ADVERTISEMENT

ND LB vs every other top 15 team

Quest4Twelve

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Aug 31, 2009
I love the effort that JD Bertrand and Kizer has given to this team. But IMO the athleticism has been a glaring weakness for this defense. How has Prince Kollie and or Snead not been able to get on the field esp Prince?

I love the effort that JD Bertrand and Kizer has given to this team. But IMO the athleticism has been a glaring weakness for this defense. How has Prince Kollie and or Snead not been able to get on the field esp Prince?
Prince played yesterday

Our coaches recruited these players, and are with them everyday; and there jobs depend on winning; I trust they know their personnel more then anyone on this board. They are our coaches, they know what they are doing.

Reactions: artemis gordon
Sneed is still a freshmen but I agree on Kollie. He looked solid with Bertrand out and will only get better. JD is out again 1st half of BYU so hopefully Kollie can take advantage and show why he should see the field more

Reactions: rgc7
Right, because you and others on a damn message board know more. Any idea how laughable that is?
I dont know more than the coaches, obviously I know that. But coaches do make mistakes and are blind to them sometimes. They are wrong about certain things and sometimes others can easily point them out

I dont know more than the coaches, obviously I know that. But coaches do make mistakes and are blind to them sometimes. They are wrong about certain things and sometimes others can easily point them out
And you think those others are people on a message board? Most of which are not ever at practice and don't really know anything about a player other then what they read in the media. That's a scary thought to even think anyone of us would know more than the coaches who are actually with the players, and their careers depend on it. Like I said, its just laughable

Reactions: iwish and echowaker
Well maybe Prince Kollie's time is coming right up. Maybe Al Golden is a schmuck, and he just likes JD better for sentimental reasons, because he favors upperclassmen.

But I'm mainly thinking, for better or worse, that they have some sort of methodology of how they arrive at their starters. It's certainly not infallible, but for now at least Bertrand is still holding onto the job, and getting the nod by whatever rough criteria they use. And overall the defense is totally delivering, so it's not like it's underperforming, and is desperate for an upgrade....

Maybe if he gets a third straight targeting ejection.they'll bench him....

Lou Holtz used to say he’d rather have a slow guy running in the right direction than a fast guy running in the wrong one. Holtz won a few games.

And you think those others are people on a message board? Most of which are not ever at practice and don't really know anything about a player other then what they read in the media. That's a scary thought to even think anyone of us would know more than the coaches who are actually with the players, and their careers depend on it. Like I said, its just laughable
Absolutely on a message board.

Sometimes its easy to see and the coaches are blind to it for whatever reason

Absolutely on a message board.

Sometimes its easy to see and the coaches are blind to it for whatever reason
Just ridiculous. So you think the coaches should scan the message boards? Wow, just wow. What is it that you think the people on a freaking message board, who don't see practices, would see that the coaches, who see them everyday in practice don't see? Absolutely laughable

Just ridiculous. So you think the coaches should scan the message boards? Wow, just wow. What is it that you think the people on a freaking message board, who don't see practices, would see that the coaches, who see them everyday in practice don't see? Absolutely laughable
No I dont think they should scan message boards. What are you a moron? But coaches miss things. They are not perfect. They get stuck in their ways and they also have biases.

I wish BK asked me a few times when he should or shouldnt go for 2 in certain situations and when to use or not use a timeout. Same with MF on that one. Maybe he wouldnt have blown a couple of those games, Northwestern.....

You act like a coach has never been wrong before. They are wrong on players all the time. Just look at recruiting. Just look at the draft. Some people saw JJ Watt and wondered why he wasnt a national recruit. Every single coach passed on him. Hes one of the greatest defenders ever.

Same with the draft. I'm a Raiders fan. I said please dont take Jamarcus Russell. Please dont take Darius Heyward Bey. They were total busts. I saw it. They didnt. Do they know more than me, hell yes. Would I have been right in those situations, hell yes.

No I dont think they should scan message boards. What are you a moron? But coaches miss things. They are not perfect. They get stuck in their ways and they also have biases.

I wish BK asked me a few times when he should or shouldnt go for 2 in certain situations and when to use or not use a timeout. Same with MF on that one. Maybe he wouldnt have blown a couple of those games, Northwestern.....

You act like a coach has never been wrong before. They are wrong on players all the time. Just look at recruiting. Just look at the draft. Some people saw JJ Watt and wondered why he wasnt a national recruit. Every single coach passed on him. Hes one of the greatest defenders ever.

Same with the draft. I'm a Raiders fan. I said please dont take Jamarcus Russell. Please dont take Darius Heyward Bey. They were total busts. I saw it. They didnt. Do they know more than me, hell yes. Would I have been right in those situations, hell yes.
Guess you should have gone into coaching. I mean Jack must have seen your opinions; get ready, he'll probably be calling. I mean clearly you know more.

Oh BTW, what D1 schools have you coached at????

Guess you should have gone into coaching. I mean Jack must have seen your opinions; get ready, he'll probably be calling. I mean clearly you know more.

Oh BTW, what D1 schools have you coached at????
See, you're talking like a moron again.

I never said I could coach D1, I never said I knew more than anyone on the staff.

But can I see something once in a while that the coaches dont, absolutely

You're just talking like a douche that you are

See, you're talking like a moron again.

I never said I could coach D1, I never said I knew more than anyone on the staff.

But can I see something once in a while that the coaches dont, absolutely

You're just talking like a douche that you are
Very mature response. Have I called you a moron, no. Have I called you a douche, no. So when you grow up and get a basic understanding of what an opinion is, or what a discussion is, they we can continue

Very mature response. Have I called you a moron, no. Have I called you a douche, no. So when you grow up and get a basic understanding of what an opinion is, or what a discussion is, they we can continue
No thanks. Your response was "laughable"

Marist Liufau

Playing the position honestly he's absolutely atrocious and brings the whole corps down.

I ranted about this after 3 weeks and notice against UNC when he was in they blitzed him a lot. Almost every time. He's "ok" doing that but playing the position honest...NO!

They finally recognized if he's playing the position honest he allows the blocker to engage him 5 yards down field and allows the RB a guaranteed 3-5 yard gain or more.
He does that nonsense ALL THE TIME

Our best olinemen was fourth string last year and only played due to 3 injuries

Coaches invest spring summer fall into players and plans, when they don’t work some are slow to change. See obvious changes to oline last year that took half the season to make, see obviously Lewis is not a good cb. See Salerno at wr right now. Zeke at center

Our best olinemen was fourth string last year and only played due to 3 injuries
He was also a freshman adjusting to college. Look say what you will, but there is zero chance that anyone on this board knows the personnel better then the coaching staff. Zero. To think otherwise is ridiculous

Lou Holtz used to say he’d rather have a slow guy running in the right direction than a fast guy running in the wrong one. Holtz won a few games.
does it matter in pass defense? once the lb is behind the intended WR he is not catching him.

I called the same thing on Matt Leinhart after he lumbered towards the endzone with no timeout remaining. If he didn't also fumble the ball, time runs out before a bush push can be attempted (which ML telegraphed by signaling spike about 4 too many times).

He was also a freshman adjusting to college. Look say what you will, but there is zero chance that anyone on this board knows the personnel better then the coaching staff. Zero. To think otherwise is ridiculous
You hit nail on the head…. He was a frosh that started at the bottom when he was clearly the best….. I’m a fan, I had no clue he was ready…coaches didn’t think he was better than baker or carmody watching him every day, they were clearly wrong.

is Tobias not developing fast due to more reps going to lenzy and Salerno when they haven’t don’t anything this year (one Salerno catch). Don’t know. But I know lenzy and Salerno aren’t good

Why was Zeke starting at right guard and playing terrible. People were on here asking for them to change and they finally did. Guess what, Kristofic was much better at guard. What took so long? Why didnt they see that before all his struggles? Why were people on here right and the staff wrong?

Why was Zeke starting at right guard and playing terrible. People were on here asking for them to change and they finally did. Guess what, Kristofic was much better at guard. What took so long? Why didnt they see that before all his struggles? Why were people on here right and the staff wrong?
Left guard but yep

joe alt may not be playing this year if it wasn’t due to multiple injuries last year and he’s our best olinemen easy

You hit nail on the head…. He was a frosh that started at the bottom when he was clearly the best….. I’m a fan, I had no clue he was ready…coaches didn’t think he was better than baker or carmody watching him every day, they were clearly wrong.

is Tobias not developing fast due to more reps going to lenzy and Salerno when they haven’t don’t anything this year (one Salerno catch). Don’t know. But I know lenzy and Salerno aren’t good
Lenzy's ship has sailed...

He needed much more important interaction as a freshman than a couple end arounds to get him ready for this moment...
(Last year and this year)

Brian Kelly was notorious for being stuck on tenure over talent.
There are many ways to earn playing time but once in a while you get someone that does something nobody else can.

Lenzy bar none is the fastest receiver we've had in a long time. He might not be the most physical or the best ball skills but he can run.

He needed to run some crossing routes early on and fly patterns or go routes if you, for this moment today.

All the top teams ALL work their best talent into the mix. It's another way to keep the recruiting momentum going as a recruit can think if I'm good enough I can play right away too.

They see that stuff everywhere just not at our beloved of the past dozen years

Was Bey slated to go to Oakland(?) that year? They do fall in love with fast WR’s but I don’t recall him being mentioned to any one team. Just that he ran a fast 40. That 40 was worth millions though.

Lenzy's ship has sailed...

He needed much more important interaction as a freshman than a couple end arounds to get him ready for this moment...
(Last year and this year)

Brian Kelly was notorious for being stuck on tenure over talent.
There are many ways to earn playing time but once in a while you get someone that does something nobody else can.

Lenzy bar none is the fastest receiver we've had in a long time. He might not be the most physical or the best ball skills but he can run.

He needed to run some crossing routes early on and fly patterns or go routes if you, for this moment today.

All the top teams ALL work their best talent into the mix. It's another way to keep the recruiting momentum going as a recruit can think if I'm good enough I can play right away too.

They see that stuff everywhere just not at our beloved of the past dozen years
Will Fuller was much faster

Was Bey slated to go to Oakland(?) that year? They do fall in love with fast WR’s but I don’t recall him being mentioned to any one team. Just that he ran a fast 40. That 40 was worth millions though.
No not at all. He ran that fast 40 and of course we reached for him. Awful pick. We've had many

He’s now 2nd rated tackle in all of college football….. coaches aren’t perfect

Right, because you and others on a damn message board know more. Any idea how laughable that is?
Zeke got bullied by UNC middle linebacker. He is not good at reaction or containment. Most blitzes except some from outside go right by him.

Zeke got bullied by UNC middle linebacker. He is not good at reaction or containment. Most blitzes except some from outside go right by him.
And? So is your point that the backup is better? And if so, on what basis, what evidence would you have to say that is true? Are you at practice? Do you follow all the practice reps? I'll answer, no you don't. The coaching staff, whose careers depend on it are. Enough said

And? So is your point that the backup is better? And if so, on what basis, what evidence would you have to say that is true? Are you at practice? Do you follow all the practice reps? I'll answer, no you don't. The coaching staff, whose careers depend on it are. Enough said
Coaching staff thought zeke was best last year, took half the season to bench him, once we did we and the oline immediately got better. We know kritofic is better, backups may be as well. Coaches made massive mistake investing so much into zeke at center when they know he isn’t good.
He’s probably worst starting olinemen since golic jr

Last edited:
Reactions: Chitown11
Kristofic was better than Zeke last year. Why did they wait so long? Why were people on here seeing that before the staff?

Left guard but yep

joe alt may not be playing this year if it wasn’t due to multiple injuries last year and he’s our best olinemen easy
Alt had played mostly TE in high school and was transitioning to both college and a new position. So I can see how the staff wouldn't have thrown him into the starting lineup right away.

LB’s do more than just tackle and fill. They usually see the defense and identify the play. I’m sure Sneed and Prince will see more and more as they can handle more and more. Junior is playing. Lots of frosh are playing on D. You got two CB’s as starters that are frosh. They will play when they earn it

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT