ADVERTISEMENT

ND Covid Tests

from WHO
“If you test positive or negative for COVID-19 on a viral or an antibody test, you still should take preventive measures to protect yourself and others.
We do not know yet if people who recover from COVID-19 can get infected again. Scientists are working to understand this.“

My question is if you have antibodies are free of the threat of becoming symptomatic, that is are you possibly pre-symtomatic? This is not yet known.
Also unknown is whether those testing for antibodies and asymptomatic can further spread the virus.

from WHO
“If you test positive or negative for COVID-19 on a viral or an antibody test, you still should take preventive measures to protect yourself and others.
We do not know yet if people who recover from COVID-19 can get infected again. Scientists are working to understand this.“

My question is if you have antibodies are free of the threat of becoming symptomatic, that is are you possibly pre-symtomatic? This is not yet known.
Also unknown is whether those testing for antibodies and asymptomatic can further spread the virus.
The WHO has proven they dont know what they are talking about anymore than anyone else it seems.

Lets be honest, either the NCAA will have to be ok and/or find a way to deal with players getting the virus, or they will have to cancel the season.

The WHO has proven they dont know what they are talking about anymore than anyone else it seems.

Lets be honest, either the NCAA will have to be ok and/or find a way to deal with players getting the virus, or they will have to cancel the season.

the politics of the WHO and the science are quite different creatures.

Reactions: nemeth#5
One positive test, four guys positive for the antibodies.
Everybody on the premium site is treating this like great news. I think it would have been great news if everyone but one had tested for the virus with no symptoms. We don’t yet know whether the antibodies are as preventative of future contagiousness as what is the norm with other viruses, but this seems to be the prevailing belief of most epidemiologists. With this current near zero exposure seems our guys will be really vulnerable as the season unfolds.

Reactions: Golson5
Everybody on the premium site is treating this like great news. I think it would have been great news if everyone but one had tested for the virus with no symptoms. We don’t yet know whether the antibodies are as preventative of future contagiousness as what is the norm with other viruses, but this seems to be the prevailing belief of most epidemiologists. With this current near zero exposure seems our guys will be really vulnerable as the season unfolds.
I agree with you. If they had said that 69 kids tested positive for either the virus or the antibodies we could have feigned shock and indignation, but also known that we would probably be in pretty good shape as a team by Labor Day.

The WHO has proven they dont know what they are talking about anymore than anyone else it seems..

A doctor who was interviewed today went into great detail regarding Covid-19 and the complexities related to the various categories of impacted patients and non-impacted patients. I wish I had recorded the interview as it was very informative.

To me, it seems like the more that we learn about Covid-19, the more we realize how much we don’t know about Covid-19.

But, I think I know two things,

1. I don’t want to contract it !
2. I hope that I already had it !

Reactions: rgc7
A doctor who was interviewed today went into great detail regarding Covid-19 and the complexities related to the various categories of impacted patients and non-impacted patients. I wish I had recorded the interview as it was very informative.

To me, it seems like the more that we learn about Covid-19, the more we realize how much we don’t know about Covid-19.

But, I think I know two things,

1. I don’t want to contract it !
2. I hope that I already had it !

being part of the asymptomatic group is the plan for many in this country!

In fact it is essentially the ‘national plan’.

Here is something more to concern you, we as yet do no know the long range side effects of just having been exposed to the virus.

Have any of the +tested players even felt sick?

record #’s contracting the virus. Some states closing bars (duh, opening them was just dumb!)

So US death rate is 5%, and I guess some sports fans and bar goers are ok with sacrificing 5% of the population for frivolous activities.

Essential business and business of government is one thing but leisure and bar hopping is quite another!

5%

we need to learn to do the same things in different ways

Last edited:
record #’s contracting the virus. Some states closing bars (duh, opening them was just dumb!)

So US death rate is 5%, and I guess some sports fans and bar goers are ok with sacrificing 5% of the population for frivolous activities.

Essential business and business of government is one thing but leisure and bar hopping is quite another!

5%

we need to learn to do the same things in different ways

The death rate is not 5 %, its 5 % of Covid-19 cases per 100,000.

Keep in mind that 43 % of Covid-19 cases in the U.S. are nursing home related.

Of the 124,000 deaths 53,320 are linked to nursing homes.

In 24 states, more than 50 % of the deaths are nursing home related.

In addition, if a MV fatality or hospice patient is diagnosed as Covid-19 positive, the cause of death is deemed Covid-19, further skewing the stats.

The death rate in the 2-18 age group is next to zero.

Having said that, Covid-19 is extremely dangerous to deadly amongst those in the high risk pool .

^ in general, aside from covid, you should social distance 100%
2 yr olds don’t go to bars or restaurants alone!
18 yr olds then go home after a night out to possible spread the disease...
every life counts as much as every other life!

even a blind squirrel...

but you are 100% wrong 100% of the time!
that is a feat in itself!

Eighteen people who attended a surprise birthday party in North Texas have tested positive for COVID-19. The party, attended by 25 people and lasting just a few hours, has left one man's father fighting for his life in the ICU, Miami news station WSVN-TV reported.

particularly note this statement

“We were horrified. People couldn’t believe that they took it to a family member,” he said.

Last edited:
An article published on Reuters a couple of days ago reports that scientists are beginning to understand that COVID-19 may cause an array of other long-term health problems that will have lingering effects. Aside from the well documented respiratory issues that the virus causes, it may cause damage to other organs in the body, including the pancreas, heart, liver, brain and kidneys. Recovery can be slow, with an adverse impact on quality of life. While most people contacting the virus recover in 2 to 3 weeks, new studies are showing that 1 in 10 may suffer from prolonged effects as a result of catching the virus.

Here is the article: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...lth-problems-caused-by-covid-19-idUSKBN23X1BZ

I share this for the old geezers on the board like me, who are in the demographic most likely to be effected by the virus. It gives further reason to take appropriate cautions to avoid catching the virus.

An article published on Reuters a couple of days ago reports that scientists are beginning to understand that COVID-19 may cause an array of other long-term health problems that will have lingering effects. Aside from the well documented respiratory issues that the virus causes, it may cause damage to other organs in the body, including the pancreas, heart, liver, brain and kidneys. Recovery can be slow, with an adverse impact on quality of life. While most people contacting the virus recover in 2 to 3 weeks, new studies are showing that 1 in 10 may suffer from prolonged effects as a result of catching the virus.

Here is the article: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...lth-problems-caused-by-covid-19-idUSKBN23X1BZ

I share this for the old geezers on the board like me, who are in the demographic most likely to be effected by the virus. It gives further reason to take appropriate cautions to avoid catching the virus.

Thanks for sharing.

There's some evidence, too, that COVID-19 may be a disease of the lining of the blood vessels. This is crucial as it is that lining, which, once it gets inflamed through bad diet, produces the plaque (in an attempt to heal the lesions caused by the inflammation) that results in narrowing of the arteries.

Since this country is loaded with folks -- males, in particular -- with high calcium scores, indicative of high plaque levels in their coronary arteries, there's a whole SITTING DUCK POPULATION potentially acutely vulnerable to COVID -19 that could materialize over time.

And given our horrendous diet in this country, YOUNG MEN, too, are not PLAQUE-FREE. In fact, plaque was first discovered in the arteries of deceased US soldiers upon the return of their bodies from Korea in the early 50's. We were already a JUNK-EATING country.

On another note, here is a fine, fact-rich article which appeared at the end of May in Forbes. It talks about many of the logistics issues involved in running a football season scarcely touched on in other articles. Issues involving states, advertisers, etc.

Also of note, it states straightforwardly that almost ALL of these issues require settling by the end of June. Since, we're now right there, some announcements could be coming in the next few weeks.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/karenw...s-more-important-than-september/#43d0d31a2e14

For me, the key is the current spike in outbreaks. It has the potential to mandate new shutdowns or deter colleges from moving ahead with fall sports. We'll see what transpires.

Yeah the long term effects are what I’m most concerned about personally. All of the simpletons just want to look at the fatality rate and say “herd immunity” in an echo chamber, but we don’t have a good grasp on the long term effects yet. There’s more outcomes than just “alive” or “dead”.

Yeah the long term effects are what I’m most concerned about personally. All of the simpletons just want to look at the fatality rate and say “herd immunity” in an echo chamber, but we don’t have a good grasp on the long term effects yet. There’s more outcomes than just “alive” or “dead”.

Yes, I agree, and it's a point I've made repeatedly.

The other issue that tends to get ignored -- and I've seen the research on this, though I've been unable to locate it recently -- is that if you get a good dose of this thing, you could be out of the box for weeks if not months.

And I'm referring here to YOUNG MEN.

It's not something where if an athlete gets it and "recovers" quickly, he'll be back out on the field in a matter of days or, at worst, a couple of weeks. If he has serious symptoms, the chances are more likely that he's DONE.

Respiratory infections affect breathing and, hence, bursts and stamina. And playing football at less than 100% respiratory capacity just isn't possible.

Reactions: d1042

You understand the problem! So, the makes it at minimum 3 !

Yes, I agree, and it's a point I've made repeatedly.

The other issue that tends to get ignored -- and I've seen the research on this, though I've been unable to locate it recently -- is that if you get a good dose of this thing, you could be out of the box for weeks if not months.

And I'm referring here to YOUNG MEN.

It's not something where if an athlete gets it and "recovers" quickly, he'll be back out on the field in a matter of days or, at worst, a couple of weeks. If he has serious symptoms, the chances are more likely that he's DONE.

Respiratory infections affect breathing and, hence, bursts and stamina. And playing football at less than 100% respiratory capacity just isn't possible.

and not being able to play football or bb, not the worst thing! there are other basics of life far more important.

I miss hugging my grandkids!

How would they know with any degree of certainty about long term effects just six months into the pandemic ?

Reactions: Golson5

So far, the overwhelming statistics on those recovering from Covid-19 is that there are no long term effects for 95 % of those impacted.

Absent a vaccine, other than achieving herd immunity, how do you propose combating Covid-19 ?

Keep in mind that a case surge does not equate to a surge in the death rate, although, death rates lag case rates.

Why isn’t a single network linking the surge in case rates to the lack of social distancing and the failure to wear masks during the protests engaged in by millions over the last few weeks ?

The surge and especially the surge in cases amongst young people is not solely due to people going to bars.

Increased testing and unprotected protesters are significant factors.

and not being able to play football or bb, not the worst thing! there are other basics of life far more important.

So kids, teenagers, adults are not allowed to play sports until there is a vaccine. So hypothetically, that doesnt come for 5 years. We sit in our houses and do nothing. Not going to happen

So kids, teenagers, adults are not allowed to play sports until there is a vaccine. So hypothetically, that doesnt come for 5 years. We sit in our houses and do nothing. Not going to happen

5 years ?

It could be longer !

40 years and no vaccine for HIV

10 years and no vaccine for SARS.

Absent a vaccine, Herd Immunity is the only current method to combat Covid-19 !

5 years ?

It could be longer !

40 years and no vaccine for HIV

10 years and no vaccine for SARS.

Absent a vaccine, Herd Immunity is the only current method to combat Covid-19 !

Stop...pleeese stop with that sillyness

You will see millions dead before then! that ok with you?

Lose 5% of citizens is NOT an acceptable plan you cold hearted cretinous being!

Last edited:
Reactions: Leahylads

Yes but those effects are kinda moot in the context of football players. The known unambiguous risk to a players knees, brain, hips, back etc. dwarfs the unlucky chance of internal organ damage from covid.

That's before you consider that cancelling football in no way cancels covid. I think a pseudo-quarantined college football player is less likely to catch it then if he were going about the normal millennial lifestyle.

No, it's not the worst thing, but there remains this need by many to somehow shoe-horn live college classes and a football season into some kind of COVID-19 safe space.

It's as if, even though otherwise mature adults realize that congregate activities invariably generate outbreaks -- because it's college and football, this somehow won't apply.

When in reality, it will apply and, potentially, by an ORDER OF MAGNITUDE HIGHER.

Look at once blase Houston, with its recanting governor -- "oh if only, I hadn't reopened bars" -- and a projection by another Texas pol that Houston is on a Brazil-like trajectory higher.

What are these students and players expected to do -- live as if in a monastery and just perform in the classroom and on the field without recourse to the kind of intense connectivity which is the entire point of the kind of higher education we sell?

They're not going to do it. Even ND kids who are as human as the rest. There WILL BE outbreaks, and you'll see administrators biting their nails and wondering whether to defecate or go blind.

And NONE OF IT is about the students. It's money-driven from the get-go. Now, while that's obviously important, who sends their kid off into that kind of environment without looking back?

Maybe some don't care, but that wouldn't be me. It's a matter of first things first.

How would they know with any degree of certainty about long term effects just six months into the pandemic ?

We DON'T KNOW with any degree of certainty, but then we don't know with any degree of certainty either that people recover intact and just skip off into the sunset.

Plus, there's troubling information popping up suggesting major patient issues down the road. By no means definitive, it's mounting.

And there are different definitions of long-term. For instance, you could be sick for two years or start experiencing COVID-19 triggered organic damage 20 years from now.

Here's what some of the current literature says

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2020/06/02/covid-health-effects

All nasty stuff, right?

So, given an obvious risk baseline of this magnitude, for what reason other than money, would college administrators send their students, faculty, various staffs, maintenance people and athletic departments into this kind of VORTEX?

Why not err on the side of caution? Particularly when the moral risk is far smaller. I imagine the bulk of these people are not doctors, and that's lucky for them. Because what they are doing WILL result in harm.

Reactions: d1042
We DON'T KNOW with any degree of certainty, but then we don't know with any degree of certainty either that people recover intact and just skip off into the sunset.

Plus, there's troubling information popping up suggesting major patient issues down the road. By no means definitive, it's mounting.

And there are different definitions of long-term. For instance, you could be sick for two years or start experiencing COVID-19 triggered organic damage 20 years from now.

All nasty stuff, right?

So, given an obvious risk baseline of this magnitude, for what reason other than money, would college administrators send their students, faculty, various staffs, maintenance people and athletic departments into this kind of VORTEX?

Why not err on the side of caution? Particularly when the moral risk is far smaller. I imagine the bulk of these people are not doctors, and that's lucky for them. Because what they are doing WILL result in harm.
Human nature spits in your face.

People USED to being free will not stand to be locked up no matter what you or others whine about.

Reality.

This is not East Germany, North Korea, etc. Where the people were beaten down by your type of tyranny for decades.

If the hide under the bed types had had their way there would be no US at all.

What were the percentage of deaths of those coming to the New World?

Of course that is different, right?

Because without their sacrifice you would not exist so its justified.

Human nature spits in your face.

People USED to being free will not stand to be locked up no matter what you or others whine about.

Reality.

This is not East Germany, North Korea, etc. Where the people were beaten down by your type of tyranny for decades.

And COVID-19 spits back in yours.

We can't control this just by puffing out our chests or watching a John Wayne movie.

Why are we the most afflicted country in the world? Why do we have a quarter of the deaths? Was ours a reasoned approach? Hardly.

And why have the South Koreans, Japanese, Italians and Spanish -- yes, by now, even the latter two -- done a much better job than us?

DISCIPLINE.

But, hey, feel free to have a ball. Revel in your freedom. Head down to Miami or Phoenix or Houston, where they're backing off freedom and get them back on the road to throwing caution to the wind.

Freedom is not an absolute. It's something you apply with common sense.

Stop...pleeese stop with that sillyness

You will see millions dead before then! that ok with you?

Lose 5% of citizens is NOT an acceptable plan you cold hearted cretinous being!

You’re just too dumb and don’t have any understanding of the statistic !

5 % does not apply to the general population.

As to deaths, Just the opposite is true.

More will die if you don’t achieve herd immunity.

Have someone who understands the concepts explain them to you.

If a vaccine isn’t developed and you fail to achieve herd immunity, then millions will die, what don’t you understand about that ?

We can't control this just by puffing out our chests or watching a John Wayne movie.

Why are we the most afflicted country in the world? Why do we have a quarter of the deaths? Was ours a reasoned approach? Hardly.

And why have the South Koreans, Japanese, Italians and Spanish -- yes, by now, even the latter two -- done a much better job than us?

DISCIPLINE.

But, hey, feel free to have a ball. Revel in your freedom. Head down to Miami or Phoenix or Houston, where they're backing off freedom and get them back on the road to throwing caution to the wind.

this is the sick plan he wants

everyone meet in the town square, and we will have a group of covid contagious individuals go around spitting and coughing on everyone to finally get herd immunity! oh? yea downside is the dead!

All nasty stuff, right?

Not true, we do know about the long term impact of Coronaviruses based upon prior experience with Coronaviruses. Covid-19 may or may not be any different, but right now no one can state with any degree of certainty if and what long term impact Covid-19 has on a significant number of infected patients.

There is no mounting evidence concerning the long term impact on Covid-19 patients because barely six months have transpired since the outbreak.

In addition, the early statistics are indicating that lingering impacts are minimal.

Any and all articles on the long term impacts are merely speculative with many are political.

Stating that “physicians worry” is hardly scientific evidence.

The reason is simple, the attainment of herd immunity.

Absent a vaccine, Herd Immunity is the only current method for defeating Covid-19.

Isolation merely postpones death and destroys the economy

Reactions: francade

DISCIPLINE.

This is total nonsense.

We test by far more than any other country

Reactions: francade

DISCIPLINE.

You can’t state that we’re the most affected country in the world.
You can state that we’ve run the most tests in the world.

Many deaths attributed to Covid-19 are deaths with other primary causes, such as Motor Vehicle accidents and Hospice cancer patients who test positive for Covid-19. 43 % of deaths in the U.S. are linked to nursing homes. And the great majority of all deaths are linked to patients with co-morbidities.

By what metrics do you claim that the Koreans, Japanese, Italians and Spanish are doing a better job than us ?

You can’t state that we’re the most affected country in the world.
You can state that we’ve run the most tests in the world.

Many deaths attributed to Covid-19 are deaths with other primary causes, such as Motor Vehicle accidents and Hospice cancer patients who test positive for Covid-19. 43 % of deaths in the U.S. are linked to nursing homes. And the great majority of all deaths are linked to patients with co-morbidities.

By what metrics do you claim that the Koreans, Japanese, Italians and Spanish are doing a better job than us ?

in NYC Cuomo was sending ill from hospitals to nursing homes, where they perished

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT