ADVERTISEMENT

ND D

Get Nasty

I've posted how many times?
Jul 26, 2006
I know the offense is getting a ton of attention and rightfully so due to possibly one of if not the worst single half performances by an irish offense in history.

Back to D - The D was absolutely terrible in the second half, and they weren't great in the first half.

They gave up a 10 minute drive to start the half - you just can't let that happen vs navy if you have a good D. You have to put them in positions to not be able to grind out first downs.

The last TD Navy had they went 88 yards. Navy also had 3 false start penalties on this drive resulting in Navy starting 1st and 15 3 times and having no issues getting first downs.

I just bring this up because our D gave up 32 points to Navy. That's the second most points they've scored all year. They only scored more on SMU (34). SMU just gave up over 60 points to a team.

Golson and I agree, no clue why we didn't use last years scheme or part of it and instead completely changed it. Last year the D completely dominated Navy. Yes not having JD didn't help, but our scheme with the Dline was moronic, they were not in a position to make plays.

Our offense and D needs to get back on track vs a bad BC team. WE can't keep playing like crap vs crap teams.

I’ve been overall very pleased with Al Golden and the defense all season. The North Carolina and Clemson games were obviously the highlights. Drake Maye and Dabo would likely agree.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
I’ve been overall very pleased with Al Golden and the defense all season. The North Carolina and Clemson games were obviously the highlights. Drake Maye and Dabo would likely agree.
I think at times golden has enhanced and improved the scheme from last year but we've had more mental breakdowns this year. We've also given up way way too many explosive plays vs bad offenses.

I like the path golden is going but there is still a lot of room to improve. Navy was not good though, and i've been a bit disappointed in the Dline. I don't think they've played to their potential and improved much if at all this season. Al Washington has a bit to prove.

I know the offense is getting a ton of attention and rightfully so due to possibly one of if not the worst single half performances by an irish offense in history.

Back to D - The D was absolutely terrible in the second half, and they weren't great in the first half.

They gave up a 10 minute drive to start the half - you just can't let that happen vs navy if you have a good D. You have to put them in positions to not be able to grind out first downs.

The last TD Navy had they went 88 yards. Navy also had 3 false start penalties on this drive resulting in Navy starting 1st and 15 3 times and having no issues getting first downs.

I just bring this up because our D gave up 32 points to Navy. That's the second most points they've scored all year. They only scored more on SMU (34). SMU just gave up over 60 points to a team.

Golson and I agree, no clue why we didn't use last years scheme or part of it and instead completely changed it. Last year the D completely dominated Navy. Yes not having JD didn't help, but our scheme with the Dline was moronic, they were not in a position to make plays.

Our offense and D needs to get back on track vs a bad BC team. WE can't keep playing like crap vs crap teams.
You really don't know much about football. Trot out any defense where the offense doesn't do anything for an entire half, and I mean literally nothing, and you tell me if that defense is going to shutdown the opposing offense. Add in the ToP Navy had over ND in the 2nd half and there would be no defense on the planet that could have held up.

You

You really don't know much about football. Trot out any defense where the offense doesn't do anything for an entire half, and I mean literally nothing, and you tell me if that defense is going to shutdown the opposing offense. Add in the ToP Navy had over ND in the 2nd half and there would be no defense on the planet that could have held up.
except we won the TOP in the first half and gave up 13 points. Then we came out and gave up a 10 minute drive their first possession after half. TOP was 30:30 for Navy and 29:30 for ND. Nothing crazy.

I agree the offense didn't help out the D, but the D didn't do much either. We had one big play when Navy tried to run a trick play.

For once we agree, the defense is not the problem this year.

Well they were playing a bunch of inexperienced LBs against triple option. That can be a problem. Then, when Navy switched gears and started chucking the ball I think it's hard to switch gears when you spend so much time defending the option all week.

Reactions: Kelso86

Agree that we can’t keep playing like crap against crappy teams. Not having Bertrand was a huge loss, and it really hurt us in defending the damn fullback runs. I was expecting him to have a great game against Navy’s schemes. That said, my biggest disappointment with this year’s defense is the amount of pressure we CONSISTENTLY put on opposing QB’s. Really expected this to help mask the coverage weakness of our defensive backs.

Agree that we can’t keep playing like crap against crappy teams. Not having Bertrand was a huge loss, and it really hurt us in defending the damn fullback runs. I was expecting him to have a great game against Navy’s schemes. That said, my biggest disappointment with this year’s defense is the amount of pressure we CONSISTENTLY put on opposing QB’s. Really expected this to help mask the coverage weakness of our defensive backs.
I think you mean the pressure we consistently DON'T put on opposing teams. Just our dline last year had 35 sacks, just our dline this year has 20.

Navy QB had a lot of time to throw vs our 3 down and 4 down the last drive. If you're goin to play conservative rushing the passer because of run threat then you need to play tight on the back end. We were playing very soft coverage.

But the last drive wasn't the only issue, Navy moved the ball pretty good most of the day with the FB and QB runs. It looked like our D was set up to stop the pitch (something navy doesn't do as much this year). Why we didn't have focus on the FB their best runner is besides me.

I think you mean the pressure we consistently DON'T put on opposing teams. Just our dline last year had 35 sacks, just our dline this year has 20.

Navy QB had a lot of time to throw vs our 3 down and 4 down the last drive. If you're goin to play conservative rushing the passer because of run threat then you need to play tight on the back end. We were playing very soft coverage.

But the last drive wasn't the only issue, Navy moved the ball pretty good most of the day with the FB and QB runs. It looked like our D was set up to stop the pitch (something navy doesn't do as much this year). Why we didn't have focus on the FB their best runner is besides me.
Same Meaning, just said differently. But yes, the lack of consistent pressure is disappointing and I expected this defensive front to do better this year. I’ve been anxious to see Jr get some meaningful playing time, but going against Navy as a true freshman is one hell of a baptism.

Same Meaning, just said differently. But yes, the lack of consistent pressure is disappointing and I expected this defensive front to do better this year. I’ve been anxious to see Jr get some meaningful playing time, but going against Navy as a true freshman is one hell of a baptism.
Yep, hard to judge. He definitely wasn't moving with the confidence or speed or power or instincts I was hoping to see. But yes, tough situation to be in.

ADVERTISEMENT