ADVERTISEMENT

MSU Turf

shooter1977

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Nov 13, 2002
Tomorrow's game will be played on natural grass, as it should be. It's interesting that ND's first game ever on astroturf was at Michigan State in 1970 (a 29-0 win for the lads).

I know this horse has suffered a 1,000 deaths on the message board, but if Sparty can play on natural grass in East Lansing, how can ND not? We're in year four of field turf and our home record has been atrocious on it. Bring back grass stains and dirty uniforms!

So basically this weekend we have a chance to "knock some 'penis' in the dirt", we have a chance to get "3 yards and a cloud of dust", and we have a chance to "throw some sand in the enemy's eye"??? I like it, I like it alot!

Tomorrow's game will be played on natural grass, as it should be. It's interesting that ND's first game ever on astroturf was at Michigan State in 1970 (a 29-0 win for the lads).

I know this horse has suffered a 1,000 deaths on the message board, but if Sparty can play on natural grass in East Lansing, how can ND not? We're in year four of field turf and our home record has been atrocious on it. Bring back grass stains and dirty uniforms!

"Bring back grass stains and dirty uniforms"

When ND can grow and maintain a grass field, that may be fine -- the last 6-7 seasons with grass were horrendous playing conditions for a major university. Now they have a consistent playing surface week to week.

I like the new field turf. It looks 100 times better than that worn out grass field. You know Kelso the field problem dates back decades. I would like 1,000.00 for each new type grass they've tried on that field since 1930.
Perhaps they could have checked the pride at the door and phoned up Penn State university. Their ag program is state of the art and they have an amazing grass field weekly.

I do not like the turf......I used to love coming out of the tunnel on a Friday afternoon in September or October to the look of the Natural grass. The turf just feels so....artificial. Heading back to ND soon to see the finished stadium....I wonder if I will like all the new touches or realize.....they just look...artificial? I somehow thing I will be in a long line for the bathroom and miss the old troughs....I wonder if the new signs made to look old and the brick on the concrete columns will make up for the wait?

In regards to growing grass at ND it can be done but you need to invest in heated field with better drainage and grow lights as the stadium expansion (original and new) has reduced the amount of sun in the fall on the turf. Grass needs sun and warmth to grow and this can be done but not cheaply.

It's good to know that the MSU field is natural grass. Alert Irish players and inform them the ND flag will stick during the post game flag planting. Baker Mayfield found out that flag poles don't stick in turf.

search

When ND can grow and maintain a grass field, that may be fine -- the last 6-7 seasons with grass were horrendous playing conditions for a major university. Now they have a consistent playing surface week to week.

Always loved natural grass fields, but Notre Dame's field never held up. And it wasn't just the last six or seven years. Go watch a video of Eric Penick's 85-yard run against USC in '73. That game was played in mid to late October, and the field was a mess.

Last edited:
The problem probably is that ND doesn't have an agriculture department or a golf greenskeepers major while some of the large state universities do. Those schools use the expertise from those departments to develop good natural grass fields.

Go watch the end of the Miami game in '88, the Stanford goal line stand in '12, FSU in '93, the PSU game in '92. All were well past Columbus Day and the grass looked fine.

Worst case, the turf is a little thin for the two November games. Just like the backyard you grew up playing on -- that's ND football.

Reactions: Bodizephax
The Notre Dame players love the surface because of the great traction and it cushions the fall of the players. Concrete Bodi (?) I guess you like playing and watching extreme football!

and some blood? when was the last time you saw bloodied dirty players?

Like you I believe football should be played on grass, not carpet. As strange as it may sound one of the biggest reasons is expense. Living in Georgia, specifically in the area where the field turf is produced, many of the high schools have gone to it, at least half. The reason is cost, grass requires upkeep, resodding, mowing, watering, painting. While the expense of the field turf will be huge for 1 year, there is no expense until you replace it.

I wonder if Drew makes that sack on tuft. The QB lost his footing as much as it was Drew making the tackle.

I do not like the turf......I used to love coming out of the tunnel on a Friday afternoon in September or October to the look of the Natural grass. The turf just feels so....artificial. Heading back to ND soon to see the finished stadium....I wonder if I will like all the new touches or realize.....they just look...artificial? I somehow thing I will be in a long line for the bathroom and miss the old troughs....I wonder if the new signs made to look old and the brick on the concrete columns will make up for the wait?

In regards to growing grass at ND it can be done but you need to invest in heated field with better drainage and grow lights as the stadium expansion (original and new) has reduced the amount of sun in the fall on the turf. Grass needs sun and warmth to grow and this can be done but not cheaply.
65 and old school all the way BUT I was there for the Georgia game and except for all the red in the stadium, I loved the new look and features including the Jumbotron.

Go Irish.. !

I will never forget that opening game against USF a few years ago. First game of the season and our field looked pathetic. That put me solidly on the field turf bandwagon.

Reactions: Kelso86
Like you I believe football should be played on grass, not carpet. As strange as it may sound one of the biggest reasons is expense. Living in Georgia, specifically in the area where the field turf is produced, many of the high schools have gone to it, at least half. The reason is cost, grass requires upkeep, resodding, mowing, watering, painting. While the expense of the field turf will be huge for 1 year, there is no expense until you replace it.
In high school, you can also practice on the field turf stadium field, which is defacto like adding an additional playing field at every school. As you know from being in Georgia, getting caught messing with a grass high school football field during the season was punishable by death in most counties. And yes, that includes the coaches of the other sports at that school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT