about, that seemingly players could do quite well for themselves coming to ND, and there's no reason for our recruiting to take some existential hit. Even if ND refuses to to ever do anything more literally resembling outright pay for play a la Texas A&M, though that of course is all entirely cosmetic, and everything about NIL is pay for play. But this is ND, and they will bend over backwards to follow the letter of the law, no matter how frivolous or absurdly stupid and unjust. But they're Catholics, so of course they have a martyr complex....

I believe that Notre Dame has always valued independence rather than money. There is plenty of money. Even if the Irish ever do decide to join a conference, I think money will be only one of many considerations.
You believe? It's fact. Notre Dame does not want to be in the Big 10 or in any conference full time for football. And IMO Swarbick will negotiate an Independent TV/Cable deal in the near future that will give Notre Dame what it needs financially.

You know how I feel about the NCAA. I'm most definitely not sympathetic to their plight. And ironically enough, it seems like it's the SEC, the American south, home of slavery and Jim Crow and all that.... who are the leading force, it sounds like, in wanting to go ahead and fully professionalize, with unions, and get it over with and let these players make money and finally get paid like they oughta be, and much more in keeping with what the market truly will bear.... While ND is pretentiously clinging to what's left of the old paradigm, the plantation system....

And of course, in theory, on paper, ND has so much money to spend on NIL pay for play, in terms of donors that regularly give plenty of money to both the school and the football program, but because they're so holier than thou, they've already lost Dante Moore, and of course wouldn't be caught dead getting their hands dirty in a tawdry bidding war...

However, they do have a collective, they do have a fund set up like all programs do, and being ND it's all discreet and low-key, other than the one press release announcing its launch, and maybe that fund will be able to funnel real money, and substantial sums to players already on the roster, if not to be used in mored nakedly direct violation of the NCAA's dickless, unenforceable bylaw which of course attempts to ludicrously forbid pay for play, which is exactly what the Supreme Court said they cannot do.... and the upshot would be that a player can make a lot of money at ND, conceivably, but they're not going to do the whole signing bonus thing. Just show up, be a contributing member of the team in good standing, and then on the weekends go and pick up your money. After putting in an appearance at the local soup kitchen or something. Which is how ND plans on making use of those NIL rights that they will have paid their players so handsomely for......

The point is, and I certainly don't know at all just exactly how ND's slush fund actually works, or how much money we're actually talking about, that seemingly players could do quite well for themselves coming to ND, and there's no reason for our recruiting to take some existential hit. Even if ND refuses to to ever do anything more literally resembling outright pay for play a la Texas A&M, though that of course is all entirely cosmetic, and everything about NIL is pay for play. But this is ND, and they will bend over backwards to follow the letter of the law, no matter how frivolous or absurdly stupid and unjust. But they're Catholics, so of course they have a martyr complex....
so much of your social crap is so stupid.
KInd of forget the Boston reactions to desegreation and such
Or the NY Race riots in 1863.
Or the many other crimes committed by the North over the centuries (why not ask the Chinese and Irish how they were treated by the north in the 19th century and even later

Special shoutout to the FSU AD who complained in public without saying one good word about the ACC. Nothing says "stability" like one member publicly d
eclaring it needs to look out for #1.

Still don't understand why the ACC would lock themselves into something like that - just insane
The ACC wanted more money up front, a few years back, so they had to extend the contract. When anyone does that there is less money in the future.

If they want mo money right now then they can extend to 2056 and set up their successors to whine about it.

I hear you, but what you seem to be describing is an ever narrower needle to thread in that ND will not willfully bid for players but yet will somehow surreptitiously be able to "compensate" the ones it gets. I still see a potential deficit as it's not just the money but the AMOUNT of it. Plus, whatever's not transparent is, optics-wise, a NEGATIVE.

As for me, I go back to the Swarbrick interview and his OBVIOUS CONCERN over what he views as NIL's perversion. My sense is that ND will do what it can but ONLY BY THE BOOK, and that, if nothing changes, THAT WON'T BE ENOUGH over time.

Think back to major league baseball before the institution of the draft. Those richer teams that paid BONUSES got the best players. There was no other determinant. To me, that's where CFB is today with NIL.

It's not just pay to play for the players but for the universities as well. Those that buy players will make out the best.

I don't see how ND overcomes this.

Shake my head at some here for their stupidity.

All these horror stories.

for one a lot of these prospects getting the first big NIL money will FAIL.

There will be some spectacular failures as well.

That will dial a lot of this idiocy back as schools are roasted by their alumni for screwing up.

Also the amount of money spent for each school cannot be spent on NIL. Of course some will try; no surprise. But there are a LOT of people watching all of this now. Its not like it was decades ago when schools like SMU and others were able to get away with so much for a while. Or before that when boosters were buying cars and so on.

Way to many are watching for those kind of things to happen for long before they are exposed.

And guess who will really be watching?

THE IRS which has just been funded HUGELY to spread its spider web even farther.

Now it is inevitable that Congress and the Federal Courts will get involved in all this god help us.

some here are so stupid as to think this will go on for decades like the Wild West.

Wrong.

As usual.

To be blunt it will be nowhere near as bad and last nowhere near as long as some here clearly HOPE it will.

I just listened to comments from Gene Smith that the B1G left a carve out for ND to join the conference at anytime for full media compensation. In fact he said the networks contract would increase by 15% for the B1G if ND does join the B1G.

It’s clear the B1G is willing to play the long game with ND and try to entice them if the climate in CFB changes.

Reactions: HotCarNut
97.1 the Fan, is also claiming that a major negotiating factor between Notre Dame and the B1G is an eight versus nine game conference schedule. Apparently, Notre Dame will not commit to more than an eight game conference schedule to allow for flexibility with they’re out of conference scheduling if they were to join.

Though some sources say that isn’t as big of an obstacle now that USC has join the conference.

Reactions: HotCarNut
What I hear today was that there was an agree price in ND were to join in the future. but the BIG is not expecting ND to join.

So, I’m bored sitting on surveillance and googled ND’s new contract. It appears that ND’s total compensation which includes monies received from their ACC deal will put ND in the number above, that’s the range I’ve seen every estimate so far.

That’s a lot of money but teams like Rutgers, Indiana, Maryland, Purdue, etc. will garner a minimum of $80 million to a maximum of $105 million for the B10 media deal that’s now been finalized.

let’s say ND’s is $70 million total and B1G members are $95 million. In five years that is $125 million more!! That’s a substantial amount of money. I just don’t see ND leaving that kind of money on the table long term.

With coaches like Ryan Day, Harbaugh, Sarkisian, Cristobal, etc calling for their universities to institute large funds for NIL the media $$$ seem even more important now. I’m in Cbus and Day said he is trying to get at least a $13 million agreement for NIL, and many are saying it could go as high as $25 million.

let’s face it, while Bama is a tremendous football institution, they basically bought Keely from what I’m reading. It appears he has 7-10 “sponsors” lined up at Bama already.

I know this has been beaten to death. Folks will misconstrue and think I want ND in a conference, I DO NOT, but I also think remaining a viable competitor at the top of CFB is more important than independence.

I know Freeman is talking a lot about NIL but it seems the University needs to realize how important it is. It seems incomprehensible that ND with NBC and virtually all its games being nationally televised can’t secure major $$ for its athletes.

Its like the QB situation, I can’t figure how a team of NDs reach and exposure can’t secure a highly coveted QB every year but other top 10 programs are literally stacking 4-5 of them on their rosters? Hopefully that’ll change under Freeman, we can keep Carr, and secure another most every year but for two decades it’s been extremely disappointing IMO.
Not sure what to make of the posturing for a tv deal
1- the number is low and hopefully a starting point
2- better have no penalty early exit options because the market is too dynamic
3- read recently that Jack is the dumbest guy in the playoff committee room. I don’t believe that but I am concerned he may undersell ND
4- ND merchandising is unimaginative and could be making hundreds of millions more
5- next 3 years most important financial years ever. if we win a natty we write our own ticket. If we struggle or continue to exit big games with blowout losses, we will maintain the brand equity for awhile but lose the recruiting battles and ultimately become a 9-6 team

Last edited:
Not as Ute what to make of the posturing for a tv deal
1- the number is low and hopefully a starting point
2- better have no penalty early exit options because the market is too dynamic
3- read recently that Jack is the dumbest guy in the playoff committee room. I don’t believe that but I am concerned he may undersell ND
4- ND merchandising is unimaginative and could be making hundreds of millions more
5- next 3 years most important financial years ever. if we win a natty we write our own ticket. If we struggle or continue to exit big games with blowout losses, we will maintain the brand equity for awhile but lose the recruiting battles and ultimately become a 9-6 team
I have been hearing the chicken littles claim the sky is falling on ND for about 50 years now

Reactions: tbonesays
ADVERTISEMENT