ADVERTISEMENT

My assessment of the spring game

Exactly. Spring games are the absolute worst format in which to evaluate players.
It's a scrimmage. You can evaluate the 12tg practice closed to the media as a scrimmage just like you can the spring game. It's all part of the evaluation. They got a chance to play in the stadium with a small crowd and on tv. It matters just like any other practice.

It's a scrimmage. You can evaluate the 12tg practice closed to the media as a scrimmage just like you can the spring game. It's all part of the evaluation. They got a chance to play in the stadium with a small crowd and on tv. It matters just like any other practice.
Except it's not nearly as structured. Every coach I know prefers an additional structured practice day. It's for the fans and nothing else.

Reactions: Kelso86
Except it's not nearly as structured. Every coach I know prefers an additional structured practice day. It's for the fans and nothing else.
That's not true. If a coach cant take away anything from over what 70 plays of football and being in front of fans and in the stadium and on tv, then thats on the coach. Theres plenty to take away from a close to real football game.

That's not true. If a coach cant take away anything from over what 70 plays of football and being in front of fans and in the stadium and on tv, then thats on the coach. Theres plenty to take away from a close to real football game.
yeah I think some spring games are set up for fireworks and the fans.......... THis one was set up to have some serious 1-1 battles all over and for the coaches to evaluate.

Reactions: Golson5
It was just a practice scrimmage, but neither Coan or Pyne gave any reason to feel good about our QB position. Coan looked rusty and made some terrible throws. lucky to have only one INT. His red zone throws were particularly poor. And Pyne was worse. As is often the case with this annual game/scrimmage, the young back up performed the best, by a wide margin. Buchner’s athleticism, strong arm and quick release were on display. Lots of work to be done between now and Florida St.
I thought Cam Hart had a really good outing today, very active with coverage and quick with his reads, and strong tackler. Thought the same of Kiser. The defense wasn’t showing a lot scheme wise, but they didn’t need to. Very talented front seven and their two deep, and the defensive backs looked damn good as a whole, especially since this has been an area of concern. Lewis, Hart, Henderson and Brown each played really well. I was in and out of the room and missed probably a third of the plays, and disappointed I didn’t see Griffith make many plays. Hope these were my misses more than a reflection of his play today. OL is a work in progress, but Rocco and Fisher are damn impressive. I don’t particularly like these games, but was hungry for some ND football after a Spring with daily 3 minute vignettes and essentially zero reporting of observations, etc...
I judge Coan on his last year at Wisconsin. He is a stud. Spring games don't mean a thing.
I don't believe Pyne was ever a serious candidate to start. He just didn't look the part in real game action. Coan will put up Heisman numbers this year under Kelly and Rees and the abundance of talented receivers will be a big reason.
I am excited that you liked the young Olineman. You are a SAVANT on the workings of the Oline.

*** I have to admit. I haven't watched any practices except the first one. And I didn't even know when the spring game was on so I missed that.
This is a good sign. When the Irish won championships in 73, 77, and 88 and the close call in 93 I never followed Irish football until the first game.
I have a quiet confidence that the Irish are National Championship calibre and Kelly and staff have everything under control.
First step develop a consistent winning program (mission accomplished) . Second step start winning National Championships.
The Irish Nation will call Jack Coan "Caesar" after this season. You all will see.

I judge Coan on his last year at Wisconsin. He is a stud. Spring games don't mean a thing.
I don't believe Pyne was ever a serious candidate to start. He just didn't look the part in real game action. Coan will put up Heisman numbers this year under Kelly and Rees and the abundance of talented receivers will be a big reason.
I am excited that you liked the young Olineman. You are a SAVANT on the workings of the Oline.

*** I have to admit. I haven't watched any practices except the first one. And I didn't even know when the spring game was on so I missed that.
This is a good sign. When the Irish won championships in 73, 77, and 88 and the close call in 93 I never followed Irish football until the first game.
I have a quiet confidence that the Irish are National Championship calibre and Kelly and staff have everything under control.
First step develop a consistent winning program (mission accomplished) . Second step start winning National Championships.
The Irish Nation will call Jack Coan "Caesar" after this season. You all will see.
Hi Bodi,
since I’m hoping (not predicting) that we start Baker and Fisher and Rocco with Paterson at center, most here would use the term crazy rather than Savant! Starting of course means they EARNED it by their play. I think it’s possible, but highly unlikely...but these three in particular have future star written all over them.

Our defense looks to be really good this year. Our defensive backs have been my major concern, but Hart and Lewis and Henderson looked really good in this scrimmage. We know we have All American Hamilton back at safety, and we have good candidates in Brown and Griffith to play the other safety. At any rate, I think we do have the talent on defense to play championship level football.

But in today’s college game, championships are won by teams that average north of forty points per game, and we have consistently been well below this; and same last season with a three year starting QB and one of the best OLs in the country. Not at all confident that we can get that kind of offensive production with four new linemen, a new QB, and mostly unproven receivers. But, I think we have the pieces to make this kind of run by seasons end, and the key is for our defense to win some early games while we learn to take the training wheels off the offense.

The annual change of rosters that is college football makes for early optimism, and I’m all for thinking this team can win the NC if all the stars properly align.

Hi Bodi,
since I’m hoping (not predicting) that we start Baker and Fisher and Rocco with Paterson at center, most here would use the term crazy rather than Savant! Starting of course means they EARNED it by their play. I think it’s possible, but highly unlikely...but these three in particular have future star written all over them.

Our defense looks to be really good this year. Our defensive backs have been my major concern, but Hart and Lewis and Henderson looked really good in this scrimmage. We know we have All American Hamilton back at safety, and we have good candidates in Brown and Griffith to play the other safety. At any rate, I think we do have the talent on defense to play championship level football.

But in today’s college game, championships are won by teams that average north of forty points per game, and we have consistently been well below this; and same last season with a three year starting QB and one of the best OLs in the country. Not at all confident that we can get that kind of offensive production with four new linemen, a new QB, and mostly unproven receivers. But, I think we have the pieces to make this kind of run by seasons end, and the key is for our defense to win some early games while we learn to take the training wheels off the offense.

The annual change of rosters that is college football makes for early optimism, and I’m all for thinking this team can win the NC if all the stars properly align.
Baker really struggled and looks like he needs another year in the weight room before he's completely ready.

Blake is ready to go. Id be shocked at this point if he isn't starting game 1

Reactions: Kelso86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT