ADVERTISEMENT

Nana says ya ya to Irish

this guy could be an elite difference maker for our irish. he reminds me of the early 2000 bob stoops DEs that were small but but were terrors. don't let him get beyond 250 or 255 and just let him rain holy hell terror on OTs and QBs with his speed and athletic ability. this is the type of guy that goes to FSU, Oklahoma or Clemsom and has them as title contenders

Reactions: Kelso86 and Telx1
this guy could be an elite difference maker for our irish. he reminds me of the early 2000 bob stoops DEs that were small but but were terrors. don't let him get beyond 250 or 255 and just let him rain holy hell terror on OTs and QBs with his speed and athletic ability. this is the type of guy that goes to FSU, Oklahoma or Clemsom and has them as title contenders
Agreed. Really excited with this commitment, and the three DL commits he joins. Still lots of really talented DE’s out there, and expect we’ll sign one more. Elston is killing it.

No one wants to play for Brian Kelly we were told by more than a few posters here. Their streak is intact.

If ND lands 3 or 4 more players of Osafo-Mensah's and Caroll's ability and it's at positions other that tight end and offensive line, this could be an excellent class that might me a little bit small on numbers, but big on talent. Land an elite linebacker, an elite running back, a shutdown corner and a top tier wide receiver to follow up the 2018 class and you have an awesome 2 year haul .... Something like...

QB: Graham Mertz
RB: Kyren Williams
WR: ??
TE: Luke Deal
OL: Quinn Carroll
OL: John Olmstead
OL: Zeke Correll
OL: Andrew Kristofic
SDE: Howard Cross
DT: Jacob Lacey
DT: Hunter Spears
WDE: Nana Osafo-Mensah
WDE: David Ojabo
LB: Osita Ekwonu
LB: Nick Henrich
Rover: Jack Kiser
CB: KJ Wallace
CB: Woodi Washington
S: Litchfield Ajavon
S: Kyle Hamilton

That would be a quality class. Upgrades to Ojabo, Kiser, Deal, etc, etc could make it an great class.

Recruiting is and always will be the biggest factor in winning. NDs issue has been consistently winning games. If ND can win 10 plus games this year that will help recruiting big time. Win 8 and it will hurt. This is a huge year. ND needs to win so the recruits that are elite take notice. If they can then the ball will be rolling in the right direction.
Back to back 10 win seasons will legitimize ND as “ being back”. For now the coaches have to continue to work their butts off and get the best players possible.

Look at what ND has done on the defensive side of the ball in back to back classes now
Dline:
Nana, Lacey, Spears, Ademilola, Franklin, Cross
LB:
Bauer, Lamb, Simon
DBs
Allen, Griffith, Boykin, Ajavon, Hamilton.

Alot of good players there and I would imagine we arent done either.

Reactions: Kelso86
Recruiting is and always will be the biggest factor in winning. NDs issue has been consistently winning games. If ND can win 10 plus games this year that will help recruiting big time. Win 8 and it will hurt. This is a huge year. ND needs to win so the recruits that are elite take notice. If they can then the ball will be rolling in the right direction.
Back to back 10 win seasons will legitimize ND as “ being back”. For now the coaches have to continue to work their butts off and get the best players possible.
“I think [Texas] will keep recruiting me, I talked with [Ed Orgeron] today. Alabama came by my school this week, I’ve been talking a little bit with Arkansas, too,” he added. “I think that teams will keep talking to me until I sign in December.

If ND lands 3 or 4 more players of Osafo-Mensah's and Caroll's ability and it's at positions other that tight end and offensive line, this could be an excellent class that might me a little bit small on numbers, but big on talent. Land an elite linebacker, an elite running back, a shutdown corner and a top tier wide receiver to follow up the 2018 class and you have an awesome 2 year haul .... Something like...

That would be a quality class. Upgrades to Ojabo, Kiser, Deal, etc, etc could make it an great class.
IIO... Is there a feasible SDE recruit you take over Ojabo? I tend to gravitate to guys that are raw with little playing experience who have really high ceilings, especially after getting commits from more accomplished targets. Ojabo fits the bill this year. There are some really good SDE targets that we have been recruiting, but I keep coming back to Ojabo. Your thoughts?

No one wants to play for Brian Kelly we were told by more than a few posters here. Their streak is intact.

This is a huge get for the BK apologists. Tuitt was the last guy the apologists we’re saying was the turning point. Let’s see where we are at seasons end.

Reactions: justified1
Actually, this class is about where the ‘17 class was. At this time Q. Carroll is the top rated player, the only commit currently ranked in the top 5 (Rival) at his respective position. If composite ratings are used QC is not in top 5. OL recruiting is still the strength of the recruting effort. When ready (in two seasons) N^2 will likely play the position that Hayes plays, how much better is he than Hayes?

ND had a long way to go to get back to the top group. Farther than many fans realized. The past two classes are a step towards that, but there is way to go.

Last edited:
This is a huge get for the BK apologists. Tuitt was the last guy the apologists we’re saying was the turning point. Let’s see where we are at seasons end.
No apologist just pointing out some of the absurd statements from the anti-kelly crowd.

Reactions: Pennick4
No apologist just pointing out some of the absurd statements from the anti-kelly crowd.

Have you noticed a trend for the last 30 years? Wow, did you see who we signed!! The kid is a stud. Cant miss prospect. This is all part of the ponzi scheme. Just when your done with footbal, they will reel you in with some can't miss prospect.

Last edited:
Have you noticed a trend for the last 30 years? Wow, did you see who we signed!! The kid is a stud. Cant miss prospect. This is all part of the ponzi scheme. Just when your done with footbal, they will reel you in with some can't miss prospect.
As an inexact science as you can find.

Reactions: HarlemIrish

No offense at all to Osafo-Mensah, but he isn't Stephon Tuitt. Really good top 100 talent, but not a top 15-20 player in the entire class like Tuitt was and later proved to be.

ND should expect a player of Osafo-Mensah's ability most years at DE. No team should expect a DE like Stephon Tuitt most years.

Reactions: justified1
NNOM is important on account of his position. But currently, there are 3 commits with higher recruiting ratings. ND has recently struggled with getting quality edge rushers, that makes this commit significant.

Tuitt was a stud, all american as a sophomore with 12 sacks. Also helped lead the Irish to the title game. Let's try not to be stupid.

Last edited:
Reactions: JOEND2004
Tuitt was 6'5 260 lbs on Rivals when recruited. Now listed in NFL as 6'6 303 lbs.

NaNa if still growing could end up somewhere between what he is now at 6'4" 234 lbs to hopefully a 6'5 270 lb monster like my old time favorite Buffalo Bill Bruce Smith....

Tuitt was 6'5 260 lbs on Rivals when recruited. Now listed in NFL as 6'6 303 lbs.

NaNa if still growing could end up somewhere between what he is now at 6'4" 234 lbs to hopefully a 6'5 270 lb monster like my old time favorite Buffalo Bill Bruce Smith....

It's not just size. I've seen few players in college football over the past decade that played with more power than Stephon Tuitt. He was an imovable 3-4 end in a 3-4 defense, where he swallowed the run. He was so powerful that despite his frame and lack of quick twitch athleticism he still tied Justin Tuck's record with 12.0 sacks as a sophomore. Stephon was a man playing against boys. A top 10 pick had he not battled a sports hernia his draft season as a junior.

Love me some Nana who I think is a healthy cross between Prince Shembo and Daelin Hayes, but Stephon Tuitt's rarely come along and it's even more rare for them to come along at ND.

Reactions: chaseball

Or, maybe he will grow to 7’3” and become the next Jabbar! Please check out the Hudl vids for NN. At his respective position, NN at 7 is the highest rated ND commit; but not the highest overall rated commit.

(Tuitt was 6’6 while recruited; he is still 6’6”)

Last edited:
Or, maybe he will grow to 7’3” and become the next Jabbar! Please check out the Hudl vids for NN. At his respective position, NN at 7 is the highest rated ND commit; but not the highest overall rated commit.

(Tuitt was 6’6 while recruited; he is still 6’6”)[/QUOTE

His rivals profile showed 6'5 not 6'6. He's now 6'6

IIO... Is there a feasible SDE recruit you take over Ojabo? I tend to gravitate to guys that are raw with little playing experience who have really high ceilings, especially after getting commits from more accomplished targets. Ojabo fits the bill this year. There are some really good SDE targets that we have been recruiting, but I keep coming back to Ojabo. Your thoughts?

Feasible at this point? Probably not. Maybe Ty Robinson if there are any legs the idea that he's interested. Would love to poach a guy like Zack Harrison, Chris Hinton or George Karlaftis, but those are all pipe dreams right now.

Thought I read they are recruiting Kiser as a buck.

Feasible at this point? Probably not. Maybe Ty Robinson if there are any legs the idea that he's interested. Would love to poach a guy like Zack Harrison, Chris Hinton or George Karlaftis, but those are all pipe dreams right now.
Zero chance on Harrison. I know his coaches well. Would a real shocker if he goes anywhere but Ohio State. His father has a medical issue that makes even basic travel a real hardship. Great kid I'm told.

He is as you mentioned----a project with upside but really only scratching the surface.

Not nearly in the same league with his teammate from last year who is headed to Penn State

I would be shocked if he ended up at ND.

He is as you mentioned----a project with upside but really only scratching the surface.

Not nearly in the same league with his teammate from last year who is headed to Penn State

I would be shocked if he ended up at ND.
Let’s hope you are shocked then. Kid has only played one year of football and has great size and speed and athleticism to complement his enthusiasm for the physical part of the game. Only scratched the surface as you say.

“I think [Texas] will keep recruiting me, I talked with [Ed Orgeron] today. Alabama came by my school this week, I’ve been talking a little bit with Arkansas, too,” he added. “I think that teams will keep talking to me until I sign in December.

“I think that teams will keep talking to me until I sign in December"

The biggest, and scariest statement as it relates to all commits right now --

“I think that teams will keep talking to me until I sign in December"

The biggest, and scariest statement as it relates to all commits right now --
Agreed. Hated reading this.

He is 131% committed......seriously though barring major changes / disaster at ND I do not think he is going anywhere. He is just telling the truth

ADVERTISEMENT