ADVERTISEMENT

My assessment of the spring game

NCDomer1

I've posted how many times?
Sep 23, 2005
The defense is going to be completely nasty. They are fast and deep at three levels especially off of the edge. I was impressed with Simon making plays all over the field. The safeties hit hard absolutely loved be Alujion kid.
Buckner is going to be a star, but Coan will start at first. Both o-line freshman did good. One will start before the end of this year. Tyree did well. Key's looks like an all American as well as Lenzy. This year should be fun

I sure am counting on being able to watch the spring game on some sort of repeat.

Good to hear about Keys and Lenzy, I'm very much counting on them to step up and be the guys at WR next season. It's their turn....

Will it be on youtube? I watched it on Peacock after downloading the app on my Roku Smart TV. After only seeing 3 minute practice highlights from ground level, it was great watching with a game view.

Reactions: Kelso86
Will it be on youtube? I watched it on Peacock after downloading the app on my Roku Smart TV. After only seeing 3 minute practice highlights from ground level, it was great watching with a game view.
I'm assuming it will. A quick youtube search shows you that the Ole miss and Cal spring games are available for viewing in what appears to be their entirety. That's if you type in ND spring game 2021.

So we'll see, I hope so. I would settle for like, thirty minutes of extended highlights as well.

I just read a post that said Peacock will retain the rights to show the replay. Can people download Peacock to their computer or tablet.

The Irish have the best team in college football this year. We won't lose any games.

Reactions: sluggo69
The Irish have the best team in college football this year. We won't lose any games.

no concern over the qb play? It wasn’t exactly 3 yards in a cloud of dust out there today. BK was tossing it around. I don’t want to hear “it’s the spring game, there not showing anything” excuse.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
It was just a practice scrimmage, but neither Coan or Pyne gave any reason to feel good about our QB position. Coan looked rusty and made some terrible throws. lucky to have only one INT. His red zone throws were particularly poor. And Pyne was worse. As is often the case with this annual game/scrimmage, the young back up performed the best, by a wide margin. Buchner’s athleticism, strong arm and quick release were on display. Lots of work to be done between now and Florida St.
I thought Cam Hart had a really good outing today, very active with coverage and quick with his reads, and strong tackler. Thought the same of Kiser. The defense wasn’t showing a lot scheme wise, but they didn’t need to. Very talented front seven and their two deep, and the defensive backs looked damn good as a whole, especially since this has been an area of concern. Lewis, Hart, Henderson and Brown each played really well. I was in and out of the room and missed probably a third of the plays, and disappointed I didn’t see Griffith make many plays. Hope these were my misses more than a reflection of his play today. OL is a work in progress, but Rocco and Fisher are damn impressive. I don’t particularly like these games, but was hungry for some ND football after a Spring with daily 3 minute vignettes and essentially zero reporting of observations, etc...

It was just a practice scrimmage, but neither Coan or Pyne gave any reason to feel good about our QB position. Coan looked rusty and made some terrible throws. lucky to have only one INT. His red zone throws were particularly poor. And Pyne was worse. As is often the case with this annual game/scrimmage, the young back up performed the best, by a wide margin. Buchner’s athleticism, strong arm and quick release were on display. Lots of work to be done between now and Florida St.
I thought Cam Hart had a really good outing today, very active with coverage and quick with his reads, and strong tackler. Thought the same of Kiser. The defense wasn’t showing a lot scheme wise, but they didn’t need to. Very talented front seven and their two deep, and the defensive backs looked damn good as a whole, especially since this has been an area of concern. Lewis, Hart, Henderson and Brown each played really well. I was in and out of the room and missed probably a third of the plays, and disappointed I didn’t see Griffith make many plays. Hope these were my misses more than a reflection of his play today. OL is a work in progress, but Rocco and Fisher are damn impressive. I don’t particularly like these games, but was hungry for some ND football after a Spring with daily 3 minute vignettes and essentially zero reporting of observations, etc...
I totally agree on Cam Hart played his butt off. It was refreshing to see Buckner connect on a 50 yard bomb to Lenzy when was the last time that happened. Buckner had two nice drives according for 14 of the 20 points scored. The other two QB's need work.

So it looks like the Tyler Buchner obsessing is going to begin in earnest. We just got through with three years of Book hating from a good portion of the fan base, and now the pendulum's swinging the other way and the Buchner worshipping is upon us. Lovely.....

In any case, maybe the spring game won't be available for easy viewing on youtube, at least not right away. Nobody cares about Cal or Ole Miss' spring game so nobody tries to monetize it, but ND football is big business so they're going to strictly block anyone trying to watch it for free.

They do have a few clips available in which Jack Coan and Pyne look great. Or fine, or whatever, they don't suck... and the usual ND pundits are saying that Coan still looks like the odds-on guy and nothing's changed there. But among the grass roots, this is where the conspiracy theories get going and where cults get started, so the whispering of Tyler Buchner's greatness is already beginning. And the timing couldn't be anymore perfect. The program is finally rid of a pretender like Ian Book, and on the very same day Buchner makes his first appearance and the unwashed masses swear their new allegiance...

Reactions: 4-4-3
The Blue Gold game is equivalent to spring training in mlb. It’s mildly entertaining but basically worthless when it comes to evaluating players.

I am very concerned about our offense this year. I think our defense will have a couple holes, mainly in the defensive backfield, but should be fine against most of our opponents.

Played basketball this morning with a former player. He said the players all hate the spring game, and it’s really not a great barometer of what’s going on.

Would love to know who is starting OL. Has that been established? Or will those battles go on through the summer? I saw none of the spring game....

The Blue Gold game is equivalent to spring training in mlb. It’s mildly entertaining but basically worthless when it comes to evaluating players.

I am very concerned about our offense this year. I think our defense will have a couple holes, mainly in the defensive backfield, but should be fine against most of our opponents.
Yooper
From what I saw yesterday, ND has three solid corners Lewis, Bracey and Hart after that I did not see much. The safety play was solid without Hamilton playing. I think the defense is going to be top 10 in the country

Hopefully that's one good, reliable takeaway from notoriously non-predictive spring football games. And that's that the defense as a whole is not going to miss a beat with our hotshot new DC taking over. Because as awesome as Ian Book has been for us, and as much as he's carried this program on his back.... our defense has been studly more or less ever since BVG left, and I'm really hoping it stays that way.

Played basketball this morning with a former player. He said the players all hate the spring game, and it’s really not a great barometer of what’s going on.

Would love to know who is starting OL. Has that been established? Or will those battles go on through the summer? I saw none of the spring game....
Been saying that forever. Coaches hate them too.

So it looks like the Tyler Buchner obsessing is going to begin in earnest. We just got through with three years of Book hating from a good portion of the fan base, and now the pendulum's swinging the other way and the Buchner worshipping is upon us. Lovely.....

In any case, maybe the spring game won't be available for easy viewing on youtube, at least not right away. Nobody cares about Cal or Ole Miss' spring game so nobody tries to monetize it, but ND football is big business so they're going to strictly block anyone trying to watch it for free.

They do have a few clips available in which Jack Coan and Pyne look great. Or fine, or whatever, they don't suck... and the usual ND pundits are saying that Coan still looks like the odds-on guy and nothing's changed there. But among the grass roots, this is where the conspiracy theories get going and where cults get started, so the whispering of Tyler Buchner's greatness is already beginning. And the timing couldn't be anymore perfect. The program is finally rid of a pretender like Ian Book, and on the very same day Buchner makes his first appearance and the unwashed masses swear their new allegiance...
Savvy

It’s not that easy. (What you described about Book n Buchner) and it’s also not entirely accurate. Book did amazing over four years. His 2 limitations were on display only because he was so good in all the other facets of his game I would say his limitations were long throws and finding open receivers. But he was damn good

Buchner comes highly heralded. Book was not. Hence expectations are in place

I have gone on record saying Coan is not the answer. I see him very susceptible to blocked passes and ints. Pyne I see as accurate but needing too much time to release.

I am total Buchner. I just hope Kelly is not blowing smoke and is serious about playing the best QB.

If that happens - Coan becomes ala Wimbush at UCF, a transfer who is benched. And Pyne transfers. Angeli is number 3 behind Powlus. And Powlus is a snap from starting. I assume Clark has one year left

TelX

Agree as always. Please see my comment below about the QB situation and comment

Savvy

It’s not that easy. (What you described about Book n Buchner) and it’s also not entirely accurate. Book did amazing over four years. His 2 limitations were on display only because he was so good in all the other facets of his game I would say his limitations were long throws and finding open receivers. But he was damn good

I have gone on record saying Coan is not the answer. I see him very susceptible to blocked passes and ints. Pyne I see as accurate but needing too much time to release.

I am total Buchner. I just hope Kelly is not blowing smoke and is serious about playing the best QB.

If that happens - Coan becomes ala Wimbush at UCF, a transfer who is benched. And Pyne transfers. Angeli is number 3 behind Powlus. And Powlus is a snap from starting. I assume Clark has one year left
I know, I know.... I love Tyler Buchner too, I fully expect him to win the job at some point, and would be disappointed and surprised if he didn't. I just threw it out there, I couldn't help but notice the same old routine.... For the most part it seems as if it's just plain not in the cards that Buchner's going to start as true frosh, he didn't even play HS football as senior as well all know, and BK kind of looks like he's deliberately trying to discourage any expectations in that regard. And we have a pretty capable one-year grad transfer who's all set up to be a perfect transitional player to segue from the Book era to whatever comes next, most likely Tyler Buchner.,..

But you know there's going to be that cadre for whom that's not good enough. And it's going to Buchner, Buchner, Buchner..... So that's all. That's all I was saying.

Reactions: theskibro
I know, I know.... I love Tyler Buchner too, I fully expect him to win the job at some point, and would be disappointed and surprised if he didn't. I just threw it out there, I couldn't help but notice the same old routine.... For the most part it seems as if it's just plain not in the cards that Buchner's going to start as true frosh, he didn't even play HS football as senior as well all know, and BK kind of looks like he's deliberately trying to discourage any expectations in that regard. And we have a pretty capable one-year grad transfer who's all set up to be a perfect transitional player to segue from the Book era to whatever comes next, most likely Tyler Buchner.,..

But you know there's going to be that cadre for whom that's not good enough. And it's going to Buchner, Buchner, Buchner..... So that's all. That's all I was saying.
I’m with you. I honestly do not think Kelly gives the job to Buchner. Hope I’m wrong. In typical Kelly fashion, Coan will have to lose a game or two before we see Buchner. Really hope Kelly proves me wrong

I’m with you. I honestly do not think Kelly gives the job to Buchner. Hope I’m wrong. In typical Kelly fashion, Coan will have to lose a game or two before we see Buchner. Really hope Kelly proves me wrong
Coan is better right now. Why wouldhe give him the job

The competition will go into the fall. Patterson will start somewhere. That we know

The competition will go into the fall. Patterson will start somewhere. That we know
Are you concerned that with 4 open slots, no one has really stepped up yet and taken one?

Maybe someone has. But with limited media and fan access, it’s hard to really grasp everything that’s happened.

Are you concerned that with 4 open slots, no one has really stepped up yet and taken one?

Maybe someone has. But with limited media and fan access, it’s hard to really grasp everything that’s happened.
A little bit. Looks like Correll will start at center. Lugg will probably start somewhere. Then Patterson.

That is 3 probable starters. I think Big Blake wins a spot at either tackle spot. The 5th spot is up for grabs.

We didnt have our best lineman all spring. That will help. I think theyll be fine by game 4

Reactions: IrishMike409
Line looks like it needs lots and lots of practice. Coan was the best QB by far but didn’t look much better than good so that’s a concern. WR is concerning to me but lots of talent. Need to see someone emerge like Boykin, McKinley and Ben. I didn’t see that from Lenzy, Keys or really anyone. Davis looked good. Johnson and Styles looked the part. Berong played well. Tyree good, at times the entire offense for Coan. Defense across the board looked great. Line, Line backers and secondary. No worries there.

Marist was all over the place on defense. Wow did he have a game. Kid from Germany has some upside I think many of us missed. Really like Hart at corner too. Simon had a good game as well. Defense just looked loaded to me. I do think we will all see just how good book was unfortunately.

This is where many ND fans’ belief systems interconnect with religious eschatology and the so-called science of the last things.

There must always be the next messiah or umpteenth second coming, the ONE who will make it all right. And if a new QB is perceived as THE ONE, Katy bar the door. The floodgates of worship will, themselves, runneth over.

And, of course, demonization awaits any and all pretenders as you point out.

From what I observed, a much younger Lou Somogyi – may he rest in peace – often professed somewhat mystical ND sentiments as well, but he usually did it in connection with number sequences and/or cycles.

Or by invoking the celebrated “NOTRE DAME MOMENT,” by now an almost extinct species.

And speaking of monetization, which you cited in another context, I see they’re putting out a memorial Lou Somogyi print issue. I sure hope it’s a free-bee for ALL MEMBERS, but certainly for those on the paying board.

I’d hate to think they’re monetizing Lou’s death. To me, that would be a travesty and certainly not anything he’d have ever wished to be a part of.

Does anyone here know? I rarely if ever post on the paying board.

Last edited:
Savvy

Hey Ski...Before yesterday’s scrimmage, I had only seen selective clips of Coan as the Wisconsin starter. He had good pocket presence and showed accuracy and a better than average arm. Urban‘s brief film breakdown of Coan making passes damn near went viral across ND nation. I was of the opinion that we had lucked into an excellent one year solution. That’s not the player I saw yesterday. There can be lots of reasons for this. He’s rusty...he didn’t have his usual receivers as these were split between blue and gold...it was supposedly windy...the OL was getting beat by the DL...he wasn’t there to use his legs, etc... And, it was a practice! Tasking all that into account, I was still disappointed and I don’t see how anyone can feel confident after watching both him and Pyne. Both threw an interception, and both threw balls that could have been interceptions. Both made some really bad decisions. I expected to see more zip on Coan‘s throws, and Pyne‘s were pretty much as I expected. Coan seemed kind of robotic to me while Pyne seemed to have a bit of swagger. Both made some really good throws, but way too many poor throws or poor decisions to be anointed starter based on that one scrimmage.
Buchner came in and his athleticism, and quick release just jumped off the screen compared to what we had been watching with Coan and Pyne. He also made some weak throws, and a couple poor decisions, but overall he was by far the most effective QB that day.
We all know better than to reach conclusions on who should start based on a two hour scrimmage with players divvied up to achieve balance, etc... As a veteran, Coan may have been simply trying to get through the drudgery of a contrived game setting, while Buchner was likely an adrenaline pumping machine excited at the opportunity to play. But, like you, I hope Kelly is willing to give Buchner the opportunity to win the job, freshman status and all. I believe Kelly plays those he thinks gives us the best chance of winning, but I also think Kelly places a premium on mistake free play, and that’s one of the reasons Book was a three year starter. The general consensus is that the veteran Coan is likely to make a lot fewer mistakes than an early enrollee freshman, but that was not evident yesterday. Coan is a one year rental, and Buchner has the possibility of being special, and we all long for the later, sooner than later.

coan didn’t look that great but he looked better than pyne to me. Wilkins dropped a td and coan badly over through Davis on easy td. Coan could see the field, pyne struggled to see downfield.

fisher will start

cam hart looks legit

dline could be amazing.

lbs struggled in pass coverage

no consistency at WR

coan didn’t look that great but he looked better than pyne to me. Wilkins dropped a td and coan badly over through Davis on easy td. Coan could see the field, pyne struggled to see downfield.

fisher will start

cam hart looks legit

dline could be amazing.

lbs struggled in pass coverage

no consistency at WR
Are the issues fixable? Do you think anything could be chronic problems that plague us all year?

Are the issues fixable? Do you think anything could be chronic problems that plague us all year?

They are all fixable. Don't read too much into Saturday's glorified practice session. QB's were off limits (so, how would they have done in real pressure is unknown at this time), it was windy, which made throwign the ball a little difficult (yes, they will need to get used to it as well). Buchner looked good in spurts, also had some bad throws, expected for someone who has not played a competitive snap in 2 years. Spindler and Fisher have the ability to command a lot of snaps this year. Fall practice will be fun to watch!

Defense has the ability to be a big strength this year, announcers kept talking about them being 3 deep and getting people enough game reps.

All in all, it was entertaining -- but like I said, take a lot of what was displayed with a grain of salt.

They are all fixable. Don't read too much into Saturday's glorified practice session. QB's were off limits (so, how would they have done in real pressure is unknown at this time), it was windy, which made throwign the ball a little difficult (yes, they will need to get used to it as well). Buchner looked good in spurts, also had some bad throws, expected for someone who has not played a competitive snap in 2 years. Spindler and Fisher have the ability to command a lot of snaps this year. Fall practice will be fun to watch!

Defense has the ability to be a big strength this year, announcers kept talking about them being 3 deep and getting people enough game reps.

All in all, it was entertaining -- but like I said, take a lot of what was displayed with a grain of salt.
Exactly. Spring games are the absolute worst format in which to evaluate players.

2nd safety looks to be still a ?. Houston has been praised but that doesn't always mean much. He didn't do anything in the BG game and seemed to be playing really soft coverage.

Hard to tell with the offense because QBs had a make shift oline, not the starting WRs, no austin or mayers, red jersey, and williams was given a soft load.

Slot corner has options this year. I think the D might actually be better this year than last.

It's really on the oline, qb, and WR position how good we can be. We have talent at all 3 though, just not proven.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT