ADVERTISEMENT

ND and UM are NOT Rivals

NotreDame du Lac

Posts Like A Champion
Jan 29, 2015
Michigan has no rivals. They can’t beat anyone. You need to beat teams to have rivals. Ohio State is not their rival. That game is like watching grass grow. MSU is not a rival. MSU probably worries more about 3-4 other teams on their schedule. ND stopped playing in the third quarter last time they played. Our third string could’ve beaten them. Harbaugh is grossly overpaid. He’s certainly an upgrade from their last coach, but he’s not worth the 9 mill/year to lose to every “rival” on the schedule.

Michigan has no rivals. They can’t beat anyone. You need to beat teams to have rivals. Ohio State is not their rival. That game is like watching grass grow. MSU is not a rival. MSU probably worries more about 3-4 other teams on their schedule. ND stopped playing in the third quarter last time they played. Our third string could’ve beat them.
Cringe worthy

Reactions: deadirishpoet
I'm pretty certain Michigan has a losing record against the Ivy League. Michigan couldn't beat 'em so they cancelled the series according to a guy I know who knows a guy.

I'm pretty certain Michigan has a losing record against the Ivy League. Michigan couldn't beat 'em so they cancelled the series according to a guy I know who knows a guy.

Michigan twice canceled series with ND after losses ruined their chances for titles. Once in 1909 for 32 years & again in 1943 for 35 years. It’s funny Michigan never played Rockne’s dominate ND teams, or Ara’s dominate ND teams. And only played Leahy twice. Didn’t play ND during tithe seasons in the 20’s, 30’s, 40’s, 60’s or the ‘77 title team. (Started playing again in ‘78). ND played Michigan in the 1890’s-1906 when Michigan was the dominant program & ND was just students learning the game (1890’s) & a new program (1900). Michigan won 8 straight (which gives them the series lead). But Michigan refused to play ND during the DECADES ND was dominate.
If they played every year, non-stop, ND would have a huge lead, just like ND did over USC over the hundred years.
None of Rockne, Leahy, Ara or Lou have a losing record against Michigan. Overall they have a winning record against Michigan.
Michigan racked up wins against a student coach in the 1890’s & then the bad ND coaches of the late 70’s early 80’s before Holtz. I would have loved to see Rockne win 12 in a row. Or Ara or Frank dominate them. Those coaches blew out teams that beat Michigan in that era.

I might be committing blasphemy here, but, I do love their helmets. That's why I love college football.

I might be committing blasphemy here, but, I do love their helmets. That's why I love college football.

They stole the idea from...wait for it...Ohio State...LOL.
OSU, MSU & Indiana wore winged helmet designs between early 1900’s through 1934.
Michigan debuted their wing helmet in 1938 after Princeton Head Coach Fritz Chrisler saw the design & used it in 1935, before then it taking it to Michigan with him.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winged_football_helmet

OSU, MSU & Indiana wore winged helmet designs between early 1900’s through 1934.
Michigan debuted their wing helmet in 1938 after Princeton Head Coach Fritz Chrisler saw the design & used it in 1935, before then it taking it to Michigan with him.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. How soon before ND adopts the design for a future Shamrock entertainment extravaganza? LOL.

University of Delaware has the same helmets as UM. Wonder who was first the Blue Hens or the Wolverines.

Michigan twice canceled series with ND after losses ruined their chances for titles. Once in 1909 for 32 years & again in 1943 for 35 years. It’s funny Michigan never played Rockne’s dominate ND teams, or Ara’s dominate ND teams. And only played Leahy twice. Didn’t play ND during tithe seasons in the 20’s, 30’s, 40’s, 60’s or the ‘77 title team. (Started playing again in ‘78). ND played Michigan in the 1890’s-1906 when Michigan was the dominant program & ND was just students learning the game (1890’s) & a new program (1900). Michigan won 8 straight (which gives them the series lead). But Michigan refused to play ND during the DECADES ND was dominate.
If they played every year, non-stop, ND would have a huge lead, just like ND did over USC over the hundred years.
None of Rockne, Leahy, Ara or Lou have a losing record against Michigan. Overall they have a winning record against Michigan.
Michigan racked up wins against a student coach in the 1890’s & then the bad ND coaches of the late 70’s early 80’s before Holtz. I would have loved to see Rockne win 12 in a row. Or Ara or Frank dominate them. Those coaches blew out teams that beat Michigan in that era.

The thing that has always bugged me about Michigan is the BS whining. I remember Lloyd Carr complaining once because Notre Dame played a game before Michigan and he insisted that there had been a gentleman's agreement between the two schools to only play each other in the opening game. He conveniently failed to notice that Michigan had played as many, if not more games, before facing ND than we had. Then there was the recent lie about Swarbrick canceling the series with no notice by walking up to the AD and giving him a letter when he had actually spoken to him by phone and told he would be doing just that. I also remember Bo Schembechler never being able to give anyone a compliment; complete sourpuss prick.

The thing that has always bugged me about Michigan is the BS whining. I remember Lloyd Carr complaining once because Notre Dame played a game before Michigan and he insisted that there had been a gentleman's agreement between the two schools to only play each other in the opening game. He conveniently failed to notice that Michigan had played as many, if not more games, before facing ND than we had. Then there was the recent lie about Swarbrick canceling the series with no notice by walking up to the AD and giving him a letter when he had actually spoken to him by phone and told he would be doing just that. I also remember Bo Schembechler never being able to give anyone a compliment; complete sourpuss prick.
It was Bo Schembechler, not Carr. Schembechler was also against scheduling ND regardless. When ND and UM first began playing each other in 1978 it was UM's second game. There was a period where the teams did not play for awhile until I think 1985. There was a gentlemen's agreement that both teams would make that game the 1st game which was being honored until 1989 when ND broke the agreement or so claims Bo. I do not know if there is an agreement or not so between Bo and Holtz. In terms of Bo, he never gave anyone a compliment even on his team. He treated everyone equally. In terms of Dave Brandon we got what we deserved.

I do not think ND<>UM is the biggest rivalry but it does a number of things. Number one it is usually an entertaining game. There have been fabulous moments for both sides. I love it because I want to see UM play good non conference teams.

The 2nd item is that the game is a great measuring stick for what the team on either side will be. If you are able to beat the other team it is usually a sign of good things to come. Looking at the schedules whoever wins this game will probably be in a great position to win the first half dozen of their games.

Even for the loser if they competed all is not lost as there is the entire season to recover.

For the most part games have been extremely competitive with many going down to the wire.

Forget Michigan and USC, ND needs to play Tulsa again and right this wrong. We just can't leave it like this.

It was Bo Schembechler, not Carr. Schembechler was also against scheduling ND regardless. When ND and UM first began playing each other in 1978 it was UM's second game. There was a period where the teams did not play for awhile until I think 1985. There was a gentlemen's agreement that both teams would make that game the 1st game which was being honored until 1989 when ND broke the agreement or so claims Bo. I do not know if there is an agreement or not so between Bo and Holtz. In terms of Bo, he never gave anyone a compliment even on his team. He treated everyone equally. In terms of Dave Brandon we got what we deserved.

Actually, Carr complained too. It was when Bob Davie was coaching ND.

different era
Tulsa game was played with BK as the HC. It was played in the 21st century. Different era? Explain. The "Era of Brian Kelly" started in 2010, as chance would have it, the same exact year the Irish lost to Tulsa. As I stated before, the program needs to right this wrong.

Tulsa game was played with BK as the HC. It was played in the 21st century. Different era? Explain. The "Era of Brian Kelly" started in 2010, as chance would have it, the same exact year the Irish lost to Tulsa. As I stated before, the program needs to right this wrong.

It was a re-usage of a reply to one of my comments, that said exactly as youare saying.

It didn't look like Tulsa was going to be a trend at the time. We had a 1st yr coach and qb.

Though Tulsa was a decent team that season, that should never have happened. Ever. Especially at the stadium, not that we are invincible at home. Having a true Freshman throw fades in the end zone. Not kicking a FG. The fact that this game even came down to that. It's no App State, but, come on. So, let's schedule this damn thing one more time. Do it for the old folk. Do it for the good old USA. Do it for the children.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT