ADVERTISEMENT

ND media package $65-$72 Million

Dec 29, 2005
So, I’m bored sitting on surveillance and googled ND’s new contract. It appears that ND’s total compensation which includes monies received from their ACC deal will put ND in the number above, that’s the range I’ve seen every estimate so far.

That’s a lot of money but teams like Rutgers, Indiana, Maryland, Purdue, etc. will garner a minimum of $80 million to a maximum of $105 million for the B10 media deal that’s now been finalized.

let’s say ND’s is $70 million total and B1G members are $95 million. In five years that is $125 million more!! That’s a substantial amount of money. I just don’t see ND leaving that kind of money on the table long term.

With coaches like Ryan Day, Harbaugh, Sarkisian, Cristobal, etc calling for their universities to institute large funds for NIL the media $$$ seem even more important now. I’m in Cbus and Day said he is trying to get at least a $13 million agreement for NIL, and many are saying it could go as high as $25 million.

let’s face it, while Bama is a tremendous football institution, they basically bought Keely from what I’m reading. It appears he has 7-10 “sponsors” lined up at Bama already.

I know this has been beaten to death. Folks will misconstrue and think I want ND in a conference, I DO NOT, but I also think remaining a viable competitor at the top of CFB is more important than independence.

I know Freeman is talking a lot about NIL but it seems the University needs to realize how important it is. It seems incomprehensible that ND with NBC and virtually all its games being nationally televised can’t secure major $$ for its athletes.

Its like the QB situation, I can’t figure how a team of NDs reach and exposure can’t secure a highly coveted QB every year but other top 10 programs are literally stacking 4-5 of them on their rosters? Hopefully that’ll change under Freeman, we can keep Carr, and secure another most every year but for two decades it’s been extremely disappointing IMO.

Doesn't matter. Unless ND is willing to go the bagman route, they can no longer compete for elite players. NIL is one thing on its own, but it now provides cover for other pay for play schemes. Used to be Cadillac Escalades were the status symbols for elite recruits - now it will be a lake house and a boat.

Alabama has no pro teams. Even if they did, it would be a novelty. Columbus has no pro football. The Buckeyes fill that role, and they have the same culture as a lot of the southern teams. You could have looked in the parking lot 30 years ago and seen dozens of luxury vehicles. There is a reason why they have been the only northern team in the last 25 years to seriously compete for a NC.

I'll be honest - I don't think ND will want to play this game, and long-term, may even break off with some other schools and let the semi-pro teams have college football. I know that sounds dramatic, but I just don't see ND going this route, and i don't think they want to be a laughingstock either.

• Haha
Reactions: pem55
Doesn't matter. Unless ND is willing to go the bagman route, they can no longer compete for elite players. NIL is one thing on its own, but it now provides cover for other pay for play schemes. Used to be Cadillac Escalades were the status symbols for elite recruits - now it will be a lake house and a boat.

Alabama has no pro teams. Even if they did, it would be a novelty. Columbus has no pro football. The Buckeyes fill that role, and they have the same culture as a lot of the southern teams. You could have looked in the parking lot 30 years ago and seen dozens of luxury vehicles. There is a reason why they have been the only northern team in the last 25 years to seriously compete for a NC.

I'll be honest - I don't think ND will want to play this game, and long-term, may even break off with some other schools and let the semi-pro teams have college football. I know that sounds dramatic, but I just don't see ND going this route, and i don't think they want to be a laughingstock either.
Nonsense

I agree where you’re coming from.. there has to be a threshold where the trade off for independence needs to be reconciled with the disparity in revenue.

If ND can get 70 million from NBC, it would be reasonable to expect a decent pay bump from the new ACC deal albeit maybe not as drastic as the SEC or Big10 increase.. guessing 15-20 mill.
Still a 20 million deficit but you have to remember they’re sitting on a 10 billion endowment so 20 million/year isn’t going to break the athletic departments budget.

There’s also a CFP component of the revenue sharing that will likely evolve. Jacks not an idiot but I want to know what motives other than honoring tradition.

Reactions: HotCarNut
OP is that you outside my house in the blue sonata?

yeah the discrepancy between the NBC money and the acc money is absurd. That's quite a price for bowl access and a home for other sports. Something's gonna have to give.

Notre Dame doesn't have the overhead giant state schools have. The money is spent totally different. For example, when Notre Dame did the crossroads project, that didn't come from bonds or with the athletic dept fronting the bill (it would at a state school). Notre Dame just opened up a fundraiser and raised half a billion in two weeks. That's just one example.

Consider that osu's athletic department and facilities supports 60,000 students. Notre Dame around 20,000.

Notre Dame doesn't have the overhead giant state schools have. The money is spent totally different. For example, when Notre Dame did the crossroads project, that didn't come from bonds or with the athletic dept fronting the bill (it would at a state school). Notre Dame just opened up a fundraiser and raised half a billion in two weeks. That's just one example.

Consider that osu's athletic department and facilities supports 60,000 students. Notre Dame around 20,000.
Bottom line is that ND football is getting plenty of money to continue to be the way they have been for over 100 years:
INDEPENDENT

Reactions: NDinNJ and mirer03

Notre Dame currently has the #3 recruiting class in the country and a solid shot to finish top 5.

OP is that you outside my house in the blue sonata?

yeah the discrepancy between the NBC money and the acc money is absurd. That's quite a price for bowl access and a home for other sports. Something's gonna have to give.
I don’t think the Fed purchases anything but Ford & Chevy. It seems that that’s our entire fleet. Oh, and Dodge Rams.

Unless you’re a child predator, it’s probably not me.

Reactions: melstew
Does anybody know how far ND is behind already? How much they haven't made, and have already lost by being independent, like right up until today? It's been several years, right, that ND has been underpaid for its services, compared to almost or indeed every other league, so how badly have we been outearned in the last ten years or whatever.... Is it already well over a hundred million?

I know this has been beaten to death. Folks will misconstrue and think I want ND in a conference, I DO NOT, but I also think remaining a viable competitor at the top of CFB is more important than independence.

I know Freeman is talking a lot about NIL but it seems the University needs to realize how important it is. It seems incomprehensible that ND with NBC and virtually all its games being nationally televised can’t secure major $$ for its athletes.

Its like the QB situation, I can’t figure how a team of NDs reach and exposure can’t secure a highly coveted QB every year but other top 10 programs are literally stacking 4-5 of them on their rosters? Hopefully that’ll change under Freeman, we can keep Carr, and secure another most every year but for two decades it’s been extremely disappointing IMO.
ND won't secure massive money because the heart isn't in it. Other schools have no problem being "NFL lite" if you will but ND doesn't want that.

While they can say or can't prevent a kid from getting money they can also do little in the promotion and securing of.
I just don't think they believe in it.

As far as the money from TV.....look at those schools ledgers at years end.

Sure everyone in the Big10 might get 100 million but does Ohio State spend 120 million among the athletic department?

Kind of irrelevant isn't it? If ND gets 70 million and spends less or technically 70 million...

That's all they need...right? You can't use that money to pay players.

So, I’m bored sitting on surveillance and googled ND’s new contract. It appears that ND’s total compensation which includes monies received from their ACC deal will put ND in the number above, that’s the range I’ve seen every estimate so far.

That’s a lot of money but teams like Rutgers, Indiana, Maryland, Purdue, etc. will garner a minimum of $80 million to a maximum of $105 million for the B10 media deal that’s now been finalized.

let’s say ND’s is $70 million total and B1G members are $95 million. In five years that is $125 million more!! That’s a substantial amount of money. I just don’t see ND leaving that kind of money on the table long term.

With coaches like Ryan Day, Harbaugh, Sarkisian, Cristobal, etc calling for their universities to institute large funds for NIL the media $$$ seem even more important now. I’m in Cbus and Day said he is trying to get at least a $13 million agreement for NIL, and many are saying it could go as high as $25 million.

let’s face it, while Bama is a tremendous football institution, they basically bought Keely from what I’m reading. It appears he has 7-10 “sponsors” lined up at Bama already.

I am confused by this. Schools cannot he part of the payments of any NIL deal. So how does an increase in ND's revenue help with NIL ?. They cannot use the funds for that purpose. When people speak of raising money for collectives they are discussing raising it from boosters and outside firms.

Also, how did you get to your number? The current ACC deal averages $15 million per year, but Notre Dame is earning $22 million annually due to the backloaded nature of the contract. NBC only gets home games so let's say seven per year. Has NBC agreed to pay around 8 million per home game? That would mean they would value a season at over 94 million. If that standard were applied to the BIG the value of that deal would be over 1.5 billion dollars. Or are you including bowl and CFB championships on your calculations.

In any even could you please break the numbers down?

Last edited:
Reactions: 88ND
I am confused by this. Schools cannot he part of the payments of any NIL deal. So how does an increase in ND's revenue help with NIL ?. They cannot use the funds for that purpose. When people speak of raising money for collectives they are discussing raising it from boosters and outside firms.

Also, how did you get to your number? The current ACC deal averages $15 million per year, but Notre Dame is earning $22 million annually due to the backloaded nature of the contract. NBC only gets home games so let's say seven per year. Has NBC agreed to pay around 8 million per home game? That would mean they would value a season at over 94 million. If that standard were applied to the BIG the value of that deal would be over 1.5 billion dollars. Or are you including bowl and CFB championships on your calculations.

I don't think he knows or....

Even though says otherwise is just regurgitating the same horseshit said by the talking heads who've been annoyed ND can do what it does as an independent.

Either way who cares. ND get's whatever money they NEED which is what's relevant here more that the actual number.

Does Rutgers need 100 million? Probably not.
Does OSU need 100? They might need 120 million.
Suddenly business decisions make that Big10 deal irrelevant.

I don't know any of their bottom lines but I'd bet Rutgers doesn't spend or NEED what OSU does...bad business decisions or not.

I don't think he knows or....

Even though says otherwise is just regurgitating the same horseshit said by the talking heads who've been annoyed ND can do what it does as an independent.

Either way who cares. ND get's whatever money they NEED which is what's relevant here more that the actual number.

Does Rutgers need 100 million? Probably not.
Does OSU need 100? They might need 120 million.
Suddenly business decisions make that Big10 deal irrelevant.

I don't know any of their bottom lines but I'd bet Rutgers doesn't spend or NEED what OSU does...bad business decisions or not.
Most schools use football revenue to fund non revenue sports, but I doubt even with that they need to amounts talked about.

I agree where you’re coming from.. there has to be a threshold where the trade off for independence needs to be reconciled with the disparity in revenue.

If ND can get 70 million from NBC, it would be reasonable to expect a decent pay bump from the new ACC deal albeit maybe not as drastic as the SEC or Big10 increase.. guessing 15-20 mill.
Still a 20 million deficit but you have to remember they’re sitting on a 10 billion endowment so 20 million/year isn’t going to break the athletic departments budget.

There’s also a CFP component of the revenue sharing that will likely evolve. Jacks not an idiot but I want to know what motives other than honoring tradition.

There is no new ACC deal coming until 2036.

link

Reactions: mirer03
Does anybody know how far ND is behind already? How much they haven't made, and have already lost by being independent, like right up until today? It's been several years, right, that ND has been underpaid for its services, compared to almost or indeed every other league, so how badly have we been outearned in the last ten years or whatever.... Is it already well over a hundred million?
And that matters why?

Are you so obsessed with money that its all you ever think about?

Guess what?

ND is not like Alabama and Texas and so on where its all about the coin.

???????????

I do not understand one word of this.

Since when is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ an issue with Notre Dame Football?

And that matters why?

Guess what?

It was a cold and blustery day in early of February of 1989. I had just received notice that $2700 of my tuition was unpaid, and I would not be allowed to attend classes. I was directed to make my way to the admin building. I was mortified. Upon arrival, I was sent to an office where I explained that I had just had a daughter, had two jobs, and had a loan coming in "any day." The Priest leaves, comes back in 5 minutes later, and sys OK don't worry about it. Deep waves of relief set in, and I said great I'll get that paid very soon. He said "no, don't worry about it, use the money to care for your family." No paper work, no committee, no wait. I was shocked. God Bless Notre Dame--it is clearly not all about money at that special place.

It’s pretty simple, I read several article’s. Try google or DDG, the numbers I posted are from recent articles written about ND’s new contract projections in conjunction with their current ACC deal.

Also, I understand they can’t use tv revenue for NIL. Those other universities are openly stating their intent/goal to generate large pools of dollars for NIL. I’m wondering what ND and Freeman are planning, that’s all.

$95-$105 million Vs $65-$75 million per year is substantial.

And that matters why?

Guess what?

I don't give the tiniest shit. Literally don't give a F. It's what you guys always obsess over. Whether it's how rich ND is, and how we're richer than just about every other program with our massive endowment, even if we have a shitty TV deal. Or how much money we actually get from our current arrangement and it's not as bad as everyone says. You guys talk about it endlessly. Always figuring out new ways to spin it so that ND always comes out looking awesome. Because I guess that means something to you.

And since at this point it seems there's no denying that ND was and has been for a while now definitely getting out-earned, I was just wondering just how bad it was. And let's put a dollar amount on it. So I guess you don't know what that figure is? Any kind of approximation?

I don't give the tiniest shit. Literally don't give a F. It's what you guys always obsess over. Whether it's how rich ND is, and how we're richer than just about every other program with our massive endowment, even if we have a shitty TV deal. Or how much money we actually get from our current arrangement and it's not as bad as everyone says. You guys talk about it endlessly. Always figuring out new ways to spin it so that ND always comes out looking awesome. Because I guess that means something to you.

And since at this point it seems there's no denying that ND was and has been for a while now definitely getting out-earned, I was just wondering just how bad it was. And let's put a dollar amount on it. So I guess you don't know what that figure is? Any kind of approximation?
This dude is as bizarre a poster as I have encountered in these forums.

Funny how some posters that have historically chastised ND for being “all about the money”….are now criticizing them for leaving money on the table to stay independent

typical both sides from these posters

It’s pretty simple, I read several article’s. Try google or DDG, the numbers I posted are from recent articles written about ND’s new contract projections in conjunction with their current ACC deal.

Also, I understand they can’t use tv revenue for NIL. Those other universities are openly stating their intent/goal to generate large pools of dollars for NIL. I’m wondering what ND and Freeman are planning, that’s all.

No it's not. All of that money goes to the athletic department to be disbursed across the ENTIRE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT.

It has nothing to do with nil. Schools do not and cannot use athletic money for nil.

The difference would be in facilities and coaches salaries.

Neither of these are an issue at Notre dame.

When Notre Dame updates facilities they fundraise, instead of using general funds.

Coaches salaries are subsidized by endowments and outside contracts.

You are comparing apples to oranges comparing a big 10 schools who supports more sports and mores students (3x) using almost exclusively the tv money and their apparel money.

Notre dame doesn't have to pay the overhead for all those things out of the tv contract or apparel deal.

Reactions: BGI User 756

Hey Savvy--hope you are doing well. Not trying to harass you here, but one of the things you sometimes do is generalize, like you guys are always talking about money or all of you guys are too into this or that or you guys think a certain way. One of the great things to take from this board is the rich diversity of thought. We are all unified by this unique university, but we are left, and right, and in between, we are rich and struggling, we are young and old, and woke and "get off my lawners". It might be helpful (not trying to antagonize here) to just deal with everyone as an individual and not a caricature, and try to hear their individual POV. Most of us are simply trying to sort out this big, crazy, changing world in good faith.

I have googled it and can't find the numbers you referenced. Since you already have done the math could you please explain it.

For Notre Dame, it isn't substantial, and simply is not an issue in South Bend.

Most schools use football revenue to fund non revenue sports, but I doubt even with that they need to amounts talked about.
What are you saying?

Nobody sees the books of these athletic departments.

Many of these clowns spend every dollar plus money they don't have.

I say again...

Does a Rutgers need 100 million? Not likely.

Does OSU need 100 million? No. They probably need 120 million because they spend every cent plus plus plus all for what? To get kind of close?

I bet a few Big10 teams after the 100 million deal will be in the red by 12/31 and need to pull funds from other areas to pay for xyz.

To some schools they've no clue on how to manage money nor spare any expense.

Some are even instructed to spend what you need to spend no matter what.

Last edited:
Hey Savvy--hope you are doing well. Not trying to harass you here, but one of the things you sometimes do is generalize, like you guys are always talking about money or all of you guys are too into this or that or you guys think a certain way. One of the great things to take from this board is the rich diversity of thought. We are all unified by this unique university, but we are left, and right, and in between, we are rich and struggling, we are young and old, and woke and "get off my lawners". It might be helpful (not trying to antagonize here) to just deal with everyone as an individual and not a caricature, and try to hear their individual POV. Most of us are simply trying to sort out this big, crazy, changing world in good faith.
Well how 'bout this, how about you just not take things personally. And I give you my word of honor, in total 'good faith', that any generalization I make in the future, doesn't include you, and I will address you individually first, before you would ever have any reason to be offended. You're obviously smarter than the average bear, at least amongst the denizens of this particular message board. So of course I don't mean you!

And you can just know that going forward, and always keep it mind, if you start getting all vexed. I think that's a decent compromise. Anyway, you should of thought of that before all the BK shit went down. You're not going to find a more appalling example of modern-day e-mob violent, vicious conformity on the internet than that... But getting back on topic, do you happen to know, if you're into that sort of thing, just how much more ND would have made had they signed up with the Big Ten? It's been well over ten years now since they started getting those big pay packets. It's got to be at least an 8-figure disparity at this point. Or more like nine figures, I think....

What are you saying?

I say again...

Does OSU need 100 million? No. They probably need 120 million because they spend every cent plus plus plus all for what? To get kind of close?

I bet a few Big10 teams after the 100 million deal will be in the red by 12/31 and need to pull funds from other spots to pay for xyz.

To some schools they've no clue on how to manage money nor spare any expense.

Some are even instructed to spend what you need to spend no matter what.
Well first of all I was agreeing with you, ".but I doubt even with that they need to amounts talked about", Secondly, all state schools and many private ones, like USC, publish their financial reports, including athletics.

Well first of all I was agreeing with you, ".but I doubt even with that they need to amounts talked about", Secondly, all state schools and many private ones, like USC, publish their financial reports, including athletics.
Right and yet i have enough life to not go over their books with a fine tooth comb. Do you?

Moreover I still suggest a fair number of these programs need even more money than the 100 million provides and rob Peter to pay Paul.

It's a win at any cost world now. Just like coaches having a short window to succeed. They either succeed in 3 years or 86'd for a new coach. Not all but most want wins and titles instantly!

Your team is one of the worst in this regard of musical coaches.

Pete was the exception...they think he's the rule.

Reactions: ND recruting
I would agree with you. I can't see ND going all out on NIL like say OSU as an example. Whatever they spend in NIL will be well thought out and NOT buying players as some have done. Yet I'm convinced they will get the contract money from NBC/ESPN they are seeking and remain independent for the time being.

Question: Say ND does join the Big 10 in a couple years. Will they allocate money for recruits like Bama, A&M, Georgia, & OSU? I just don't see them going that way. Therefore why join a conference that embraces that position? Unless you're looking to be another Northwestern Univ..

Right and yet i have enough life to not go over their books with a fine tooth comb. Do you?

Moreover I still suggest a fair number of these programs need even more money than the 100 million provides and rob Peter to pay Paul.

It's a win at any cost world now. Just like coaches having a short window to succeed. They either succeed in 3 years or 86'd for a new coach. Not all but most want wins and titles instantly!

Your team is one of the worst in this regard of musical coaches.

Pete was the exception...they think he's the rule.
I don’t understand what points you are trying to make. Are you saying thw schools need or don’t need the money?

Does a Rutgers need 100 million? Not likely. Does OSU need 100 million? No. They probably need 120 million because they spend every cent plus plus plus all for what? To get kind of close?

“Nobody sees the books of these athletic departments.” But the truth is that anyone who wants to sees them.

“With coaches like Ryan Day, Harbaugh, Sarkisian, Cristobal, etc calling for their universities to institute large funds for NIL the media $$$ seem even more important now”. But you understand universities can’t institute large funds for NIL so they aren’t calling for the universities to do it.

“I know Freeman is talking a lot about NIL but it seems the University needs to realize how important it is. It seems incomprehensible that ND with NBC and virtually all its games being nationally televised can’t secure major $$ for its athletes”. ND has it Fiends of Notre Dame NIL program. Why do you say it doesn’t have money? What does Nd being televised by NBC have to do with it.?

But back to my original question. Whether are you getting your numbers? The Big Ten deal doesn’t amount to 95-100 million a year. How did you get the ND number?. What is included and what isn’t? What source did you use?

"Hopefully" and "if" show up a lot in posts lamenting ND's failure to -- what shall we call it -- CLOSE THE DEAL?

Unless something TRULY FUNDAMENTAL CHANGES, ND will likely carry on pretty much as it has for the last THIRTY-FIVE YEARS. And all of the NEGOTIATING WITH THEMSELVES that many posters engage in will most likely wind up in the "HOPEFULLY" and "IF" trash bins.

There's no way that the MAJORITY of outstanding HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL PLAYERS wish to do it ND's way. Especially, given the ALTERNATIVES.

My take is that ND will continue to MAKE DO quite competently -- even courageously -- with those superior players it manages to attract. It may get a fluke No. 1 class or not, but with NIL and the rest of it, ND is unlikely to enter some kind of SUSTAINED RECRUITING RENAISSANCE.

I just don't see it.

Last edited:
I think ND could easily spend a ton on NIL, and have great success using it to build and sustain their roster at a top level. But of course the problem will be how fussy and prissy and self-serving they're going to be about it. Obviously, for now at least, it would be way too tacky and trashy to get into bidding wars for the Dante Moores of the world. But for everyone else on the roster, and all the other positions which are not going to command glitzy 7 and 8 figure signing bonuses, those kids should be able to make out very well, and ND can be all discreet about it, which presumably they're going to totally insist on when it comes to any payouts, and of course the guys will have to do charity work, rather than doing local TV spots and whatnot...

So they might lose Dante Moore to Oregon, but at all the other less glamorous positions, as in the entire rest of the roster of any football team, they might be very competitive as far as how much a player might to stand to make being at ND. I don't know how much that collective BQ is heading is raking in to be divvied up, maybe ND alums and donors are still just too predisposed to being all squeaky clean, and so aren't giving that much. Even though the arch right-wing and avidly pro-business SCOTUS declared it illegal to block players from making money. And the NCAA, being the scumbag, cockroach organization that it is, is nevertheless continuing to attempt to forbid players from making money, despite the SCOTUS' condemnation, and ND, who puts their brand and their image before life itself, is siding with the NCAA in their continued illegal and iniquitous attempts to suppress the players' incomes. So for that reason alone ND should get on the trolley here, and not in any way show loyalty to the evil NCAA....

Break away, ND! And save yourself! It's nice that you offer the players a legit education, but you otherwise were exploiting them as badly as any other school, and there's no undoing that. The best thing you could do is reject your exploitative past, and embrace this new era, and make it as easy as possible for your players to earn money, including direct cash payments from donors. Pay for play! Otherwise you're still trying to hold on to the plantation system......

I don’t understand what points you are trying to make. Are you saying thw schools need or don’t need the money?

Does a Rutgers need 100 million? Not likely. Does OSU need 100 million? No. They probably need 120 million because they spend every cent plus plus plus all for what? To get kind of close?

“Nobody sees the books of these athletic departments.” But the truth is that anyone who wants to sees them.

“With coaches like Ryan Day, Harbaugh, Sarkisian, Cristobal, etc calling for their universities to institute large funds for NIL the media $$$ seem even more important now”. But you understand universities can’t institute large funds for NIL so they aren’t calling for the universities to do it.

“I know Freeman is talking a lot about NIL but it seems the University needs to realize how important it is. It seems incomprehensible that ND with NBC and virtually all its games being nationally televised can’t secure major $$ for its athletes”. ND has it Fiends of Notre Dame NIL program. Why do you say it doesn’t have money? What does Nd being televised by NBC have to do with it.?

But back to my original question. Whether are you getting your numbers? The Big Ten deal doesn’t amount to 95-100 million a year. How did you get the ND number?. What is included and what isn’t? What source did you use?
It amounts to 80 to 100 million a year. What are you hearing

What are you saying?

I say again...

I bet a few Big10 teams after the 100 million deal will be in the red by 12/31 and need to pull funds from other areas to pay for xyz
100% correct. Rutgers athletics is running a $73 million deficit. You can give these schools unlimited cash flow and they'll spend it all and keep asking for more.

Reactions: BGI User 756
ADVERTISEMENT