ADVERTISEMENT

Navy

NDSMC78

All Star
Aug 20, 2001
ND was supposed to open up against this team. The Mids are getting totally dominated on both sides of the ball. BYU is actually running the ball with great success. I can't remember when I saw a Navy team look this bad.

Sounds like Navy didn't scrimmage, have no one on one drills, and no tackling drills. That was Coach Ken's decision based on what he thought was best for his players.

Never seen Navy look like this. They took UGA and ND to the end. No contact seems to have really hurt.

ND beat Navy by 40-----the Middies didn't play UGA .

BYU is very good-----only play 8 but could win them all .

Navy's coach said that was the first time they tackled since their bowl prep last December. How does he let that happen? Didn't Weis do something similar with the 2007 team.

Reactions: Kelso86
Remainder of BYU schedule....Army, Troy, UTSA, Houston, Texas St, Western Kentucky, North Alabama. They better run the table.
I wonder if the BYU coach will be dancing and jiving on the sideline after yet another score against any of their other elite opponents not named Houston? I don’t blame anyone for the end result other than the 2020 virus. It’s not a normal season and that was not your normal Middies. Irish beating this early 2020 Navy team would have accomplished nothing.

Navy's coach said that was the first time they tackled since their bowl prep last December. How does he let that happen? Didn't Weis do something similar with the 2007 team.
Kelly did it with the 2012 team, no live tackling between the USC game and the BCSCG. A huge miscalculation and a lesson he learned the very hard way.

Remainder of BYU schedule....Army, Troy, UTSA, Houston, Texas St, Western Kentucky, North Alabama. They better run the table.
Were they able to cobble together only 8 games? That would have been us, without the ACC.

Were they able to cobble together only 8 games? That would have been us, without the ACC.
Yea. Herbie was talking about their schedule last night and really didn't have much to say about it until he was prodded for a comment. Even then, he was not impressed. LOL

I'm very happy that the ACC worked with us and gave us a really good 1-year deal, but I don't think this is true. Before the ACC announced the ND/ACC deal, BK said Jack's phone was ringing off the hook with teams trying to schedule games. I don't think they would have had any problem scheduling 10 or 11 games even if all or most of them would have been against G5 opponents. And I think they would have had their pick of G5 opponents. Obviously, that still wouldn't have been an ideal schedule, but I can't imagine any G5 school turning ND down if we wanted to schedule a game with them. Not in 2020 when most of the good G5 teams were looking for quality P5 opponents to boost their own schedules. And certainly not when a game against ND would be their biggest payday of the season.

Besides, if the ACC would have been crazy enough to shut us out, I think the Big 12 would have stepped in and offered us the same "one-season membership" deal. After all, in 2012 they offered the same all-sports-but-football membership deal as the ACC. I'm sure they would be happy to re-offer if the ACC ever soured on our current relationship.

And even if that didn't happen, a G5 conference like the AAC likely would have given us a one-season deal if we asked them to.

I'm very happy that the ACC worked with us and gave us a really good 1-year deal, but I don't think this is true. Before the ACC announced the ND/ACC deal, BK said Jack's phone was ringing off the hook with teams trying to schedule games. I don't think they would have had any problem scheduling 10 or 11 games even if all or most of them would have been against G5 opponents. And I think they would have had their pick of G5 opponents. Obviously, that still wouldn't have been an ideal schedule, but I can't imagine any G5 school turning ND down if we wanted to schedule a game with them. Not in 2020 when most of the good G5 teams were looking for quality P5 opponents to boost their own schedules. And certainly not when a game against ND would be their biggest payday of the season.

Besides, if the ACC would have been crazy enough to shut us out, I think the Big 12 would have stepped in and offered us the same "one-season membership" deal. After all, in 2012 they offered the same all-sports-but-football membership deal as the ACC. I'm sure they would be happy to re-offer if the ACC ever soured on our current relationship.

And even if that didn't happen, a G5 conference like the AAC likely would have given us a one-season deal if we asked them to.
We might have come up with 11 games, but I fear they would have looked much like BYU's opponents. But it all worked out for us.

We might have come up with 11 games, but I fear they would have looked much like BYU's opponents. But it all worked out for us.
I guess the main point I was trying to make was that we ain't BYU. I believe multiple conferences would have been willing to cut deals with us if the ACC hadn't. And I believe individual teams would have as well. I don't think we would have had to settle for bottom-tier G5 teams if we didn't want to. BYU had to settle but we wouldn't have.

Either way, I agree. I'm glad everything worked out well for us.

Sounds like Navy didn't scrimmage, have no one on one drills, and no tackling drills. That was Coach Ken's decision based on what he thought was best for his players.
Gagliardi spent 60 years coaching the St. John’s (Minn.) football team (and four before that coaching at Carroll College in Montana) and went 489-138-11 over his career. Yes, he won 77 percent of his games. His teams won 27 conference titles and four national championships.
He retired in 2012.
Joe Pedo Paterno is second on the all-time win list, by the way, at 409.

What set Gagliardi appart
He does not allow tackling in practice, has no playbook and does not require his players to participate in strength and conditioning workouts. There is no yelling, no tackling dummies and no whistles. His quarterbacks call most of the plays.
Gagliardi also insists that everyone call him John instead of Coach.
“We don’t have no mission statements, no big philosophy,” Gagliardi said. “We just do it.”

I was looking forward to the Oregon/NDST game to start their season. Bama/USC would have been interesting also. Those games along with ND/Wisc are battles that are gone and we can't get back. There are most likely others that I can't think of right now.

Gagliardi spent 60 years coaching the St. John’s (Minn.) football team (and four before that coaching at Carroll College in Montana) and went 489-138-11 over his career. Yes, he won 77 percent of his games. His teams won 27 conference titles and four national championships.
He retired in 2012.
Joe Pedo Paterno is second on the all-time win list, by the way, at 409.

What set Gagliardi appart
With all due respect to the great coach Gagliardi, if you took that philosophy at an FBS school you wouldn’t be at that school very long.

We had to give USF a 2 for 1. I assume Jack didn't choose that over a 1&done with some other G5.

Mids getting stomped again today, down 24-0 to Tulane at the half. Wouldn't you know the one year we don't play them that Navy is terrible?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT