ADVERTISEMENT

Navy

twalsh

All Star
Jan 7, 2008
No Falcons yesterday, so I had a chance to watch the game again. Three blown plays on defense and ST made it a much more difficult task than it should have been. A fullback run on 3rd and 16 for 21 yards and a first down, a reverse to the tight end on 4th down and 4, who managed to escape us in the backfield and get a first down, and the fumbled punt. All should have led to ND possessions, all ended up being, or staying, Navy possessions, and accounted for 14 of Navy's 17 points.

Reactions: notredamerises23
Good points. I tried to bring this up after the game. Poor execution on ND's part on critical downs is what kept the game close and gave Navy hope. You have to match their intensity and execution at the same time, with limited time to prepare. It's tough, which is why you have to be locked in and show them absolutely zero mercy in game.

We can take solace knowing that undefeated UCF also struggled to put them away. I think Navy is going to have to be looked at as one of those just find a way to win and move on without serious injuries type of game (even though we should stomp them). I have a feeling nobody really looks forward to playing these guys.

This was as big a game for Navy as they get so as always, we get their very best. I think it was probably hard for the Irish to be overly excited - coming off the Miami loss, looking forward towards Stanford and dreading playing Navy's style of game. Bottom line is we stayed tough and won a game that we may not have last year.

This was as big a game for Navy as they get so as always, we get their very best. I think it was probably hard for the Irish to be overly excited - coming off the Miami loss, looking forward towards Stanford and dreading playing Navy's style of game. Bottom line is we stayed tough and won a game that we may not have last year.

Of course, last years team loses the game...they lost last years, so not sure what this means. Last years team would likely only win 2 games with this years schedule.

ND defense has been terrific. I don’t know Elko made a deal that will need Daniel Webster’s help but he has done a fabulous job. He is coaching Balis’s well trained athletes beyond expectations.

ND defense has been terrific. I don’t know Elko made a deal that will need Daniel Webster’s help but he has done a fabulous job. He is coaching Balis’s well trained athletes beyond expectations.

They are actually right in my expectation range. When Elko was hired I predicted a top 25-30 scoring defense this year. They are currently 23rd nationally, surrending 20.4 ppg.

They are actually right in my expectation range. When Elko was hired I predicted a top 25-30 scoring defense this year. They are currently 23rd nationally, surrending 20.4 ppg.

Do you expect a top 20 D performance next year? I realize we have not gone through spring and fall camps yet but based on the DB being better Safety's being better and D line being better. Assuming the players filling in @ the l-backers pick it up and the incoming LB crew is what we believe they are.

Do you expect a top 20 D performance next year? I realize we have not gone through spring and fall camps yet but based on the DB being better Safety's being better and D line being better. Assuming the players filling in @ the l-backers pick it up and the incoming LB crew is what we believe they are.

Yes, provided the following things happen.

1. Jerry Tillery and Jay Hayes return next year.

2. One of the young guys is a suitable replacement for Tranquill at rover.

3. At least one safeties emerges as a playmaker. Under Elko's tutelage they became much more fundamentally and positionally sound this year but neither Coleman nor Elliot has become a playmaker to this point. So whether it's through further development by one of those two or one of Studstill, Gilman, Robertson, Genmark-Heath, Allen or Moala stepping up, ND needs a playmaker in there.

There are some personnel changes I would like to see as well. Elko certainly knows his defense better than I do, but I think the following changes would improve the defense.

1. Move Jay Hayes to 3-tech beside Tillery. At 293lbs Jay is a couple meals away from 300lbs. His game screams for a move inside and ND is more than capable of replacing his snaps outside with a combination of Khalid Kareem and Ade Ogundeji at SDE and the ability for Hayes to still take a few rotational reps per game out there.

2. Asmar Bilal needs to move to Buck and get a final look there. He is lost in space playing rover. I'd like to see 6'1, 220lb Jordan Genmark-Heath add some muscle in the weight room this winter and move to Rover to compete with Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah and Shayne Simon for the spot being vacated by Tranquill. Any time you can take a solidly athletic safety who has the frame to add the weight, That's the ideal player for that position... Exactly like we saw from Tranquill.

3. Safety play has to keep getting better. Derrik Allen needs his body to be in excellent shape come training camp so he can get an immediate look. The same can be said of Houston Griffith if ND managed to flip him. Alohi Gilman will play plenty as well, I hope he can be a force at SS and I feel he will in run support. Coverage is my only concern with him.

ND on Senior day usually seems to be really sluggish..... usually against Navy we are sluggish as well.... glad we escaped with a win.

That's why I named Navy as my trap game this season. They were placed in an ideal spot to cause us grief if things went soar in Miami. Our lads played tough through the game and found a way to win the game.

Reactions: Pennick4
Ara: former Irish LB, Jarrett Grace, also warns the game after Navy is a trap game. He cites the bumps and bruises coming out of the Navy game. He cites prepping for the Navy offense all week, looking at the game film only once because it doesn't apply to the next game, then adjusting all over to a "normal" traditional offense. His thoughtful insight into what it takes to play Navy was really eye opening and interesting. He's been there. He also said that to the untrained eye, it looks like Navy is running the same plays with the same formations, but in reality, they will make little game time adjustments in blocking schemes and even the way the FB approaches his duties. Little things. Little adjustments that make a difference and cause chaos.

He also said that to the untrained eye, it looks like Navy is running the same plays with the same formations, but in reality, they will make little game time adjustments in blocking schemes and even the way the FB approaches his duties. Little things. Little adjustments that make a difference and cause chaos.
Flutie said same thing during broadcast.

Defense played pretty good. It's the offense that didn't have a stellar day.[/QUOTE

They did.... they had a hard time getting off the field when they needed to though. 3rd and 16... FB dive for a first down lol.... I could only laugh when that happened.

It must be really fun to be part of that offense. The Army / Navy game is going to be a good one. It's must see TV.

Yeah. The defense had some misplays alright. Frustrating. But, taking the game as a whole, they played Navy pretty good and held the Middies to a few season lows.

You want to talk FB dives for long gainers. A few years back, I went to see Josh Barajas play in the Indiana state title game. It was his Senior season and the year before, they won it. Their opponent had 3rd and something like 41 deep in their own territory. They ran a simple dive play and got the first down. That single play changed the complexion of the whole game and Josh and Andrean HS were not the same the rest of the game. I was thinking at the time, how could a ND 4 star recruit LB let a simple dive turn into a 41 yard gainer?

You want to talk FB dives for long gainers. A few years back, I went to see Josh Barajas play in the Indiana state title game. It was his Senior season and the year before, they won it. Their opponent had 3rd and something like 41 deep in their own territory. They ran a simple dive play and got the first down. That single play changed the complexion of the whole game and Josh and Andrean HS were not the same the rest of the game. I was thinking at the time, how could a ND 4 star recruit LB let a simple dive turn into a 41 yard gainer?

It was interesting to watch the 3rd and 16 because it seemed like a basic counter play. Everyone on ND followed the QB and tailback to the right and the fullback just slipped through behind the flow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT